Sign in to follow this  
Samool

Full Steam Ahead

Heard, that for Steam version, there are plans for fresh pve server and optionally, later, fresh pvp server.

Knowing, how dead Epic is, maybe good idea would be putting whole Epic into Steam, instead of fresh server or as an option of pvp server with veteran players? Along with remained population.

Home servers are almost dead so could be refreshed partially with GM tools or restarted completely to their default look.

Would solve the problem of Epic once for all, and would cut out from strange connections with freedom (different and unfair skill transfer systems).

21 hours ago, Wilczan said:

Heard, that for Steam version, there are plans for fresh pve server and optionally, later, fresh pvp server.

Knowing, how dead Epic is, maybe good idea would be putting whole Epic into Steam, instead of fresh server or as an option of pvp server with veteran players? Along with remained population.

Home servers are almost dead so could be refreshed partially with GM tools or restarted completely to their default look.

Would solve the problem of Epic once for all, and would cut out from strange connections with freedom (different and unfair skill transfer systems).

Bringing old players with all their stuff and skills would defeat the whole point of a full steam fresh start experience.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Bringing old players with all their stuff and skills would defeat the whole point of a full steam fresh start experience.

As I said, as an option. They could choose fresh pvp server or vet pvp server.

Other then that, it's just another attempt to divide small Wurm community more and more.

• Like 1

Just now, Wilczan said:

Other then that, it's just another attempt to divide small Wurm community more and more.

It's actually more of an attempt to introduce new players to the game through a new front; Steam. They've made it clear that we're not going to be abandoned here on Freedom, and the influx of new players on Steam may result in some choosing to come play here on a more established cluster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wilczan said:

As I said, as an option. They could choose fresh pvp server or vet pvp server.

Vet pvp server? You mean current Epic and Chaos?

9svUdMD.png

Oh...

25 minutes ago, Madnath said:

9svUdMD.png

Oh...

xd did u read it

4 hours ago, Toolhead said:

xd did u read it

part of the reasons people didn't want to get into pvp was because of the idea that it's hard to get into pvp because there's so many hardcore vet players, that it makes finding a spot and being effective almost difficult. like angel said, it's not a good idea to bring old accounts to what is meant to be a fresh start.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Jore said:

It's actually more of an attempt to introduce new players to the game through a new front; Steam. They've made it clear that we're not going to be abandoned here on Freedom, and the influx of new players on Steam may result in some choosing to come play here on a more established cluster.

New players, yes. But I bet that some players gonna switch from WO to Steam and will never go back, like it was with WU.

20 hours ago, Madnath said:

9svUdMD.png

Oh...

There are many inactive players on Epic and Chaos who could go back if some bigger changes gonna happen.

4 hours ago, Wilczan said:

New players, yes. But I bet that some players gonna switch from WO to Steam and will never go back, like it was with WU.

Sure, but they're still playing Wurm. A larger community is always good and will result in more exposure for the current servers.

Mixing the steam community and the WO-community we now are will end in WW3.

Does it make sense to go on playing WO at all ? Dont want to wake up in a near-empty game one day, just because i'm outside of steam.

• Like 3

Having the old players join steam is nothing but a good thing for everyone as long as the game doesnt implode 6 months later. Even if they never go back, it will be a success for the game as a whole as it will pad the player counts and thus make the game more attractive for new people. What is currently killing Wurm is the lack of players.

bz5mdNn_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Friend of mine coming back to the game after a long absence. Lets be real, even Freedom is dead now. Steam might be a good chance to revive an otherwise dead game. There is nothing left for us older players.

Edited by Angelklaine

On 12/28/2019 at 8:40 PM, Angelklaine said:

Even if old players won't be able to join Steam servers, they can and WILL make Steam alts. Those alts will progress way faster than newbies due to previous experience; they will take over the market long before newbies would stand any chance. And that's not a hypothetical scenario. The exact same thing happened some years ago when Pristine and Release were separated servers, not connected to the Freedom cluster. I was one of the veterans who dominated the market there using an alt, I know what I am talking about: the same "fresh start" experiment was tried in the past, and guess what, it failed miserably.

