Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

WO Steam Discussion

5 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

If we are also considering that nowadays most online games are free unless you want some fancy skins or other fancy optional items. 

Most games? Please name 3 games that are free to play, have no premium version of their accounts and that the only things money can buy you is "a few skins and some optional items".

Nearly all free to play games have a monthly subscription model that greatly limits your game experience unless you pay, or sell pay to win items for real money, or even both. And what is the cost of the monthly subscription? That's right, twice or more the cost of a single month in Wurm.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

With the wording "deed it or loose it" often mentioned by various GMs and DEVs I heavily doubt that they will help you if someone puts a deed into your garden.

On your "garden"? Probably not. With their deed/perimeter on top of your house and your reasonably sized fenced attached area? They will and they have.

12 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Please name 3 games that are free to play, have no premium version of their accounts and that the only things money can buy you is "a few skins and some optional items".

open steam, select free to play, see tons of such. most popular ones don't have PtW and have skinshops only.

4 minutes ago, nekoexmachina said:

open steam, select free to play, see tons of such. most popular ones don't have PtW and have skinshops only.

That's not a name. Nor are most of those mmos 

Just now, Angelklaine said:

That's not a name. Nor are most of those mmos 

One can deduce name from the steps I've described, also one can filter by "mmorpg"

8 minutes ago, nekoexmachina said:

One can deduce name from the steps I've described, also one can filter by "mmorpg"

All I see there are games like Walking Simulator and Strongholds HD, which don't prove your point. So I am going to go with you cant name any.

35 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Please name 3 games that are free to play, have no premium version of their accounts and that the only things money can buy you is "a few skins and some optional items".

League of Legends, CS:GO, SMITE, TF2 and i could go on.

The gem is Path of Exile tho. Thats a real goodie.

Now you can go try them and report back if they are free to play or not. :) 

16 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Aren't those all fighting games? Not really anything like Wurm. 

6 minutes ago, NeeNee said:

Not really anything like Wurm. 

I'd argue there isnt anything like wurm at all, but eh

12 minutes ago, nekoexmachina said:

I'd argue there isnt anything like wurm at all, but eh

There really isn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeeNee said:

Aren't those all fighting games? Not really anything like Wurm. 

That wasnt a criteria either. There are a few free to play open world mmos on steam also if you look around abit, but still havent found anything like WO. :)

2 hours ago, Nordlys said:

2 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Most games? Please name 3 games that are free to play, have no premium version of their accounts and that the only things money can buy you is "a few skins and some optional items".

Nearly all free to play games have a monthly subscription model that greatly limits your game experience unless you pay, or sell pay to win items for real money, or even both. And what is the cost of the monthly subscription? That's right, twice or more the cost of a single month in Wurm.

None of those games are mmos. They are strategy, shooters, etc. The one closest is PoE and that is arguably close to an mmo, but in reality its just a multiplayer hack and slash game. 

If you are trying to compare shooters, strategy and hack and slash games to Wurm just to argue your point you are reaching and you know it. Wurm is a fantasy MMORPG that is nowhere near what any of those games are and you can't really compare their business models to Wurm because they are a completely different game genre.

You could argue a game like Warframe is too, but is not. Shooters and other instanced games have a monetization system where cosmetics alone work because that is the whole point. The only thing that sets you apart from the masses is the looks of your character. No one plays Wurm Online for looks. If WO was to go fully free to play and live off skins no one would buy the skins and the game would die because Wurm is much more than just your character looks. Hell, most of us have gone years wearing the same leather armor without chaging it. I don't know about you but I rather pay 6 euros a month to ensure that my main entertainment source keeps going and being developed.

• Like 3

I answered just what you asked for. And please read through the comments before you quickly make another post. :)

57 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

That wasnt a criteria either. There are a few free to play open world mmos on steam also if you look around abit, but still havent found anything like WO. :)

Edit:

Oh and btw, i dont play WO just for looks ofcourse. But i have spent maybe 2-300s just to try out different looks in WO. Thats the beauty with Wurm - no one can decide what others find interesting about it.

7 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

No one plays Wurm Online for looks.

Edited by Nordlys

10 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Oh and btw, i dont play WO just for looks ofcourse. But i have spent maybe 2-300s just to try out different looks in WO. Thats the beauty with Wurm - no one can decide what others find interesting about it.

Yes but the biggest issue was that all that money was not going to the developers, it was going to some random dude's wallet. 

