Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Steam and new Product Manager

2 hours ago, Mowglia said:

Sure there is. We're small, but we're here. And we're staying :P

I wish you are right, and wish you all the best in this case.

2 hours ago, Mowglia said:

The irony is that if all the players complaining that PvP is dead were actually doing PvP instead of complaining that PvP is dead, they'd have nothing to complain about :rolleyes:

My complaints rather are about the failure to thoroughly use and evaluatae Elevation3, especially by those who had most loudly complained that the devs weren't doing anything for PvP.  As I always planned to join PvP at some point at least on Epic, I hope for a future of PvP on Wurm. But those loud campaigners were an utter failure and deeply disappointed me.

3 hours ago, Ekcin said:

The irony is that if all the players complaining that PvP is dead were actually doing PvP instead of complaining that PvP is dead, they'd have nothing to complain about :rolleyes:

As I always planned to join PvP at some point at least on Epic, I hope for a future of PvP on Wurm. But those loud campaigners were an utter failure and deeply disappointed me.

(You're kind of saying "no, I'm not saying x, I'm actually saying x." Possibly elaborate?)

Maybe... you're just perpetuating the problem with that mentality.If you just popped over to Epic today with some friends, there would be a larger PvP community. Bugs and imbalances aside, PvP's fun enough as it is, when you play it like the game it is. If everyone just jumped in, I think that that would be a really good thing, because then all the people who are saying that there is no PvP will actually be contributing to its existence.

Edited by MinorArchitect
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Just different, we intend on them being the same game, this isn't a spin off like Wu was 

I wish i could simple just take your word for it, how things are being handled constantly, it gives huge uncertainty of what future holds for us players and is it even worth investing time to ogwo anymore. 

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

On 10/2/2019 at 10:28 PM, MinorArchitect said:

And if some OG players want to go start fresh on Steam, then they can do that too without having to make a new account.

See:

On 9/23/2019 at 10:39 AM, Rolf said:

The account databases will most probably be the same so you can't register MrJonnyboy on Steam if the account is created already. So if MrJonnyboy is premium on existing servers you can't play him on the Steam servers since the account already exists. If you create MrJonnyboyTwo via Steam you can prem him up via Steam. You will probably be able to prem him up via our website as well but we'll have to sort that out carefully due to Valve's RMT restrictions. 

I would like some clarification here:

1) The Steam "Account Name" is what is used to login to steam and it's associated with a "Contact Email" that should match the email address for the player account in Wurm Online.

2) Logging into Steam then allows me to download Wurm Online for free.

3) I should then be able to use the Wurm Launcher to create a new character (or the website but I think it's redundant and this process could be brought directly into the launcher).

4) Once my new character has been created under the email address for the player account that matches the "Contact Email" in Steam, I'm ready to launch the game and start playing.

I see NO REASON why Steam has to be used for character registration/creation whatsoever. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Furthermore, the fact that characters can be bought/sold for EU by players to other players is highly desirable and we wouldn't want to lose the ability to do that due to some Steam contractual obligations/restrictions. After all, STO allows you to buy items in the game and still allows players to auction entire accounts. Why? Because they manage the accounts/players, not Steam. So what I'm saying is MrJonnyboyTwo should not be created via Steam at all. It should be handled by the Wurm database. The only thing Steam is there for is to market the game, allow people to download it, allow people to buy premium and silver through Steam and have that applied to their characters in the Wurm database linked through their Account Name/Contact Email (in Steam) and their email address/player account (in Wurm).

P.S. In my opnion, this game was never built to be a PVP game of the caliber that everyone expects it to be and frankly, it would take too much work to get it to a point where everyone would be happy. However, I feel Wurm Online is best suited at PVE and it does this very well. If it were me, I'd scrap the PVP component altogether and invest more in making PVE even funner. But that's just me. Why? I don't care about PVP at all. In any case, since PVP does not affect me whatsoever, I could care less about anything to do with PVP in Wurm Online and I just think it's a waste of time. It breeds bans, hatred, pain points for the development team, etc. and it takes away from them working on PVE that I care about. Take it or leave it. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I don't want to hear any replies to my opinion here either. I will not reply. I'm not getting into a forum discussion about PVP because I don't care.

