Sign in to follow this  
Samool

Full Steam Ahead

57 minutes ago, wipeout said:

What does this have to do with fighting? the idea behind the mod is to take away the having to press 1-7 buttons during the improving of items aspect of the game a part that a lot of people do not like and turns them off from this game
It does not automatically mean that every action you do automatically uses the correct tool and you never have to select a tool ever again and even if it did you still equip your sword so how does this affect fighting?

Thank you i hope it goes form a maybe to a def yes in some form or another as i think it will help people like the game a lot more when it comes to the area of improving and such

because I want to make it a game where you as player need to make choices and your choices influence what happens in game, to one situation there is not only one single good option there is several and outcome is different depend on what you chose.

Your suggestion just make it a lot more boring and grindy. If that was only option I would prefer not to have improving at all and just get skill by creation. What fun is there in play a game where you just press a single key for hours every day?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sandyar said:

because I want to make it a game where you as player need to make choices and your choices influence what happens in game, to one situation there is not only one single good option there is several and outcome is different depend on what you chose.

Your suggestion just make it a lot more boring and grindy. If that was only option I would prefer not to have improving at all and just get skill by creation. What fun is there in play a game where you just press a single key for hours every day?

You just made me sit here and go "My head cant seem to grasp this" its giving me a headache

So first off that first sentence is null and void in relation to my suggestion at all so wont even try to figure out why that was said
To the 2nd how does lowering the amount of key presses needed to improve an item make it more grindy? How all it does is make it easier for a person to improve an item not harder(you still need the items like you do now it just means 1 less button press per improve action so less feeling of a grind)

And no where does that mod or my suggestion point towards you only clicking 1 button all day every day where are you coming up with that? all that improved improve does currently as a mod is automatically select the tool you need to imp the item you want to imp you still have to click the improve keybind and the repair keybind 
Im not talking about a way to automate the game or anything like that incase you are wondering that this suggestion is a way to make the improving part of the game more modern and more in line with what people come to expect from games like this so many times people joked about adding in mini games so many suggestions related to that because they found improving easy
But if you add the game to steam as it stands even with the new ui and improving is still a task that requires you to select the right tool to do an improve action a lot of people will not like it and will use that as a reason to quit the game or never grind those skills

So again my guess is you read something wrong or are taking it the wrong way as that mod in anyshape or form would affect the improving part of the game and make it better for new players and feel less of a grind to them 2 buttons is always better then 3

What about WU ? You already have a version of WO on steam.

Is WU being abandoned/no future updates? Thats what a lot of WU is rumoring in our steam discussions. 

My point is change the crafting to be more interactive or dont touch it at all, QoL is things that annoys me and doesnt bring me value as a player, that I cant keep animals alive unless I put them in a house because else the food decay in 2 days and before they have a chance to eat it, or the constant repair of stored tools on deed, lantern always decay whenever it used or not, there is many things to pick from.

I mention fighting because other games do it a lot better where players have multiple options to fight and you have to use your brain to do good and use different strategies depend on what you fight. Similar approach could be taking to crafting so you as player didnt just have to chose right action depend on what game tells you but you actually had multiple choices and effect depend on previous result and success of action.

Another thing is skill gain get rid of the illogical system where you need to use worst tool to gain skill.

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

30 minutes ago, Sandyar said:

My point is change the crafting to be more interactive or dont touch it at all, QoL is things that annoys me and doesnt bring me value as a player, that I cant keep animals alive unless I put them in a house because else the food decay in 2 days and before they have a chance to eat it, or the constant repair of stored tools on deed, lantern always decay whenever it used or not, there is many things to pick from.

I mention fighting because other games do it a lot better where players have multiple options to fight and you have to use your brain to do good and use different strategies depend on what you fight. Similar approach could be taking to crafting so you as player didnt just have to chose right action depend on what game tells you but you actually had multiple choices and effect depend on previous result and success of action.

