Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Steam and new Product Manager

1 minute ago, Clasin said:

Is Wurm on Steam going to be pay2play as well? 

Good question, i would like the account sales to be prohibited.

• Like 5

That, as well as only being able to log in and play on one character at a time. 

Edited by atazs

On 9/30/2019 at 4:28 PM, Ascorbic said:

group of Streamers that help promote the game at no cost. 

how streams with average 10 viewers can promote the game?

• Like 3

new pvp server without demigods and true strike  with 1x skillgains can be good :D

Forum moderation issues can be taken up with me, via PM.  I apologise if you've had a slow response recently, but I'm currently temporarily covering the LFM slot.

This is not the place to discuss moderation.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

On 9/30/2019 at 8:24 AM, Rolf said:

Yes the current plan is to open new servers, at least one pvp and one pve. Although they will use the same account server you will not be able to travel or trade between these and the old servers.

I congratulate this decision because it won't disrupt the existing player base while allowing for returning players to chose to come back to the old servers or start fresh on the new servers. This is a good incentive for returning players who sold their accounts and want to breathe some life back into their Wurm Online experience. I find that when people are concerned with reaching their goals as fast as possible, that's when they get bored of the game (same issue in other games). What's the point of rushing through the game when you can play casually and still have fun for years to come? At least, that's how I've approached it and I have plenty to do on my 3 characters for quite some time to come so long as my health holds (3rd transplant incoming) but I won't get into that. Anyway, for those who "ran out of steam" (no pun intended), they now have the option to start fresh and enjoy the playing experience all over again.

Last but not least, congratulations @Samool and to our dearly beloved @Buddafor all the hard work!

Edited by Neville

Is there any chance for us to get the old JKH map and the original chaos map for WO steam? JKH for PvE and Chaos for pvp 

@Rolf

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, atazs said:

Is there any chance for us to get the old JKH map and the original chaos map for WO steam? JKH for PvE and Chaos for pvp 

@Rolf

No, they will be brand new maps

• Like 1
  • Cat 2

3 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

No, they will be brand new maps

That is a complete and utter shame

Have you at all thought about returning some of the nostalgic maps in some shape or form? Perhaps release them for WU? There is a serious interest in those maps, since no maps created by Rolf have ever come close to what Notch did. 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

Lol screw re-using old maps, what is the point of having a swanky map generator if they were gonna do that. Also pretty much everyone loves the idea of exploring new uncharted lands. With that in mind I hope the map dump doesn't come for quite a while after release. Finding the best place to settle should be a matter of luck and skill.

That being said I hope devs don't botch it. I've played some really bad WU maps lol. I've played some maps which are way too full of mountains, lakes and awkward hilly terrain making the actual pathable land a small fraction of the overall map. On one map the rock layer was so close to the surface of the dirt that you could barely terraform, you had to chip rock every time you wanted to terraform any kind of a base. Just a matter of common sense. I have more faith in WO devs, probably. Some of the freedumb maps seem decent.

On 10/1/2019 at 9:43 AM, Ekcin said:

If Nappy and you refer to this

The thing is that I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to an overall general feeling that you hear people express time and time again. It's not an easy thing to combat, it might not even be a fair thing to have to deal with, it is however one of the realities out there on Steam. Wurm Online moderation is not always seen as a shining example of how best to work with an online community. 

Any public relations or marketing around a new product launch is likely going to have to address this in a meaningful way otherwise the launch itself will likely be somewhat challenged by people who no longer have the high level of trust in Wurm Online that others do.

~Nappy

On 10/1/2019 at 9:53 AM, phennexion said:

in b4 WurmNite server where it's battle royal and super fastr wall build times ;)

Hopefully you guys recall that wurm has had at least one battle royale server setup on WU. @Armybuilt the first one. Not sure if there were others.

3 hours ago, atazs said:

That is a complete and utter shame

Have you at all thought about returning some of the nostalgic maps in some shape or form? Perhaps release them for WU? There is a serious interest in those maps, since no maps created by Rolf have ever come close to what Notch did. 

maybe some downloable maps to put on WU, like existing server dumps

I'm pre-setting a 2 copper bounty on @Oreofor the new pvp server, because he said mean things to me on the forums that one time.

3 hours ago, Nappy said:

The thing is that I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to an overall general feeling that you hear people express time and time again. It's not an easy thing to combat, it might not even be a fair thing to have to deal with, it is however one of the realities out there on Steam. Wurm Online moderation is not always seen as a shining example of how best to work with an online community. 

Any public relations or marketing around a new product launch is likely going to have to address this in a meaningful way otherwise the launch itself will likely be somewhat challenged by people who no longer have the high level of trust in Wurm Online that others do.

~Nappy

We work very diligently with bans and I believe the biggest issue is some feeling posts being hidden is a major moderation action, when our moderation starts at warning points. If a post is hidden and a player keeps pushing it they will face the first actual moderation action, same as ingame chat, mute warns are just warnings, not full moderation actions, it's if the behaviour continues that we take action. 

As for bans, most of our bans are for macroing and other various clear rule violations, people who claim that they could be banned at any time for anything are completely wrong, and there is always a due course of appeal afterwards. 

