Sign in to follow this  
Samool

Full Steam Ahead

17 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I'll see about it, but really we want to focus away from the Steam discussion, it's something that will happen but our goals at the moment are polishing and improving QoL and early game. 

Choosing which enchants to Dispel would help me out a lot in terms of QoL, if it's doable.

18 minutes ago, Mowglia said:

Choosing which enchants to Dispel would help me out a lot in terms of QoL, if it's doable.

It's on the list of improvements yes 

• Like 2

Awesome.

Another thing which has been bugging me a bit of late is when running multiple toons it's nice to have a certain amount of gear in one place; just so they can grab it fast when necessary. Mostly weapons and shields, although some armour doesn't hurt. I currently use large chests, and despite being able to squeeze huge axes, spears, and large metal shields (lol?) in there, about the only thing I can't put in is a longbow. It'd be nice to put a longbow in there too, although if this is a step too far then I'll switch to using coffins :D

11 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Have you SEEN a longbow irl?

[21:48:04] You create an unfinished coffin in front of you on the ground :mellow:

[But yeah, I think we passed the point of realism regarding large chests a while back; this is just a convenience thing!]

31 minutes ago, Mowglia said:

Awesome.

Another thing which has been bugging me a bit of late is when running multiple toons it's nice to have a certain amount of gear in one place; just so they can grab it fast when necessary. Mostly weapons and shields, although some armour doesn't hurt. I currently use large chests, and despite being able to squeeze huge axes, spears, and large metal shields (lol?) in there, about the only thing I can't put in is a longbow. It'd be nice to put a longbow in there too, although if this is a step too far then I'll switch to using coffins :D

In my NUBIE days I had a small shack and in it next to the door a coffin, bsb, and .... ANOTHER coffin.... 1 for main toolset and another for the random spare junk tools/items/parts I do not care about but have to toss in something(kid's toy box.. in the corner in other words, looked like random junk box)
Can you fit a longbow in a runed mailbox? use one casted or not.. as storage.. as long locking it doesn't matter and it fits.. lets you hold some random items in it.. at the cost of less space, at least visually..(how about size runed coffin, does that fit a long bow?)

Edited by Finnn

On 10/25/2019 at 3:38 AM, Patreus said:

I wish I could agree, but it's too over-optimistic.

Why a "testbed" should be Steam-only? We already had a testing server for that, they could just make testing server more attractive. Where is the need of Steam-only server for that?

Furthermore, I doubt any new players starting from Steam will ever try "vanilla" WO, because for most of them Steam is all what they know. The opposite, however, will happen for sure; many will migrate to Steam-only servers to take over the market (because they CAN), or because Freedom is deserted.

It's not about "going down the rabbit hole on what-if scenario"; I just refuse to "focus on the positives" while I clearly see a huge negative here. Everybody knows what exactly Steam is, they like it or not: it's the definition of heavy DRM. And such a DRM demanding Steam-only servers is not conspiracy theory; in fact, I would be surprised if I had proof Steam did NOT demand Steam-only servers. It's just too good to be true.

"It's a game. Just have fun" - yes, that's exactly I want. But where is the fun when Freedom-servers are going straight to Epic's fate? Yes, Steam will potentially attract more players; I doubt that will make a huge difference in the long run, because Wurm is not a game for everyone (and that's good). Still, it is worth trying. But we already have excessive servers, and I don't see any positive on adding more - even worse when they want new servers accessible by Steam only.

This is just what I was able to glean from the forums. I'm not going to debate whether users agree or disagree with it any longer. As written in the 2019 Financial Report by Game Chest Group, the direction is:

"The first acquisition made during the past quarter was by the company Code Club AB and its platform Wurm Online / Unlimited. We have now decided to launch Wurm on steam in early 2020, so much focus is on this right now. Here, among other things, we have recruited a new production manager more experience of this process than before, as well as we have gathered the users' wishes and are now updating several components of the game's design while developing a new website to modernize ourselves before the big release on steam."