Edited by Neville
Considered irrelevant given current information/updates in another thread.
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 1:46 PM, Themystrix said:

Good question, i would like the account sales to be prohibited.

Why?

8 minutes ago, Ismira said:

Why?

I very much disagree with account sales being prohibited. It would destroy the entire community. PERIOD.

After reading though all this posts and even going back and re-reading some post to compare to another post, it seems that there is some misconceptions about what is being considered to be done.

WO will remain is it is, chugging along with  it's handful of dedicated old school GV players and other more dedicated under 7 yrs players. With no plans to change or remove any servers.

While StWO will be a testing the waters thing for the new bosses to see what kind of market there might be with more widened advertising and some moderate changes to this version.

One thing that would greatly enhance the StWO game would be live map and that's plus for helping attract new players since almost, if not all, MMO's now days have in game actual location maps.

Another would be portals to other parts of the island to make it easier for new players to move to fresher grounds instead of having to skill up fighting right off the bat to 20 to survive a trip to find a home.

These could be one way portals to each corner of the island with just one trader there and a spawn, that's it. You could teleport with what you can carry.

This also would remove the need to have a bunch of starter towns that no one really even uses but for the trader and spawn point.

And as several have pointed out, knowledge of game and how it works will make many vets that go there kings overnight. So could see limiting number of alts allowed being a way to level the playing field.

Even with multi-computers running separate accts it would be a minimal thing cause only a handful could do this efficiently or would waste the time and money setting it all up.

Now back to the ogWO, if this test of stWO is deemed successful by the new bosses, they may elect to shutdown some if not all the ogWO servers in favor of expanding on the stWO servers since it's options to make money is better than the old style.

Grant you I can see a cash shop and perks being the only way to do that. Like traders selling affinity orbs, golden mirrors, etc.

40 minutes ago, Talohan said:

And as several have pointed out, knowledge of game and how it works will make many vets that go there kings overnight. So could see limiting number of alts allowed being a way to level the playing field.

Even with multi-computers running separate accts it would be a minimal thing cause only a handful could do this efficiently or would waste the time and money setting it all up.

Limiting alts really won't do the trick for that. Multi computers? Just use VMs, run several on one PC, VPN it up for different IPs and you are set to go. The people who can run a lot of alts now mostly already have the hardware they need to pull that off. I could run 15+ clients with my system, VMs might shave that down to 10, and that's just with 32gb of ram (ram prices are pretty low right now).

Edited by Ecrir

One way to get new and old players back..

Seriously, if they eliminate the cost for deed upkeep and/or reduce premium they would bring back players. I have been playing for 3+ years now (yep still a nub compared to others) but the amount of money you need to spend monthly is ridiculous. I know for a fact that the player base would increase if one or the other was eliminated. Wurm Online is just ridiculously expensive. I have paid my deed up for a year but i have not been back online because of the cost to perm two  characters (Priest and Builder) which is needed if you don't want to spend even more rl money to get those enchants etc...

Think about it, for a newer player that is a min of what $40.00/usd per month..which is way to much. Oh i know you can make some money in the game and I have but not enough to keep two perms and upkeep. This is why most people that want to play or continue to play do so on WU, but you still loose them due to WU GM's changing standard features and permissions that are set for WURM, or all your hard work is lost due to an unpaid server etc..

I have invested time in WO/WU and love the game and seriously would hate to see if disappear, but these are some of the reasons (on steam) ppl play WU and get frustrated at server owners and just quite all together.. 

Work with your player base and listen to us..

