Rolf

Steam and new Product Manager

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, wipeout said:

Its a game i grew up with and its a 1 of a kind game that i just love the building aspect of anything terraforming/deed creation i love
..

Thanks for the answer. If you enjoy it go ahead and have fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I feel comfortable and continue my game or will you decide to delete original WO after the new Steam release? @Retrograde@Rolf

Is there a possibility if the original game will be depopulated?

I feel sorry for the questions, but as a loyal customer i must know if i have to interrupt my loyalty after 10 years of premium non stop. (I'm not the only one)

What i wanna know is if in case of low population the game will be sustainable for the company. I just wanna make sure if is it worth keep playing.

And if more update/merging options might be a real option.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ogwo isn't going anywhere, we will be working on a quality of life focused update in preparing for launch on steam, and some features of ogwo may change, but it will receive most updates that steam wo does, likely some will be added to steam only due to differences in platform and market but we won't be removing ogwo or letting it fall behind. 

 

As for shift of players from ogwo to steam wo, it's a hard thing to quantify, it will likely have some appeal for those seeking a fresh start, but we won't be seeking to push players from ogwo to steam 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Ogwo isn't going anywhere, we will be working on a quality of life focused update in preparing for launch on steam, and some features of ogwo may change, but it will receive most updates that steam wo does, likely some will be added to steam only due to differences in platform and market but we won't be removing ogwo or letting it fall behind. 

 

As for shift of players from ogwo to steam wo, it's a hard thing to quantify, it will likely have some appeal for those seeking a fresh start, but we won't be seeking to push players from ogwo to steam 

And what will you do if the numbers on wo fell to lets say half, or third the numbers are now, due to people move to steam, and if that third starts decreasing even faster due to that untill there are just few people left active per server? What if during some time frame there aren't anyone loging on Release for example because they are playing on Steam? Where is the line? Clean and honest answer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not rule out (unless Valve's rules forbid that which I cannot imagine) that steam Wurm players consider exploring the original server world which will be ways larger than steam WO. So ogwo could possibly profit instead of suffering from steam launch if things go well.

 

In that context: Which size (if any) is considered for the new servers, Indy-like, Xanadu-like, or like the small servers?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

I would not rule out (unless Valve's rules forbid that which I cannot imagine) that steam Wurm players consider exploring the original server world which will be ways larger than steam WO. So ogwo could possibly profit instead of suffering from steam launch if things go well.

 

In that context: Which size (if any) is considered for the new servers, Indy-like, Xanadu-like, or like the small servers?

That's something that can happen too. And i really hope if it comes to overpopulating steam server they will as answer to that merge servers instead of opening new steam ones.

But right now it's 50-50 chance for everything and we can't really know what will happen.

And i would really like to keep the skills i have, and not to loose deed i've put so much effort in,  to be able to play Wurm. Harsh reality is that things might get even worse for existing servers no matter how good it goes on steam, and we really need very hard proof that existing servers won't be shut down no matter what.

Edited by kochinac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

In that context: Which size (if any) is considered for the new servers, Indy-like, Xanadu-like, or like the small servers?

 

 

I hope that they NEVER consider a Xanadu-sized server again, based on the lessons learned in WO. Ever. No matter how often they are told, "but this time it will be fine!" Never, ever.

 

I guess indy sized is doable but frankly it might be better to start with a couple of Deli-sized (one PVP, 1-2 PVE) as it is way easier to later  add as many  smaller servers as needed. However my feeling is that one Deli sized PVE server will quickly be filled up simply from past+present OGWO players interested in testing it out, so they would want to have a second "ready to go" small (Deli size) PVE they could plug in the first week if the first one immediately fills up.  

 

I have no idea what the ideal size is for PVP, so PVP players should comment on that. I know they normally do not like being spread too thin over a very large server. Was Chaos ever too small, in its glory days? Was Epic too big?

 

I think merging Steam + OGWU should be "off the table" for at least the first year.

