Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Steam and new Product Manager

7 hours ago, Belrindor said:

Either monthly sub for playing (and should be more than one character, per toon is ridiculous. We should be able to have, say, 5 or so toons on the same account with the caveat that only ONE can be logged in AT A TIME), OR a fee for deeds (silver) .

I think a sub per account would be fine, though I'd propose an upgrade to how Eve does it. For example, add extra tiers to the subscription, allowing you to have additional characters logged in at the same time (which is what a lot of people with paid alts do right now, saving them the hassle of having to transfer those alts to different accounts). As for the deed, how about adding a silver per month as a reward for having premium, just like sleep powder? That covers the absolute minimum for deed upkeep (which is a pretty large deed).

That way a minimum subscription covers both, but you could choose to spend more if you want a larger deed, or more characters online at the same time.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Belrindor said:

I know ya'll are married to the subscription model and think it's the best most viable option. But really, it's what's going to keep people from coming to the game en masse. Sure, you can point to other games, such as World of Warcraft or even EVE, but both have lost tens of millions of subscribers.

Most modern gamers don't want yet ANOTHER monthly bill.

And starting out to pay for a sub, and then pay AGAIN for silver for a deed? Most simply won't do it.

Years ago when I first started playing WO, 9/10 of the newbies I'd help quit once they found out about the 'double' subscription of sub + deed.

Refusing to address this situation, and worse, pooh poohing it like the subscription model it still viable to the majority of gamers,  and that the problem doesn't exist, is what's going to bite you in the end.

If you absolutely refuse to drop the subscription model, then pick one. Either monthly sub for playing (and should be more than one character, per toon is ridiculous. We should be able to have, say, 5 or so toons on the same account with the caveat that only ONE can be logged in AT A TIME), OR a fee for deeds (silver). Most people look at both, then just ragequit. That's been my experience for years and why all my neighbors dropped off and why it's a ghost town from Clay Harbor to A Zen Moment on Pristine.

True but majority of people look at the graphics first before even deciding to download the game. While Wurm can look pretty to us it will still look very dated and pale compared to other games.

Another thing is that most people won't cope with 1x/1x. That's already apparent in old reviews and it's very bad for content creators.

I can imagine twitch stream of bridge building but can't imagine more than 5 people watching it.

• Like 2

I really don't see the point in releasing another Wurm version on Steam, instead of running with Wurm Unlimited and opening a number of official CC WU servers. It's just a mess. Merge all into one Wurm, and make premium and in-game money a matter for official CC servers. Develop one product, focus on one product, work towards a release of 2.0 instead, and develop a product that has a modern look and feel. Make the game into something players choose. As it is, WO is more or less enforced, it's the "real" game, that's the feeling players get.

You've created a split, WU has become a competition against WO, though a lesser competitor, at least that's the impression and feeling I get from the devs. Instead of creating a better Wurm in total, it's become a matter of projecting "WU isn't good enough and WU players aren't good enough, it's not the real thing", the "Wurm aristocracy". Well, meanwhile MineCraft has sold 100 million copies, it's one game on many platforms, no competition among the platforms, Minecrafters on Android aren't better or worse than Minecrafters on Playstation, it's just one game. How many subscriptions for how many years would it take to cover 100 million copies sold of WU do you think? Where will the Minecraft kids go when they get bored by cubes? They should go to Wurm, but they won't, because they won't find what they look for in Wurm.

• Like 5

Kinda late to the party and still reading through things but if you can make it so existing accounts can log into the original servers from the steam launcher why not allow new steam accounts to either start on the "new" progression servers or the option to start playing on the existing servers with out needing a separate launcher.  Many will want to play on a fresh start server but others might want to play on an established world.  More options are good. And getting an influx to the existing servers and the new one at the same time can't hurt.  Just my noobie 2 cents. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tenniel said:

[...] Minecrafters on Android aren't better or worse than Minecrafters on Playstation, it's just one game. [...]

You do know there are differences between the Versions on the different Platforms?

especially on the Playstation where no cross-platform play is possible (afaik).

