Sign in to follow this  
MinorArchitect

What’s up with the forum guests?

Every time I scroll down to check who’s online on the forums, I see that there are usually 2-3 times the number of guest accounts compared to public accounts logged in, yet I never see any guest accounts posting on the forums. Does anyone know what’s up with that?

Since guests are unregistered users, they can't post on this forum. I do not believe they have permission to without registering. On why it's so many, I have no idea. I've never monitored the number of guests online to be honest.

May not be accurate, but I think a lot of us view the forums on our phone if we're not at home.  I do and I know most the time my phone refuses to remember my login so I'm viewing as a guest until I purposely login to post or reply to a PM.

1 minute ago, Nomadikhan said:

May not be accurate, but I think a lot of us view the forums on our phone if we're not at home.  I do and I know most the time my phone refuses to remember my login so I'm viewing as a guest until I purposely login to post or reply to a PM.

Oh, I wasn’t aware that just viewing counts as being a guest. That probably explains it. 

Aye if you are not logged in, you are guest viewing, which in our case yes is likely a lot of regulars but also is likely a lot of online bots and such scrolling past or through or forums.

Additionally there are older posts from accounts that are "Guest_<name>", that I think? are from older forum versions, and those accounts were deleted on older forum migrations. Haven't seen anything new like that since I started so must be incredibly old.

• Like 1

Another probability is that a lot of former players are checking the forums because of the Steam excitement, but do not feel like formally "logging in", especially if they made a big dramatic exit or still have people they do not want to deal with  "looking for them".

Or had an official forum/game ban, etc etc, but see Steam as being their chance to slide back in without notice on a brand new account. Also Steam WU users who never got a WO forum account, but want to speculate on any impact on WU gameplay.

Could also be some "local gossip" on other gaming sites about the upcoming Steam launch (one of two Wurmians telling people in their next-favorite game to keep an eye on the game for Steam launch).

In any case, probably a lot of Wurmians choosing to fly in under the radar for various reasons.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MinorArchitect said:

Does anyone know what’s up with that?

I could give you a *guest-timate* about it but it would just be idle speculation so....

=Ayes=

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

I thought only a few open forums, judging by the relatively same names we read around.. seems like nobody new ever posts, unless they eventually have a suggestion/question or problem to report(forums are still terrible idea to report bugs)

As for guests.. you can right click almost any topic/profile and read it in incognito mode.. you'll either be able to read the page or be blocked(only allowing logged-in accounts for some pages), if you can read it that way... you're probably counted as guest.

Hopefully its new players who have not made a forum account yet. I had premium long before I had a forum account.

• Like 1