Sign in to follow this  
Shrimpiie

QoL Improvements (Easy Fixes)

This is a list of simple/easy adjustments/oversights/tweaks that shouldn't impact balance to the game.

My other thread has more complicated adjustments/changes that might impact balance but would still be a great benefit to Wurm: https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/172338-qol-improvements-harder-fixes/

1. Allow us to drag/drop a HotA statue from inventory into an inventory that is appropriately large enough; currently needs to be loaded instead.
  2. Allow the planting of HotA's direct from inventory; currently can "only be worked with while on the ground."
  3. Allow enchanted grass tiles to be cultivated directly to dirt like steppe/regular grass tiles; currently need to pack then cultivate unnecessarily.
  4. Allow lawn tiles to be cultivated directly to dirt like steppe/regular grass tiles; currently need to pack then cultivate unnecessarily.
  5. Allow the loading/hauling up of pillars; currently cannot get them to higher structure floors without making a bridge to that floor first; also cannot get them transported any reasonable distance.
  6. Allow minedoors on 2-3 tile wide mine entrances or create 2-3 tile versions of mine doors; currently you cannot secure multi-tile mine entrances.
  7. Allow branding hitched animals; currently you need to unhitch the animals which is a pain if you are branding animals on a wagon.
  8. Allow enchanting a tree/bush tile halt its age at the current state; it does virtually nothing on them currently.
  9. Allow the option to "smelt" items that are in inventory while EMBARKED; currently you need to annoyingly disembark for no reason.
  10. Allow removal of hitched animal gear with the "take" keybind; currently you can only manually drag it off of the animal.
  11. Allow animals to remain stationary when attempting to brand them like taming does; currently they can still just wander off, interrupting the branding action.
  12. Allow reading of a recipe to be instant, outside of being in a queued action set; currently you have to wait until you are finished with what you are doing/end what you are doing to read a recipe.
  13. Allow the loading/hauling up of trash heaps; currently cannot get them to higher structure floors without making a bridge to that floor first(or making them there); also cannot get them transported any reasonable distance.
  14. Allow planning of a structure with a trowel; currently only mallets/hammers work to plan a structure.
  15. Allow the volume of colorful carpets to be smaller; currently won't fit into even a storage rack shelf.
  16. Allow a huge oil barrel to be secured; currently cannot be.
  17. Allow the crafting recipes window to clear prior inputs between window closings; currently when you close that window and reopen it, it retains what you last wrote, unlike other input bars, which can be a pain to type something then find out you need to erase what was already there.
  18. Allow a ballista to be secured; currently cannot be.
  19. Allow dropping a small bedside table from inventory into an inventory that is appropriately large enough; currently needs to be loaded instead.
  20. Allow repairing of large anvils while in inventory; currently can "only be worked with while on the ground."
  21. Allow imping of large anvils while in inventory; currently can "only be worked with while on the ground."
  22. Allow the securing of fireplaces; currently cannot.
  23. Allow repairing of the "new" chair types(high chair, throne, chaise, paupers, fine high chair, lounge) while in a container or inventory; currently can "only be worked with while on the ground."
  24. Allow a decoration item on a tile that is maxed on tile decorations to be pushed/pulled; currently have to lower the decorations in order to push/pull a decoration item on a tile.
  25. Allow more than 1 throne to be planted per tile in a structure; these are not beds and shouldn't be subjected to that restriction.
  26. Allow altars to be hauled up/down in a structure; currently cannot get them to higher structure floors without making a bridge to that floor first(or making them there).
  27. Allow mailboxes to be hauled up/down in a structure; currently cannot get them to higher structure floors without making a bridge to that floor first(or making them there).
  28. Allow the volume of tall banners to be smaller; currently won't fit into any container.
  29. Allow altar interior volume to be increased; currently they cannot fit several items that may come in rare+ versions that players would sacrifice(slabs, felled trees, ect).
  30. Allow the wall listing in the crafting menu to separate by wall type; currently it does not and you have to scroll a lot to get to to the wall type you want.
  31. Allow the wall listing/fence listing menu to default be collapsed; currently you must do a lot of scrolling to get to the wall/fence type you want.
  32. Allow moving while PLANNING interior walls; currently if you are r-click planning multiple walls in a row you have to stop on each or risk being told you may not move while doing that action even though it is an instant action.
  33. Allow rotation of walls/floors to be instant; currently it is a timed action and unnecessary.
  34. Allow fountains of any kind to be able to be planted/secured; currently they cannot be.
  35. Allow the placement of wood floor boards onto packed dirt instead of cultivated dirt; it is the odd man out when it comes to all pavement types and is confusing to new players and unnecessary.
  36. Allow trim decoration addition/removal to be instant; currently it is a timed action and unnecessary.
  37. Allow unique skulls to be able to be planted; currently cannot.
  38. Allow trash heaps to be planted; currently cannot.
  39. Allow planting direct to corner tiles inside structures; currently the option only exists outside.
  40. Allow a "receive/return all" button of some sort in the mailbox menu to quickly allow the checking off of the entire column of items; currently for those that do a lot of mailing it can be a hassle to tick all the boxes.
  41. Allow the toggling of the friends tab and alliance tab via profile; currently they force open on login.
  42. Allow moving while performing bashing actions in PvE; currently unnecessarily restricted likely due to PvP code.
  43. Allow newly built gates to have a 1ql lock already built in, similar to how vehicles function(there is no need to generate a key for them as they function under the permissions system like anything else with a lock); currently they do not and can be confusing to new players when the build a fence and may not realize immediately they need to also make something to lock it with.
  44. Allow unhitching of specific animals from a vehicle via r-click menu; currently you unhitch all animals when you try to unhitch from a vehicle.