But it doesn't matter because they don't care about any fresh start; the whole point is to force Steam integration and Steam-only servers are needed for that purpose. I think it is more than obvious the whole "fresh start" thing is just a poor excuse to justify Steam-only servers. Poor excuse because old players know very well a "fresh" start won't work; developers certainly know it won't work. Poor excuse because even if they wanted a "fresh start" they don't need Steam for that, exactly as they didn't need it years ago when they did the same thing. The concept of "steam fresh start" is complete nonsense and broken by design.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patreus said:

the same "fresh start" experiment was tried in the past, and guess what, it failed miserably.

except you know, the pristine and release servers being super populated until around when they got re-linked with the main servers🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

the market being taken over is a bit less of a concern when theres no RMT (btw thats why servers are steam only lel, you can stop the conspiracy theories). if you don't like steam don't play on it, and if they fail they'll get merged into the main servers and you can sell your boats to them again

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Lets be real, even Freedom is dead now. Steam might be a good chance to revive an otherwise dead game. There is nothing left for us older players.

How about Steam WITHOUT Steam-only servers then (mind the "only" thing)? Steam is popular and Steam-ONLY servers will desert Freedom even more. Steam guys won't join Freedom servers, because Steam is all what they know (they don't care about the DRM galore Steam is; they even love it). But the opposite will happen: Freedom veterans will have to decide, either start over on Steam or keep playing on deserted servers - which I guess they will eventually close.

I wouldn't mind Steam if it was not coming with Steam-only servers. I don't even mind if new servers will be isolated or not (although, like I said before, separated servers won't bring any fresh start). What I do care is the Steam-ONLY thing. There is absolutely no reason for that, but they are determined to do it. What I do care is that silly "fresh start" argument being used to justify Steam-ONLY. It would be more decent to just say "look, the game is dying, we need Steam in an attempt to survive, Steam wants its own servers, we have no choice but go for Steam-only servers". If nothing else, I would appreciate the honesty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

except you know, the pristine and release servers being super populated until around when they got re-linked with the main servers🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

the market being taken over is a bit less of a concern when theres no RMT. if you don't like steam don't play on it, and if they fail they'll get merged into the main servers and you can sell your boats to them again

(1) You are wrong. Pristine and Release were populated until new players started to leave after the first months of "honeymoon", and veterans left because the market was saturated. Population drop has nothing to do with linking to Freedom; it happened before the link. I was already selling my fleet and even my alt there. Why? Because there was nothing else to do. New isolated servers were populated for a while, then two things happened. Many new players left because Wurm is not a game for everyone; it needs patience and time, and many people don't have that. Also, many veterans with alts didn't have a reason to keep playing there, since the market was no more.

I even remember numbers: when the isolated servers were introduced, we had a peak of total Wurm population around 2000. It didn't last long; eventually the population dropped, and in the end it was around 1000 people, just like before. The "fresh start" experiment failed to bring any noticeable difference on the playerbase in the long run. There was nothing left but linking Pristine and Release with Freedom, simply because there was no point to keep them isolated. Nowadays, even to 1000 playerbase seems huge, which is sad because Wurm is the best online game I ever played.

(2) Thank you for your interest about my fleet, but it's not needed. I know what I have to do to deal with the Steam DRM galore you probably like so much.

Edited by Patreus

6 minutes ago, Patreus said:

snip

Just a heads up, we don't know anything yet about how exactly they are going to realize Wurm Online on Steam.

We don't even know if we will be able to have alts, considering how people had to use workarounds to play multiple chars even on WU.

But with WO on Steam, how would that even work as your Steam ID is probably linked to the paid sub... (and thus WO Steam without a Steam Account is most likely not possible either, but it depends on how they will implement the whole thing)

Unless they introduce a new account management system of sorts I don't see that happen easily, people would have to make multiple steam accounts and so on and forth if they wanted to play multiple chars on WO Steam then.

And tbh I don't know if you could run them all from one PC or would need multiple laptops then due the Steam ID thing and I don't think you can run Steam twice on a PC, unless we can sub with a steam account and then use the WU work around to apply other IDs to the WO Steam client to login with...

Just me guessing around, I don't think the devs have a clear idea yet either how this part will be handeled or if they will even flat out refuse alts on Steam considering all the hassle it would be to make it work.

Then as Oblivion said, there will be no real market domination as there wont be any RMT, the vets who only played Wurm  for the RMT wont be on Steam.

Ofc you can say they may use shady means to RMT anyhow, but I am certain that will be discovered by staff sooner or later and then consider how much work it can take to make a char and have it banned just for that... not worth the time or money invested in the end with that permanent risk.

I think for now all we can do is wait and see how they plan to implement it and as soon as they share their ideas we could give feedback on that then, but wrecking our heads over it right now won't gain us anything.