Edited by Ismira
  • Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 7:06 PM, MightySheep said:

I'd be very surprised if current/former PvP players of Wurm aren't hyped about the prospect of fighting on a new server with new alliances and fresh land to grab and potentially massacring steam newbies etc. I mean how boring and set in your ways must you have to be to not get excited about that lol.

Try waiting for PvP changes that are promised, half baked and some not wanted at all but pushed thru anyways for years. People only wait so long then they move on and never return. Excited to start grinding for years again for what? I understand the Steam release option is cheaper and may draw some attention to Wurm in general but not fixing PvP you have and releasing new servers with the same PvP sure will not get better results.

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

1 hour ago, TheShawv said:

Try waiting for PvP changes that are promised, half baked and some not wanted at all but pushed thru anyways for years. People only wait so long then they move on and never return. Excited to start grinding for years again for what? I understand the Steam release option is cheaper and may draw some attention to Wurm in general but not fixing PvP you have and releasing new servers with the same PvP sure will not get better results.

I dont get why half the people in this thread apparently think the game is somehow broken and not worth playing unless it gets "fixed". I haven't had any issues PvPing on WU, it's usually fun. Besides, since when does Wurm "fix" stuff? Half of the skill of PvP is about abusing all the broken stuff that's been around since forever and the combat system is you literally just stand in front of your target and do nothing. How did you end up with such optimistic expectations lol.

Also I like how you say "grind for years" as though that's the only possible way to play the game lol. I don't know what server you played on but I think you'll find PvP doesnt suck nearly as much when its not being played on some rigid decade old battleground where all the territorial lines have been set in stone for years and ridiculous unkillable titan accounts entrenched behind gigantic mega fortresses will ride out on their supreme horses and 1 shot any noob walking past.

You could always be totally crazy and only play for the initial fun part! Assuming you actually enjoy playing the game.

Edited by MightySheep

4 hours ago, Ismira said:

Think about it, for a newer player that is a min of what $40.00/usd per month..which is way to much. Oh i know you can make some money in the game and I have but not enough to keep two perms and upkeep. This is why most people that want to play or continue to play do so on WU, but you still loose them due to WU GM's changing standard features and permissions that are set for WURM, or all your hard work is lost due to an unpaid server etc..

Let's go silver only, for ease of figuring cost.  Also, this person has decided to make a 25x20 deed ( max for 1s monthly upkeep ). Converted to USD using the current USD / Euro conversion at the current in-game Silver cost of 1s/1Euro... $8 for the first month and $13 for every month after ( I am rounding up to the nearest dollar ).

Month 1 total: 7s

Premium: 2s

Deed: 5s

--

Every month after total: 11s

Premium: 10s

Deed Upkeep: 1s

That's IF someone decides to deed straight away. I really do not understand where you got $40. Also, new players don't typically go straight for multiple premium characters and multiple deeds. 

I can tell you right now that I spent no more than the monthly premium on Wurm for the first year I played. I still don't spend that much more on a regular basis. If I purchased premium monthly, I would likely spend $15 a month including my deed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ismira said:

One way to get new and old players back..

Seriously, if they eliminate the cost for deed upkeep and/or reduce premium they would bring back players. I have been playing for 3+ years now (yep still a nub compared to others) but the amount of money you need to spend monthly is ridiculous. I know for a fact that the player base would increase if one or the other was eliminated. Wurm Online is just ridiculously expensive. I have paid my deed up for a year but i have not been back online because of the cost to perm two  characters (Priest and Builder) which is needed if you don't want to spend even more rl money to get those enchants etc...

It is utterly amazing when folks post this sort of stuff.

Let me break it down for the umpteenth time, Wurm, is, cheap.

You can purchase premium for 16e/2 months, 8e/1 month essentially.

A deed's minimum upkeep is 1s/month.

If you convert 1s to 1e, you are at a grand total of, 9e/month to play the game.

This totals to just under $10/month.

Extra accounts, a larger deed, is wholly on you and is far from necessary to play the game.

