Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

WO Steam Discussion

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 11:08 AM, Nordlys said:

League of Legends, CS:GO, SMITE, TF2 and i could go on.

The gem is Path of Exile tho. Thats a real goodie.

Now you can go try them and report back if they are free to play or not. :) 

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 10:43 AM, nekoexmachina said:

open steam, select free to play, see tons of such. most popular ones don't have PtW and have skinshops only.

I'm not sure I've ever played an MMO where you couldn't purchase an advantage or PtW .. The definition of free to play has changed over the years. Depending on how you define it, Wurm Online is F2P.

Path of Exile is a great game, however ... VERY early on into gameplay Path of Exile players will find out they're hindered by their lack of "bank" space, and must pay real currency in order to have larger storage. It may not seem like it at first, but it certainly is an advantage as hoarding good items/currencies to sell in the game is one of the fastest ways to progress in end-game. Imagine playing Wurm with nothing but a large cart and needing to pay for more space .. no type of item is "too large" for the default banking space in Path of Exile compared to a large cart, but you get the idea.

Warframe is also a great game, but you can buy the majority of rare crafting materials off the platinum (in-game premium currency) store. Advantage. Not to mention the trading of platinum for end-game blueprints you'd typically have to grind for. Platinum = WO silver.

Most (as I can't speak for all) of the other games on the Steam F2P list have some sort of premium or pay for an advantage option. Albion, Crossout, War Thunder, World of Warships, etc, ALL have premium or premium-like services for paying players. Googling "Free to play MMO" doesn't help too much either. I've never played Neverwinter or StarTrek Online, but everything from TERA, to Runescape, to EVE Online ALL have premium or pay-for-advantage services.

As far as I know there are two major ways to monetize an MMO;
1) Buying outright with no in-game monetization .. Guild Wars 1 was a good example, but even Guild Wars 2 and World of Warcraft (not classic.. yet?) have headed toward a pay-for-advantage direction.
2) F2P with in-game monetization aka paying for an advantage.
and of course many games have a hybridization of the two types such as Black Desert.

Just my 0.02

Edit: I also want to add that I think games in general are pretty fairly priced. I'll continue paying for these products because I enjoy them. Only meant to share my experiences with these other games to quell any potential for misinformation! 😅

Edited by Raix
  • Like 2

With the new Steam client, will current servers be visible for new players to join the same way as the fresh Steam server? 

In other words, if a first time player installs Wurm via Steam, are they automatically sent to the new server, or do they have a (relatively visible) option to choose the spawn in Independence?

42 minutes ago, Shmeric said:

With the new Steam client, will current servers be visible for new players to join the same way as the fresh Steam server? 

In other words, if a first time player installs Wurm via Steam, are they automatically sent to the new server, or do they have a (relatively visible) option to choose the spawn in Independence?

This was touched upon in the RMT announcement

On 1/31/2020 at 9:24 PM, Retrograde said:

Steam server connections
These changes allow us to announce something else we have been working towards, and that is how the Steam servers will integrate with our existing servers. 
The Steam servers and the regular Wurm Online servers will be available via BOTH clients, and simply be disconnected via mail and travel. 

This will mean that all servers can be accessed from Steam, as well as the Steam servers accessible via the regular client. This will still require separate accounts.

Ah, thank you Flubb. I knew I saw it somewhere, but didn't exactly find it again.

I'm asking because, well, kind of wondering, whether the Steam server will be promoted as "recommended for you!" for the new player, or does the old world get equal chance.

I hope there's at least some kind of introduction what to expect in both. Some may look for a fresh map, but there are definitely players who would be more intrigued by infrastructures and communities already established; to explore the old monuments and landmarks, not to mention archaeology which in new server will be.. um.. You can't find any traces of any abandoned settlements here.

So as many current WO players are looking to start over in the new map, I'm hoping to see new players join our current servers as well.

On 3/9/2020 at 5:59 AM, Raix said:

Path of Exile is a great game, however ... VERY early on into gameplay Path of Exile players will find out they're hindered by their lack of "bank" space, and must pay real currency in order to have larger storage. It may not seem like it at first, but it certainly is an advantage as hoarding good items/currencies to sell in the game is one of the fastest ways to progress in end-game. Imagine playing Wurm with nothing but a large cart and needing to pay for more space .. no type of item is "too large" for the default banking space in Path of Exile compared to a large cart, but you get the idea.

