Sign in to follow this  
Samool

Full Steam Ahead

18 minutes ago, Belrindor said:

Such as all the slimy... errr. shiny silver sellers not being able to do RMT on Steam

you 100% can do RMT for stuff on steam games lol, you never seen the dota/csgo/tf2 traders? some of their skins prices make spending a grand on a wurm acc look like childs play lol

21 hours ago, Patreus said:

Personally, I would be more than happy to see Wurm Online on GoG instead of Steam.

I don't think GoG does any subscription priced games, does it?   

After all, it is a DRM-free game service, and Steam and its ilk depends on DRM

So it might work for a game like Wurm Unlimited, "pay once, play forever",  but not really an appropriate outlet for a Wurm Online style game with a monthly sub and run on a day to day basis by a dev team.

Will the Steam chat system be separate from ours?

I am -1 on sharing CA Help (but I know I can just shut that channel off until the initial excitement is over lol).

But joint chat in others ways might be beneficial. Perhaps a new tab like WO-Freedom (with an ability to turn if off for those who don't want it) and being able to cross-game pm with friends.  I know many of us use Discord to keep in touch with friends while they are playing other games, etc., but it would be nice to know in advance if the chats will be completely separate. 

Edit: A cross-game chat would also let the Steam people know this game exists here.

Edited by Draiodoir
add text
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Draiodoir said:

I am -1 on sharing CA Help (but I know I can just shut that channel off until the initial excitement is over lol).

But joint chat in others ways might be beneficial. Perhaps a new tab like WO-Freedom (with an ability to turn if off for those who don't want it) and being able to cross-game pm with friends.  I know many of us use Discord to keep in touch with friends while they are playing other games, etc., but it would be nice to know in advance if the chats will be completely separate. 

Edit: A cross-game chat would also let the Steam people know this game exists here.

because steam need add their own things, the chat, some screens, achievements, etc

1 hour ago, Draiodoir said:

Unknown at this point

I know alot of people will be upset if they totally abandoned Wurm Unlimited with no more support or updates, but really why not just make expansion packs? All wurm servers have their own niche, some PVP, some PVE and so on and so forth; it seems to me they would be leaving money on the table >.<   Wurm has so many features you can not possibly immerse yourself in all the aspects, and for that matter that is why there are so many different skills and paths, so it will appeal to a great number of people...Just sayin, 

Each server should have own uniqe expension and that would be great :D  Like some items can be made only on pristine, some skills you can get only on xanadu...  Xanadu should have faster and more healthy horses....  many ideas....

you can mine more gems on xanadu..,,,   

you can mine more silver on gold on exodus...

you can found natural made caves on deli....

Edited by Sila
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, sailingsuzye said:

I know alot of people will be upset if they totally abandoned Wurm Unlimited with no more support or updates, but really why not just make expansion packs? All wurm servers have their own niche, some PVP, some PVE and so on and so forth; it seems to me they would be leaving money on the table >.<   Wurm has so many features you can not possibly immerse yourself in all the aspects, and for that matter that is why there are so many different skills and paths, so it will appeal to a great number of people...Just sayin, 

9 minutes ago, Sila said:

Each server should have own uniqe expension and that would be great :D  Like some items can be made only on pristine, some skills you can get only on xanadu...  Xanadu should have faster and more healthy horses....  many ideas....

I believe she was talking about expansions for WU not WO SIla.......

• Like 1

I was, but her idea works too in WO the hunt for specific resources could be specific to servers to encourage travel and make economy ...there are alot of options atr this juncture in the games, they are both the same but independently different..I mean some people like the survival, and some just want to craft, and others want monsters to conquer....I hate to see the population of the game dwindle, because I love Wurm..

Edited by sailingsuzye

45 minutes ago, sailingsuzye said:

to encourage travel and make economy

"so that you either have to waste 2 hours for a roundtrip to get something done that has no reason to be limited to one particular server or give the few players bothering with the market their trading fix even if that's not your own stihk" FTFY

Also, no (without thanks) to that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sila said:

lul, no 'thx'

29 minutes ago, Finnn said:

lul, no 'thx'

why not? is good idea only if they are buffs

8 hours ago, Sila said:

Please god no. We've already got people not wanting to go 5 minutes outside their deed for a mission, don't give them a reason to further nuke the playercount. As much as I find their inability to navigate strange, let's not try and get rid of them with stuff like this.

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

good how? why? what makes it good?

ignore the creation for one server only, but buffs on one type of stuff could be nice, keeping the rest the same for everyserver

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

What about turning the new Steam Server (s) into an Campaign to actually carve out a kingdom from a Wilderness like Jackal kind of is. Something to draw your Veteran Epic Players in to help create a firm population base along side new players. yes we would have to start over new character. Maybe toss in player Professions so we do not have complete access to every skill or some kind of profession that gives a boost to a certain set of the skills. Also have the Devs interact as a campaign, make it a STORY Driven Campaign with rewards to those who show the most leadership for Titles and lands. Open up other small Island servers that are largely PVE/PVP with no deeds and rare resource spawns, nodes, uniques, rare seasonal fruits, plants, etc. More monster types. Phase in then after things get going another STORY driven campaign to start PVP PMK on some Epic servers once that gets smoothed out.

