Sign in to follow this  
Samool

Full Steam Ahead

1 hour ago, SweetSusie said:

In Rolfs post about WO on Steam he repeatly talks about pc and linux players. But will the Steam WO be available for mac too?

What is working for Unix and Linux will be working for Mac as well, I assume. There is already a Mac launcher for WO, why not for steam?

Because even after almost 5 years, WU on Steam has no mac support. 

Just Windows Linux & SteamOS.

• Like 2

@tamatthat won't change much.. people will just take 1/+ days to travel to x server and fill up several crates... maybe make a shack or deed to temporarily store such 'rare' materials.. and still transfer to main deed to sell from there.

WoA'd creation + higher player skill makes bulk crafting easy and oversupply just grows wild when some just produce such materials all day or have an army of several 2-3-5-20.. alts creating such production for sale.

in addition deeded land having no more -5% volume made it possible to store stuff like half a mil rocks, dirt, bricks or whatever else that people were hoarding for a while.. you've seen some of the offers on trade channel or merchant ads/WTS section offers.

Having new looks for walls and some way to transform them by using 50-75% materials on them or whatever of that sort.. could help to reduce the storage.. at the cost of growing the graphics file with such textures.

People here like unique stuff and to hoard things... once devs or new overlords figure what the locals like.. market of the game and webshop could really start moving in better direction...

I'm still waiting for economics guy/girl to buzz devs to fix the game economy somehow.

Given I do not participate in the markets... it doesn't really affect me but.. it seems to bug people here and there...

I do refuse playing the metas that make silver, wanted to play a game for the fun of it.. not to have a second world job.

Right.. also hope metas aren't that broken and fixed one day. Dat 2.

3 hours ago, SweetSusie said:

In Rolfs post about WO on Steam he repeatly talks about pc and linux players. But will the Steam WO be available for mac too?

There will be a Mac client as well.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Finnn said:

I'm still waiting for economics guy/girl to buzz devs to fix the game economy somehow.

Given I do not participate in the markets... it doesn't really affect me but.. it seems to bug people here and there...

I do refuse playing the metas that make silver, wanted to play a game for the fun of it.. not to have a second world job.

using  more mats will not fix anything, people will continue hoarding anyway, maybe even worse, only will sell by 2k or 5k...

5 hours ago, Finnn said:

Economy is too top heavy and bloated, nothing can change it much now and they are not going to delete stuff from people. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Samool said:

There will be a Mac client as well.

Great! Thank you.. can you also tell me if there are plans for a mac version of WU?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ekcin said:

What is working for Unix and Linux will be working for Mac as well, I assume.

It doesn't work that way with steam. Linux games on Steam don't work on Mac. And so doesn't WU. 

You don't even get a change to install them.

Edited by SweetSusie

14 hours ago, tamat said:

using  more mats will not fix anything, people will continue hoarding anyway, maybe even worse, only will sell by 2k or 5k...

There's a limit for everything

Which reminds me to ask another question: @Samool / @staff

Is there a planned quota of players/subscriptions count or players + months in time to trigger a relatively 'INSTANT' merge of the steam+wo servers?

Make wurm like old days

Failed action - lost material

No imbue

No tomes

No player gods

And bring back body strenght give u more DR like long time ago

Thanks

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Spy said:

Make wurm like old days

Failed action - lost material

No imbue

No tomes

No player gods

And bring back body strenght give u more DR like long time ago

Thanks

Calf shots.  😁

I just hope no bigger then indi map. xanadu way to bare.  i loved my time on indi way way back,  but found deli a ton of fun, due to being close to others, but needed more then one deed as they were a bit to crowded, xanadu  was great early on. but after 2 yrs, way to much space. I very rarley see folks in local, if it wasn't for alliances, i'd feel completely alone.   

I feel an indi sized map,  with lots of rivers 🙂  since bridges exist now, could be a good size. 

any others have map size ideas?  .  my eyes are blurry today , got a cold, hard to read not sure if others already talked about it. 

• Like 2

Please for the god add the mod that auto selects tools to imp with f they are tool-belt equipped!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

Any plans to let prem steam kids to login on jackal(without access to freedom)?   @staff 

17 hours ago, roarkindrake said:

Please for the god add the mod that auto selects tools to imp with f they are tool-belt equipped!!!!!

this a thousand times this

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

On 10/11/2019 at 4:53 PM, roarkindrake said:

That's getting a little too lazy. Imping should be more than simply batch-select click?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mowglia said:

That's getting a little too lazy. Imping should be more than simply batch-select click?

m8 any sane person is already bypassing the imping hell by using the legal macro that mashes every single imping action at once (if their ml allows it that is)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mowglia said:

Meh, if it's on the toolbelt anyway, it's basically just pressing a number before using your improve hotkey, that doesn't add much gameplay wise. Imo Wurm is less about active gameplay that needs to be poorly emulated with needless clickery and button pushing and more about strategizing what to do with your time to achieve your goals, because anything substantial takes its sweet time. I think letting us use that time more efficiently can only be a step up from there.

Though it should probably be a seperate action like IMPROVE_AUTO as a command to retain control over which tool you want to use, in case you have multiple of one kind.