Another thing is skill gain get rid of the illogical system where you need to use worst tool to gain skill.

So you are saying turn improving and by extension crafting into a minigame like the cooking system and fishing? where players need to read a manual and study a degree in cooking and graduate from the university of wurmfoods in order to make anything other then a breakfast?

I think the goal here is to attract players not push them away even more wurm is a complex game as it is a hard grind to get into for anyone sure you and i think this game is easy but this upcoming update is not for us as much as it is to attract a new crowd of people and finding players like us is hard but finding players who like a bit of easier game then us is easier as there are more of them out there so if they want wurm to grow they gotta make it easier to get into fix annoyances make it more streamlined not more messy

If all 130 skills had their own unique mini game you would quit for sure no one wants to learn all the quirks of every minigame out there(its why most people still dont really bother with the hfc change and just make pizza's or breakfasts) its human nature to find an easy way to do it and if you make something too complex people will find ways around it and you want to know what that is? bots bots upon bots

Currently improving is in a spot where its not to difficult but still tedious due to needing to learn the spots where you place your tools on your toolbelt and turn that thought into muscle memory in order to be able to imp for long periods of time to grind skills 
And this is where bots come in a bot can easily automate all that for you the selecting of the right tool starting the improve action when stamina is full repairing the tool when it needs to refueling the forge eating drinking when needed

Or in your case turn it into a mini game where the only way to make improving more difficult is by adding in steps along the way where are you going to hit the hammer what spot are you going to polish how long are you going to keep the item in the water thats all i can think of to make improving more interactive and to that i say that is bad game design for modern day gaming as that will lead to bots and or people quitting because why do something so tedious all day long in a "game"

We are meant to enjoy a game and to me personality whats the fun in reading a ever growing wall of text that scrolls by waiting for a timer to finish to press a button between 1 and 5 and then the improve keybind you cant do other things while doing that
Where as with this QoL change you can focus on other things you can sit there and imp items more mindlessly while farming on a priest or hunting on your main or whatever you want to do or for a new player it would make more sense to have it that way

The people who will try out wurm are the people who play games like rust and 7dtd and so on people who's experience with "total sandbox mmo's" have been ruined by games like life is feudal and so forth you wanna read a part of a review i see often on that games review section?
"This game is the GRINDIEST I have ever played before and I am not kidding about that, it takes so much time for building! If you want to play alone you pretty much can't because of how long it takes to do things and gather resources. Groups are the only way you can experience what this game has to offer and even at that point it's still grinding a lot. " mind you this guy has 300 hours in it

When life is feudal your own a game that is easily 100 times faster then wurm often is called for as too grindy because its skilling system is broken and resource gathering is screwed and unbalanced do you really want to be pushing for making wurm's skilling system more "interactive" (or as id call it worse) or more streamlined where certain quirks are taken care of by good game design

A player is more likely to keep playing a game that is slow if the experience itself is enjoyable even if overall skill gain is slow compared to if the experience is ######(over the top game mechanics bogged down with unneeded features) and the grind is quick
Players want to play a game not a game in a game

Here is a other good review that was posted up "

POSTED: 29 AUGUST
Thankfully, I bought this game when it was on sale...

I tried playing for a bit, but when I joined a server and starting walking around, all I saw was a bridge and nothing around but tress and hills. I tried to get started on my own homestead, but there was no tutorial, and so many menus, that it became a chore to figure out exactly what to do. Games are meant to be fun and there is little to no joy in this game. I should've bought Stardew Valley.

Don't waste your money on this game.

"

Sorry but the mini game aspect has been shot down a billion times and still people try to push for it at times where all that it will do is please the old crowd of players who want something new and shiny vs attract new players

Anyway yet a other rant later i know i know i make my posts to long >.>

TLDR dont make mini games out of skills to please old timers make the game more streamlined so that players get to enjoy more of the game vs a tiny section of the game due to over the top mechanics(imagine tutorial island in a mmorpg taking 2 hours to explain all the controls)

300 hours and complaining about a game, bet he didn't even finish a house. 