 

 

 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Cat 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

 

 

I hope that they NEVER consider a Xanadu-sized server again, based on the lessons learned in WO. Ever. No matter how often they are told, "but this time it will be fine!" Never, ever.

 

I guess indy sized is doable but frankly it might be better to start with a couple of Deli-sized (one PVP, 1-2 PVE) as it is way easier to later  add as many  smaller servers as needed. However my feeling is that one Deli sized PVE server will quickly be filled up simply from OGWO players interested in testing it out, so they would want to have a second "ready to go" small (Deli size) PVE they could plug in the first week if the first one fills up.  

 

I have no idea what the ideal size is for PVP, so PVP players should comment on that. I know they normally do not like being spread too thin over a very large server. Was Chaos ever too small, in its glory days? Was Epic too big?

 

I think merging Steam + OGWU should be "off the table" for at least the first year.

 

 

 

Hope the devs doesn't take any of this or similar nonsense seriously

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Ogwo isn't going anywhere, we will be working on a quality of life focused update in preparing for launch on steam, and some features of ogwo may change, but it will receive most updates that steam wo does, likely some will be added to steam only due to differences in platform and market but we won't be removing ogwo or letting it fall behind. 

 

As for shift of players from ogwo to steam wo, it's a hard thing to quantify, it will likely have some appeal for those seeking a fresh start, but we won't be seeking to push players from ogwo to steam 

Whats the difference between how WU is treated and how ogwo is slated to be treated in the future? Sounds eerily similiar.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

So after steam WO will we expect Wurm Unchained  next ?

 

That, but only if there's any OGWO players left to fund it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kochinac said:

And what will you do if the numbers on wo fell to lets say half, or third the numbers are now, due to people move to steam, and if that third starts decreasing even faster due to that untill there are just few people left active per server? What if during some time frame there aren't anyone loging on Release for example because they are playing on Steam? Where is the line? Clean and honest answer?

Look at wu those who wanted to play a wu style wurm went there a lot came back some stayed on wu we didnt magically loose a huge number like 3/4th or something insane and just like with wurm on steam it also wont suddenly cause this to happen sure a few will go there try it out(just like with jackal) and then come back again and some will maybe stay(if the map is good)

Speaking of maps hey @Retrogradecan we get a full map dump at the start going with monthly updates all cataloged so that we can look at how the servers progress as time goes on? kinda like a slow paced time lapse 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

all this chat about pvp toxicity reminds me of bofa

bofa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Ogwo isn't going anywhere, we will be working on a quality of life focused update in preparing for launch on steam, and some features of ogwo may change, but it will receive most updates that steam wo does, likely some will be added to steam only due to differences in platform and market but we won't be removing ogwo or letting it fall behind. 

 

As for shift of players from ogwo to steam wo, it's a hard thing to quantify, it will likely have some appeal for those seeking a fresh start, but we won't be seeking to push players from ogwo to steam 

 

It will receive MOST of the updates that steam wo does? So there will be differences between the steam servers and the current servers? Then  how can they be merged in the existing clusters in the future? What kind of differences should we be thinking about there? Anything that might make it difficult to merge those servers into the existing clusters later on?

 

Will new players be able to chose if they want to go to the original servers or to the new servers by using the steam client? Otherwise how will you ensure that the original servers don't just die out population wise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Madnath said:

bofa?

 

I assume it refers to this incredibly funny online meme

 

thumb_transkafka-ronald-reagan-died-with

 

 

 

That, or a Dr Suess creature who is particularly disliked for eating grapes on the sofa

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

 

I hope that they NEVER consider a Xanadu-sized server again, based on the lessons learned in WO. Ever. No matter how often they are told, "but this time it will be fine!" Never, ever.