Some Versions do not have the Minecraft Marketplace for inApp purchases...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tenniel said:

I really don't see the point in releasing another Wurm version on Steam, instead of running with Wurm Unlimited and opening a number of official CC WU servers. It's just a mess. Merge all into one Wurm, and make premium and in-game money a matter for official CC servers. Develop one product, focus on one product, work towards a release of 2.0 instead, and develop a product that has a modern look and feel. Make the game into something players choose. As it is, WO is more or less enforced, it's the "real" game, that's the feeling players get.

why will pay for both, wu and then subscription, if can play on any wu server for free with better exp, timers and QoL?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tamat said:

why will pay for both, wu and then subscription, if can play on any wu server for free with better exp, timers and QoL?

Well, let's say WO/WU distinction is removed, there's only Wurm. You install Wurm, if you choose to play on non-official servers, you will need to buy the game and can then join any external server because there are no costs for CC to run such servers. If you instead play on the official CC servers you'll need to buy a premium subscription. One Wurm, different access points to servers. To support updates for players using the external servers, make each update an expansion that has to be paid for, still the client is accessed in full on the official CC servers. Doesn't have to be complicated, yet, player run servers are no cost at all for CC.

Btw, 100 million copies sold, if it was WU it would cover 2 916 667 premium subscriptions for ten years. According to Wikipedia Terraria has sold 27 million copies, if that was WU it would cover 787 500 premium subscriptions for ten years.

Edited by Tenniel

On 10/12/2019 at 2:11 AM, Tenniel said:

Yeah, that's what the WO player base are telling themselves, that they are keeping the game afloat. I disagree, I think the WO player base are suffocating the game by being a heavy weight, uninviting to new players. How can a few hundred players paying for premium and some silver compare even the least to a player base of millions? The heavy premium and silver model is not attracting new players, why would new players go into that?

To make an old game keep up with the times, you need to see that it's the large player base that makes the game float, and the only way of getting there that is to make it attractive to new players. WU has that potential, it could attract a huge player base, but why would new players join a game that's halfhearted at best, it never was a sincere release, and everyone knows it. By making WU a complete game, and making it possible to unlock the potential for modders and server hosts to extend the game as far as they can imagine, it would attract unlimited amounts of players, because each player could find the perfect server for their taste. As it is, WU is but a pale shadow, designed to be a demo, meant to attract players to start on WO, but that will never happen.

If that is your main base.. that is your main base.. 

If that is your only or biggest income source, that is.. you get the idea...

Players should NOT be forced to invite anyone in the game.. that's the PR/ads/marketing dept work to promote the game, how... pff.. I'm not a pr/ads/marketing guy to comment that.
"If you like a beer - you buy and enjoy it.. you do not go around the streets and shove it in people's faces, making them buy it.. right?"

There are probably several ways to make a WU db immortal and safe to restore and redistribute, also create a protocol to link existing servers and bind them by specific rules.. etc... making it a new system of servers creating new wurm world.. that didnt happen for the past .. years.. and I do not imagine it will.. in next 10 so.. lets not comment on that :), wu's offline test grounds.. or random server owned by like 5 people who have kept theirs for a bit more than others.. but that's it..

Who keeps the oldest wurm servers in existence? CC. So.. do you want to play on the main cluster and support the company and people developing the game.. up to you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

If that is your main base.. that is your main base.. 

If that is your only or biggest income source, that is.. you get the idea...

Sure, well, I'm just pointing out that this mentality is the current mentality among WO people and devs, and that mentality isn't revitalising Wurm nor is it going to market the game or bring any more income from new players.

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

Players should NOT be forced to invite anyone in the game.. that's the PR/ads/marketing dept work to promote the game, how... pff.. I'm not a pr/ads/marketing guy to comment that.
"If you like a beer - you buy and enjoy it.. you do not go around the streets and shove it in people's faces, making them buy it.. right?"

