Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Steam and new Product Manager

3 minutes ago, Canis said:

I am glad this game is too cheap for you and all of your financial accomplishment . Still, don't think majority will relate to this or some of the similar personal stories above this topic. Average joe who doesn't have 24/7 to spend in this game most like won't fund your steam game collection buy paying you 100's of silvers for tunneling. Anymore.

They will once the new server starts or someone wants a deed project done it still happens just 2 months ago i did a project that took about a month to do for someone so ya still happening sure not as often as back then but its still a thing and ya not everyone is looking for a job in a field overflowing with people in a country where people still believe that "laptop" is evil and macbook is good even when the difference is shown >.>

And like i said even if i was to just take in account my 2 accounts and a deed it comes down to 14.64 usd a month if you buy prem once a year for both accounts so again still as cheap

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shrimpiie said:

Yeah, because converting Euro to AUD comes out to about $12AUD/month, and as has been stated numerous times, having more than 1 premium account is purely a personal decision and not in any way a requirement.

And you can add a dollar or two(roughly) onto that price for the deed upkeep that is at its lowest upkeep of 1s.

So now we are in the ~$14AUD per month, anything more isn't on the fault of the game.

As stated numerous times having to pay even 1 premium is purely a personal decision and not in any way a requirement. According to your logic.

real life is really cheap if you live on beans chicken potatoes bread and rice, all you people and your steak are just wasting money thats not how we're supposed to live

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Shrimpiie said:

So now we are in the ~$14AUD per month, anything more isn't on the fault of the game.

Just add  am not blaming the game.. If premium came with a minimum size deed  it would be great. The fact that you pay twice <skill cap + deed> is just outdated and needs a rethink.

So, what does this mean for WU if WO moves to steam ? 

People in WU community think WO updates won't get pushed to us anymore? Can someone dispel / approve these rumors ? 

48 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

real life is really cheap if you live on beans chicken potatoes bread and rice, all you people and your steak are just wasting money thats not how we're supposed to live

No, it is not. Even then, apartment rent or house mortgage eat you up, not to speak about family. You could starve to a skeleton, it will still eat you up.

In Wurm, on contrast, as a non casual player, I earn 5c to >1s daily by my 20-30 minutes forage/botanize grind alone. I recall you mentioned that you earn some silvers a day by your hunting (something I am not doing equally intensely, and at way lesser skill so slower). Not to mention casual selling of stuff on the allegedly "dead" market. In fact, my bank account is growing, some extra expenses (LMC for example) notwithstanding.

It is well possible to play on 80€/year (72USD ca.), and pay nothing for a deed with 3s upkeep outside ingame silver circulation. One may start with a squatter installation (house plus walled pens and fields), deed once there is enough silver, and extend later if one is so short on cash. In real life, you start independent life with lodging or even shared room in dorm (at least students in China start that way) before you get more. 

In summary, Wurm allows to be played, intensely played, at very low cost. Of course lots more may be spent. That is nothing said about whether the subscription model should be maintained forever.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum and correction
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, WittleBunnBun said:

So, what does this mean for WU if WO moves to steam ? 

People in WU community think WO updates won't get pushed to us anymore? Can someone dispel / approve these rumors ? 

Only staff could answer that.. but I'd guess with the 1 or 2 missing patches/content/ from WU that some changes are left ?exclusive? to gaben/WO releases?

(could be just delay to make it exclusive or lack of time to release it everywhere with all the current workload, probably best to ask WU questions in it's section on the forums, will be easier for others to find it, etc)

Doesn't really matter if it's not something you really really wanted to WU, other thing... WU have it's own 'air' to breathe with the mods, most of the small changes are server config change or cost a modder's afternoon ?maybe?

Edited by Finnn

For a monthly subscription game Wurm is pretty cheap. If you buy premium in 12 month chunks then its 6.66 euro a month for premium, which is cheaper than most other subscription based games. Say you sell your your sleep powder then you can afford the minimum deed upkeep for a few years, perhaps only requiring an extra 10 silver injection every year or two. Let's assume 1 per year. Then we're at 8 euro per month, with silver left to spare every year.

So that's comparable to Netflix (Basic) and slightly more expensive than Disney+ and Amazon Prime. Seems like a pretty good spot to be at price wise.

Now if you want to go slightly higher on the expenses then you could throw in a second account, at that point you no longer need the 10 silver injection as your silver income from sleep powder is sufficient to cover the deed upkeep, so we end up at 13.32 euro per month, which still puts us below the highest Netflix tier in terms of cost.