Everyone has good ideas and it would be nice if we get WURM created a bit more by player ideas that fit in with WURM. 

And PVP Combat and Corpse  Looting etc on the servers, I think we do need this, sure most of the time we can recover our gear on Freedom Servers, but in ancient times well stuff got plundered, it can get replaced, too many folks get hung up on the possessions thing. I think if we the whole using coin for in game premium time and deed upkeep went away and went to a coin for buying things and deed upkeep it would get more realistic. Don't get me wrong I like making real money in game but how many games actually work that way? Planet Calypso is the only one I can think of but its a joke.

it's not a joke.. it's.... too real there.. you start with money, you pay money, you need more money to buy stuff.. you almost can not do a thing without spending money as all gear/ammo/repairs costs money that only come from RL wallets(unless I miss something.. nah.. to that model)

--edit

that above is for calypso.. just in case new people randomly think it's about wurm(it's not), here you can start with nothing, literally.. and get everything.. finding flint is a bit tough unless I missed something.. but still possible to find one if you start with EMPTY inventory, with knowledge how, anybody could start with no items and get up to best gear, possibly without spending anything, money here just boost your progression time. ofc for skills above 20.. premiums is required

--edit

Also about full loot and all that cute talk, there must be a reason epic and chaos are ~empty compared to pve server/s, most of the population doesn't give... about that kind of play.

I'd pvp if there was no loss, I'd love to verse people for fun, spending time to prepare and than replace gear .. no-pe not planning to spend that much time replacing gear or hoarding junk loot, also I don't want anybody's pixels, just the fun of the fight.

(While in some games it takes 5-10-200 of x material to make an armor.. and you could spend some time grinding to get that... in wurm it's 9 pieces of armor, +weapon, maybe shield, maybe extra weapons or armor set.. at that point losing all that gear takes what amount of time? how is that fun, on which earth?)

That is a no no for all or most pvpers to just have fun and not loot bodies, so sure, I don't plan to pvp with the so loved model, they don't want more people.. things keep going the way they have been going for years and everybody's happy.. somewhat...

As announced/initially planned/ there will be a pvp and pve server, at least 50%(?) of the content will be what you want.

Edited by Finnn

btw @staff new games on steam have these upcoming green-whatever section pages.. can you apply for such or start one before having steam version up?
Posting a few screenshots, model images, etc.. fan stuff and bits of text... could act as a free Ad leading to a few new souls to wurm around, possibly a few customers trying WO before steam version is out..

Is that possible to pull, any plans for that if it was?

12 hours ago, Finnn said:

btw @staff new games on steam have these upcoming green-whatever section pages.. can you apply for such or start one before having steam version up?
Posting a few screenshots, model images, etc.. fan stuff and bits of text... could act as a free Ad leading to a few new souls to wurm around, possibly a few customers trying WO before steam version is out..

Is that possible to pull, any plans for that if it was?

You mean Early Acess? Why would they bother? It offers no real advantage, especially since the game is technically gold already.

I think being listed a month or two before release would be good, so it can start doing the rounds a bit faster without a long wait for release.

it's probably worth to use the whatever time they could to build up such page/preview/profile whatever it's called.. it's free advertising.. rest is to get in the right categories.. so right auditory finds the game when they look for "new" titles to try. These impatient for the steam release could try the WO, both, etc

Could be 'early access', but they had green-something.. section.. maybe for indie games, doesn't matter.. as long there's option to build a profile, it's worth to market the game earlier.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Finnn said:

it's probably worth to use the whatever time they could to build up such page/preview/profile whatever it's called.. it's free advertising.. rest is to get in the right categories.. so right auditory finds the game when they look for "new" titles to try. These impatient for the steam release could try the WO, both, etc

Could be 'early access', but they had green-something.. section.. maybe for indie games, doesn't matter.. as long there's option to build a profile, it's worth to market the game earlier.

Greenlight has been dead for ages. You're literally just saying to make a steam page ASAP with a TBA release. Which yeah, isn't a bad idea.

I'll see about it, but really we want to focus away from the Steam discussion, it's something that will happen but our goals at the moment are polishing and improving QoL and early game. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I'll see about it, but really we want to focus away from the Steam discussion, it's something that will happen but our goals at the moment are polishing and improving QoL and early game. 

So to reiterate for everyone just joining the convo or veiwing the thread now, all polish and QoL is coming to Online anyway?

Or will some of it be pick and choose to go on Steam first as a test bed?

Seems like both will be the same code/features, but separated in different clusters, possibly merged in the end, but lately I read little to nothing about merge, makes me think if that changed, yet.. I don't care really, but having a bigger cluster could be easier to handle, support or at least make people trust that no server is going to be left behind/closed/. (as covered so far, no plans to close any server, needless to fear of that)

14 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Any plans/talks about reworking emotes both.. audio/animations, any kind of improvement of existing or adding new ones?

ppl like to goof when you pack them together, will be fun to be able to do more than reading in chat that somebody slapped you or worse... in a racing text of events @impalongs, maybe that's a stretch, but animations, dances could be fun to see and use when people are together and waiting on something, gives you something to do and sometimes create fun content like 50 wurmians dancing with moves like moonwalk/macarena on stream e t c ......