The arguments about the grind and other aspects are not helpful to the discussion, and detract from the thread as a whole. 

Wurm is about the journey, to some that's a grind, to others its a path to take that proves itself rewarding in the achievements. 

We are not seeking to be another cookie cutter faux sandbox mmorpg. We are aiming to be wurm, and while we may change things, we are not sacrificing  what makes wurm wurm, and that's the journey. 

• Like 10

As long as you sell it like a grindy journey, youll be fine. All the crazy people (including me) with thousands of hours in Wurm proves that as long as you dont think its a linear mmo, the journey is quite ok.

Dont sell it like an mmorpg pls. Sell it like a grindy journey with friends.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

300 hours and complaining about a game, bet he didn't even finish a house. 

The arguments about the grind and other aspects are not helpful to the discussion, and detract from the thread as a whole. 

Wurm is about the journey, to some that's a grind, to others its a path to take that proves itself rewarding in the achievements. 

We are not seeking to be another cookie cutter faux sandbox mmorpg. We are aiming to be wurm, and while we may change things, we are not sacrificing  what makes wurm wurm, and that's the journey. 

This will probably get me in trouble maybe maybe not who knows depends on the moons alignment and how many cups of tea someone has had anyways lets get started

300 hours in life is feudal a game designed to make you reach end game in a afternoon? yup we all know your trying to joke ;)

But this topic just like many others in the last few days all come down to the following "staff posts tiny snippet of information about whats happening and players respond share ideas reply to the topic and clash against each other on opinions that are shared by fellow players" this is a forum after all right so we should be able to suggest and talk about things that are related to the topic as a whole which in this case is wurm online on steam and the upcoming updates and changes that are being made to our beloved game like the other topic where someone mentioned that wurm was expensive and we all banded together to show that wurm really only costs 12-14 bucks a month depending on the amount of accounts

Wurm is about the journey yes a journey that is supposed to be enjoyed to some that is the grind to 99 to others thats to line their pockets with hard cold golden coins yet others its being social in global chat while tending half a farm field in a day we got all kinds of players here but you know what we dont have? a steady stream of players coming in vs going out we only got the last especially right now with all this news suddenly popping up about company sold way back suddenly new ideas coming up major changes happening to the game yet being told "oh they dont have their hands in wurm" this makes it really seem like they do anyway thats a whole topic for that other post that is up there ;)

No one here is aiming for wurm to become a cookie cutter fake mmorpg sandbox like the failure that is life is feudal or that lazy cheap simple game that is 7 days to die(just ignore the fact it sold over 3 million copies) or other mmo's that at their prime have over a million players because of good game mechanics no wurm doesnt strive to become that big as we all know with the current game design it cant as there arent that many of us out there who will spend years playing an ever progressively getting worse game(or so some people claim anyway)

While you aim to keep wurm as wurm can we go back to the times where trolls 2 shot you and where wagons and boats did not exist and where the idea was of having a ore cap of ql 50 on pve servers with a head dev who wants to make the game full pvp? as that was its vision ;)
Anyway those who are not willing to change with the times are left behind to die off you want to put wurm on steam well a ui update alone wont fix it adding in some simple QoL changes wont fix wurm from dying out you want wurm to not be shut down within a few years by your new owners? start getting results in a reasonable time frame and how do you do that? streamlining the game slowly but surely finding issues that currently drive people away and fixing those would go a long way to making this game last and grow

Anyways setting aside that sarcasm of mine that i did on purpose towards your replies retro ❤️ 