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

lol my whole history in Wurm Online has mostly been me or people I know getting perma banned without warnings. Admittedly I was very young when I started playing and I would do some impulsive dumb stuff like one time a guy said "anyone want to buy referral 5s?" I put "yes" and he refers me and I said "I dont have 5s lol" and thats instant perm banned account. Another time I had a spy alt in an enemy kingdom on pvp, then some rules changed and I got banned. I logged into other account to save my stuff while my village got raided thats perm ban for ban dodge. Chaos was kinda ruined back then shortly afterwards though because an entire main capital village of a kingdom got banned because 1 member had a modified client and they all account shared. Long story short there I don't think I can ever remember receiving any warnings and the appeal process is a joke. I remember trying to appeal to retrieve an account that had been banned for 8 years using the logic that perm ban in old days was never permanent but actually "1000 days" and the GM response was "10000 days has never been a standard time for banning." like wut. Wasn't even what I said and it absolutely was 1000 days I should know because thats how I got my Sheepman account back.

I'm not even saying I didn't do anything wrong for most of the times I was banned but I also don't think I've ever played a game so eager to get rid of its players and not let them back. It's actually kind of amazing.

Edited by MightySheep
  • Cat 1

5 hours ago, MightySheep said:

I'm not even saying I didn't do anything wrong for most of the times I was banned but I also don't think I've ever played a game so eager to get rid of its players and not let them back. It's actually kind of amazing.

This is the understatement of the decade. You could as well have said: "I scammed, cheated, exploited, ignored rule changes, used hacked clients, and figure, those ruffians banned me".😀

Edited by Ekcin

24 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

This is the understatement of the decade. You could as well have said: "I scammed, cheated, exploited, ignored rule changes, used hacked clients, and figure, those ruffians banned me".😀

Well to be clear the only thing Ive been banned for in recent years is macroing which I can't even deny. It's really hard to sit there like a zombie pressing the same key over and over and over for weeks just to get mining up. That is about the most basic cookie clicker gameplay imagineable and I can automate it so easily with 1 line of a macro lmao. I'm mostly not a ###### anymore but macroing is still instant perma ban, no warning, no appeal, no 2nd chance lol, even after 8 years sentence isn't served. 

59 minutes ago, MightySheep said:

Well to be clear the only thing Ive been banned for in recent years is macroing which I can't even deny. It's really hard to sit there like a zombie pressing the same key over and over and over for weeks just to get mining up. That is about the most basic cookie clicker gameplay imagineable and I can automate it so easily with 1 line of a macro lmao. I'm mostly not a ###### anymore but macroing is still instant perma ban, no warning, no appeal, no 2nd chance lol, even after 8 years sentence isn't served. 

Strange. Let us summarize: After having banned for other transgressions earlier you still found you were to judge about which rules to be respected and which not? In real life jurisdiction this would lead to increase in penalty in the case of a repeat offence. Moreover, ease of scripting is a funny excuse: murder or sexual assaults are ways easier than, say credit card fraud, should they be punished with lesser sentences? And well, skilling can be felt a challenge or a boredom, agreed, I for my part like mining and don't shy from clearing veins. Wurm is sandbox, if you don't like something, just do something else.

And I am not condemning you, rather your complaints when facing the consequences.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 3

On 9/30/2019 at 10:45 PM, Quicktor said:

@Samoolcongratulations, hoping for a new and exciting front of upcoming changes.

@Rolfwhen does retros contract expire btw?

Surprised your comment wasn't removed. Also I am slightly confused on why we are switching to steam like Wurm Unlimited was supposed to promote this game wasn't it?  It just slaughtered the population into 1/5 of it's original population. I am quite sure just as many people play current Wurm Unlimited as do WO, or are we supposed to be pretending WU has some massive population? 

Edited by Wimblonian

22 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Strange. Let us summarize: After having banned for other transgressions earlier you still found you were to judge about which rules to be respected and which not? In real life jurisdiction this would lead to increase in penalty in the case of a repeat offence. Moreover, ease of scripting is a funny excuse: murder or sexual assaults are ways easier than, say credit card fraud, should they be punished with lesser sentences? And well, skilling can be felt a challenge or a boredom, agreed, I for my part like mining and don't shy from clearing veins. Wurm is sandbox, if you don't like something, just do something else.

And I am not condemning you, rather your complaints when facing the consequences.

I'm not even complaining its all in the past and I don't even care any more but the suggestion from retro that they give warnings or that they even bother with appeals just cracked me up. My only concern is they dont get over zealous GMs on steam like they have had in the past.

Funny you mention serious real life crimes because for most of them I'd have served my sentence by now but I guess a 10 year old macroing 1st offence is a lot more serious than those.

5 minutes ago, MightySheep said:

I'm not even complaining its all in the past and I don't even care any more but the suggestion from retro that they give warnings or that they even bother with appeals just cracked me up. My only concern is they dont get over zealous GMs on steam like they have had in the past.

Funny you mention serious real life crimes because for most of them I'd have served my sentence by now but I guess a 10 year old macroing 1st offence is a lot more serious than those.

Macros have always been loss of account. 

That's stated in the game rules too:

Punishment: First offense - Permanent avatar ban.  Second offense - Loss of all avatars/accounts and permanent ip ban.
 - Penalties for macro abuse may be applied at any time pending GM review, even if you have discontinued abusing a macro at time of penalty.

So yes, loss of the account is the warning. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, MightySheep said:

Just that (then we should stop derailing😎 ) I apologize for an obviously bad example. What I meant, referring to the ease of macroing, was roughly that: It is easier to beat up a baby than beating up an adult person. That does not mean that it is less vicious or more excusable.