Wurm doesn't have a cash shop other than silver. You can't pay 300 bucks and buy credits and use those credits to get yourself skins and better looks or pay to win gear or the like. Sure, you now could spend 150e to get enough marks for a Magical chest or about 200e for a random trash tome. But is that realistic? 

The business model is way different, and personally I like the feeling that I could go the rest of my Wurm career paying 6e a month and I'll get anything that I want if I work hard for it, versus having to spend 1,000 euros on some f2p game to have a badass looking armor which will be out of style or obsolete in three months.

But to each their own.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

None of those games are mmos.

A massively multiplayer online game (MMOG, or more commonly, MMO) is an online game with large numbers of players, typically from hundreds to thousands

most of those games fit the definition better then some wurm servers do.

Just now, nekoexmachina said:

most of those games fit the definition better then some wurm servers do.

Yes, I am sure that CS:GO is a perfect comparison to Wurm Online. If you put them side by side, they are nearly identical.

11 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

If you put them side by side, they are nearly identical.

if you'd take a moment to open a screenshot i've provided.. but nah, it totally would defeat your talking point, so why bother.

edit: to be clear, i dont mind paying sub when i play wo (not full year). though to say that there are no f2p mmo's  without p2w is just bollocks.

Edited by nekoexmachina

27 minutes ago, nekoexmachina said:

To be clear, i dont mind paying sub when i play wo (not full year). though to say that there are no f2p mmo's  without p2w is just bollocks.

Never said there are no f2p mmos without p2w. There should be a few. But they have either a p2w model or they have loot boxes, or they have a fully loaded cash shop for you to partake from. Games that are completely free without any of these are usually b2p, and those who have none (think Warframe) are incredible repetitive gind fests with the option of bypassing the grind by spending money. 

Every game there is intended to be monetized because that is the whole point of a video game company: to make money. They have to pay for development and research and future updates. If its a live service, it will charge money.

Wurm maybe doesnt have the best monetization system out there. That is not the point. The point is people want free deeds, no p2w and no monthly subscription. Im sure that if Wurm started selling Scale Sets, Drake Sets, Tomes, 99 ql gear, oils of 100ql imping, skill gain multipliers and more on a cash shop, people would loose their ######.

Currently WO has the cheapest premium subscription of its class in the market today, and people complain about it. That's my point.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

are incredible repetitive gind fests with the option of bypassing the grind by spending money. 

tbh this describes wurm quite accurately. not "bypass" but sleeppowder, but eh, same thing in the essence.

3 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Have you looked at the suggestions forum? It would certainly seem that people do. (I can't fathom why, but they do)

11 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Actually have you seen the fashion shows that happen twice a year?  how uncivilized ;)

I have in the past spend well over 400 euro's worth of silver and other items in order to make a certain look work properly there are a more then a handful of people who slave away skilling and then use the money made from their efforts to look fancy

witch cap+black/purple drake(or scale if you got the money)+ staff riding on a back horse/dark hell horse/black pmk wagon showing up somewhere just to unload a metric ton of goods to sell to someone and you always end up with a "ohh you look nice and fancy" now for 15s you can get a golden mirror and change the way you look depending on the day ;) there are plenty of cosmetic things that people want being added to wurm that serve no purpose other then looks

yet most of us still dont play it for looking the most realistic and what not but just to have a fun time and part of that is dressing up in goofy clothing

2 minutes ago, wipeout said:

Actually have you seen the fashion shows that happen twice a year?  how uncivilized ;)

I have in the past spend well over 400 euro's worth of silver and other items in order to make a certain look work properly there are a more then a handful of people who slave away skilling and then use the money made from their efforts to look fancy

witch cap+black/purple drake(or scale if you got the money)+ staff riding on a back horse/dark hell horse/black pmk wagon showing up somewhere just to unload a metric ton of goods to sell to someone and you always end up with a "ohh you look nice and fancy" now for 15s you can get a golden mirror and change the way you look depending on the day ;) there are plenty of cosmetic things that people want being added to wurm that serve no purpose other then looks

yet most of us still dont play it for looking the most realistic and what not but just to have a fun time and part of that is dressing up in goofy clothing

I think you are missing the point, but sure.

There is a MMO around which is in many points similar to Wurm and also has failed while it had really good graphics, so appearance is by far not everything but of course something people are looking for.

In the end that other MMO has failed because it wanted to be super realisitc everything took ages...

Edited by Sklo:D