  45. Allow all relevant r-click options for objects/walls/ect to be used from the crafting menu icon(where you generally put your tool/item in); currently the available options are severely limited and while some might not use these functions it is odd and seemingly unnecessary to disallow allowed options for r-click on items in the 2 sides of the crafting window.
  46. Allow r-click disembarking on a tile while inside a structure; currently this only functions outside a structure so inside one you must r-click your current vehicle to get the disembark option.
  47. Allow the planting of flowers inside a structure; currently if you want to plant/replant grass inside a structure you must use thatch, which is an odd workaround but likely due to the code for rightly disallowing trees to be planted in a structure being used in relation to flower planting inside one as well; split them to allow flower planting!
  48. Allow the renaming of the current toolbelt loadout; would allow for quick access to various crafting toolbelts without the need to load each one to find the one you are searching for.
  49. Allow the CA Help tab to pop open when toggling it on via the /ca command; it would benefit players that accidentally got into the circumstance of toggling it off and closing it but need it.
  50. Allow the noting of previous account balance when sent mail is received that displays right before the new updated balance; currently you can't even know what your funds were at prior to someone receiving your mail.
  51. Allow the addition of the % to continue in the crafting menu and r-click menus; currently it is unknown what the % to continue is.
  52. Allow the pulling of all non-rare resources first from inventory BEFORE rare ones; currently the game pulls whatever it feels like and can pull materials you didn't want used in say building construction from inventory groups, backpacks ect.
  53. Allow the rotation of gates/fences; currently you cannot and have no control over the direction a gate swings open to.
  54. Allow all ladder floor openings to only require half the materials as they do currently; currently only the wooden floor opening requires half, the rest require the same as their full floor counterparts.
  55. Allow an event window message for entering Perimeters of deeds, in addition to the usual one for entering the deed proper; deed perimeters are a large mystery barrier that can cause confusion for new players and can take more time to sort out where they end than figuring out just someone's deed boundary.
  56. Remove the inventory of a dredge; it is unnecessary and somewhat confusing to new player as it is a relic of when dirt went into dredge inventory, not boat inventory.
  57. Remove "load cargo" on a vehicle itself when you are commanding it; there is a cute message sure but it is superfluous to have it there when it is never possible to load the vehicle into itself.
  58. Remove the name of the structure/fence owner from the list of players able to be added to the structure/fence permissions list; it's weird and unnecessary to have the owner's name there, they are owner...
  59. Remove the management of your profile from the manage>profile menu and place it directly in the r-click menu for inventory, body, hand, inventory group options ect; currently it is somewhat buried all the way in that manage menu when it is arguably the most important option for players to have readily available.
  60. Remove the /warnings from the /help listing; it is outdated and never used and can be confusing to players.
  61. Remove the /villageinvite from the /help listing; it is superfluous as right above it and more commonly known is already /vinvite.
  62. Remove the /toggleccfp from the /help listing and add an r-click toggle option on the health bar; all other health bar options are adjustable from the health bar menu.
  63. Remove the restriction on toggling CA Help via the /ca command; currently unnecessary and plain confusing to have such a restriction in.
  64. Remove logout timer for offdeed(60 seconds) on PvE, but leave the extended timer logout when recently in combat; unnecessary to have on PvE and is likely a PvP mechanic.
  65. Remove the bank movement timer on PvE; it is likely relating strictly to PvP and the use of "safe storage" for that but is unnecessary for PvE.
  66. Change /ignore description in the /help listing to be something like "makes you unable to hear the player in public channels and PM's. It also adds a mute vote if used by many people at the same time.
  67. Change the /release corpse command to be one word as /releasecorpse; it falls in line with the other /commands.
  68. Change the name of the "decorative fountain" into just the "fountain" and remove the crafting recipe for the "decorative fountain"; the decorative fountain currently serves no purpose and is confusing.
  69. Change the name of the "rock shard" to "stone shard" to fall in line with other shards, and be similar to what is most commonly created from it, the stone brick.
  70. Change the name of the vulnerability types to have a capitalized "V" on mouse-over in the status effects display; currently it is lowercased and doesn't fall in line with other status's.
  71. Change the title of the "Mission progress" to be "Mission Progress"(capitalized 'P') for the GUI mission progress display; currently it is a lowercase 'p' and looks odd/unfinished.
  72. Change the "Sleep" option in the Menu Bar to display how to turn on/off sleep bonus in its event message; currently have to find the command deep within the /help listing.
  73. Change wood left/right/T arched wall types to need 20 planks instead of 19; brings them in line with all other partial archway types needing same amount of material as regular wall types plus a beam or bar.
  74. Change the message when trying to drop gear onto a horse(or other applicable geared creature), from "you are not allowed to do that" to "you must tame, or brand the animal to your deed first"; currently you just get the former message and it is confusing to new players.
  75. Change the name of the "slab" to "stone slab" to fall in line with the other slab variants.
  76. Change creature cage ownership to be proximity based like anything else dropped on a deed; when you unload on a deed that does not allow loading/pickup, you lose the ability to load your own cages back into your vehicle.
  77. Provided a large popup for F2P accounts when attempting to cross to a PvP server regarding their inability to command a ship as character skills are capped to 20 on PvP not 30 like on Freedom.
  78. Removed stamina drain while mounted on anything in PvE; shouldn't really be gamebreaking to remove it, it is just an annoyance.
  79. Allow creation of objects while mounted; again does not break anything to add, it is just an annoyance and likely due to old code preventing.
  80. Allow addition of animal gear when on a wagon/cart; you currently can remove it, but not reapply it while mounted.