Actually, that's exactly what's happening, I don't particularly enjoy WO, I started on Xanadu and just didn't like the concept, but I loved the game as such so I moved to WU and have stayed there since. But all this time, WO keeps pointing out that it's the "real" game, WU isn't really Wurm, it's for freeloaders and cheapskates, lazy people who don't want the hard WO style of game play. Guess what, Wurming on a WU 1x1x server is bloody harder than WO, so it's just ignorance, but still. Now they are stopping updates to WU, and before that they delayed the updates to point out WU should be seen as inferior and direct players towards WO - because that's the real game. They are shoving it in people's face, and have been doing since 2015.

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

There are probably several ways to make a WU db immortal and safe to restore and redistribute, also create a protocol to link existing servers and bind them by specific rules.. etc... making it a new system of servers creating new wurm world.. that didnt happen for the past .. years.. and I do not imagine it will.. in next 10 so.. lets not comment on that :), wu's offline test grounds.. or random server owned by like 5 people who have kept theirs for a bit more than others.. but that's it..

No, WU servers are running as stable as WO servers, mine has been running at 100% up-time for the past year, but that's because I just started it a year ago, and we have a steady growing community of usually 10-20 players on a daily basis, and I'm not talking four players with five alts each, because I've made it so you can only login with one alt at the same time. WO statistics are unreliable because you never know how many players really are there plus alts, but checking stats at the time of writing Deliverance: 12,  Pristine: 11, Release: 17, but of course those are very small maps, we have a 4k map, but we have steady growing numbers. I have no fear for the stability of our server in any way, no I'm concerned for Wurm itself.

3 hours ago, Finnn said:

Who keeps the oldest wurm servers in existence? CC. So.. do you want to play on the main cluster and support the company and people developing the game.. up to you.

Hehe, what does that have to do with anything? Let's look at wikipedia again: "Terraria reached 200,000 copies sold in the first nine days following its initial release". That's nine days man, and it cost 10 euro, which means, in nine days it generated the same amount of income that 2 000 premium WO subscriptions generates in ten years. So, what does the age of the servers have to do with anything? No, I don't want to play on the main clusters, most of the people developing the game comes from the WU modding world. Your ultimatum: "support the company and people developing the game.. ", means that supporting development has and can only have one way: play WO, or else!... Why? Why is it so hard to think in other ways? To see other models? To see that I really have no interest at all in going to WO, there's nothing there for me. You yourself are shoving it in my face, and I don't like it. I've been asking for days now, just create a way for WU enthusiasts to support development of the game, but no response, nothing. I don't want WO, I like WU and I'm not leaving.

21 hours ago, Finnn said:

I'm playing WU. What are they developing exactly? There are no updates and content in game focused on buildnig is modest. Nearly are walls are lazy reskins with different texture/name slapped on them. T walls don't even have correct UVWs applied to them. 

I'd rather stay on Genesis and when some day it will shutdown I will just move on. There is plenty of games in this genre.

Can't really imagine playing WO with 1x/1/x unfun torture and paying someone for it.

Make unified cash shop for WO&WU and then you can have my money.

• Like 1

So the main game of WO is attempting to hold onto players and draw new ones to it by restricting some of the new developments from WU. This seems unreasonable somehow? Now don't get me wrong I have played on a number of WU servers and actually preferred playing on them in comparison to WO but it seems to me that the main game needs to look after its own best interests before those of WU. It seems that the WU players are just finally realizing that this is what is happening.

I think they also need to take this approach with the new Steam WO servers in restricting some appealing aspects to the main game of WO in an attempt to eventually draw some of the Steam WO players to it as well.

=Ayes=

• Cat 1

Will it be PC only or Mac and Linux too???

nvm just read on a different forum page that it will come to Mac

Edited by Jerryc
new info

16 hours ago, Ayes said:

So the main game of WO is attempting to hold onto players and draw new ones to it by restricting some of the new developments from WU. This seems unreasonable somehow? Now don't get me wrong I have played on a number of WU servers and actually preferred playing on them in comparison to WO but it seems to me that the main game needs to look after its own best interests before those of WU. It seems that the WU players are just finally realizing that this is what is happening.

I think they also need to take this approach with the new Steam WO servers in restricting some appealing aspects to the main game of WO in an attempt to eventually draw some of the Steam WO players to it as well.