I just wanna comment on this as although yes you can be lazy and buy the stash pages the currency one the fragments and maps and unique ones and so on but total cost if bought if at sale is quite low the bare min to have an easier time sorting your content is 225 coins while not at sale or 180 if a sale is on(which happens often) and that equates to 22 bucks or 18 bucks and that gets you the map and currency tabs or go for 260 and get 1 prem stash tab to setup for your sell page

But if you are smart you can use the 6 non prem tabs all the way and never buy a tab if you dont stack uniques and convert everything to currency items and keep the main crafting ones on you(which a lot do anyway) but anyway 1 tab for currency and convert everything to chaos orbs unless you need to craft something
1 tab for build unique's for your current or future build
2 tabs for maps(1 low tier 1 high)
And last 2 tabs for chaos recipe's(all yellow items get entire set together sell for a chaos orb)

So if you sit down to learn how to manage your stash like you do with everything else in poe and take the time to learn to be efficient you end up at a point where you really dont need premium stash tabs to store all that junk in or delve stash tab to store your fossils in

Now i am guilty of buying every tab and a premium stash tab bundle because i like my organizing but when a new league starts in poe i am on it for like 8 hours+ a day i push to end game in first week and i optimize my farming experience a lot so i want to have that quad stash tab where i can dump everything in(or now multiple) during my stash tab full of prepared maps so that i can grab map run it dump everything grab next map and then once done with all the maps use exilence to check my total income of those 2 stash tabs and then spend 20 min selling and organizing everything and then logging off as its been 7-8 hours of playing
But if you play poe casually and dont want to ever invest money you never ever have to and can still enjoy it(i didnt until my 4th league when i got really hooked on the game instead of just casually playing it)

I am just a bit sad that league and tf2 have cost me so much over the years then again so has wurm and wurm has cost me way way way more then any other game or even several games combined D': i calculated my premium time bought at one point and it was a scary figure add in total amount of silver bought from the store and hey who wants to buy a new car its kinda sad but "f2p" games especially good ones end up costing me so much money when its purely cosmetic where as the ones that have actual p2w mechanics(buy xp buy loot and what not) i never ever want to buy anything in and the most id spend on 1 of those is like 10-20 bucks total if i really get into it kinda interesting to think about

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ruiner said:

So when is wo steam supposed to go live??

Steam page says Mid 2020, so probably 3+ months left. Get out there and tell your friends while ya wait! (I hope to god they don't just rely on word of mouth for advertisement again...)

10 hours ago, Ruiner said:

So when is wo steam supposed to go live??

According to @Retrograde, in some post in some thread, mid 2020 is Q2. If thats changed by now, i dont know. :)

Im on the phone so wont do the dirty work of searching and quoting.

51 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

According to @Retrograde, in some post in some thread, mid 2020 is Q2. If thats changed by now, i dont know. :)

Im on the phone so wont do the dirty work of searching and quoting.

Now with the COVID situation I doubt that the release date can be fulfilled. So I wouldn't expect anything before October

Edited by Sklo:D

1 hour ago, Sklo:D said:

Now with the COVID situation I doubt that the release date can be fulfilled. So I wouldn't expect anything before October

As the infection is not transferred over the internet, I fail to see any need for that. At least not as long as the dev team stays healthy.

16 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

As the infection is not transferred over the internet, I fail to see any need for that. At least not as long as the dev team stays healthy.

If there is nobody working on the release anymore the date can not be fulfilled.

Whole countries are shutting down, borders are closed and workers are sent home in many cases, we will see how far that goes. For example I have been adviced to work in home office. My company postponed all open projects. My university is completly closed.

This is having impacts on everything a possible financial crisis is on the way creating new challenges for many companies.

18 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

workers are sent home in many cases,

and programmers are among the first who are professionally unaffected by this as they can usually work from home. I'm amazed this you of all people seem to miss this.

Wether CCAB's internal organisation allows for this or not, I'll take from them if they come out and say "We cannot continue", but from what I understand they are widely cooperation via internet already. Are there even fixed offices they'd have to go to?