All that i suggest with my suggestion and sandyar is the opposite of what i suggest but anyway right now when we mine we use 1 keybind 1 action to mine we dont have to aim the pickaxe left right up or down(sandyar prob would love to make it that way) we dont have to move the shovel into the ground and pull it out while digging(we have to with fishing -.- )
Yet we have to do multiple clicks(translate to aiming the pickaxe a different way) to do 1 action which is improving
Current solutions to this which as oblivionreaver hinted at are as follows program your g keys to press 1 and improve and repair keybind in a row with no repeat and mash g1-g5 and hope 1 hits if you dont want to get the muscle memory to learn which bit of text leads to which key being pressed
So the suggestion comes why have that step when there are allowed ways around it to a degree already why not take that step out and replace it with something else even if its the crafting window equivalent where we press 1 button to improve and 1 to repair and we gotta drop all required tools into tool slots(one time only) or something silly like that it would still make the improving part of the game more fun to players who do not like that aspect of the game

7dtd went through a few versions of their improving methods from making new tools at higher quality to being able to combine items to get a higher average to improve kits to players being able to make improvements straight to their items so what im saying is dont feel afraid to experiment with it find issues in the game that bug players ask people what they like and dont like and go from there you got all our emails you can send out a google form with a simple questionnaire so use it use us for ideas

If anything this topic has shown that 1 samool has some great ideas and is willing to share that info 2 people are still wanting to express their desire to make changes and 3 people still have conflicting views with each other and all 3 things are good things to have in a community

Anyway  you dont haaaave to read my replies(if you dont retro we will find you and we will tickle you to death) i just love typing i love voicing my opinion on things its nice to see people's different views and get to understand them and hey good things come out of conversations like that(compared to that dark pit on the forums called the Skirmishes thread with its 1245 pages of toxic waste ;)  )

Oh and to add 

32 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

As long as you sell it like a grindy journey, youll be fine. All the crazy people (including me) with thousands of hours in Wurm proves that as long as you dont think its a linear mmo, the journey is quite ok.

Dont sell it like an mmorpg pls. Sell it like a grindy journey with friends.

1000000000 times this

Edited by wipeout
  • Like 3

I never read your replies, you write more than ten words and I lose concentration. 

There's always room for discussion, but when the past three threads have devolved into the same arguments I don't think this one needs to as well. 

I get it, you feel the wurm that appealed to you won't appeal to others, or others fear we won't have tens of thousands of players because we don't make things more casual oriented. Honestly if we get a couple of hundred premium players I'd still consider it a success, and I do feel there is a market for a game that requires time, patience, and a straight up honest subscription VS micro transactions aimed down your throat with the intention of making you pay more because you don't add up how much you've spent. 

As for the updates themselves, quite a few were written by me and have been sitting on the shelf for some time, the loyalty system was written and partially implemented with the intention of it coming out this year already, the combat streamlining was mostly written by me and is aimed more at giving feedback and tactical options VS "action combat". 

We are taking new steps with all of this, but on one side we have players demanding we keep it exactly the same for a merge, and on the other we have players demanding it change drastically in order to appeal to a broader market. In the end we aim to take ideas from both sides, in order to make steam wo what we want it to be, a game that appeals to players who enjoy the journey, and don't want to rely on whales for the game to survive. 

As for Wu, it is most definitely not the same, Wu is a spin off game with a vastly different target market, which is the far more casual gamer and one who wants a smaller tight knit group to play on. We don't know what we will be doing with it yet, but most content updates will be wo only, any decision regarding putting it into maintenance mode or critical bugfixes only will be announced seperately if the decision is made. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

I never read your replies, you write more than ten words and I lose concentration. 

There's always room for discussion, but when the past three threads have devolved into the same arguments I don't think this one needs to as well. 

I get it, you feel the wurm that appealed to you won't appeal to others, or others fear we won't have tens of thousands of players because we don't make things more casual oriented. Honestly if we get a couple of hundred premium players I'd still consider it a success, and I do feel there is a market for a game that requires time, patience, and a straight up honest subscription VS micro transactions aimed down your throat with the intention of making you pay more because you don't add up how much you've spent. 

