Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

WO Steam Discussion

If they are close to release... no better time than the current.. everybody's stuck at home and dumping their money on games to pass the time and random things... just throwing money through windows...

• Like 5

On 3/17/2020 at 5:28 PM, Sklo:D said:

We also shouldn't forget their are 3 companies involved, Code Club then this GameThrill company owning Wurm shares and the company which is helping releasing the game to Steam like it was back when WU was brought to steam.

Plus various other sub-companies like Amazon for server hosting and so on. My server hoster for example is already low on hardware.

So it is not a 3 man job of the hired devs. In the end we will see how this turns out I would at least expect a few weeks delay so autumn or early winter. 

There is not much which will be released on time this year.

Just some heads up, because it is quite interesting to see what Corona does even to big companies:

I wanted to start one of my cloud machines in the last minutes on Google Cloud and got the following. So when it comes to AWS and Google even they have bigger problems with Covid19 as it seems.

The zone 'projects/XXX/zones/europe-north1-a' does not have enough resources available to fulfill the request. Try a different zone, or try again later.

We are speaking of a very small machine here, nothing big.

Edited by Sklo:D

There will be a delay.

I guarantee everyone in this thread 100% 

2 hours ago, atazs said:

There will be a delay.

I guarantee everyone in this thread 100% 

Do we win something if you're wrong?

I don't think a delay will happen; even if it does, they have little reason to inform us unless it's significant considering they've not given any set day or month even.

1 hour ago, Jore said:

Do we win something if you're wrong?

I don't think a delay will happen; even if it does, they have little reason to inform us unless it's significant considering they've not given any set day or month even.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1179680/Wurm_Online/

RELEASE DATE:
6 Jun, 2006
DEVELOPER:
PUBLISHER:

• Like 1

Btw., if they release in time, that is exceptional even without the pandemia. Most software projects I experienced released in time only because the management declared them ready. I recall the release of one of the largest ERP suites which was released though the general ledger was not running due to bugs. The management trusted that the customers had to learn and to introduce a lot so that could be done after release .. In contrast, WO is running right now.

On 3/28/2020 at 5:07 AM, Jeston said:

That wasn't on the steam store a week or two ago, they just added it recently.

yes, it's a change within past month

@Ekcindepends what's in the todo list before release, or that the most important thing is to release on wurm anniversary(somebody mentioned it's than, I'm lazy tracking bds) 

Im an old player going back many years.. Over the years Ive seen Wurm transform in good ways.. Ive also seen the community transform in good ways. Its the communities that keep games going strong that last years. Im an old Ultima Online Player going back

to when it first launched, and I was an IDOC hunter, and sold Plots of Land for Castle Deeds on Ebay for hundreds, and thousands. One concept i really liked about Wurm was that RTM was allowed. As a player I just appreciated that game developers understood that as a player my time was worth money. TIme that I could have invested into another game but chose not to because of that fact. Over the course of years playing games, its not that RTM hurts games, its the bots, and duping from Illegal activity of persons who look for loop holes on how they can scam and dupe the system to gain financially. It becomes a burden on developers to create tools, or hire people to find these persons and to make the way data is handled much stronger. Its a never ending cycle, and cost alot to deal with... I dont think ending RTM will hurt Wurm in the ways most people think. Allowing RTM actually kept away the dupers, and bots for the most part since prices were controlled by the player base, and due to nature of some projects being way to hard to build to the point they chose to goto other places. Ending RTM will bring the bots, and dupers giving them reign to inflate the wurm economy  unless developers actually lock prices, and place value on items and disable account transfer of in game money. Dismantling RTM isnt really a huge issue in my mind it just takes away accountability from developers in Steams eyes. There will always be RTM in any game even when violating EUELA... Its just a stupid rule Steam cannot really control, and they want authority on it due to legal reasons, and third party agreements.