So you see no problem with alienating people and breaking promises after they already paid money for a product? How can people trust their "new" steam release when they are abandoning their "old" steam release that people already payed for? How can players of that new version trust CodeClub to not abandon them a few months down the line when they realize that steam isn't bringing them the money they wanted to see?

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

17 minutes ago, bdew said:

So you see no problem with alienating people and breaking promises after they already paid money for a product? How can people trust their "new" steam release when they are abandoning their "old" steam release that people already payed for? How can players of that new version trust CodeClub to not abandon them a few months down the line when they realize that steam isn't bringing them the money they wanted to see?

^

Not getting rifts and Challenge, that was expected as it was part of <the promise> so to speak.

And another thing to consider, CC.... WU will eventually be far behind enough to become "Wurm Classic" *hint nudge*.

On 10/11/2019 at 8:17 PM, Belrindor said:

I know ya'll are married to the subscription model and think it's the best most viable option. But really, it's what's going to keep people from coming to the game en masse. Sure, you can point to other games, such as World of Warcraft or even EVE, but both have lost tens of millions of subscribers.

Most modern gamers don't want yet ANOTHER monthly bill.

And starting out to pay for a sub, and then pay AGAIN for silver for a deed? Most simply won't do it.

Years ago when I first started playing WO, 9/10 of the newbies I'd help quit once they found out about the 'double' subscription of sub + deed.

Refusing to address this situation, and worse, pooh poohing it like the subscription model it still viable to the majority of gamers,  and that the problem doesn't exist, is what's going to bite you in the end.

If you absolutely refuse to drop the subscription model, then pick one. Either monthly sub for playing (and should be more than one character, per toon is ridiculous. We should be able to have, say, 5 or so toons on the same account with the caveat that only ONE can be logged in AT A TIME), OR a fee for deeds (silver). Most people look at both, then just ragequit. That's been my experience for years and why all my neighbors dropped off and why it's a ghost town from Clay Harbor to A Zen Moment on Pristine.

I cannot subscribe to the idea that only ONE can be logged in AT A TIME. For example, being able to heal myself with my priest, tend to my animals/farms while my main is doing something else, etc. adds productivity and fun at the same time. If you only want to run ONE toon at a time go ahead but this idea would kill WO for me at least.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 4:20 AM, Ecrir said:

I think a sub per account would be fine, though I'd propose an upgrade to how Eve does it. For example, add extra tiers to the subscription, allowing you to have additional characters logged in at the same time (which is what a lot of people with paid alts do right now, saving them the hassle of having to transfer those alts to different accounts). As for the deed, how about adding a silver per month as a reward for having premium, just like sleep powder? That covers the absolute minimum for deed upkeep (which is a pretty large deed).

That way a minimum subscription covers both, but you could choose to spend more if you want a larger deed, or more characters online at the same time.

I'm already paying for premium on 3 characters (main and two priests). Considering I don't play Eve, I have trouble following this conversation. The two priests would be useless if I didn't pay for premium on them. So technically, I'm paying for them both to be useful and to be able to login to them at the same time. I used to have my own deed but chose to move in with a friend I met in Wurm. In the end, I get everything I want and it's cheaper for me because I don't have to maintain my own deed by myself. My toons are also much more useful because I use my Fo to maintain her stables and farm (humid drizzle, wild growth, cook pizza for her and I), I use my Vyn to enchant things around the deed and what she and I need or if we want to collaborate and sell things, and I use my main to contribute to deed upkeep (if she needs me to) among other services I can provide on-deed (high-level BS, PAS, etc.) Our arrangement works quite well because it's cheaper to work together than apart (solo, maintaining each our own deeds). It cuts my costs and increases my fun basically. However, I still have to pay for premium on 3 characters if I want to be able to use all 3 to their full potential. I pay 16E per character for premium time/silver. That's my own personal choice. Anyway, we are making sure we have 1 year's worth of upkeep on the deed. That way, if either of us have health issues or something, we don't have to worry about things decaying/being lost.