Seems perfectly fine to me pricing wise. Even with a single account you might not need to buy silver at all if you can find somebody to sell your sleep powder to at 1s each, and if you can trade your referall for silver. Then you can use that to set up your deed and to pay for its monthly upkeep.

And this completely ignores that you can get money from hunting and foraging as well.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Neville said:

I very much disagree with account sales being prohibited. It would destroy the entire community. PERIOD.

It would mean toons left if their owners left; isn't that a good thing? Account sales are about as p2w as you can get.

On the other hand it would mean all players had to grind their own toons, which might be a bit too much to expect, lol.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ekcin said:

My complaints rather are about the failure to thoroughly use and evaluatae Elevation3, especially by those who had most loudly complained that the devs weren't doing anything for PvP.  As I always planned to join PvP at some point at least on Epic, I hope for a future of PvP on Wurm. But those loud campaigners were an utter failure and deeply disappointed me.

I wasn't referring to you specifically, it was just a general observation.

And you're right, all those players screaming about wanting this or that on Elevation; where are they now? Just...gone. It's pathetic really.

I hope we learn that those who shout the loudest tend to contribute the least and bail the fastest.

I'm having more fun on Epic now than I ever had. I do miss some particular players that are no longer active, but there's nothing anyone can do about that.

• Like 1

While I do agree that the price needs to be dropped just a bit, I don't understand the argument of having multiple accounts. Unless you are a master of multitasking, how can you train multiple accounts at a time? You might as well just train the same one, Unless you bought your accounts, in which case that's another discussion.

17 minutes ago, MinorArchitect said:

While I do agree that the price needs to be dropped just a bit, I don't understand the argument of having multiple accounts. Unless you are a master of multitasking, how can you train multiple accounts at a time? You might as well just train the same one, Unless you bought your accounts, in which case that's another discussion.

queue 5-9 actions on 1 account go back to farmer to queue up the next 6-9 tiles to be tended jump to priest to click a keybind to cast a spell jump back to the first one queue up more actions rinse repeat on and on

Early game ya nope but once you can queue up 5+ actions it becomes easier and easier depending on the task

It's a good thing that we can have so many different playstyles in Wurm.

I can picture myself playing just one toon.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MinorArchitect said:

It's actually necessary for me, especially on a quiet server. I use the main for building, imping, etc. But on an older server you're going to have serious problems with mines if you haven't got Strongwall/Disintegrate. It actually works out cheaper (and more fun) to run a priest for this rather than pay 5s per Shaker Orb. That adds up real fast. Then I need a Vyn priest to enchant tools and weapons. Then for a selection of other useful stuff (weapons, heals, animals) I use a Fo priest. It's basic QoL. And I still can't do everything I'd like.

I don't really train priests outside faith/channeling/vehicles, although they learn to fight, mostly just to protect themselves. And yup, all four are getting trained simultaneously. Alt-tab :P

When I say necessary, I mean in the sense of necessary for me to fully enjoy the game and do the things I want. If I only had one toon with no priests, stuck on a mini-deed, I would have very little interest in playing Wurm.

I do sympathise with players on a budget, or noobs trying to get a leg up, which is why (time-permitting) all their services are free to the locals.

Prices are ok in general, but OMG, the cost of Templars?! :blink:

I totally agree on the cost of templars, even on pve servers.

20 hours ago, Neville said:

I very much disagree with account sales being prohibited. It would destroy the entire community. PERIOD.

I strongly beg to differ.  I've seen and been part of the following scenario:

An alliance of new players coalesces (previously friends, coincidence, mix of both, your pick).  They all start leveling skills, but seeing the amount of grind involved, they each pick their main role.  One's working heavily on smithing, one's doing carpentry, one's farming up a storm, one's putting tons of effort into an AH setup.  Even better, they got a Fo priest who'll eventually have Genesis to help speed up the stablemaster's breeding program. The smith may or may not be doing his own mining, the carpenter will need to cut wood or find a woodcutter.

They eventually start reaching goals.  The carpenter and the smith are pumping out Q40!!! tools!  One of them travelled all the way across the server (Gasp!  Servers feel yuge when you still get easily lost) and met a decent weaponsmith who promises to improve their sharp sticks into something that can kill.  The cooks will soon have meat! 

Then they meet this new newbie, Bob, and give the guy an invite as Bob lives nearby and happens to be pretty cool.  Bob, being cool and all, is also a bit impatient AND would like to help his buddies.  Bob has lots of disposable income and starts buying accounts.  Within a week he can crank out q90 tools, weapons, armors, crops, wood, ores, 5spd horses, ships, vehicles, and all sorts of furniture.