Struck items have been added.

Added a few more things as of 10/23/21.

• Like 20
  • Cat 1

YA!

/me hides in the middle of the list "mycelium on freedom"

In all seriousness, its these little things that really improve the game. There will probably be much more others can think of that are just tiny changes that are huge QL of life changes.

+1 on most of the suggestions

*idea thief mode activated*

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 1

very good suggestions indeed. I might add (if allowed) the proposal to change care/uncare for and tame/untame behaviour in context menus. While care/uncare is a simple toggle without confirmation, untame must be done over body/manage animals/un-tame with a confirmation window. That is completely absurd as untaming does no severe harm while unintentiol uncaring may end fatally for the creature.

• Like 1

Also, "Take portion" on food "needs to be done on solid ground". I'm mounted and eady to go,  just want to take a quick bite with me, why do I need to disembark first...

• Like 3

To add to the context menu problems: The animal dropdown menu invites fatal misclicks, which even may occur unintentionally and unavoidably in case of lags where the syncronity between presentation and mouseclicks is compromised.

The sequence in animal dropdown menu now is Examine - No Target - Lock - Open Saddle Bags (horse only) - Care for(uncare for without confirmation) - Attacks - Stop Leading - Ride/Disembark - Permissions - Feed - Tame - Emotes .

Mistaking Attacks for Care for, Stop Leading for Ride (when under attack), Disembark for Attacks (death sequence for horse in rift battles) is likely and happens. And is completely unnecessary. The Care for/Untame mess has been mentioned above.

Sequence could be Examine - Lock - Attacks - Open Saddle Bags - Permissions - Ride/Disembark - Care for (Uncare with confirmation askback or in manage animals window ) - Tame (Untame toggle instead of manage animals window). That would make fatal misclicks highly unlikely.

• Like 1

Add the ability to cast combat spells using number keybinds after targeting a creature. Unless that's already a thing.

I mean like the option to press 1, 2, 3, all that like if you were mining or foraging or something, and for that to come up automatically in the fight/target menu when fighting something and you can choose what spells you want to appear there in some settings somewhere.

On 9/28/2019 at 4:26 AM, Sklo:D said:

*idea thief mode activated*

Yep! People really need to be careful of you implementing (stealing) so many of these QoL changes on your server. Next thing you know they will be playing there instead of on the WO servers. Very detrimental to the *real* game.

=Ayes=

Put the "Place" command in a sub-menu?

