Sign in to follow this  
Samool

Full Steam Ahead

1 hour ago, gorgian said:

Don't worry you can bank money on there being alts. Nothing stopping anyone from having more then one steam account. 

Sure you can have more than one steam client, but logging out and logging in constantly isnt QoL. Also if the steam version costs something, you have to pay that for every client + prem and everything else. 

Besides, when a new player finds out that you need 2 accounts in order to play efficiantly and in order to do that, you need 2 steam clients? Seriously in 2020? They are gonna quit on that instance.

Virtual desktops or new computer might do the trick here, but who bothers with that? If dev team gets it to work as it is now, then sorry for the fuss, but i doubt it. 

Prolly not affecting me that much, but i bet this hasnt even been considered yet. 🙄

9 minutes ago, Themystrix said:

Sure you can have more than one steam client, but logging out and logging in constantly isnt QoL. Also if the steam version costs something, you have to pay that for every client + prem and everything else. 

Besides, when a new player finds out that you need 2 accounts in order to play efficiantly and in order to do that, you need 2 steam clients? Seriously in 2020? They are gonna quit on that instance.

Virtual desktops or new computer might do the trick here, but who bothers with that? If dev team gets it to work as it is now, then sorry for the fuss, but i doubt it. 

Prolly not affecting me that much, but i bet this hasnt even been considered yet. 🙄

We are now in the days of having multiple pc or laptops and or both. just like back in the day with tv's first every house hold had one then 2 then three. same with the radio. :) 

If a gamer sees a use for the extra client they will use it. trust me.

as for virtual ext ext i believe that's not allowed. but haven't looked in to it.

You don't need more than one account to play efficiently. Mmos with classes don't force players to login an entire raid by themselves. 

The steam client will be free, just the usual premium and silver costs.

51 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

You don't need more than one account to play efficiently.

Yes we do!  Some of us get B O R E D waiting for 6 actions to finish on one account.   Seriously Retro.... not being able to "multibox" is a major deterrent to convince people to play on that new server.... myself included.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

You don't need more than one account to play efficiently.

Come on, is the Community relations coordinator gonna tell us how many toons we need?

Or what is efficient for us.

You do realize that having several toons means several prems, but by all means throw the money out the window.

Several toons also means several deeds, are you gonna force us to have just one deed each also?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

You don't need more than one account to play efficiently. Mmos with classes don't force players to login an entire raid by themselves. 

The steam client will be free, just the usual premium and silver costs.

When i said that radical changes are needed for the game, this wasn't what i thought of lol, i am fine with one account my self only, but there is those who wants to have several toons in order to keep themselfs busy.

Me for example, i listen to music or play something else as well when i play wurm, usually a game doesn't require other games to keep one motivated. 

Goodluck on the path that you have chosen, its a huge risk.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Yes we do!  Some of us get B O R E D waiting for 6 actions to finish on one account.   Seriously Retro.... not being able to "multibox" is a major deterrent to convince people to play on that new server.... myself included.

I have to agree with Wargasm and what the others said here, if we can multibox or not is a major "play or don't play there" checkbox for me.

I planed to run the usual 1 Main + 3 Priests setup and have people from my gaming community join, but they are complete Wurm newbies and no one of them wants to play a Priest with the restrictions they have in place, so it falls upon me to run those and I don't mind either as I am used to it.

If we can not Multibox there then I won't play there, simple as that... and not sure anyone of my friends bothers then either.

Guess I will be saving a lot of money to spend elsewhere then.

This kinda ruins the day, I was really looking forward to the new servers and now it is all up in the air within a huge cloud of uncertainty and I don't like that at all.

Also, I can't see someone "maining" (well not like there is a option for alts eh? ha.) a Priest, unless they can do everything a non-Priest can do too but thats not going to happen either...

So guess the Steam Servers will have very little magic unless people fiddle around with multiple Steam accounts and then the question remains if the Staff will enforce a "no multiboxing" rule I guess.

Reading the forums in the past days has become a ratrher depressing thing to do.

Edited by Milkdrop
  • Like 2

I have no information regarding any plans to deny it, I was just stating its not a necessity, those who choose to do so may do so freely, but claiming it is necessary to play the game is incorrect. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Milkdrop said:

I have to agree with Wargasm and what the others said here, if we can multibox or not is a major "play or don't play there" checkbox for me. ..