Bob's alliance now has all the bling they could ever need.  They offered to pay Bob but he would have none of it.  Now the smith is just some dude with a forge, the carpenter is just some dude with a mallet, the AH guy just needs to grind a bit more and redo his pens.  The Fo priest will have to wait for the next rift to have something to cast on (injured people).  Alliance members start to recede into their own deeds to just work on their stuff as they no longer need to be covering skill gaps in the alliance to help each other out.  The alliance has become a chatroom.

Bob's a great guy, they're all still friends, but the concept of a "community project" has flown out the window, and the "village" is now just an area full of telepathically-linked hermits.

By the way, the smith had figured he could make some coin after he hit q50 by selling cheap tools to other nearby newbies as there were no nearby veterans.  The whole market is gone as Bob, having spent all that money on veteran accounts, feels that it would be a waste to not share their skills with every newbie that passes.  The smith is now mostly playing Eve.

(FYI I was the carpenter and the smith.  After we got our Bob I became quite the hunter and wanderer, basically a mobile hermit.  And while my account eventually did get to stand up to Bob's collection, 99% of the time it worked in my own benefit.  The other 1% was when I stumbled on some lowbie's deed and caught them struggling with something I could assist with).

• Like 9

I agree to what you are saying about the downsides of account trafficking. I could even add experiences with a toxic casual player who could not even wreaked a fraction of his havoc without his purchased accounts, he even admitted that he lacked the time for skill grind. So far the bad sides.

On the other hand: What you are telling about the midrange tool, enchant, and service market, would not go away without purchased accounts. There would always be enough experienced players who earned their skills just by honest own grind. Even noobs like me get to the 90 skills relatively fast, feel free to check my character at Niarja.

And: There is account transfer everywhere, not only on Wurm, be it prohibited or not. Only, where it is prohibited, there is policing, surveillance, punishment, which always creates discontent, and not seldom may even hit the innocent. And black markets are attracting every other form of cybercrime.

I fail to see a good and perfect solution, either the one nor the other way round.

5 hours ago, Mowglia said:

It would mean toons left if their owners left; isn't that a good thing? Account sales are about as p2w as you can get.

On the other hand it would mean all players had to grind their own toons, which might be a bit too much to expect, lol.

You can buy pretty much everything with silvers, which can be bought for real money. So if you didn't make your own bricks and mortar, and didn't casted your own weapons and imp it to 90+ then you pay to win, dude

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

Yeah, because converting Euro to AUD comes out to about $12AUD/month, and as has been stated numerous times, having more than 1 premium account is purely a personal decision and not in any way a requirement.

And you can add a dollar or two(roughly) onto that price for the deed upkeep that is at its lowest upkeep of 1s.

I have a island that runs me 2s upkeep, but to play the game completely, I have to perm 2/characters min. with all the restrictions you guys placed on priests (marketing move btw) you can not get to far without having two characters regardless of what breakdown you are trying to display. This game is ridiculously expensive. Like the OP said, if I pay for Prems on my acct it should be for all my characters associated with that email; but instead Wurm is charging for each character which is kinda a rip off and again that is ONE of the reasons why its a dying game.

Do a poll on Steam and see your results..

You can argue with me back and forth about what is expensive and what is not, but ultimately its up to me decide what is expensive. And as for @wipeout stating you spent 4k on a game and you really don't think that is expensive ?? you proved my point. I would never of posted that and I do hope that you are exaggerating.. there are some type of AAA groups for you.

Edited by Ismira

1 hour ago, Canis said:

You can buy pretty much everything with silvers, which can be bought for real money. So if you didn't make your own bricks and mortar, and didn't casted your own weapons and imp it to 90+ then you pay to win, dude

I do make my own bricks and mortar, and do cast cast my own tools, armour and weapons, and I imp them all too. I breed, make ships, cook, make compasses, you name it. That's the fun in playing Wurm for me, being self-sufficient. So while I agree with what you said, don't even think about trying to put that on me.

Maybe buying stuff that other players made like bricks and mortar is a bit different to buying an account. Then again, maybe not.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

That was a cheap shot with no ground to stand on, because far as I am aware, I am also a player of this game, and I as well put quite a lot of money into it so I would hope that affords me the privilege of posting in regards to Wurm and its pricing.

Paying for an extra account is indeed, just simply fluff, as with a single premium account you get access to the entire game. Paying for a deed larger than the 1s/month minimum upkeep is indeed, just fluff. Both situations are adding no additional content that is unavailable to someone not putting into a premium account and a deed.

