Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Steam and new Product Manager

On 10/1/2019 at 12:51 PM, Idony said:

Wow, big news.

@BuddaThank you for all your time and effort. 

@SamoolCongrats! 

Skipping endless pages of nothing.

This is all that matters and I'll be here till they turn out the lights.

• Like 6
  • Cat 1

3 hours ago, Dextrome said:

I really don't see the point of playing on WO servers when there's not enough trade or pvp... I'll just stick to WU then

Good riddance then.

3 hours ago, Dextrome said:

Oh that's because you've never seen them when they were actually populated

You completely missed my point. I know, from the server statistics, that there once were up to 3 times more players. That is history. The WO I experienced and I am happy with has less players. Some more won't hurt, sure.

1 hour ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

New players add excitement to a game just by being there, a sense of the game world being alive and dynamic, the worldscape changing every day, and they encourage yet more players to join into the game.  They give veteran players a feeling of purpose -- someone to teach the ropes, lend a hand, explain a game mechanic.

Great post Brash (the whole thing) and oh so true.

1 hour ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Someone even to laugh at, with the same goodwill that you might laugh at a puppy tripping over its own ears.

Yes! We need new puppies to play with! (and pull their ears a bit too, gently though).

=Ayes=

Wurm is not expensive if you consider how many people drink, take drugs, go out to bars/clubs or other forms of entertainment over the course of one year.

Times & Coins In 1 (One Account + Deed):

• 1 month premium time and 1 silver coin (ingame) = 120EUR/year and 12s
  • 1 month premium time and 5 silver coins (ingame) = 192EUR/year and 60s
  • 1 deed that costs 5 silver upkeep (ingame) = 60EUR/year

Total in EUR (1 month premium + 1s into bank + 5s deed upkeep): €180.00 (€15.00/month in entertainment)

Total in AUD (1 month premium + 1s into bank + 5s deed upkeep): $292.90 ($24.41/month in entertainment)

Total in CAD (1 month premium + 1s into bank + 5s deed upkeep): $263.30 ($21.94/month in entertainment)

Total in USD (1 month premium + 1s into bank + 5s deed upkeep): $197.62 ($16.47/month in entertainment)

Total in EUR (1 month premium + 5s into bank + 5s deed upkeep): €252.00 (€21.00/month in entertainment)

Total in AUD (1 month premium + 5s into bank + 5s deed upkeep): $410.05 ($34.17/month in entertainment)

Total in CAD (1 month premium + 5s into bank + 5s deed upkeep): $368.68 ($30.72/month in entertainment)

Total in USD (1 month premium + 5s into bank + 5s deed upkeep): $276.71 ($23.06/month in entertainment)

Can you include that in your entertainment budget? If you can't then you can always sell items ingame to eliminate or at least reduce the overall cost. If you do 1 month premium time and 5 silver coins (ingame) every month, you can always apply the 60s at the end of each year to pay for a year's worth of deed upkeep in advance. Keep in mind, this does not assume multiple accounts, multiple deeds, or deeds that cost less or more than 5s upkeep. It's meant to show the basics; one account + 1 deed for a year in some common currencies.

Edited by Neville
  • Like 3

-Climbs up on her soapbox and gently leans on Neville- Oh No I Got this Bro

The Game is only Freaking as expensive as you make it. I have only spent REAL $ in this game one time and it was last Christmas as a CHRISTMAS present to myself and that was so I didn't have to Botanize / Forage or WORK for my Premium for the month.

You Can Enjoy this game by Free to Play if you attempt to. I have JUST BARELY hit my 1 year mark. and in a year i have spent less that $50USD

I have only went maybe 2 days if that without Premium and it was because I wasn't playing those 2 days because I was out of town.

There are people who Will Pay For SERVICES Such as:

- Enchanting Grass

- Priests services like casting

- Smithy Services

- Masonry= Make Bricks...... I'd suggest Slate.. Marble or just Stone bricks

Pottery Bricks...(few buy these)

Mortar <- OMG there ya go can't build a brick building without those

Clay......... Go Dig you got a Freaking Shovel Right??