• Like 3

On 10/5/2019 at 4:07 PM, Samool said:

Right now we aim to keep the differences between the two to a minimum, but that might still change. We’re open to the possibility of a server merge in the future, joining the new servers to the Freedom cluster, but only if it makes sense and doesn’t impact any of the servers negatively.

I dislike Steam and I never use it. However, I do see why you opted to add a Steam version, and I don't mind it as long I will be still be able to play the game without Steam. However, I must point out here that there is absolutely no reason for adding Steam servers, since there are many Freedom servers already, way more that what was needed even when Wurm population were at its peak. Even if Steam version would quad that peak population of the past, the existing Freedom servers will be more than enough.

If you really want to add Steam servers, at least make them connected to Freedom servers right from the beginning. Separate Steam servers will probably be accessible via Steam only (let's not forget we are talking about the worst DRM here; if they publish Wurm, of course they will try to make it playable via Steam only; that's their job). This will impact Freedom servers in a very negative way: most new players will join the game via Steam, because sadly that's what they only know; this means that, if Steam servers are separated, Freedom servers will become the "poor sibling". I am pretty sure many Freedom players will start over on Steam not because they like Steam but because more people will be there, thus deserting Freedom even more than what it is today. On the other hand, connected servers will make the game flourish both for old and new players.

What's the necessity of adding new Steam servers, anyway? We already have 7 Freedom servers (8 if you count Jackal), and their population is miserably low. Or you have to add Steam servers because Steam asks you to do so? If that's the case then I can foresee the death of freedom (both the Freedom servers and the freedom to play the game without DRM).

On 10/10/2019 at 12:25 AM, Brash_Endeavors said:

Just Windows Linux & SteamOS.

Not even that. Steam itself is available for Debian-based Linux distributions only, and even that requires 32-bit libraries installed. In an era you can't buy a 32-bit processor if even if you wanted to, Steam is still available for 32-bit ONLY. This means that to use Steam on Linux you have to:

(1) Install multilib, a bunch of otherwise completely useless 32-bit libs, repeatedly reported to be problematic and basically an awful mess,

(2) Use Ubuntu (actually, Crapbuntu) or Debian, both crappy distros infected by systemd to the bone. You don't like those? you have to do weird tricks to make it work on other distros.

All that just to start Steam, not to mention the many problems reported even if you manage to run it. On the other hand, Wurm runs flawlessly on any GNU/Linux distribution I've tried as it is now, without Steam.

With the new update, games and everything else will have to be 64 bit to run on MAC

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/09/04/macos-catalina-update-is-about-to-punt-32-bit-games-off-the-platform/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rockpapershotgun%2Fsteam+(Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%3A+Steam+RSS)

So most likely no Wurm for MAC users for a while. Unless Wurm is already 64 bit or the devs have plans to make it 64 bit? 

Apps will have to be authorized by Apple as well.

Edited by nitram20

Wurm itself runs on Java so it runs 64 bits as long as the Java runtime it's using does. Java itself has supported 64 bit for a very long time.

The launcher is a native program but at least the one I have here on Windows is 64 bit. It also comes with a 64 bit Java runtime.

I don't know if the Mac launcher is 64 bit already but you could always fall back on running it directly as a Java program. 64 bit Java runtimes are available for Macs, and as far as the operating system is concerned it's the Java executable that is running and has to be signed. I don't know how to get that sorted out on Macs but I'm sure someone else will if it comes to it.

Edit: I had a look around the Mac installer, it contains a 64 bit native executable. Looks to be signed as well. So probably it'll be fine.

Edited by Lisimba
more info

It's absolutely ridiculous to keep releasing new servers and splitting the population further. You guys pretty much promised Epic would be updated in November and that the new ele server is temporary. Therefore, keep your promises before moving on to new projects. Stop procrastinating about Epic and get it done. We need less servers - not more. Division among a small numeral only exacerbates the same old issue. I've been on hiatus waiting for this for months now - and now you're telling me that we have to wait another 6+  months or probably a year before it gets done?

I actually thought you guys were going to stop making the same mistakes over and over again. There are three options for you guys to choose from and you should choose now.  Either:

a)  Move the home servers to freedom and get rid of Epic entirely.

b)  Follow through with the updates that were promised instead of repeating mistakes.

c ) Do nothing to Epic and screw us over again.

Pick one, but do something.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Challenge said:

It's absolutely ridiculous to keep releasing new servers and splitting the population further. You guys pretty much promised Epic would be updated in November and that the new ele server is temporary. Therefore, keep your promises before moving on to new projects. Stop procrastinating about Epic and get it done. We need less servers - not more. Division among a small numeral only exacerbates the same old issue. I've been on hiatus waiting for this for months now - and now you're telling me that we have to wait another 6+  months or probably a year before it gets done?

I actually thought you guys were going to stop making the same mistakes over and over again. There are three options for you guys to choose from and you should choose now.  Either:

a)  Move the home servers to freedom and get rid of Epic entirely.

b)  Follow through with the updates that were promised instead of repeating mistakes.

Pick one, but do something.

c is best option

51 minutes ago, Challenge said:

Have you not seen the wave of account sales going on?