Everyone quit it with the "oh Wurm is expensive" stuff, because it is not, it is not, it is not.

If you are paying $40/month then you have a lot of accounts, or more than one deed, or multiple deeds, or any combination of the sort. In any of those cases, you are CHOOSING to spend that much more on the game, and in no way are REQUIRED to pay that to play the game.

• Like 7

Because the staff determines if a game is too expensive, not the player

• Like 1

That was a cheap shot with no ground to stand on, because far as I am aware, I am also a player of this game, and I as well put quite a lot of money into it so I would hope that affords me the privilege of posting in regards to Wurm and its pricing.

Paying for an extra account is indeed, just simply fluff, as with a single premium account you get access to the entire game. Paying for a deed larger than the 1s/month minimum upkeep is indeed, just fluff. Both situations are adding no additional content that is unavailable to someone not putting into a premium account and a deed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shrimpiie said:

That was a cheap shot with no ground to stand on, because far as I am aware, I am also a player of this game, and I as well put quite a lot of money into it so I would hope that affords me the privilege of posting in regards to Wurm and its pricing.

Paying for an extra account is indeed, just simply fluff, as with a single premium account you get access to the entire game. Paying for a deed larger than the 1s/month minimum upkeep is indeed, just fluff. Both situations are adding no additional content that is unavailable to someone not putting into a premium account and a deed.

sorry shrimpiie, but I’m going to have to say that is just dead wrong.

if you are a extremely casual player who plays five hours a week, sure. You’re mostly correct.

if you however want to experience half the game locked behind priesting, you are already at a minimum of two accounts. (It’s a lot like comparing unprem runescape to premium runescape. You open up more skills and world)

if Your a serious player, and like to do everything (while managing to keep maintenance at a minimum, nobody wants to waste half their play time doing it) then your going into very expensive territory. 

It’s true most new players won’t come out of the games spending more than 15$ a month.   But given six months to a year, when the vets explain why priest, deed size, ect is better, like always, they will begin spending more. (That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, they’re invested now) but you can’t say Wurm is cheap anymore.

I would be spending 40$ per month if I hadnt given up trying to enjoy the game to the fullest.  Now I just pray for some reworks (or price changes, but I obviously don’t expect that) to enable that to happen again.

where most games give you a account with all your characters, you instead need to pay for multiple here. That alone has big effects, especially when added characters help here a lot more and make things a lot more fun.

wurm isn’t cheap, unless you want to play the very dulled down version. 

I try my best to not complain during these times, because I truly see a lot of mistakes (and good things) going on with the game, the staff, and the direction of Wurm.  

all I can say is, I hope for the sake of everyone it goes well.

Edited by Druidnature
  • Like 2
  • Cat 1

I am a far from casual player with one deed costing 4s a month and one account. If I need priests I pay for it but that's my own choice. If a player wishes to own everything and be everything solo that's fine, but it's far from expected play nor is it the cost a new player would be looking at. 

It's like saying you HAVE to buy every cosmetic item from a cash shop to play a game to it's fullest

• Like 6

people believing that you should be forced to have to buy stuff from the community rather than obtaining it on your own or be forced to join a village with strangers are the same people that will cherry pick how wurm is cheap because apparently no one needs to fully experience a game they pay for

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

I am a far from casual player with one deed costing 4s a month and one account. If I need priests I pay for it but that's my own choice. If a player wishes to own everything and be everything solo that's fine, but it's far from expected play nor is it the cost a new player would be looking at. 

It's like saying you HAVE to buy every cosmetic item from a cash shop to play a game to it's fullest

It's one of the most expensive, time consuming and outdated games. Just because you and me think otherwise, or just don't mind it, it doesn't change the fact that huge majority have their very different opinion on the price or the way they want or feel like playing this game, or any game

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

It is utterly amazing when folks post this sort of stuff.

Let me break it down for the umpteenth time, Wurm, is, cheap.

