Sign in to follow this  
Sjarn

Memory filling up, swap partition filling up, and then computer freeze

I'm not sure if this is a Linux thing, or a new client thing, but I'm running Xubuntu so I'll start here.  With the new Linux downloaded client, the longer I play, the more memory the game takes up - and the memory reported in task manager used by Wurm gets larger and larger.  Eventually, once the memory is filled I will see the swap partition fill, and then eventually the entire computer will freeze.  Only a hard reboot will work.  So I'm wondering, were there startup parameters set in the old JNLP client that constrained the memory the program could use, that we need to use with the new Client?  I've been simply executing the WurmLauncher file that extracted from wurmlauncher.tar.gz.

I see this as well, on Linux Mint. Memory keeps stable (as reported by system monitor) if I stay on my deed, travel however will cause heavy memory use, seen up to 12 GB used by the launcher. Only "solution" I know is to relog once in a while when travelling.

Can I blame Java garbage collection? :)

I have freezes from time to time, OpenSuse Leap 42.3, on my NB. But it rather seems to be linked to overheat. When the hardware cycles down the CPUs, Java seems to run crazy, and stuck in a  driver interrupt routine. Sometimes killall -9 java helps, sometimes hard reset only.

3 hours ago, Eobersig said:

I see this as well, on Linux Mint. Memory keeps stable (as reported by system monitor) if I stay on my deed, travel however will cause heavy memory use, seen up to 12 GB used by the launcher. Only "solution" I know is to relog once in a while when travelling.

Exactly the same for me.  If I stay on deed, seems to be OK - or at least much slower growth.  I just took a trip to do a mission and the memory use went from 1.8 GB to 11.8GB by the time I got back home. 

Happened to me today - at least something that looked like that. Was out in the wild after a long travel on Jackal then all what happened was a 1-2 min long swap thrashing even making it impossible to open up atop to see what's happening. Then the client window just crashed and all went back to normal. This is something I did not experience for the last few years.

Yes, if I can close the client before it completely fills up the swap, or the game crashes, then everything goes back to normal on the rest of the computer as well.  But if the memory and swap file fill up enough, the desktop and mouse freeze, and I have to manually power it off. 

I usually force java garbage collection or relog when I notice graphic stuttering or see the memory usage start rising and yes this is when I am travelling, used to have the exact same issue in the windows version as well but I am not sure if it still does.

How do you externally force the JVM to do garbage collection?  I wasn't aware that was possible.  I'd certainly try that if you let me know how you do it.  I can relog, but I shouldn't have to (and didn't have to before two patches ago). 

I have to say that while the increased memory use is relatively slow, it's consistent enough that I suspect it's more likely some sort of memory leak somewhere.

1 hour ago, Sjarn said:

How do you externally force the JVM to do garbage collection?

Simplest method is starting another instance of the client, should suffice even without logging in an alt.

Doesn't seem to help.  Unless I logout, and login again the memory use continues to increase.  Easiest way to replicate this is to start 2-3 clients simultaneously.  I've put the Task Manager on my top panel, and can watch as it slowly increased over the course of a couple hours play.  Eventually the memory will be full and the swap will start to fill.  Once both are full the computer freezes.

On 10/8/2019 at 1:25 PM, Anunnaki said:

I usually force java garbage collection or relog when I notice graphic stuttering or see the memory usage start rising and yes this is when I am travelling, used to have the exact same issue in the windows version as well but I am not sure if it still does.

Not just a Linux thing, happens on Windows too. 

Like stated above closing clients down fixes problem till memory fills up again. 

So this went away for me around November... and now it's back.  As I play, the memory usage keeps going up until the computer completely freezes up.  I have a performance monitor, and you can see the amount of memory being used by the application going up up up.

On 10/5/2019 at 6:28 PM, Eobersig said:

Any info on this... are there options to set parameters to launcher... like we could with jnlp?

This is on the border of .. acceptable.. or that's just me thinking like that.. but restarting the game once in a while.. screams.. issues...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Finnn said:

Any info on this

I don't know enough about technical details, sorry, can't give advice.

1 hour ago, Eobersig said:

I don't know enough about technical details, sorry, can't give advice.

Thanks, Eobersig.  This seems to be a programming issue.  As a Moderator are you able to bring it to the attention of someone who might be able to look into it?  Or do we just wait until someone from the Dev Team sees the post themselves?

unsure if it works like that.. but can we summon @Alectrysand some dev reply on that question above?

Could be REALLY useful if there are options and could be shared in toolbelt-section or pinned somewhere.. as performance is a thing.. that matters

Confirmed on Ubuntu - just been watching the memory comsumption for about an hour and slowly RAM is being eaten up by the client. Consumed while travelling it seems, if I stay static for minutes the RAM use is static as well.

If I move RGROW is constantly at 15-30MB.

Even if I stay still RGROW is never negative so RAM does not get freed up ever (there is a -168K RGROW but it is increased back in a few secs).

The "cost" of sailing from Tap Dance to Cele north shore is about 1.5GB RAM apparently.

Edited by Jaz

21 hours ago, Sjarn said:

Thanks, Eobersig.  This seems to be a programming issue.  As a Moderator are you able to bring it to the attention of someone who might be able to look into it?  Or do we just wait until someone from the Dev Team sees the post themselves?

Can't promise anything but I'll ask a developer to have a look here.

Some more testing shows it is definitely a "travel bug" - standing 2h in front of a forge and RAM use is at a constant of 2.6GB.

On 1/28/2020 at 1:59 PM, Jaz said:

Some more testing shows it is definitely a "travel bug" - standing 2h in front of a forge and RAM use is at a constant of 2.6GB.

Same test results here.  Travelling around dramatically increases RAM use.

This should be at least partially addressed with this month's update

Let me know if it's any better or if it needs some more work.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 10:42 AM, Samool said:

Let me know if it's any better or if it needs some more work.

Yes, it does appear to be better. I'll try and give it a real test and do some exploring over the weekend, but I haven't had an issue since the last update.  Thanks!