Sign in to follow this  
Schiann

[Bug] Keybinds.txt rewritten between client launch and connect

The keybindings.txt file (if missing) generates fresh upon launching the client, but then rewrites with another (older, ugly) version when connecting to the servers. So, any binds added between launching the client and connecting are lost.

• Like 1

Have you crashed / disconnected/ etc.. any odd way to exit from the game other than normal exit?

Are you sure your keybinds.txt in profile is not read-only?

only other option is to somehow mess your profiles to switch keybinds.. but that's odd behavior.

None of the above. 

To clarify, changes can be made and retained in the second file generated, but not the first. 

Try it. Move your key binds.txt file out of your default profile, then start the client (but don't connect). Make a change to the file, save, and then connect. Examine the file again, and you will see it's an entirely different key binds file. (Note the comment at the top, as well.) 

It looks to me like the file is now generated at a different point than it had been previously, but the original bit of code to generate it didn't get removed from the previous location. 

Sorry, I've just noticed I've posted this under WU when it should be under WO. 

Could a mod possibly move it to the correct section? Thanks in advance! 

5 minutes ago, Schiann said:

Sorry, I've just noticed I've posted this under WU when it should be under WO. 

Could a mod possibly move it to the correct section? Thanks in advance! 

Moved!

14 hours ago, Schiann said:

None of the above. 

To clarify, changes can be made and retained in the second file generated, but not the first. 

Try it. Move your key binds.txt file out of your default profile, then start the client (but don't connect). Make a change to the file, save, and then connect. Examine the file again, and you will see it's an entirely different key binds file. (Note the comment at the top, as well.) 

It looks to me like the file is now generated at a different point than it had been previously, but the original bit of code to generate it didn't get removed from the previous location. 

sorcery! how do you do that, you have launcher and settings profile editor... other thing is the client once you start the client which uses the credentials from the login on launcher........ how do you start client without connecting

explain in detail.. have devs look at it..

I mean launch the client but don't click the button to log in to the play servers. 

I don't know how much more detail I can give. 

This is on a Win 10 64bit machine, 64bit client. 

4 hours ago, Finnn said:

other thing is the client once you start the client which uses the credentials from the login on launcher

No, your login details are stored locally, in text files. The fields in the launcher are populated from these files, not the login server. The login server then authenticates the details when you click to log in. 

I reproduced what you are seeing here and will add it as an issue.  Thanks for explaining it in detail.