 

While I fail to see what's wrong with Xanadu (ok some lag issues which I expect to alleviate further a lot with an AWS migration), I agree that more than one server on steam would not be a bad idea, allowing PVE cross server sailing, not just an isolated continent. One PvP server should be ok. Maybe one Indy, one smaller server sized one.
In case of overpopulation a Xanadu sized server to be added might be mulled given no technical issues against exist anymore.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

 

While I fail to see what's wrong with Xanadu (ok some lag issues which I expect to alleviate further a lot with an AWS migration), I agree that more than one server on steam would not be a bad idea, allowing PVE cross server sailing, not just an isolated continent. One PvP server should be ok. Maybe one Indy, one smaller server sized one.
In case of overpopulation a Xanadu sized server to be added might be mulled given no technical issues against exist anymore.

 

It isn't about lag, its simple sheer size, it is overwhelming in its vastness and logistically annoying to build up. Even with 2000+ people active on Xanadu it would still be a ghostown other than the coastal areas which is the case now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jeston said:

It isn't about lag, its simple sheer size, it is overwhelming in its vastness and logistically annoying to build up. Even with 2000+ people active on Xanadu it would still be a ghostown other than the coastal areas which is the case now.

 

Is that a bad thing? I like having vast regions of wild land to explore. As long as population centers exist and people can get to them, I don't see the problem.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

 

Is that a bad thing? I like having vast regions of wild land to explore. As long as population centers exist and people can get to them, I don't see the problem.

 

Yeah maybe when steam beats Wurms current most online ever record on a constant basis, right now this second you can be all alone on 8x8 islands if you so desire. The lack of people to find is one of the many turn offs for people who come fresh into the game.

Edited by Jeston
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kochinac said:

And what will you do if the numbers on wo fell to lets say half, or third the numbers are now, due to people move to steam, and if that third starts decreasing even faster due to that untill there are just few people left active per server? What if during some time frame there aren't anyone loging on Release for example because they are playing on Steam? Where is the line? Clean and honest answer?

We have zero intention of closing any servers. If steam is a wild success and all the population is there I'm sure that the income from that can support the quieter ogwo servers. 

 

9 hours ago, Pingpong said:

Whats the difference between how WU is treated and how ogwo is slated to be treated in the future? Sounds eerily similiar.

This will be the same game, not a spin-off. Updates will happen at the same time and content will come at the same time. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ecrir said:

It will receive MOST of the updates that steam wo does? So there will be differences between the steam servers and the current servers? Then  how can they be merged in the existing clusters in the future? What kind of differences should we be thinking about there? Anything that might make it difficult to merge those servers into the existing clusters later on?

We want to keep the differences minimal, but we are open to changing the steam version in order to address some of the issues that have been raised, and in ways that make it difficult to introduce to ogwo. 

 

This is mostly just leeway in case there are differences, but all updates being discussed are applying to both clusters at this point in time 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

We want to keep the differences minimal, but we are open to changing the steam version in order to address some of the issues that have been raised, and in ways that make it difficult to introduce to ogwo. 

 

This is mostly just leeway in case there are differences, but all updates being discussed are applying to both clusters at this point in time 

difficult to introduce or dont want put them wo? (like wo updateds dong going into wu)
people would complain if change are added or dont, at end is a bet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tamat said:

difficult to introduce or dont want put them wo? (like wo updateds dong going into wu)
people would complain if change are added or dont, at end is a bet...

Just different, we intend on them being the same game, this isn't a spin off like Wu was 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Actually...

 

Most negative reviews come from PAY TO WIN grind.

 

There is a subtle difference there.

in the case of lif mmo which is a game extremely similar to this, almost all the reviews were citing the grind as being the killer even though their grind was nowhere near as bad as wurm's.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2019 at 3:27 PM, Ekcin said:

There is no PvP community

 

Sure there is. We're small, but we're here. And we're staying :P

 

The irony is that if all the players complaining that PvP is dead were actually doing PvP instead of complaining that PvP is dead, they'd have nothing to complain about :rolleyes:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.