Sign in to follow this  
kochinac

Rift rage thread again

Ok, so i was at Deli rift this morning and it got me furious. There was 2 other guys from start, so 3 in total, some folks joined at the very end, but the 3 of us had to handle first 3 waves.

First of all rifts are so long now to the point it's ridiculous unpleasant, please make them shorter, not need for 4 waves, and  not need for them to last so long. Took us around 3.5h to finish, not to mention we didnt kill warmaster but sacced hearts just for the sake of finishing it already. i have 67 of this ###### to finish for journal, at this rate thats too much time invested(not to mention i cant catch everyone and got to get up way early for this one instead to sleep on my free day). 1,5-2 h should be max time needed to finish rift no matter how much people are there.

Second for love of Vynora and all gods stop rewarding people for targeting everything instead of outburtsing dmg to most tacticly crucial foes.

Third for all that time and effort i got just 277 points (can't even reedem for random shoulder) and glimmer lump. No recepies nor chance to buy them with points, no any other extra things. Please reconsider rewarding system.

I liked the thing with warmaster and turrets, not sure if killing warmaster gives any extra points or rewards but it is way though to kill. (also very nice that turrets give rift mats on butchering but nails and chains could have been from seryll, although i could imagine mess of grabbing for them if that was the  case).

Oh yeah, and sounds are terrible, it's ridiculous for serous profesional game that is payed for.

I simply don't understand how sometimes you guys are out of touch with reality with things like this, it seems like you never ever tried to finish atleast one rift on test server before releasing this changes.

To sumarize, nobody has 4h to waste on this thing in one sesion, it's realy unpleasant, rewarding system is terrible(both rewards and actions people are rewarded for) and doesnt scale with time invested, i mean wasted.

I realy hope you will imrove these aspects...

• Like 1

While I agree that the 4 rounds thing is unpleasant, I have fought rifts with small teams before, and I cannot say that 4 hours, or, more exactly, 3:17h according to Niarja, for a 3 to 6 fighter team is in any way long, or at least longer than it ever was. I have fought longer in small teams in the past, and also after Jackal launch. 

As to the rewards, I tend to agree that they should be higher when such a small team defeats the rift. Last Xanadu rift, taking 2:41 hrs with a slightly larger team, I got something around 235 points, but in fact, I am not that discontent with. It is ways better than tons of unmatched left shoulder pads and similar.

But agreed that the mechanism of distributing rift points may be reconsidered. Be aware though that eg those who are constantly stunning a foe by shield bash, low rider etc. with a 1h weapon, would be seriously disadvantaged if only damage dealt would count. Everybody would wield a 2h weapon then. I am not sure which method is the best. Maybe a mix of dmg dealt, targets hit, overall foes killed by everybody, and a "fund of points" which would scale up or down with number of participants thus more for small teams.

Only consider the rift mat loot. In small teams, I pulled up to 80 mats at a single rift, and in the end stopped and let others get the remaining crystals or shards. At crowded rifts, everything above 8 mats was a success.

As to the journal goal, it was not designed for a few weeks to accomplish. I am now at #51, and confident to finish this year, or at least before next spring. For a noob like me, with my first rift this January, that is not too bad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

While I agree that the 4 rounds thing is unpleasant, I have fought rifts with small teams before, and I cannot say that 4 hours, or, more exactly, 3:17h according to Niarja, for a 3 to 6 fighter team is in any way long, or at least longer than it ever was. I have fought longer in small teams in the past, and also after Jackal launch. 

As to the rewards, I tend to agree that they should be higher when such a small team defeats the rift. Last Xanadu rift, taking 2:41 hrs with a slightly larger team, I got something around 235 points, but in fact, I am not that discontent with. It is ways better than tons of unmatched left shoulder pads and similar.

I miss a bit the random drops from champs - I think they don't give extra points now either?

But agreed that the mechanism of distributing rift points may be reconsidered. Be aware though that eg those who are constantly stunning a foe by shield bash, low rider etc. with a 1h weapon, would be seriously disadvantaged if only damage dealt would count. Everybody would wield a 2h weapon then. I am not sure which method is the best. Maybe a mix of dmg dealt, targets hit, overall foes killed by everybody, and a "fund of points" which would scale up or down with number of participants thus more for small teams.