If it survives it survives, if it dies it dies. At this point, I'm not worrying myself about the details any longer. I'm playing the game as I always have and whatever happens happens. I'm not going to sell my accounts based on "what if" scenarios. I can only hope the game survives and begins to thrive once more. That's all I'm going to say.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Finnn said:

In my NUBIE days I had a small shack and in it next to the door a coffin, bsb, and .... ANOTHER coffin.... 1 for main toolset and another for the random spare junk tools/items/parts I do not care about but have to toss in something(kid's toy box.. in the corner in other words, looked like random junk box)
Can you fit a longbow in a runed mailbox? use one casted or not.. as storage.. as long locking it doesn't matter and it fits.. lets you hold some random items in it.. at the cost of less space, at least visually..(how about size runed coffin, does that fit a long bow?)

I'm not short of containers. This isn't about storage so much as organization. My toons like to run around nekkid... :P

So if something happens which means they need to get tooled up fast it's convenient for each toon to run to a particular container, grab everything in that container, equip whatever, and then they're ready to go. It's pure convenience, nothing more.

Their longbows being in a separate container just upsets me is all.

Now I made a nice row of coffins, which do the job, so it isn't a pressing issue any more (unless I wanted to lock them). The room already looked like a crypt so they add to the ambience too!

having read the for and against, many ideas, Epic Combat, why EPIC is dead, Steam vs Freedom Cluster. I think the main problem with EPIC combat and players is the Hermit Mentality. EPIC I think if I understand right is supposed to be PMK with PMK Kingdom Capital and Villages/Towns. Not dozens of hermit deeds, granted I haven't been to Epic and it may not be all Hermit deeds. My thoughts on Steam, yes WURM needs to grow but WURM Devs need to look at what draws and keeps players. WURM is so skill and crafting based it could use more things like PVE Dungeons and Ruins on un-deedable servers, maybe those servers have Quest lines that explain the WURM Pantheon and open up the Jackal Campaigns. Make some unique skills useable on those servers such as lockpicking, detect traps, sneak, etc. Ya kinda like Chaos but PVE I know I know. 

As far as combat PVP there are always going to be WURM players who do or don't. That's fine, have several PVE servers on the Steam Cluster, etc same for some PVP servers, and maybe 2 PVE Exploration servers ie with ruins, dungeons, quests, rare resource nodes. And maybe a PVP server for Lighters and Black Lighters some sort of storyline about the WURM Pantheon and opens the Jackal Server Campaigns. I know its some work but that might draw folks. 

Summed up WURM needs more than crafting and PVP to grow, 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ArthurHawkwing said:

WURM could use more things like PVE Dungeons and Ruins on un-deedable servers, maybe those servers have Quest lines that explain the WURM Pantheon and open up the Jackal Campaigns.

Summed up WURM needs more than crafting and PVP to grow, 

It doesn't NEED it, but i agree. Jackal is such a waste of an opportunity for the introduction of PVE dungeons or raids. 

Doing jackal events / missions.. could randomly or based on performance, or at the cost of points.. let people get a 'token' or 'fragment', coin, ticket, crystal, jackal spark, call it however you want..

Something like that could be used as a key or 'jackal heart' to burn in an altar like at rift events.. same code could be reused even.. but have tougher enemies.. if devs had more ideas about the rifts that were unsafe, and fighters want bigger challenge... code's there.. few tweaks on the mobs.. and this could be the way to get artifacts or 'legendaries' on jackal, the same way rifts spread loot now.
Such altars could spawn after reaching a goal or having x amount of 'keys' in the word, slaying xyz in certain time could open a gate/portal spawning a mini rift.. than have the spawner for the bigger event last in the world for 2-4days.

Things to figure..
-Balance of how quickly such 'keys' could be obtained

-spawn rules and rates

-new loot

-enki's nightmare mobs to be given blood and bones.. also buffs to keep it 'FUN' for the wurmians
and there you go.. rift 2.0: the nightmare, at the same time epic gear farm

You think you do.. but you don't:
Do you really want somebody to work on a dungeon cave... how's that different from the world fights?
How about jackal, mining X Y sized mine Z tall.. work as a spawn ground for such event underground?(gives players a reason to work together to get this field ready and a  cave fight.. for whatever reason that seems better to some)
I personally can not see it fun to have near 0 visibility and to be ganked by 10 rift creatures or 20 champ trolls 'from nowhere'.