Well, the restriction, to my knowledge, is from the Valve padded cell, not from Wurm. You may circumvent it by having several steam accounts, and there is even a circumvention inofficially offered by steam proper, look in this thread here (especially post by Sklo with link to earlier thread by Bdew)

18 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Well, the restriction, to my knowledge, is from the Valve padded cell, not from Wurm. You may circumvent it by having several steam accounts, and there is even a circumvention inofficially offered by steam proper, look in this thread here (especially post by Sklo with link to earlier thread by Bdew)

I know, I have been following threads of my interest and this all ties into it, thanks for pointing it out again and thus linking it up with this thread. :)

But if we don't voice our concerns now when the threat rears its head, we may just as well be steamrolled (ha!) by more dev decisions that will further shrink the population or people even interested to roll on the Steam server(s).

Staff needs to know what people think to avoid more messes like the upcoming Priest change, if they still make "bad" (point of view thing) decisions... well, at least now I won't have to blame myself for not speaking up when the time was there for it to do so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Milkdrop said:

Staff needs to know what people think to avoid more messes like the upcoming Priest change, if they still make "bad" (point of view thing) decisions...

We will make decisions with the future of the game in mind. They may disrupt the present and make people feel like it's attacking or discouraging them, but many long term issues have continued because "too late to change it now" there may be future issues that are addressed that go against what many might like, all I can promise is I will do my best to explain why any changes happen. 

• Like 6
  • Cat 1

18 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

We will make decisions with the future of the game in mind.

No offense, but the future of the game should entail having more players... yet we see decisions being made that drive people away.

(Ok, I admit I saw one or two people actually wanting to return... but the negative feedback I noticed overwhelmed the positive regarding the recent news.)

I was not affected by the priest issue, but it is again one of these things that is sprung upon people and bam... eat or die, cope with it or quit the game - even if not affected, living in constant fear of such happenings is something people consider as well.

It's one of these things where I would like to know the thought process behind it, like... did anyone of the decision makers even flinch when it was put on the table to be decided upon?

Did anyone not foresee the pile of... it would produce?

If anyone did predict the outcome of these news (tbh - taking away things never flew well here), then plans to keep the mess contained should have been made.

Sure, you are collecting suggestions to improve the remaining priests and spell lists and fix peoples concerns now after the outcry,

but imho this should have been in place and been in the news already, not after the fact - and that is just a bandaid for affected people too.

I play enough games to know that it is not common to even get such kind of information ahead of time and Wurm is one of the few that does it and I am certain there is a good lot of people who appreciate that. (I do)

Then again, I have no single recollection of any other MMO making such drastic changes to eradicate peoples money, effort and time (the most valuable of the three imho) put towards a certain goal in such a massive fashion, but thats maybe within the nature of the game...

As someone else said, in the end people will only have one option left... to vote with the wallet / not further spending their limited life time here - and it pains me to type that tbh.

18 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

all I can promise is I will do my best to explain why any changes happen. 

I and I guess plenty of others know and see that you are trying your best, I honestly don't envy you for your job - you don't make the calls  and in other areas have very little say as you say yourself on Streams, yet you get all the crap flung at you... sometimes I wonder if you are M. 🤔

I hope for everyone that is concerned the future holds more positive things for you to share with us.

And I hope I am still around then and be able to play on Steam, but guess we have to wait that one out. 😔

"Most people dont like change. They revolt against it unless they can clearly see the advantage it brings."

You need to embrace change if the alternative is disaster. For me its clear that Wurm needs to change. I trust the guys behind the wheel do whatever is better for the greater good.

- N

• Like 2

I'm glad there's some willingness to shake things up before presenting to a larger audience. There's an opportunity here to reinvent Wurm and truly innovate, but I think it's going to have only one shot. I'm afraid if this is just another server released with minor changes, SWO will just go the way of Jackal and Elevation III, and the crowd you're approaching now will likely be less forgiving about the shortcomings that make them leave after the initial rush.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I have no information regarding any plans to deny it, I was just stating its not a necessity, those who choose to do so may do so freely, but claiming it is necessary to play the game is incorrect. 