27 minutes ago, Patreus said:

I even remember numbers: when the isolated servers were introduced, we had a peak of total Wurm population around 2000. It didn't last long; eventually the population dropped, and in the end it was around 1000 people, just like before. The "fresh start" experiment failed to bring any noticeable difference on the playerbase in the long run.

the premium graph before P/R was hovering around 3500 premium before it came out, and after it fluxuated between 5000-6000 with a peak of 6300, with P/R being around 1100 of that for pretty much the entire time up until xanadu opened. total pop on at one time means nothing to the devs income and is a useless metric to measure by, as events such as impalongs and unique slayings, and things like school holidays, weekends, holidays and whatnot can skew it quite easily. it may not have changed your weird perception on the game, but all those extra players, all those vets making alts on the new servers, all the people paying for new deeds massively increased how much revenue CCAB had and claiming it "failed to bring any noticeable difference on the playerbase" is asinine.

35 minutes ago, Patreus said:

Also, many veterans with alts didn't have a reason to keep playing there, since the market was no more.

if you play solely for the market i can see why you don't want a steam only server with no RMT. Making an enjoyable game for the average player is more important than artificially propping up the market for veterans by forcing new players into a server where they'll have to compete with them, and the fact that you brag about how you went over to p/r solely to play the markets is both hilarious and sad. it's a good thing that the new steam servers having no RMT will help cull out the majority of people that do that.

38 minutes ago, Patreus said:

I know what I have to do to deal with the Steam DRM galore you probably like so much.

steam is babbys first DRM, it's barely able to be called one. the only way it could be less intrusive is if it went the gog route where there's just straight up no drm. 

1 hour ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

the premium graph before P/R was hovering around 3500 premium before it came out, and after it fluxuated between 5000-6000 with a peak of 6300, with P/R being around 1100 of that for pretty much the entire time up until xanadu opened. total pop on at one time means nothing to the devs income and is a useless metric to measure by, as events such as impalongs and unique slayings, and things like school holidays, weekends, holidays and whatnot can skew it quite easily. it may not have changed your weird perception on the game, but all those extra players, all those vets making alts on the new servers, all the people paying for new deeds massively increased how much revenue CCAB had and claiming it "failed to bring any noticeable difference on the playerbase" is asinine.

if you play solely for the market i can see why you don't want a steam only server with no RMT. Making an enjoyable game for the average player is more important than artificially propping up the market for veterans by forcing new players into a server where they'll have to compete with them, and the fact that you brag about how you went over to p/r solely to play the markets is both hilarious and sad. it's a good thing that the new steam servers having no RMT will help cull out the majority of people that do that.

steam is babbys first DRM, it's barely able to be called one. the only way it could be less intrusive is if it went the gog route where there's just straight up no drm. 

(1) You use numbers barely having any connection to reality - I was pretty active back then and I know what I saw. You even use Xanadu as an argument - by far the worst server ever (do I even need to explain why?). It may not change your weird perception on the game, but where exactly are "all those extra players" you mention now? In.. oblivion apparently. Your whole idea, that Xanadu helped Wurm is asinine. Xanadu was nothing more than just another mistake, like many others they did before, just to hold the tiny playerbase... Except that you hold your playerbase and even increase it by making the gameplay better, not by opening new useless servers again and again for an eternity - lots of servers for a community that could easily fit in 2 or 3 maximum.

(2) I don't have to tell you why I play Wurm but will share a bit of information, since you are so interested. I obviously don't play just for the market. The market was fun, even with lower prices. You get to know new people, make new friends to visit every now and then, for fun or just to re-improve their investment for free (I did that a lot, it's a nice reason to travel). Your idea of the "average player" is what exactly, the one grinding for an eternity without purpose? Or the one paying/grinding for dragon gear just to show off in events full of lag? Or building huge buildings with lots of stories you never visit and they are there just for showing off and lag? Or maybe blacksmithing/farming for ages, then let your products rot because the market is "evil" in your humble opinion? Don't bother to answer - whatever your purpose in the game is, however asinine it might be, I don't really care. And you will do well not to care about my reasons to play as well.

(3) You describe Steam as "barely able to be called a DRM", and that's enough to realize I have to deal with yet another "average Steam Joe" who just loves DRM and... to put it politely, doesn't give a dime about "minor concerns" like customer rights and other concerns I won't bother to mention. It is perfectly ok by me if you do so, but defending Steam as the holy graal is... you guessed it, asinine again.

I don't need an answer, and I won't reply if I see any.

3 minutes ago, Patreus said:

Your whole idea, that Xanadu helped Wurm is asinine

i'm talking about p/r before xanadu, not xanadu. where did you even get the idea that i thought xanadu was a good idea, the only mention i have of xanadu was that it was the end of pr/re being a populated seperate cluster.