Edited by Neville
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Neville said:

I cannot subscribe to the idea that only ONE can be logged in AT A TIME. For example, being able to heal myself with my priest, tend to my animals/farms while my main is doing something else, etc. adds productivity and fun at the same time. If you only want to run ONE toon at a time go ahead but this idea would kill WO for me at least.

WO is an MMO
People like you ruin the community aspect of the game and the economy by having massive amounts of alts and doing everything at the same time, not having to rely on other players

• Cat 1

On 10/12/2019 at 8:03 PM, majic said:

True but majority of people look at the graphics first before even deciding to download the game. While Wurm can look pretty to us it will still look very dated and pale compared to other games.

Another thing is that most people won't cope with 1x/1x. That's already apparent in old reviews and it's very bad for content creators.

I can imagine twitch stream of bridge building but can't imagine more than 5 people watching it.

I've seen twitch streams with more than 5 people watching what you may consider to be "boring". It's not uncommon in Wurm with people who have similar interests. However, at the same time, it's not like the game is providing constant action "like an action movie" so you can't expect your stream to be as popular as say, I don't know, maybe a Dota 2 tournament or something.

• Cat 1

On 10/12/2019 at 9:17 PM, Tenniel said:

You've created a split, WU has become a competition against WO, though a lesser competitor, at least that's the impression and feeling I get from the devs. Instead of creating a better Wurm in total, it's become a matter of projecting "WU isn't good enough and WU players aren't good enough, it's not the real thing", the "Wurm aristocracy". Well, meanwhile MineCraft has sold 100 million copies, it's one game on many platforms, no competition among the platforms, Minecrafters on Android aren't better or worse than Minecrafters on Playstation, it's just one game. How many subscriptions for how many years would it take to cover 100 million copies sold of WU do you think? Where will the Minecraft kids go when they get bored by cubes? They should go to Wurm, but they won't, because they won't find what they look for in Wurm.

From an administrative standpoint, it would be nice to be able to "scale" the game without having to worry about hardware. I guess that's why Amazon was being considered. Let someone else deal with the hardware infrastructure and focus on the game code. Steam offers potential in its own way too. Personally, I like the idea of being able to manage all my games in Steam. In fact for most of my games, they are on Steam. Adding WO to Steam is welcome from my point of view as long as it doesn't screw up certain things we like about the game now. For example, being able to use multiple toons, purchase toons from others, etc. I do agree though that I was never a fan of WU. I felt it was an unhealthy distraction from WO and that it would only take away players from WO -> WU. For me, I have no problem if the team chose to drop WU altogether and only focus on WO/Amazon/Steam infrastructure and code. Make WO a priority. I agree with that 100%. If people in WU say they can't play WO for various reasons then that to me, is not an issue of WO vs. WU, it's an issue on how best to change the minds of those playing WU to come to WO and enjoy themselves. That said, you can't please everyone. You either want to play WO or you don't. Maybe the team can find ways of fixing up WO to attract those WU players who saw certain deficiencies or things they didn't like that prevented them from coming to and/or staying in WO but that's an issue of "satisfying those players" and you shouldn't have to create a separate game (i.e., WU) just to please those players. It's too much of a burden, I think, on code & infrastructure management.

Edited by Neville
Out-of-date based on new information in separate thread.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neville said:

From an administrative standpoint, it would be nice to be able to "scale" the game without having to worry about hardware. I guess that's why Amazon was being considered. Let someone else deal with the hardware infrastructure and focus on the game code. Steam offers potential in its own way too. Personally, I like the idea of being able to manage all my games in Steam. In fact for most of my games, they are on Steam. Adding WO to Steam is welcome from my point of view as long as it doesn't screw up certain things we like about the game now. For example, being able to use multiple toons, purchase toons from others, etc. I do agree though that I was never a fan of WU. I felt it was an unhealthy distraction from WO and that it would only take away players from WO -> WU. For me, I have no problem if the team chose to drop WU altogether and only focus on WO/Amazon/Steam infrastructure and code. Make WO a priority. I agree with that 100%. If people in WU say they can't play WO for various reasons then that to me, is not an issue of WO vs. WU, it's an issue on how best to change the minds of those playing WU to come to WO and enjoy themselves. That said, you can't please everyone. You either want to play WO or you don't. Maybe the team can find ways of fixing up WO to attract those WU players who saw certain deficiencies or things they didn't like that prevented them from coming to and/or staying in WO but that's an issue of "satisfying those players" and you shouldn't have to create a separate game (i.e., WU) just to please those players. It's too much of a burden, I think, on code & infrastructure management.