Keybinds are not necessary for play, but imagine without it. Some people feel the same way about alts, I'd imagine

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 1:25 PM, Madnath said:

Some people feel the same way about alts, I'd imagine

It isn't just about being able to chip bricks on 10 toons at a time either.... it's about how you grind accounts.  I don't want to have to log off completely to switch to my priest to do one prayer every 30 minutes (or is it 20?).  Same goes for sermons, meditation and lock picking.  

I feel very strongly about this, and I think the devs should too, considering premium alts (like priests) are a significant contribution to the Wurm subscription base.  Not only would they be losing out on alt subs, but for people like me, I won't sub a single character because I don't want to play a single character at a time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wargasm said:

It isn't just about being able to chip bricks on 10 toons at a time either.... it's about how you grind accounts.  I don't want to have to log off completely to switch to my priest to do one prayer every 30 minutes (or is it 20?).  Same goes for sermons, meditation and lock picking.  

I feel very strongly about this, and I think the devs should too, considering premium alts (like priests) are a significant contribution to the Wurm subscription base.  Not only would they be losing out on alt subs, but for people like me, I won't sub a single character because I don't want to play a single character at a time.

Yeah exactly what I was trying to say really. Multiboxing for sure isn't necessary, but it's such a major thing that not being able to do it falls under losing a quality of life ability.

For sure. I was just commenting on the argument it's necessary to play. 

I'm not sure on the stance of it but hopefully I can find out and let you all know soon 

• Like 2

So it seems like so far you guys still dont know anything for 100% certain.

Just like 4-5 months ago and all we hear is “i’ll have to clarify” and “I’ll have to find out”

Is this thing even gonna happen this year?
Because so far it seems like a setup for disaster and we have not heard anything thats set in stone only what is being planned

However knowing Rolf, his word means nothing when it comes to the future

Edited by nitram20

We should likely consider how the Steam launch will likely go. A few assumptions can be made (and if they are wrong assumptions then likely things will be somewhat different then predicted).

Assumptions:

1) Game is very similar in feature sets and settings to current WO

2) Premium and Deed costs remain similar to current WO

3) Grinding and action speeds remain similar to current WO (specifically Freedom speeds)

4) Multiple characters are required for the "full" experience of being able to do everything possible in the game

5) Using WU servers, especially 1x grind/action, as an example activity curve

How it will likely go:

Day 1 - New server, land rush, lots of new players, explorers every where as the perfect place for a new home is sought

Day 8 - Server population is continuing to grow as word of the new server gets out and friends join from other servers/games

Day 15 - Grind is starting to wear on people especially those who have been playing since server launch

Day 22 - Server population is mainly holding steady/small decrease depending on age demographics of server population. Older population with real-life responsibilities are starting to hear that they are neglecting family etc

Day 28 - Server population is starting to reduce as grind fatigue sets in. Many people leave once they have their initial deed created/started. Many will never return

This continues. By Day 60 (roughly two months) players have left largely with a small core group hanging in there.

The problem with Wurm is the challenging part is in the beginning from when you first join until you have the safety of your first deed/home. For many people the "game" part is then replaced by the "grind" part. More adventure/things to do/ excitement is needed to go beyond this stage. I think this is also why the whole "roll out a new server" strategy that WO used works so well and yet later servers are left to largely die as they get older.

Possible success criteria:

1) Day 180 - Server population, concurrent usage, 500+ 24 x 7

2) Day 360 - Server population, concurrent usage, 1000+. 24 x 7

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Madnath said:

Multiboxing for sure isn't necessary

In your opinion ;) 

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

it's necessary to play. 

in your opinion ;) 

in my opinion multiboxing is necessary to play to be efficiently.

Just now, gorgian said:

Keywords "to be efficient" 

It's not necessary to play the game, just like circle of cunning isnt necessary to skill. But if you're arguing enjoyment/efficiency then sure, people will have different ideas. Personally I've rarely actively played on two accounts at the same time, and have been a solo account player for 95% of the time. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gorgian said:

In your opinion ;) 

in your opinion ;) 

27 minutes ago, gorgian said:

bruh moment

• Like 1