Onto Servers... Having so many servers actually hurts the game. It separates everyone, and the fall into clicks or groups while stagnating the rest who are looking to belong but who dont want to fall into that kinda drama. It was ok in the beginning when it was the first 3 kingdoms.. When had multiple servers it thinned out the population, made it much harder to get around, and more confusing as to rule sets. While not impossible to understand just very confusing to the new player and not understanding what server to choose to play on. While I support the integration to Steam, and I think it will be helpful. I disagree as to its implementation as far as servers. Its just going to make an uncorrected issue into a much bigger issue. I suggest that 1-3 large new map is made, much bigger then Xanadu, one for each Kingdom, or 1 Large map with same rule sets as Xanadu and take 3 other maps and turn them into Kingdom Maps.  Connect that to Steam, and to the rest of the community and give players options and a chance to relocate while slowly over time deleting the other servers as population declines. Im not trying to make anyone mad off by suggesting this, im just looking at it in a realistic view. People die or lose jobs, and cant afford to play for awhile, and lose everything. It happens. But over time Servers can be deleted as needed while not forcing people to pack up and leave. This over time might fix the mostly empty servers.

Additional New content. I would like to see more world interaction in the future like dungeons, reasons to explore the world, and more points of interest. Maybe even random spawns of small areas that randomly float around map popping up. This opens up more opportunities to create, and add more monsters, and creatures types to the map with a different loot drop table. After seeing so many spiders, and bears and goblins, once you seen one they all end up looking the same after seeing them 100 times. I would even suggest making certain mobs unique or rare, or even biome specific. Think in terms of Ettins, Ogres, Skeletons, Beholders, Brownies, Elf, sprites, and other exciting mythical creatures. Please do keep the Giants.  Additional types of more resources would be nice also with additional properties that differentiate from others.  Im surprised this has not been added yet. For there to be trade there needs to be content that has a rarity or frequency, and value, and a way to get it in like terms from like sources and points of interest.

Deeds, and cost need to be changed. Free Accounts no deeds, but all members have a starting deed min area for a starter build 10 x 10 area. A player shouldn't be spending $14 on game, and gangstered into another $15 on deed per month. They should have the option to realistically expand affordably.  Making it where players have to play two separate charges monthly kills the game for some people. They have to use calculators to find out whats due within their budget especially for people who play from other countries and have to convert $.. For new players its kinda confusing as well, and can scare them off.. For $30 per month I can play two other games, and have houses, and land in them and have way more content.There are games for less then $30 you pay once, and have all the land you want to build on ie Boundless....   Developers shouldn't work for free but understand how volume pricing sales works. Reasonably price your game, and people will pay... Nothing is Free in life I dont care if its free to log in the game is not free, still have to pay internet fees, and electricity so no its not free... Would be better to place a monthly price and stop saying free.. Just ends up looking like a lie. Please never go pay to win either.

The #1 reason why Wurm has not progressed in player base is its too expensive to play. Most kids dont have jobs or money like that and have to ask parents who say $30 a month... No sorry!! Most of the player base are adults for this reason. I do see some pricing has been lowered, but it would be easier to include a small plot into basic membership and keep it clear cut info. Allow them to expand after that.

The #2 reason is the way servers are handled, and the small player base.

The #3 reason is lack of content. While developers have added nice graphic content over the years  and get credit for that its not to do stuff, add zero to exploration. You have all this land and no exploration other then repeat combat with repeat mobs.

Porting to Steam without any of this is pretty much a waste of time and a slow death of a game that could have been great. People on Steam will say oh try this out its free, log in.. See all the above over time, and say bye... If bots and dupers come itll be even worse..... I do support Steam switch 100% but change needs to be made along with it.

If the developers add up every account that had been made before Steam, and ask why are they not playing now its because the above more then likely. Im sure its alot of accounts!!! So including Steam is not going to make players stay with the game.

I bet there are thousands of players who check into Wurm or the Forums periodically like myself who want to play but havent over the years for what ever reasons. So The problem is keeping players not finding them, You just need to give them a real reason to come back.

Edited by xxwoofxx
  • Like 2

Sorry, xxwoofxx, but what are you telling?

A player shouldn't be spending $14 on game, and gangstered into another $15 on deed per month

A monthly sub as premium costs 6-9$/month ca. depending on the period of subscription (I prefer 12mth sub for 5.59€/mth), and 1.10$ (1€) deed upkeep for a deed of up to 15x33 ca.

This does not take into account times where one chooses not to sub (no cost) nor the regular influx of coppers and sometimes silvers by several activities like killing mobs, burying corpses, foraging and  botanizing and so on, and not sales to settlement tokens. All that highly exceeds the 1s/month for upkeep of a "minimum" sized deed.