As to the journal goal, it was not designed for a few weeks to accomplish. I am now at #51, and confident to finish this year, or at least before next spring. For a noob like me, with my first rift this January, that is not too bad.

Trick is to NOT check the journal progress, it is like Schroedinger's cat, better if you are not sure about the status :P

8 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

33 minutes ago, kochinac said:

First of all rifts are so long now to the point it's ridiculous unpleasant, please make them shorter, not need for 4 waves, and  not need for them to last so long. Took us around 3.5h to finish, not to mention we didnt kill warmaster but sacced hearts just for the sake of finishing it already. i have 67 of this ###### to finish for journal, at this rate thats too much time invested(not to mention i cant catch everyone and got to get up way early for this one instead to sleep on my free day). 1,5-2 h should be max time needed to finish rift no matter how much people are there

Rifts with low participation level last very long as the mobs later in the actual wave tend to spawn only when you kill some beforehand - rendering impossible to burn hearts before all and every one is spawned means that you need to hack through 50-60 in later waves with your team of 2 people.

I liked the thing with warmaster and turrets, not sure if killing warmaster gives any extra points or rewards but it is way though to kill. (also very nice that turrets give rift mats on butchering but nails and chains could have been from seryll, although i could imagine mess of grabbing for them if that was the  case).

I received the turret armour chains with no material so armour pieces made from the could not be imped at all :(

And: some of the new sounds are awful indeed. That rubber duck, the music box and the mechanical pig.....

Ehh...  2--4 hours to reach the rift, 2--4 hours to get home.  So that's a 4--8 hour investment already for me on Xanadu, without the rift even being included.

In all honesty, I think something needs doing with this as (worst case scenario) this kind of event is a 12 hour session, something only the unemployed, or students wanting to fail their course, are going to have time for.  Not to mention, during that time, if you are driving?  0 character progress is being made.

• Like 2

I've always said the points for targeting a mob was wrong. I have seen so many people never really get in the fight and end up at the top of the leader board. I have not been to a rift since they were revamped (honestly, didn't even know they had been until I saw rift wave 4/4 on my mission bar) so can't comment on any of that. Guess I'll have to go check one out.

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

Ehh...  2--4 hours to reach the rift, 2--4 hours to get home.  So that's a 4--8 hour investment already for me on Xanadu, without the rift even being included.

In all honesty, I think something needs doing with this as (worst case scenario) this kind of event is a 12 hour session, something only the unemployed, or students wanting to fail their course, are going to have time for.  Not to mention, during that time, if you are driving?  0 character progress is being made

Well, 2-4 hours one way seems overblown to me. I rarely need over 1.5h to reach a rift on another server, and most times less on Xanadu. But yes, it is an effort. I use the ship whereever possible, that allows me to do other stuff in the meantime. Driving a cart over longer distance indeed is a pain, even with hellies. Of course the rift fight proper widely requires full concentration and awareness.

True that unless you are working self employed, working from home etc. it is impossible to play such events during worktime. But that is also the case for most other Wurm activities which also cannot that easily be interrupted.

Edit: To elaborate, it is of course true that events like rifts are very demanding and time consuming. For working people with fix work hours they may be a thing for the weekends or holidays, or, if the fight proper is outside work hours, a matter of careful planning how to get to and from the rift site. It is like with everything in Wurm: If you can't make it, leave it. The game is not an obligation, and there will always be another rift.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Cat 1

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

We will rage all we want. People have the right to be dissatisfied with your product and to express it. We are not required to nor should be expected to solve the problem for you. You have developers, so develop. Its what we pay for. That's a pretty dismissive attitude you got there and is not okay.

All rage aside, it is quite asinine that 3hours of a single, recurring activity is the norm, especially when the rewards are so meager. 3.5 hours would be a pretty nasty raid in WoW and you get the equivalent of Scale Sets of gear here. In comparison here you get what? Rings and shoulder pads? Most of which dont even have a use?

That's something that needs tweaking. A dragon slaying takes maybe 5 minutes at the most. Drops tomes and scale. Bones and parts. Time and effort invested is not at par with the rewards.

• Like 8