You can purchase premium for 16e/2 months, 8e/1 month essentially.

A deed's minimum upkeep is 1s/month.

If you convert 1s to 1e, you are at a grand total of, 9e/month to play the game.

This totals to just under $10/month.

Extra accounts, a larger deed, is wholly on you and is far from necessary to play the game.

Everyone quit it with the "oh Wurm is expensive" stuff, because it is not, it is not, it is not.

If you are paying $40/month then you have a lot of accounts, or more than one deed, or multiple deeds, or any combination of the sort. In any of those cases, you are CHOOSING to spend that much more on the game, and in no way are REQUIRED to pay that to play the game.

It amaze me that you honestly thing Wurm is cheap .. try costing  premium x 2  (priest and crafter) + deed   while  convert Euro to Aussie dollars .. need to think globally with prices .. I know for a fact I would come back if cost was adjusted

Edited by onefox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Also not  a casual player and honestly your prices are just too expensive. Hopefully the light bulb turns on in time for the steam release. 

Lets put it from the perspective of a guy who runs multiple clients and deeds and has dumped over 4 grand into this game over the years

3s+2s+1s a month for the respective deeds so 6s a month(this is taken care of by the bulk sales i do once or twice a year)
5 accounts that are prem none stop once a year at 87.84 usd a piece(right now) total of 439.2 once a year or 36.6 usd a month now this is 60 sleep powder that i sell at 1s a piece(i still have a few people i can sell to at this price in bulk) so that gives me 60s back
3 of my accounts are priests they pay for their cost back in silver per month
If i was to sell the silver i make i could bring my cost per month down to 2-3 usd if not make profit from playing but i choose not to

I could easilly drop the 2 expensive deeds go back to just 2 accounts and sit at 14.64 usd per month and then taking the bulk sales into account i could basically run a profit mind you i play 4-6 hours a day yes but of that time a lot of it is socializing  with others

So yes wurm is cheap hell last year it funded 80% of my game purchases on steam and you dont need to have a priest buy enchants from your local priest or alliance priest or on the forums sell bulk mats to fund it you DO NOT need more then 1 account to enjoy the game to its fullest extend as priesting up and being a priest is such a small part of the game you can easily leave it up to others and still enjoy the whole game

There was a time where i was sitting anywhere between 5g at its lowest and 19g at its highest within a 3 year period of buying and selling stuff funding deeds funding their construction giving friends prem all kinds of stuff you want to know how i got there? i did terraforming for people on indy on xanadu on jkh when that was around i build highways guard towers everything
5s a guard tower(back then)
1s per 100 tiles paved(this included terraforming of any height)
Want sand along your road? thats an extra 20c per 100 tiles
Want your 20x20 deed raised up 200+ high in 1 corner to make it flat and then build a tier system ontop of it 60s and i will gather the mats and build the houses to your specifications you plan it i build it
Want to have a tunnel on xanadu that went through a long mountain? sure il get started right away and il count the tiles and you can pay me 5s per 100 tiles long and i will even make it 2 wide for you want it supported? add another 5s ontop of it per 100

Building infrastructure makes money trying to be a priest next to a jack of all trades means you spend money as your enchants will never be as good or as cheap as the guy over there with his 95+ farming and 95+ gardening with a giant 50x50 farm full of bee hives and a village to back him up to make everything and enchant everything

Wurm can cost a lot yes but so can any game but you know what most games cant do? Make money out of wurm
The amount of money i have blown over the years that i have been in this game is insane and now days i live ontop of a mountain that im slowly sculpting into something i hope will become amazing and running off what i have saved up and still i only pay 3 cups of coffee per month(well really 2 as nz is expensive for coffee) to keep everything going

30 minutes ago, onefox said:

It amaze me that you honestly thing Wurm is cheap .. try costing  premium x 2  (priest and crafter) + deed   while  convert Euro to Aussie dollars .. need to think globally with prices .. I know for a fact I would come back if cost was adjusted

Yeah, because converting Euro to AUD comes out to about $12AUD/month, and as has been stated numerous times, having more than 1 premium account is purely a personal decision and not in any way a requirement.