Either you did not visit the game for a decade, or are just talking rubbish.

• Like 2

You talk as if people are absolutely and must make their own deed.

It is completely optional. What is stopping you to join someone else’s deed? 
What is stopping you from grouping up with friends or strangers (like in a proper MMO) and making your own deed, splitting the costs?

What is stopping you from trading with others and making your money ingame, both for your deed and for premium, allowing you to play completely free?

Please consider all the available options someone has when it comes to deeds and premium 

Edited by nitram20

As the game is moving to Steam, how will alts be treated?

We are very used to having some kind of alt, either a priest or a heavy worker, and Steam usually only allows one account logged in, so how will it work?

1 hour ago, Olympian said:

As the game is moving to Steam, how will alts be treated?

We are very used to having some kind of alt, either a priest or a heavy worker, and Steam usually only allows one account logged in, so how will it work?

Think its already mentioned that one Steam account means one Wurm account.

Still hoping i can play WO and SteamWO at the same time tho.

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nordlys said:

Think its already mentioned that one Steam account means one Wurm account.

Still hoping i can play WO and SteamWO at the same time tho.

Last I heard you will be able to connect to the new "steam" server using the old client. Essentially they are adding the client to steam. 

3 minutes ago, MrJonnyboy said:

Last I heard you will be able to connect to the new "steam" server using the old client. Essentially they are adding the client to steam. 

Does that mean you can launch the game several times?

1 minute ago, Nordlys said:

Does that mean you can launch the game several times?

The steam client several times? Im not sure, between Steam's multi launching games restrictions and all. Using the old client not on steam? Should continue to work the way it does.

There is little point in using steam for wurm

The new server that will come with the Steam release will be available for everyone else, and you can play there without steam.

You will be able to launch the game several times exactly as you can now. 

tldr: Nothing changes whatsoever

Edited by nitram20

On 4/6/2020 at 9:16 AM, Olympian said:

6 June confirmed on Steam

That listing is just stating the original release date, back in 2006. It does not confirm that the steam servers will be up on June 6th, however it wouldn't surprise me if they are released as an anniversary celebration.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, nitram20 said:

There is little point in using steam for wurm

tldr: Nothing changes whatsoever

I really want to use steam, i like the platform.

13 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

I really want to use steam, i like the platform.

Then use it. 

You can already launch several WU clients at once. If that's possible, then the same thing will be possible with steam wo 

Launching Wurm Online from Steam will do exactly the same thing as launching Wurm Online from the current client. 

Edited by atazs

30 minutes ago, atazs said:

Then use it. 

You can already launch several WU clients at once. If that's possible, then the same thing will be possible with steam wo 

Launching Wurm Online from Steam will do exactly the same thing as launching Wurm Online from the current client. 

Yes.. 

Steam will cause a influx of players who will leave trash and abandoned locked stuff all over. On some servers this stuff can take literal years to decay, cannot be moved or removed, from buildings to vehicles etc. Fixing terrain damage isn't too bad, fixing people's abandoned trash that barely takes any damage in a year (at least in Xanadu) and cannot be moved, is nigh impossible.

A peri building was usually dead easily within 3 months at least the last time I nuked an 80ql abandoned building.

On Xanadu, a peri building of similar QL and same materials is still standing with <20 damage after a year. And in-before "Oh, but it's 80ql, newbies won't be able to make that": I have a locked and secured BSB on a peri for over a year @ 38QL that I can't remove either, due to the building... It has 2 dmg on it. An easily obtained QL in <7 days. - These things aren't being repaired.

I hope we get some form of resolution for this system first to avoid the headache of abandoned (now locked by default) vehicles and trash and better decay rates for unclaimed abandoned buildings such as a rusted-lock feature tide into the owners account activity.

7 minutes ago, Drathania said:

A peri building was usually dead easily within 3 months at least the last time I nuked an 80ql abandoned building.

On Xanadu, a peri building of similar QL and same materials is still standing with <20 damage after a year.

bonus damage is only if they haven't logged in for 84 days, putting it in perimeter doesn't do anything if they still play apart from prevent repairs.

• Like 3