PLANKS and SHAFTS <- YES People BUY THESE

1k of Nails? Who cares about Quality? of freaking nails as long as it not like 1 QL 

Stop being Whiny Crybabies who just want everything handed to you... Find your Niche in the game or go play freaking something like Bubblepop or Farmville... We can understand if you dont' have the maturity to play a challenging game. 

I have SERIOUSLY known FREE TO PLAY players who have Worked their butts off to enjoy the game and SUPPORT themselve Relief and Put food on the table for their family because $20 USD = 3 Months of FOOD for 2 people where they live! Get OVER YOURSELF and Not being handed everything on a silver platter..

BTW There are VILLAGES who will let you Live in their Village just to have other people to Have fun and talk to 

There are people who will hire farmers to rake and plant so they can just harvest

There are people who will hire you to build....... JUST USE your imagiination

There is a Nche Find it

Edited by Xvbabyvx
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Neville said:

Wurm is not expensive if you consider how many people drink, take drugs, go out to bars/clubs or other forms of entertainment over the course of one year.

haha that made me laugh, don't drink play wurm

And don't drink and play wurm, you wind up naked on deed with no recollection of where you are, your favourite horse is a corpse and you find your corpse on another serve#umwronline 

• Like 7
  • Cat 1

On 10/7/2019 at 12:02 PM, Retrograde said:

And don't drink and play wurm, you wind up naked on deed with no recollection of where you are, your favourite horse is a corpse and you find your corpse on another serve#umwronline 

Well that sounded a bit too specific :D

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SweetSusie said:

@SamoolCongrats!

@BuddaThanks for your hard work!

My friend Oreo told me to tell you "Hi"

Yes thank you Budda. I've seen the improvements for almost a decade. They have been outstanding. The game has grown in depth and feel, some small some huge. Good job. I will personally miss the work you've done.

Who ever follows has big shoes to fill.

3 hours ago, Olloch said:

My friend Oreo told me to tell you "Hi"

Lol.. he is too shy to tell me “hi” himself? XD

18 hours ago, SweetSusie said:

@Oreo

• Cat 1

19 hours ago, SweetSusie said:

Nvm he is too shy, False alarm

25 minutes ago, Olloch said:

Nvm he is too shy, False alarm

Lol! Well I love cookies but i wont bite 😋

Tell him “hi” back 

Edited by SweetSusie
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 10:54 AM, LumpyGravy said:

if you think freedom of speech exists in america your wrong, try saying in a public forum your gonna shoot up walmart

I am very excited about this news, I been saying for years WO needed a Steam Client

I do believe that morons exist everywhere...

On 10/2/2019 at 4:15 PM, Fairyshine said:

@rolf @retrograde Thanks for keeping the playerbase in the loop about possible future developments.  I played Wurm Online for many years.  I am wondering if you can please let us know whether our current deeds and skillsets will be merged with the Steam plans or will we have to start from scratch?  Will we retain what we have now, e.g. armor, tools, deeds, and previous unique presents or will we lose it all to have to start again? What is the timeframe for all of this to happen (if at all)?  If it does not happen, what is the future plans for current Wurm Online servers?  These are important questions for quite a few of the current playerbase and it would be great if we could get some answers. 

Thanks

@Fairyshine you are like a breath of beautiful morning air in the toxicity of our discussions, I second your comment and would like to know as well.. and hear hear for bringing up something that actually matters, and not the usual moronic bickering we are used to (if you are offended its because its true)..  and thanks again..

@ROLF thanks for showing up for the Wurm show and we sorrowfully missed you and we are sorry we lost some faith.. will you forgive us.. I will follow you to the end.. this game has provided me with so much fun and enjoyment and misery it truely is just like life.. luv ya Rolf!!!

@Budda You will be missed and great job and you had a very hard job to do.. cheers!! I hope you stick around a play still!!!

@Samool Good luck, congratz..