And you can add a dollar or two(roughly) onto that price for the deed upkeep that is at its lowest upkeep of 1s.

So now we are in the ~$14AUD per month, anything more isn't on the fault of the game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wipeout said:

Lets put it from the perspective of a guy who runs multiple clients and deeds and has dumped over 4 grand into this game over the years

3s+2s+1s a month for the respective deeds so 6s a month(this is taken care of by the bulk sales i do once or twice a year)
5 accounts that are prem none stop once a year at 87.84 usd a piece(right now) total of 439.2 once a year or 36.6 usd a month now this is 60 sleep powder that i sell at 1s a piece(i still have a few people i can sell to at this price in bulk) so that gives me 60s back
3 of my accounts are priests they pay for their cost back in silver per month
If i was to sell the silver i make i could bring my cost per month down to 2-3 usd if not make profit from playing but i choose not to

I could easilly drop the 2 expensive deeds go back to just 2 accounts and sit at 14.64 usd per month and then taking the bulk sales into account i could basically run a profit mind you i play 4-6 hours a day yes but of that time a lot of it is socializing  with others

So yes wurm is cheap hell last year it funded 80% of my game purchases on steam and you dont need to have a priest buy enchants from your local priest or alliance priest or on the forums sell bulk mats to fund it you DO NOT need more then 1 account to enjoy the game to its fullest extend as priesting up and being a priest is such a small part of the game you can easily leave it up to others and still enjoy the whole game

There was a time where i was sitting anywhere between 5g at its lowest and 19g at its highest within a 3 year period of buying and selling stuff funding deeds funding their construction giving friends prem all kinds of stuff you want to know how i got there? i did terraforming for people on indy on xanadu on jkh when that was around i build highways guard towers everything
5s a guard tower(back then)
1s per 100 tiles paved(this included terraforming of any height)
Want sand along your road? thats an extra 20c per 100 tiles
Want your 20x20 deed raised up 200+ high in 1 corner to make it flat and then build a tier system ontop of it 60s and i will gather the mats and build the houses to your specifications you plan it i build it
Want to have a tunnel on xanadu that went through a long mountain? sure il get started right away and il count the tiles and you can pay me 5s per 100 tiles long and i will even make it 2 wide for you want it supported? add another 5s ontop of it per 100

Building infrastructure makes money trying to be a priest next to a jack of all trades means you spend money as your enchants will never be as good or as cheap as the guy over there with his 95+ farming and 95+ gardening with a giant 50x50 farm full of bee hives and a village to back him up to make everything and enchant everything

Wurm can cost a lot yes but so can any game but you know what most games cant do? Make money out of wurm
The amount of money i have blown over the years that i have been in this game is insane and now days i live ontop of a mountain that im slowly sculpting into something i hope will become amazing and running off what i have saved up and still i only pay 3 cups of coffee per month(well really 2 as nz is expensive for coffee) to keep everything going

I am glad this game is too cheap for you and all of your financial accomplishment . Still, don't think majority will relate to this or some of the similar personal stories above this topic. Average joe who doesn't have 24/7 to spend in this game most like won't fund your steam game collection buy paying you 100's of silvers for tunneling. Anymore.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shrimpiie said:

Yeah, because converting Euro to AUD comes out to about $12AUD/month, and as has been stated numerous times, having more than 1 premium account is purely a personal decision and not in any way a requirement.

And you can add a dollar or two(roughly) onto that price for the deed upkeep that is at its lowest upkeep of 1s.

So now we are in the ~$14AUD per month, anything more isn't on the fault of the game.

Your barely right for  a casual player.. I guess will just have agree to disagree  about how cheap wurm is to actually play and enjoy/