As for the updates themselves, quite a few were written by me and have been sitting on the shelf for some time, the loyalty system was written and partially implemented with the intention of it coming out this year already, the combat streamlining was mostly written by me and is aimed more at giving feedback and tactical options VS "action combat". 

We are taking new steps with all of this, but on one side we have players demanding we keep it exactly the same for a merge, and on the other we have players demanding it change drastically in order to appeal to a broader market. In the end we aim to take ideas from both sides, in order to make steam wo what we want it to be, a game that appeals to players who enjoy the journey, and don't want to rely on whales for the game to survive. 

As for Wu, it is most definitely not the same, Wu is a spin off game with a vastly different target market, which is the far more casual gamer and one who wants a smaller tight knit group to play on. We don't know what we will be doing with it yet, but most content updates will be wo only, any decision regarding putting it into maintenance mode or critical bugfixes only will be announced seperately if the decision is made. 

10 words only oh no that means by the time im done with this sentence he wont read it anymore so sad 💔 

Which means he wont read this anymore retro has a smelly butt ;)

Honestly i will consider it a win for wurm if we get 10 new people playing  this month if we get 10k players i think the team would not be able to get enough staff in time to deliver good quality support ;) but still imagine wurm with 10k online at all times 
And hey if there wasnt a market that required wurm,wurm, and wurm's business model vs path of exile we would not be here today i think none of us really would stick around if we didnt love this game

Anyway you guys now vs you guys a few months back are so much different already so keep up the good work and lets hope wurm is around when we are in our 90's
Oh and someone tell retro he should learn to count past 10 ❤️

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Wow such a compliment 😂

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

As for Wu ..... We don't know what we will be doing with it yet, but most content updates will be wo only 

Hmm. 

48 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Wu is a spin off game with a vastly different target market, which is the far more casual gamer

Oh, if only that were true...

X2SIPSb.png

(Sobs at wasted life.)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

x9dUvCu.jpg

Here we see a rare community relations coordinator in its natural habitat, look at it go following the footsteps of its predecessors angering players left and right showing that he just like the big bois at EA GAMES don't care for their players of none main franchise games

<3

18 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:
55 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

As for Wu ..... We don't know what we will be doing with it yet, but most content updates will be wo only 

Hmm.

To be honest, that is worrying me to. Asking for clarification: Does this mean: "The recently prepared content updates are aimed at Steam WO and original WO for the time being, and may or may not added to WU depending on their appropriateness"?

Or does this mean: "We shifted our attention off WU, and won't service it much in the future if at all"?

The further would be fine with me depending on how it is dealt. The latter would raise doubts in the reliability of CC and GC.

As for QoL, I already mentioned some great things

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sklo:D said:

As for QoL, I already mentioned some great things

No

3 minutes ago, wipeout said:

Here we see a rare community relations coordinator in its natural habitat, look at it go following the footsteps of its predecessors angering players left and right showing that he just like the big bois at EA GAMES don't care for their players of none main franchise games

❤️

Wait you're angry? 

Just now, Retrograde said:

Wait you're angry? 

No im not that other guy might be at your reply :(

2 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

To be honest, that is worrying me to. Asking for clarification: Does this mean: "The recently prepared content updates are aimed at Steam WO and original WO for the time being, and may or may not added to WU depending on their appropriateness"?

Or does this mean: "We shifted our attention off WU, and won't service it much in the future if at all"?

The further would be fine with me depending on how it is dealt. The latter would raise doubts in the reliability of CC and GC.

At this point the focus is on wo steam and qol stuff, I hope to have a solid answer to this soon 

1 minute ago, Ekcin said:

Very easy to say why, Wurm Unlimited has very likely already more unique players than Wurm Online at the moment. So a bit of a panic move. In one of my projects I count about 1000 unique steam ids every month, which should show what Wurm Unlimited really has become the young brother getting a lot more attention and doing a lot better than the old brother.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

No

No to what? I mean there are hundreds of players currently loving those changes and enjoying them in the second we speak. 

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 2