On 11/23/2019 at 9:36 PM, Retrograde said:

I'll see about it, but really we want to focus away from the Steam discussion, it's something that will happen but our goals at the moment are polishing and improving QoL and early game. 

You mentioned early game...

I just have pristine and chaos starter towns Left to visit - I have seen the others.  So I am curious -

what is the overall plan or purpose for these towns?

is it player developed only?

is there a plan to make them consistent?

Starter deeds were original GM created only, but many did receive player based makeovers. 

There's a few that havent, including Chaos and some Xanadu ones (sloping sands too) But they are built to show off what is possible in wurm, as well as a bit of a vibe of the server. They can be used as starting bases but housing permissions create issues. Havens landing avoided some of the challenges by using outdoor crafting zones but it still encounters some permissions problems. 

There's no plans to make them consistent, no deed is ever the same in Wurm, and no starter deed should be.

11 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

There's a few that havent, including Chaos and some Xanadu ones (sloping sands too) But they are built to show off what is possible in wurm, as well as a bit of a vibe of the server.

On that note: 

I don't think SS really shows off anything that can be done in Wurm, or reflects the style or community of the server, and what little is there is almost completely un-interactable for players both new and old.

If the answer to the above suggestion is 'it's complicated and we need more time to consider it', or 'no, sorry' that's fine but we've got an alliance of prem'd PCs here waiting for someone to acknowledge the suggestion so we know whether it is likely to be considered, or whether we should get our teeth into other projects we all have going.

• Like 1

@Retrograde

thanks for feedback.  I agree no wurm town is the same - or should be.  Nor am I advocating too comfortable a place - the starter towns are night and day in what they offer.   Some offer everything, while others are more frustrating than anything.  

one of the reasons I suggested a better mechanic to understand what deeds offer what - I reasonably know how long a travel might take, and willing to travel out of the way if they have bare minimums of what I might seek.   Traveling to starter towns was - enlightening - as many didn't have a single bed, or working facilities.  

but once they are thrown from havens to these places - how is it received?  Is there a retention metric linked to what town new players go to?

@crimsonearth

Sloping sands is where I just landed.  It is what finally spurred me to write this.  

ill check out the link.  Thank you.  

Edited by Arishok
Grammar and ######

1 hour ago, crimsonearth said:

On that note: 

I don't think SS really shows off anything that can be done in Wurm, or reflects the style or community of the server, and what little is there is almost completely un-interactable for players both new and old.

If the answer to the above suggestion is 'it's complicated and we need more time to consider it', or 'no, sorry' that's fine but we've got an alliance of prem'd PCs here waiting for someone to acknowledge the suggestion so we know whether it is likely to be considered, or whether we should get our teeth into other projects we all have going.

Sloping sands is likely to be opened up as another deed design comp shortly. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Thanks for letting us know - I'll let folks know to get on with other projects and mark the thread for closing.

• Like 1

--edit
context:

On 11/26/2019 at 10:48 PM, crimsonearth said:
On 11/26/2019 at 10:29 PM, Retrograde said:

Thanks for letting us know - I'll let folks know to get on with other projects and mark the thread for closing.

--edit

Word of the day:

#HYPE

(for the redesign)

Edited by Finnn
context..

NO DEMI GODS PLEASE

and imping drake with drake hide and scale with scale scrap 😛

Edited by Spy
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Spy said:

NO DEMI GODS PLEASE

and imping drake with drake hide and scale with scale scrap 😛

I'd start with fixing wurm's issue with the latter, not much changed with the quick fix.. same people same benefits, same content deprived community.. "great" solution.

So did we ever get a more exact time frame when the steam version of WO will be released other than mid 2020

You are right, that is what GC said. But from decades of experience with software projects I tend to say ok, in 2020. Or at least let's hope so.

Quick question for any Devs:

Will the new steam server population be listed with the others in terms of cluster /who and in terms of the website population?