The number of times I hit that by accident and end up with all the stuff I'm imping in my inventory. If the stuff was ordered, or if I'm already holding similar items in my inventory, this can be a real pain in the arse to sort out.

• Like 1

When a barrel has been sealed with a peg it should not have be sealed again with a new peg if you open it.

The old peg should automatically be reused.

• Like 1

One of my biggest gripes for me is how imping items, especially with silver and gold seems to work. Altars, and statuettes come to my mind but i'm sure there are more items.

Example: I can use a 0.01kg lump to imp a deity statuette, but at the same time for the same statuette, i can also use a 0.05kg lump but the whole lump is used up either way???? Then, If i use let's say 0.10kg, it jumps down to 0.05kg, but if i use a 0.09kg, it also jumps down to 0.05kg instead of 0.04kg?  Now I know you might be thinking, well imping statuettes are useless, but altars are the same

I can use either a 0.21kg lump to imp an altar, and i can also use a 0.25kg to do so as well, both times the lump is used up. In fact you can use even a 0.01KG! lump to imp an altar and there are zero differences in improvement quality! This makes no sense, is inconsistent, abuseable, and is wasted material. I might be nitpicking here but considering how much gold/silver you use up when imping these things and how much you have to mine for them, it is a big issue and altar QL does matter to some extent. 

Then there are items such as needles that when created will produce an extra, very low QL and very low weigh metal lump. Again why is this and why is this only for certain items? 

Edited by atazs

I would like a possibility to have every skill tick recorded to the skill tab without the skill tab lighting up in red every time.

A profile setting for it on top of the usual settings for skill tab updates preferably.

On 10/7/2019 at 11:33 AM, atazs said:

I can use either a 0.21kg lump to imp an altar, and i can also use a 0.25kg to do so as well, both times the lump is used up. In fact you can use even a 0.01KG! lump to imp an altar and there are zero differences in improvement quality! This makes no sense, is inconsistent, abuseable, and is wasted material. I might be nitpicking here but considering how much gold/silver you use up when imping these things and how much you have to mine for them, it is a big issue and altar QL does matter to some extent. 

Actually if the material is less than the full weight required it will imp less and be more likely to require another imp with the material 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Actually if the material is less than the full weight required it will imp less and be more likely to require another imp with the material 

In fact I fail to see why any further nerfing of the possibility to imp with sub full weight mat would be a "QoL improvement". I would rather regard it a major annoyance.

Maybe add a change of 'profile setting' inside the game. At this point I must log out; change setting then log back in.

I would like to have a profile setting for different actions. Fighting, farming, crafting.

To do this in game I must key bind each action each time. Profile setting allow me to change all setting at once.

Doing this in game would be nice because I change actions often thus need to logout and login each time I take on a new job.

Edited by lowborn

Looks like a lot of good fixes made it into this patch, thank you Devs!

11 hours ago, DevBlog said:
  • Quality of life changes and fixes:
    • Enchanted Grass can now be cultivated.
    • Lawn and mycelium lawn can now be be cultivated.
    • Decorative pillars can now be transported so they can be hauled up / down.
    • You can now attach mine doors to wide cave entrances (PVE only).
    • Enchanted trees / bushes, will no longer age.
    • Creatures getting branded will now remain stationary during the action.
    • Trash Heaps are now transportable, they can also be hauled up / down.
    • You can now plan a building with a trowel.
    • Large Oil Barrel can now be planted / secured.
    • Ballistae can now be planted / secured.
    • Slabs made of rock shards will now be called stone slabs.

15.  Yes, and allow colourful carpets (all sizes) to be sent through the mail.  Many times I am asked to send them to folks decorating large areas and have to tell them I can not.

26. Yes to an increase in altar dimensions, at the moment I can't even fit a pelt in there (one of the most common butchering items of which we need to get rid) - [01:43:10] The large rat pelt will not fit in the altar of Nahjo.

38.  Yes to displaying our previous bank balance - or at least add the value of the last transaction.  The name of the last payee might be good to see too whilst we're at it. ;)

40.  Yes please, lets not use our rares before we realise we created them, also it would be nice if all rare items could be stacked/sorted separately for example wooden item like mallets and spindles, as well as bulks like sprouts, clay, planks, bricks.

41.  No, at least, please don't remove the inventory from dredges without giving us all plenty of warning - I currently use some of my spare dredges to store hundreds of things, and I can't be the only one.  We can't assume all dredges are empty before making such an update.

• Like 1

In such a case as to removing the inventory from dredges, it would just force their contents out into the next container up, even if it puts that container above the 00 item cap or the volume cap, it would ensure no one lost their items.