Sign in to follow this  
Samool

Full Steam Ahead

Yes, players will have different ideas. But the premise of the argument stems from will there be multiboxing in steam?  We are all indirectly picking side with out a clear answer.  - "will steam allow multiboxing?"  If not, will the steam version one day allow it? If Wurm Online should possible merge with steam version of Wurm.

It is necessary to have fun playing the game though and for a bunch of people multiboxing is part of the experience for a few reasons which increases their fun.

(tbh, I just wanted to use the word necessary too ^_^ )

I have to admit though, I have a hard time to think about how WO Steam would fare with a single character per person "enforcement".

To many "IFs", even looking at current WO - there are not many main priests (I only know one) and even when it had a larger population the majority of priests was alts from what I saw.

(correct me if I am wrong)

But if the option to have a alt priest was gone... mhh... would be an interesting experiment I guess, but I am not sure it would be a good idea to turn the Steam version (whichs obvious aim is to keep the game alife and going) into a experiment. 🤔

Looking forward to an official word on this when it happens. :)

I saw the post for Wurm Unlimited on Steam saying no more updates. Can we get an update on when this is hitting Steam? Have a lot of people eagerly awaiting a fresh server / Steam.

On 1/20/2020 at 12:39 AM, Milkdrop said:

I have to admit though, I have a hard time to think about how WO Steam would fare with a single character per person "enforcement".

I'm not even sure how you would enforce it. A second physical machine, or a VM, with a second steam account and you'd have no problem running a second character. Disallow that and you'd disallow families from playing at the same time. There's no variation there where anybody wins, so they really shouldn't even want to enforce something like that.

8 minutes ago, Ecrir said:

I'm not even sure how you would enforce it. A second physical machine, or a VM, with a second steam account and you'd have no problem running a second character. Disallow that and you'd disallow families from playing at the same time. There's no variation there where anybody wins, so they really shouldn't even want to enforce something like that.

EverQuest had the same issue when people shouted for a "no multibox server", they introduced "Truebox Servers" which only allows one connection per physical PC.

They are able to detect VMs as well, people tried to trick them or hide the fact they were playing on a VM but nope, people ended up banned anyhow.

There is ways to make multiboxing a hassle, it would not be impossible... but you would be under the permanent fear of being banned if someone figured it out, how much fun is that then?

Generally speaking, whatever they could do would make multiboxing a hassle more than it is worth to bother with.

However, the effort and time the staff would have to put into keeping such a multibox ban up would - imho - be better placed into other game features.

On the other hand, I can't see them specially changing the login process and / or how Steam handles the client so it can be ran multiple times for the same reason.

My best guess is they wont specially put a ban on it, but they wont make it easy for people to multibox either.

So you either need a VM / more machines to run multiple accounts or pull that WU trick if it would even work that way - given you still have multiple Steam accounts to pay premium time on and your ingame char will be bound to.

As said, can only wait for some official news on the topic and then go from there.

5 minutes ago, Milkdrop said:

My best guess is they wont specially put a ban on it, but they wont make it easy for people to multibox either.

So you either need a VM / more machines to run multiple accounts or pull that WU trick if it would even work that way - given you still have multiple Steam accounts to pay premium time on and your ingame char will be bound to.

I doubt that Code Club has the knowledge and the money/ressources to implement an anti-VM technology. They currently haven't even got anything to prevent the usage of public VPNs.

The WU trick works because the username is not fully connected to the steam account and you can have many usernames per steam account, if WOS has a one single username per steam account policy then the WU trick wouldn't work.

4 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

I doubt that Code Club has the knowledge and the money/ressources to implement an anti-VM technology. They currently haven't even got anything to prevent the usage of public VPNs.

13 minutes ago, Milkdrop said:

However, the effort and time the staff would have to put into keeping such a multibox ban up would - imho - be better placed into other game features.

As I said myself, in simpler terms "they don't have the time/resources" for this cause there is a lot of other critical stuff that needs to be done.

4 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

The WU trick works because the username is not fully connected to the steam account and you can have many usernames per steam account, if WOS has a one single username per steam account policy then the WU trick wouldn't work.

I never played on WU so I wasn't sure how exactly this works but thanks for the information.

Guess my point still stands, wait for some official news. 😕

As for incoming pvp server on steam, after pve release, are there any plans before, to fix bugs in valrei map?

When Valrei map gonna be fixed to refresh immidiately, after moves, not after some unknown period of time or relogging (not always)?

When Valrei map will be fixed to not show double item and show proper item icons and numbers?

Currently, people use external maps, that work properly. I guess players gonna expect the same from an in-game map?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

As for incoming pvp server on steam, after pve release, are there any plans before, to fix bugs in valrei map?

When Valrei map gonna be fixed to refresh immidiately, after moves, not after some unknown period of time or relogging (not always)?

When Valrei map will be fixed to not show double item and show proper item icons and numbers?

Currently, people use external maps, that work properly. I guess players gonna expect the same from an in-game map?

The whole Valrei & epic stuff is bugged, best would be to exclude that from WOS

• Like 1

I'd like to have some clarification on how PvP will be on Steam as I've heard different versions of PvP being offered - ranging from a constantly moving PvP zone on the PvE server to a fully seperate PvP server.

I am just wondering what will be come of this incredible useful skill on steam pve only server. The Hammers>Warhammer. Like wise how it will effect WO also.

Edited by gorgian

5 hours ago, Ecrir said:

It's not hard to enforce it. Already been done. Link steam_id to the player_id in the Wurm database and then make it so only one id works. So even if you create five characters you can make it so only the first one works period.

The edge case you mention is the tricky one because of the way family accounts work in steam. Still ways to handle it, just a lot trickier.