How is that a cheap shot?  it's true and you know it. paying for an extra acct is just fluff really? if you want to play wurm to its fullest how is it just fluff. You really need to STOP with this captain american ###### defending something that does not need to be defended seriously its annoying.

Yes to your comment of 1s/mo for upkeep that is true you can do that and you can also have just one character. But let us be honest you will get NOWHERE in this game with your breakdown. 

So pardon my next words.

dude really go somewhere with all that none-sense..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I am a far from casual player with one deed costing 4s a month and one account. If I need priests I pay for it but that's my own choice. If a player wishes to own everything and be everything solo that's fine, but it's far from expected play nor is it the cost a new player would be looking at. 

It's like saying you HAVE to buy every cosmetic item from a cash shop to play a game to it's fullest

I am also apparently "casual". I have one deed (3s and a bit), one premium character, and a priest I sub for impalongs and if I randomly feel like working on my mine for a bit. It's 16-18 USD for two months-the cost of two months of Netflix or one not-fancy meal here and almost half the cost of most other subscription games. No paid expansions, no cash purchase only items, no required "labor potions" or anything annoying like that. I've purchased silver a few times in the 5 1/2 years I've been playing. I've lucked out with sales a few times, but mostly foraging, botanizing, and small sales pay my bills. 

Am I a super grinder, everything 90+ toon? No, but I have fun. It's not here to pay my bills. I think the pressure people put on this game and themselves is probably too much if it causes this much anxiety. (I do understand if your country's currency makes one character on Wurm a bit expensive, but most of the people complaining here do not have this situation.) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mordraug said:

I strongly beg to differ.  I've seen and been part of the following scenario:

Those cases do suck, but they don't really have much to do with account trading. It can just as easily happen by a veteran player moving in and doing exactly that. The actual problem in your situation is that people had their own roles which they were trying to excel in, and then a new guy came in and started doing his own thing without taking into account the roles of the other players. He made the efforts of the other players mostly irrelevant due to his higher skills. Likely he's a great guy as you said and was just trying to help people, while being totally oblivious to the actual damage that he was doing that way.

I see stuff like that happening in tabletop rpgs (Dungeons and Dragons, etc) every now and then as well.

Besides that I do dislike account trading and removing it sounds like a good idea to me, though I doubt it will happen due to how negatively it would be received by part of the already small player base.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ismira said:

I have a island that runs me 2s upkeep, but to play the game completely, I have to perm 2/characters min. with all the restrictions you guys placed on priests (marketing move btw) you can not get to far without having two characters regardless of what breakdown you are trying to display. This game is ridiculously expensive. Like the OP said, if I pay for Prems on my acct it should be for all my characters associated with that email; but instead Wurm is charging for each character which is kinda a rip off and again that is ONE of the reasons why its a dying game.

Do a poll on Steam and see your results..

You can argue with me back and forth about what is expensive and what is not, but ultimately its up to me decide what is expensive. And as for @wipeout stating you spent 4k on a game and you really don't think that is expensive ?? you proved my point. I would never of posted that and I do hope that you are exaggerating.. there are some type of AAA groups for you.

Even based on your information here, the game would run you 18e/month which comes out to $19.76, or just about $20/month. With 2 accounts and your 2s/month deed, you don't come anywhere close to your "$40"; it is HALF of that.

46 minutes ago, Ismira said:

How is that a cheap shot?  it's true and you know it. paying for an extra acct is just fluff really? if you want to play wurm to its fullest how is it just fluff. You really need to STOP with this captain american ###### defending something that does not need to be defended seriously its annoying.

Yes to your comment of 1s/mo for upkeep that is true you can do that and you can also have just one character. But let us be honest you will get NOWHERE in this game with your breakdown. 

So pardon my next words.

dude really go somewhere with all that none-sense..

It was a cheap shot in the sense that I don't get to have an opinion as I am not a player according to him, which is untrue as I am a player as well, that happens dedicates a bit of extra time to help support the game in a staff capacity.

There is no "Captain America" ###### here, it is simply calling out your theory that you NEED to pay $40 a month in order to play Wurm as factually broken.

Yes, despite you not liking to hear it, having more than 1 account is just fluff, and is a personal decision and not a requirement. And yes honestly, a single account and a deed can get you everywhere.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

you are lucky, lets take some of WSC (venezuela), 10 dollars are around 190k bolivars, monthly salary is about 40k bs...

damn, now im feel bad making more money on wurm that those people in a month

Edited by tamat