@Retrograde That picture on your profile is very unbecoming, unbusinesslike and if you don't know it i feel sorry, sorry just my opinion.. otherwise good job...

Bring on the sharks, its Wurm season...

On 10/5/2019 at 5:14 AM, Mowglia said:

It would mean toons left if their owners left; isn't that a good thing? Account sales are about as p2w as you can get.

On the other hand it would mean all players had to grind their own toons, which might be a bit too much to expect, lol.

I don't know many games allow account sales. I figured a lot of people in Wurm Online would be upset. An assumption my part but who knows maybe I'm wrong.

On 10/5/2019 at 8:17 AM, Mordraug said:

I strongly beg to differ.  I've seen and been part of the following scenario:

An alliance of new players coalesces (previously friends, coincidence, mix of both, your pick).  They all start leveling skills, but seeing the amount of grind involved, they each pick their main role.  One's working heavily on smithing, one's doing carpentry, one's farming up a storm, one's putting tons of effort into an AH setup.  Even better, they got a Fo priest who'll eventually have Genesis to help speed up the stablemaster's breeding program. The smith may or may not be doing his own mining, the carpenter will need to cut wood or find a woodcutter.

They eventually start reaching goals.  The carpenter and the smith are pumping out Q40!!! tools!  One of them travelled all the way across the server (Gasp!  Servers feel yuge when you still get easily lost) and met a decent weaponsmith who promises to improve their sharp sticks into something that can kill.  The cooks will soon have meat! 

Then they meet this new newbie, Bob, and give the guy an invite as Bob lives nearby and happens to be pretty cool.  Bob, being cool and all, is also a bit impatient AND would like to help his buddies.  Bob has lots of disposable income and starts buying accounts.  Within a week he can crank out q90 tools, weapons, armors, crops, wood, ores, 5spd horses, ships, vehicles, and all sorts of furniture.

Bob's alliance now has all the bling they could ever need.  They offered to pay Bob but he would have none of it.  Now the smith is just some dude with a forge, the carpenter is just some dude with a mallet, the AH guy just needs to grind a bit more and redo his pens.  The Fo priest will have to wait for the next rift to have something to cast on (injured people).  Alliance members start to recede into their own deeds to just work on their stuff as they no longer need to be covering skill gaps in the alliance to help each other out.  The alliance has become a chatroom.

Bob's a great guy, they're all still friends, but the concept of a "community project" has flown out the window, and the "village" is now just an area full of telepathically-linked hermits.

By the way, the smith had figured he could make some coin after he hit q50 by selling cheap tools to other nearby newbies as there were no nearby veterans.  The whole market is gone as Bob, having spent all that money on veteran accounts, feels that it would be a waste to not share their skills with every newbie that passes.  The smith is now mostly playing Eve.

(FYI I was the carpenter and the smith.  After we got our Bob I became quite the hunter and wanderer, basically a mobile hermit.  And while my account eventually did get to stand up to Bob's collection, 99% of the time it worked in my own benefit.  The other 1% was when I stumbled on some lowbie's deed and caught them struggling with something I could assist with).

Valid points. As my reply to the previous person it was an assumption on my part that many people would be upset. Perhaps I'm wrong. Nonetheless, it's been allowed for so long who knows what the effects would be of taking it away now. Not sure.

On 10/7/2019 at 6:44 AM, Sklo:D said:

haha that made me laugh, don't drink play wurm

Lol. I never said don't drink. I just was making a point that Wurm Online is yet another form of entertainment. I don't mind spending money on it like other forms of entertainment.

I want to say I sit here and say to myself that I could care less what Wurm does on Steam but I am concerned that eventually we will stop getting patches and updates because maintaining 3 sets of Wurm is too much and Steam is the priority. Perhaps we will be told we have to merge over or even worse leave our homes behind if we want to continue to play. Yes they have stated they would keep the servers up but fact remains that could change in time. For all we know this could be the plan anyway slowly shutting us out until we have to switch.

Yes I am probably jaded but real life has shown me this "Tell people what they want to hear and then do what we planned to do all along but slowly" scenario many times over the years.

