Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Steam and new Product Manager

First of all I want to thank you for the Steam discussion we've had. Even though there are both strong skeptics and very positive opinions I have decided that we're moving in that direction aiming for a Steam release in the beginning of next year. I've been doing a road map for it and most things just have to be implemented in a pretty straightforward fashion which means we need to redirect our resources.

That's why I also announce my decision to appoint a new Product Manager for Wurm: Samool. He's  has worked hard on improving the look and feel of wurm, with huge improvements in client performance, massive visual features such as distant terrain, modern renderer and a lot of old desired client changes. He's been doing some server changes as well and even though he'll have a lot to learn we both positive he'll do fine.

We're upping his contract and he'll now be taking a more focused approach in generally improving the game, leading to the Steam release. Myself, I'll be looking at implementing different QoL changes mainly for the Steam release but depending on your approval for the current version of the game. 

Buddas contract will expire in a month, and although I know many of you will miss him sorely these are the types of tough and possibly disruptive decisions I have to take from time to time. I can't say how thankful I am for him taking over the helm of Wurm back in April 2016 and for all the great work he's done for Wurm and you the players. 
As everyone understands. filling Buddas costume wouldn't be an easy task for anyone and therefor it's often best for a successor to do it in steps, sometimes changing parts of it and taking his or her own path. Hopefully game management won't be too disrupted though and soon move on in old wagon trails.

Budda's legacy will live on in things such as the archaeology skill, the new journal system, the ability to gain affinities through pve, runes, and the new jackal server.  

I want to say from my heart, thank's a lot Budda and Welcome Samool!

• Like 25
  • Cat 2

Congratulations Samool!

From what I have heard, you have made a wise decision, Rolf.

• Like 3

Sounds good, I'll be sure to get an alt made on release to claim some land for the day clusters are merged.  Cause lets be honest, Im not starting over lol.

• Like 1

So has it been decided that the steam release will feature a completely new server or cluster that wont be connected to the current main servers? I couldnt find a clear statement on this, so would like a clarification

Thanks

Thank you so much Budda for all your hard work on our behalf.

Congratulations Samool.

5 minutes ago, nitram20 said:

So has it been decided that the steam release will feature a completely new server or cluster that wont be connected to the current main servers? I couldnt find a clear statement on this, so would like a clarification

Thanks

Yes the current plan is to open new servers, at least one pvp and one pve. Although they will use the same account server you will not be able to travel or trade between these and the old servers.

• Like 11
  • Cat 2

3 minutes ago, Rolf said:

Yes the current plan is to open new servers, at least one pvp and one pve. Although they will use the same account server you will not be able to travel or trade between these and the old servers.

Will they be separated permanently or possibly joined at a later date like pristine and release were?

1 minute ago, Xor said:

Will they be separated permanently or possibly joined at a later date like pristine and release were?

Possibly joined depending on how they work out like I wrote in the first post in the thread here

We'll make more announcements the more certain we are about how we'll do things. It's still months away and the more we code the more we'll know how things will work. Please keep the Steam discussion in that thread:)

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

Grats Samool.

@Rolfmy only question that relates to the swap of product managers etc, we were all told there was going to be a pretty substantial November update, particularly interesting for PvP. Are these changes still planned or are they scrapped for the new change in direction of resources to steam? If they are still planned are we going to be hearing exactly whats happening in November anytime soon? I don't think anyone has a clue and its only a month away.

• Like 1

I would like to say that I am thrilled to see Rolf active on the forum and apparently active in some development capacity in his game again!!!!   Just saying....

• Like 7

@BuddaThank you for steering Wurm during these not-so-easy years!

@SamoolGrats on the new position... well good luck too! :)

@Rolfgood to see you've finally found the password of your forum account ...

I'm also curious btw if there still will be a PVP autumn revamp?

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, platinumteef said:

Grats Samool.

@Rolfmy only question that relates to the swap of product managers etc, we were all told there was going to be a pretty substantial November update, particularly interesting for PvP. Are these changes still planned or are they scrapped for the new change in direction of resources to steam? If they are still planned are we going to be hearing exactly whats happening in November anytime soon? I don't think anyone has a clue and its only a month away.

Okay the pvp changes are postponed for now due to this management change and focus on Steam. We'll give more information as soon as we've discussed more but the new Epic rework may be the version that comes to Steam. Sorry for the disruption.

• Like 4
  • Cat 1

7 minutes ago, Rolf said:

Okay the pvp changes are postponed for now due to this management change and focus on Steam. We'll give more information as soon as we've discussed more but the new Epic rework may be the version that comes to Steam. Sorry for the disruption.

Its okay Rolf, the pvp community is more than used to it.

• Like 6

###### yes! put me in the extremely positive response boat, I'm so glad you're doing a PvP server. I look forward to seeing what kind of world map you guys generate.

Edited by MightySheep
  • Like 1

Congratulations Samool, well earned and definately well deserved :)

• Like 2

Will the new cluster server's have bespoke settings or will they mirror the Freedom Cluster or Epic Cluster?

Please can the new cluster not have anything to do with player gods

9 minutes ago, Joelle said:

Congrats, @Samool! @Budda, you will be missed

@Quicktor, Retro’s contract is very secure... Don’t you worry!

Sure it is..new company with new ideas..pretty sure they have their own staff who does the same job as retro, but does the job a lot better

Edited by Erin
  • Like 3

I have been in discussion with both rolf and samool and rest assured, I am continuing my role as community manager as I always have, ain't nobody else like me! 

I'd rather this stay on topic though, so I will say to Budda, thank you. We both started out in our roles around the same time, and over the past three years we have accomplished many tasks, seeing some of our biggest dreams coming to wurm, and also conquering lands in dnd, you also convinced me to move to new Zealand and I can honestly call you a very good mate, I will see you at the pub first Friday I'm back as usual, we just won't be talking wurm! 

Samool, you've been a genius when it comes to the client, and you've really brought wurm forward visually, I look forward to supporting you as you bring wurm forward into steam. 

Also, yay steam! 

• Like 9
  • Cat 5

Edited - Don't wanna be mean to poor retro

Edited by Olloch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Olloch said:

Its okay Rolf, the pvp community is more than used to it.

There is no PvP community

• Like 2

@Retrograde, people be shooting the messenger... 

I think he has done a lot with what he was given.  Especially under his tenure we have a community Discord, and a group of Streamers that help promote the game at no cost. 

• Like 5

Just now, Ascorbic said:

@Retrograde, people be shooting the messenger... 

I think he has done a lot with what he was given.  Especially under his tenure we have a community Discord, and a group of Streamers that help promote the game at no cost. 

Thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself.

• Like 7