Sign in to follow this  
tsuyoichan

Newbie question

Hi, I've just found out this game on Apknite and started playing it. I can't dig any grass or dirt with my shovel. Says it fails to penetrate the earth no matter how hard you try. Can anyone help me out?

42 minutes ago, tsuyoichan said:

Hi, I've just found out this game on Apknite and started playing it. I can't dig any grass or dirt with my shovel. Says it fails to penetrate the earth no matter how hard you try. Can anyone help me out?

Hello, are you by any chance still on the starter deed? Deeds are protected from people without village permissions digging. Try to move away a little from the beaten trail and remember to examine the ground tile as it will tell you a lot of useful information.

If this is the exact error you are getting, it would be this:

Your shovel fails to penetrate the earth no matter what you try. Weird.

You are trying to dig in an area protected by the GMs. Find a different spot.

In Wurm everything is player made, but some areas are protected. This includes starter towns (the areas you spawn in), heritage sites and such. When you right click and Examine the tile you're on, it should tell you whether you're in a village. You just need to leave that place in order to be able to dig. The Events window (the place where you see the message when you examine) will give you an automatic message telling you when you are leaving or entering a deed.

Some further hints:

If you're trying to dig in a spot, make sure that the surrounding area is free of all bushes and trees. That goes for one tile around the tile you're trying to dig.

If you're trying to dig in a place that's too steep for you, it should tell you that you are not strong enough to dig in that place yet. The max slope you can dig is determined by your digging skill.

If you're digging in a place that appears to be dirt or grass but is actually right above a rock layer, it should tell you that you cannot dig in solid rock.

You can find all errors and rules about digging here: https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Digging

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

1 hour ago, tsuyoichan said:

First, welcome to Wurm Online. It sounds that you are in the starter town of Haven's Landing. There are some areas you may alter by terraforming (digging, dropping dirt or sand, mining, etc. depending on the terrain), and others where you cannot to avoid disfiguring of the town and its installations. There is a sandy area opposite to the woodcutting area where digging is allowed and welcome.

Outside the settlement and other villages you may dig freely. Click on the ground (or choose right click -> Examine) to find out where you are standing on.

Hope that helped. Have fun.

Edited by Ekcin
typo

4 hours ago, tsuyoichan said:

It sounds like you are currently in the tutorial area.  There is a specific place where you need to go to dig dirt/sand.  If you look around, you will see buildings and signs leading to the dig, mine and tree areas.

Head toward the sand and dig there for the tutorial.

11 hours ago, tsuyoichan said:

Hi, I've just found out this game on Apknite and started playing it. 

This is interesting -- is this new for Wurm Online? I was not aware it works on Android now.  I could not find it on the site but I am probably not looking in the right spot:

https://apknite.com/

About APKNite

APK downloader is the one-stop Android shop! Download the very latest in apps and games for Android right here for free! APK downloader does exactly what the name suggests, it lets you download APK files direct to your Android device.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I searched for Wurm, Wurm Online and Wurm unlimited on there, but there were 0 results. 

It -does- have minecraft however, and I suppose it is possible for someone to start googling minecraft and end up on wurm....

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, atazs said:

I searched for Wurm, Wurm Online and Wurm unlimited on there, but there were 0 results. 

maybe was an small ads

? Why isn't the gm protected land with easier to understand message, closer to... 'move aside.. try some other place..'(land here is protected by higher power/etc) rather than.. "you can't dig, weird" 👾

• Like 2