Why would I resist playing Wurm on Steam you might ask? I cant  see Wurm holding the interest of people drawn in from Steam unless skill gain was adjusted stupidly high and imping was made damn near instant and even then its probably not enough. I cant count how many games I have played where crafting was damn near instant and material gathering was almost a joke and still people complained it was too hard. That is the kind of Wurm I don't want to play or else I would already be playing WU and not paying a monthly fee.

Perhaps I worry over nothing. Time will tell.

• Like 3

For now main income from WO is freedom cluster, part that's interesting is.. what amount of the silver that is paid for upkeep and premiums is actual real money bought from the shop being prem time or silver to pay upkeep.. that keeps the "show" going...

While these money cover the cost for servers, which shouldn't be that high, but there's staff etc that costs money also, all that adds up to another border.. again.. as long the real money cover the amount needed to keep things afloat, it makes no sense to kill the business, improving the profits is the next step.

What currently happens is.. everybody tries to kill all sorts of items or silver.. to be on the safe side if the worst happens, I chose to bid on the positive outcome.. steam servers filling up fast, bunch of premiums, meeting the quota, maybe staying there for 2-3months and merging the servers.. expanding or creating new 'gate' server to fish new players there before another merge, issue with this... every time adds up another 2 new servers to the cluster(hmm)

Maybe makes more sense to do it once or twice than just let any new players to join any of the existing servers from the start to keep things 'balanced'(player still gets to pick server and could hit xana or newest server with higher pop for trading reasons mainly)

Typical wurmian wants more land to explore and kill stuff, etc.. rather than be packed with 20 other people in local everybody being in the other's business with building/terraforming/deeding/etc.

On 10/9/2019 at 12:51 PM, SweetSusie said:

Dont let him troll u

But hello

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

For now main income from WO is freedom cluster, part that's interesting is.. what amount of the silver that is paid for upkeep and premiums is actual real money bought from the shop being prem time or silver to pay upkeep.. that keeps the "show" going...

Yeah, that's what the WO player base are telling themselves, that they are keeping the game afloat. I disagree, I think the WO player base are suffocating the game by being a heavy weight, uninviting to new players. How can a few hundred players paying for premium and some silver compare even the least to a player base of millions? The heavy premium and silver model is not attracting new players, why would new players go into that?

To make an old game keep up with the times, you need to see that it's the large player base that makes the game float, and the only way of getting there that is to make it attractive to new players. WU has that potential, it could attract a huge player base, but why would new players join a game that's halfhearted at best, it never was a sincere release, and everyone knows it. By making WU a complete game, and making it possible to unlock the potential for modders and server hosts to extend the game as far as they can imagine, it would attract unlimited amounts of players, because each player could find the perfect server for their taste. As it is, WU is but a pale shadow, designed to be a demo, meant to attract players to start on WO, but that will never happen.

• Like 1

I know ya'll are married to the subscription model and think it's the best most viable option. But really, it's what's going to keep people from coming to the game en masse. Sure, you can point to other games, such as World of Warcraft or even EVE, but both have lost tens of millions of subscribers.

Most modern gamers don't want yet ANOTHER monthly bill.

And starting out to pay for a sub, and then pay AGAIN for silver for a deed? Most simply won't do it.

Years ago when I first started playing WO, 9/10 of the newbies I'd help quit once they found out about the 'double' subscription of sub + deed.

Refusing to address this situation, and worse, pooh poohing it like the subscription model it still viable to the majority of gamers,  and that the problem doesn't exist, is what's going to bite you in the end.

If you absolutely refuse to drop the subscription model, then pick one. Either monthly sub for playing (and should be more than one character, per toon is ridiculous. We should be able to have, say, 5 or so toons on the same account with the caveat that only ONE can be logged in AT A TIME), OR a fee for deeds (silver). Most people look at both, then just ragequit. That's been my experience for years and why all my neighbors dropped off and why it's a ghost town from Clay Harbor to A Zen Moment on Pristine.

• Like 3