6 minutes ago, Patreus said:

Except that you hold your playerbase and even increase it by making the gameplay better, not by opening new useless servers again and again for an eternity

they've been making the game better with new features  all these years and the population is still dropping at a constant rate, and new servers give them a big boost that eventually fades away. minor QoL changes don't bring people in, major changes and new servers (Literally all of the new maps had massive playerbase jumps, how many players resubbed because they can plant things underground?)

15 minutes ago, Patreus said:

(3) You describe Steam as "barely able to be called a DRM", and that's enough to realize I have to deal with yet another "average Steam Joe" who just loves DRM and... to put it politely, doesn't give a dime about "minor concerns" like customer rights and other concerns I won't bother to mention. It is perfectly ok by me if you do so, but defending Steam as the holy graal is... you guessed it, asinine again.

saying that steam isn't some police state drm = loving drm defending it as the holy graal? you're making up some weird strawmans lol, i'm suprised you don't boycott wurm online because they don't give refunds on stuff bought on the store and that's not consumer rights or something

you're a weird guy mr patreus, you seem like an ancap to me, you should really stop being angry and making up weird conspiracy theories because they went with a platform that you didn't like.

• Like 4

On 12/29/2019 at 3:10 AM, Madnath said:

part of the reasons people didn't want to get into pvp was because of the idea that it's hard to get into pvp because there's so many hardcore vet players, that it makes finding a spot and being effective almost difficult. like angel said, it's not a good idea to bring old accounts to what is meant to be a fresh start.

I bet a lot of those vet pvp players gonna try new pvp serwer on Steam, and couse of good knowledge of game, gonna outrun all new players on each possible area (skilling faster, breed faster, get ready for pvp faster), thus leading to the same situation, you mentioned.

Fresh start will be just an illusion coused by fresh unexplored lands.

PvP should be a bit like jackal server, fast skill gain, faster actions, taming difficulties same for WL and BL etc.. also, it should reset like every 6 months or a year. That way it keeps PvP fresher and might even get back some of those guys who were in "epic relaunch" Treasure chests would be great too to help roam, hota ofc etc. More simplified PvP overall... and once the PvP season is done, some reward for winning kingdom (for freedom) and skill gain is converted like in jackal or better.

but there were plenty of ideas before which were ignored and now we are without players again. Since servers aint the issue... make a new one for seasonal PvP.

If we go wild, we could have that seasonal PvP server linked to steam as well as to WO players.

15 hours ago, Themystrix said:

PvP should be a bit like jackal server, fast skill gain, faster actions, taming difficulties same for WL and BL etc.. also, it should reset like every 6 months or a year. That way it keeps PvP fresher and might even get back some of those guys who were in "epic relaunch" Treasure chests would be great too to help roam, hota ofc etc. More simplified PvP overall... and once the PvP season is done, some reward for winning kingdom (for freedom) and skill gain is converted like in jackal or better.

but there were plenty of ideas before which were ignored and now we are without players again. Since servers aint the issue... make a new one for seasonal PvP.

If we go wild, we could have that seasonal PvP server linked to steam as well as to WO players.

I like the chellenge server when its starts.

It was realy good idea 

Edited by Spy

The whole steam thing has me very worried, because I don't want to loose all the work I have done on my deeds and player.

[12:57:33] You entered through the portal to Wurm on day of the Wurm, week 4 of the White Shark starfall, 1020. That's 2912 days, 23 hours and 55 minutes ago.
[12:57:33] You have played 268 days, 2 hours and 28 minutes.
[12:57:33] You have been premium a total of 42 months since Dec 2013.

Besides the huge amount of time and effort I have contributed $500+ all brought through the Wurm shop.

I really need a cuddle and to be told everything is going to be ok.

Some quick ideas...

A portal in and out of the Steam version where you can't access the bank from each and can not carry coin.

Call the Steam version Wurmonline:The Old World

Allow cross version Global chat.

• Like 2

By the way, have anyone actually considered what will happen when we go to steam? you can only have 1 client running per steam client... means that there will be no alts running around, also meaning that there will be no priests, unless someone will main a priest.

8 minutes ago, Themystrix said:

By the way, have anyone actually considered what will happen when we go to steam? you can only have 1 client running per steam client... means that there will be no alts running around, also meaning that there will be no priests, unless someone will main a priest.

Don't worry you can bank money on there being alts. Nothing stopping anyone from having more then one steam account.