That's where you're missing the point. You only see WU as another form (lesser/simpler) of WO. It isn't, it's another game entirely, based on the WO skill and crafting system. We don't have priests for example, on our server priests are removed and replaced by various types of spell casters, each type having its own set of very hard requirements to complete before becoming a spell caster, but instead the restrictions are much lower, so you don't need alts to play all kinds of priest alts, you can still have one fully playable character. The priest model is just a way for WO to squeeze more subscriptions from players, it's not needed on WU. We found it quite unrealistic with the priest restrictions, and instead looked at what would be realistic, and all real religions does have some form of restrictions, usually some form of food restrictions, such as not eating cow or pig, which isn't very interesting to mimic. So we looked at ancient polytheistic deities and picked a number of attributes, such as "goddess of love", "god of war" etc. and compiled a list of bonuses for each attribute and restricted actions matching the bonus, for example a war god has the bonus "Warrior" (added fighting skill gains and damage bonus), but being restricted to not duel ("kill or get killed, don't be a coward.") or offer peace ("war gods conquer and destroy, offering peace offends the god."). Each deity has about five attributes with bonuses and restrictions, and we have ten gods. The entire world and history is different, the economy and trading system is different, more or less everything has been rebuilt into another game; but still, the skill and crafting system remains the same, untouched.

So as you see, WO offers a static unchanging world, it's been the same system for 10+ years, and all changes are in the hands of the almighty dev team and their whims and wishes. WU offers the "unlimited" aspect, which means anything can happen, and will happen, it's all a matter of creativity and imagination. WO will never appeal to me or my peers, ever.

1 hour ago, Neville said:

I've seen twitch streams with more than 5 people watching what you may consider to be "boring". It's not uncommon in Wurm with people who have similar interests. However, at the same time, it's not like the game is providing constant action "like an action movie" so you can't expect your stream to be as popular as say, I don't know, maybe a Dota 2 tournament or something.

yay, lets stream on xana riding for 4 hours to finally find somebody who is afk!

On 10/11/2019 at 3:40 PM, Oreo said:

Dont let him troll u

But hello

Good opener, now slide into the DMs

11 hours ago, nitram20 said:

People like you ruin the community aspect of the game and the economy by having massive amounts of alts and doing everything at the same time, not having to rely on other players

Give me a good reason me running a few alts ruined not only the community aspect, but the economy.

Here's a shocking idea that I have no doubt you refused to think about: maybe those mundane tasks he's using alts for are things that people don't offer? Oh no, he's feeding his horses and tending farms using an alt. Big deal. Get over yourself.

The only thing ruining the community are the people trying to find the next boogeyman to blame issues on. Look at this thread as example enough. Veteran players? Evil. Players self sufficient after long grinds? Evil. Multiboxing? Evil.

Here's a hot thought. Maybe you people trying to find the next thing to lash out on are causing more damage than the people you're accusing.

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 10

With all this talk about WO paying for development with minimal contribution from WU. I wonder how much WO made from prems since WU came out? How much was made from WU sales since it came out?

Numbers don't have to be perfect, just rough guesses, percentages etc.

On 10/14/2019 at 7:34 PM, Ayes said:

I can see your point, but as I've been pointing out as well, the problem isn't necessarily lowered income from WU, because WU is no expense, all servers are run and paid for by other people, and for CC it's just added income. Also, WU provides a lot of modders who learn the code and they can just cherry pick the modders they want for the dev team, as such WU is an indispensable resource for Wurm, no schooling-in time, the modders will be just ready to start development. That's how it's been for a lot of years. By creating a split with WU, that constructive relationship between WO and WU will end, at the cost of WO.