I suspect you haven't taken into account at least some of the following:

1) People working from home can still become ill or have a need to take care of sick family members

2) While many teams work from home (I lead cross-continental teams) the scale of how many people are working from home is likely to be several orders of magnitude above normal operation for the internet. It will not surprise me to find the internet overwhelmed or very slow performing

3) Video solutions like Zoom, Skype etc are likely to have performance problems as the number of people using their services increases significantly (where before 8 people may have been in a meeting room together, now it's 8 separate sessions for example)

4) Working remotely effectively takes some practice. If the dev teams don't already work remotely then just the act of working remotely will have a learning curve if the team wants to be high performing. Of course the other 3 points are likely to have significant impact on this anyway.

While people have worked from home on an ever increasing scale the change we are going through is much bigger then anyone has likely really planned for when planning their infrastructure. This, coupled with illness, is likely going to have a massive impact.

On top of all of that, think about economic disruption. Factories shut down, people can't go out to shop, delivery services are likely to be curtailed all of which means companies aren't making money to use to pay people. People aren't making money. Net result = very dangerous times ahead and at least for me, Wurm shipping to steam ontime is likely a luxury concern. I would rather people keep themselves safe and healthy. Wurm can come later.

~Nappy

CCAB is not a large company, and not a car factory or a theatre. Of course, if one or more of the dev and orga team fall seriously ill and are unavailable for weeks, work will be affected, also when the same occurs to partners, children, parents etc. So I do not deny risks, but contradict the apodictic assertion that the launch has to be postponed.

Certainly, if the pandemia affects infrastructure such as electricity and the internet, it could look not so good. That cannot be ruled out, but is not to be seen at the moment. It did not happen in China and Korea, nor in any other country so far.

Even if you feel the widespread panic is blown way out of proportion, the expectation that they'll prioritize further development of anyone's gaming pleasure over pretty much any of the above is assinine. We can wait. Deadlines won't matter whatsoever if an actual death occurs.

As someone who leads teams development teams professionally there are many considerations around how to meet a "date". Sometimes it involves cutting/changing features so you aren't necessarily wrong. 

I think the human complexities this time around will quickly over ride the importance of meeting this particular date. Hopefully I am wrong and everyone pulls through fine.

~Nappy

I wasn't trying to paint a picture where the Covid-19 situation will just fly by CCAB like it's nothing, I think it'll get worse before it'll get better, and nobody expects them to work against their own health. The main point was that they'll likely not be immediately affected, and if they are, they can come out and say so themselves, rather than us going off on speculative tangents with varying degrees of logical merit.

• Like 5

The thing is we are already speaking of the biggest emergency situation since World War II in many european countries.

Currently the virus is exploding and many countries still have not taken enough actions against it, so it will continue to explode for some time.

Atm you can't expect anything to happen as scheduled, most if not every company in europe and asia will be affected and likely also the US. If things are serious people take care about their own stuff and family and don't care about work, nobody of us would do it differently.

R3MaRSy.png

Rest assured, we're still all working from home and are quite used to it, work continues as planned. 

• Like 8

It isn't like working from home is a new thing, I'm sure they will cope, not everyone needs a communal office to be functional.

My hope is that the Covid-19 pandemic will force those companies who have traditionally always seen working from home in a negative way to re-evalute and set themselves up to make it work.

Of course, there are some jobs that simply cannot be done at home, but there are equally a lot that can be done from home if companies actually put the effort in to support it.

• Like 2

I dont think Wurm devs could work collectively in the same office. If they are anything like the players, they'd kill each other over the last donut left on the break room.

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

We also shouldn't forget their are 3 companies involved, Code Club then this GameThrill company owning Wurm shares and the company which is helping releasing the game to Steam like it was back when WU was brought to steam.

Plus various other sub-companies like Amazon for server hosting and so on. My server hoster for example is already low on hardware.

So it is not a 3 man job of the hired devs. In the end we will see how this turns out I would at least expect a few weeks delay so autumn or early winter. 

There is not much which will be released on time this year.

so do we have any idea when the new server will come?

make fun of me for not reading 30 pages of forums if its already answered 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stickher said:

Retro said "work continues as planned" so I would take that to mean that nothing has changed and a 2nd quarter release date is still the target.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stickher said:

Q2 (mid 2020) - as i havent seen any other statement. :P