Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

WO Steam Discussion

5 hours ago, kochinac said:

This is mostly in people heads. What helped me to not have feeling to waste time while not playing is to buy premium for year and not think about it. However if you want alts this approach gets kinda expensive...

I do the same, and this indeed works great. I don't mind taking breaks at all and the breaks don't feel like a waste.

6 hours ago, atazs said:

Features are never finished, or really fleshed out, and they are just putting bandaids onto the game. They abandoned WU and didnt put out in the newer updates, Rifts, etc... because they wanted people to play WO, and because WU wasn't and isn't generating enough income for their liking.  

Almost as if they were running a business instead of a charity.  Imagine, prioritising being able to make a profit and ditching things that don't.

I am looking forward to giving WO(steam) a comprehensive review on Steam. Best of luck with the launch.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

3 minutes ago, Nappy said:

I am looking forward to giving WO(steam) a comprehensive review on Steam. Best of luck with the launch.

That has always been an issue with a large part of the PvP player base, they don't care about the game's interest as a whole, and they have too high thinking of their own selfimportance.

You haven't been around Steam enough if you think your review will have any kind of influence on future playerbase on Steam.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wonka said:

Almost as if they were running a business instead of a charity.  Imagine, prioritising being able to make a profit and ditching things that don't.

The way that player to player RMT is still a thing makes one wonder at times.... 

4 minutes ago, Mordraug said:

The way that player to player RMT is still a thing makes one wonder at times.... 

Thats easily removed by Valve. :) 

1 hour ago, Makkhoi said:

That has always been an issue with a large part of the PvP player base, they don't care about the game's interest as a whole, and they have too high thinking of their own selfimportance.

You haven't been around Steam enough if you think your review will have any kind of influence on future playerbase on Steam.

Wow, a whole bunch of assumptions there. 

I prefer to think that everyone's vote has some impact. I guess some people prefer to make less informed purchases then others.

And pvp? Where did that come from? I spent years and years playing PVE both before and after PVP so I don't think of myself as just a PVP player nor a PVE player. I do like to play Wurm from time to time.

Perhaps you could share some of your Wurm related work with us since you appear to be criticizing others. I don't recall seeing your name anywhere, PVE or PVP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Makkhoi said:

You havent been around enough if you think reviews dont have any kind of influence on future playerbases of any Steam game.

There has been many potentially good games fall because of bad reviews. I for once rate the games after my impression of the game tho, and statisticly i would say i like WO. If SteamWO is the same as WO i would probably rate it positive. There will be negative revoews also - lets just hope the positive beats the negative. :)

33 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

You havent been around enough if you think reviews dont have any kind of influence on future playerbases of any Steam game.

There has been many potentially good games fall because of bad reviews. I for once rate the games after my impression of the game tho, and statisticly i would say i like WO. If SteamWO is the same as WO i would probably rate it positive. There will be negative revoews also - lets just hope the positive beats the negative. :)

I predict a lot of negative reviews that claim "pay-to-win" because of deeds and non-prem skill caps while the game is advertised as free-to-play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beanbag said:

I predict a lot of negative reviews that claim "pay-to-win" because of deeds and non-prem skill caps while the game is advertised as free-to-play.

Doesn't "pay-to-win" moniker refer to something else, though? I was under the impression that "pay-to-win" was a system of micro-transactions where you can buy different things in game that are better than what you can get from loot. Our system is just a premium system, where you need to pay full price to access the entire product.

I may be splitting peas, though :)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Valdor said:

Doesn't "pay-to-win" moniker refer to something else, though? I was under the impression that "pay-to-win" was a system of micro-transactions where you can buy different things in game that are better than what you can get from loot. Our system is just a premium system, where you need to pay full price to access the entire product.

I may be splitting peas, though :)

I was going to say, this is my understanding of p2w too.  Wurm is free to play, in the same way as any number of f2p games are - you just don't get access to all the content without paying.

Game isn't pay to win per se.

But it does offer an indirect route to gain In-game bonuses and items through using RL money. Which in itself becomes "pay to have an advantage, but the devs don't really win any $ out of it". Whereas somemmos outright ban using RL money to buy in game currency, wurm openly offers such an option due to its game design. Silvers = deed up keep and market value.

Realistically, as someone who considers himself a wurmian (played both Pvp servers and pve) I can without a doubt say that someone with a lot of cash can buy a good account, moon gear or dragon armor, tomes and such and gain a huge advantage over a player who would only pay for his subscription. Many a time I've seen people offering to buy moon metals, serryl armors, tomes, etc. I've seen them pvp and have an advantage over others. I've seen it being a huge demoralizing factor in pvp when most of us in MR at one point only had plate and we had fellows from Elevation coming over decked in full moon gear and we just didn't stand a chance against that.

The counter argument most people would invoke is that : yes but he bought some items through the ingame market, which is normal, every game has an ingame market. And normally I'd agree would you. Again, this is an indirect form of paying to have an advantage.

Sad part is, besides some wealthy people having an obvious advantage, CC still won't necesarily make a lot of money from them, even if in some other games they would be called "whales". A lot of transactions don't even happen in game, they happen through Paypal or bank transfers. CC doesn't see a dime from it. There's a sort of pay to win aspect, but the company itself isn't the one getting paid. Wurm is a very strange hybrid when it comes to economics.

But i can see that most people on their first impressions will see the "trade chat" and think : Oh 2 silvers for a 90 ql rare mallet? Alright. How do I get silvers? Do I quest for it? Oh...you mean it's actually worth 2 euros...wait a sec...so many advantages in this game are bought with outright RL money. Do I pay the developrs for the item? Oh just the player?  "

I can understand some will probably equate wurm with being pay to win since you can quickly make the association of RL money = in game currency = items that give advantages.

Wurm is cheap by subscription, but it does have aditional costs if you aren't self sufficient. And I doubt there are many in game that are 100% self suficient without using alts. I am just worried many people will instantly mark WO as a pay to win MMO and quit in the first few days because there aren't many things to keep you hooked once people hit the "grind reality" of wurm online.

• Like 1

The point is to be honest about what the game is or it will bomb hard. It's primarily a subscription based game with a skill capped trial option. 

I fully understand that at least some responses, if not the next ones, are going to be "That IS free to play!" but that's not the truth of the game. 

Edited by Beanbag
Too antagonistic
  • Like 1

I don't think this is going to change.  If they don't advertise Wurm as "free to play", then there goes a large portion of the new playerbase.

Whether or not you consider Wurm "free" is debatable, but if I were an outsider looking in, I would definitely consider this game "pay to play", maybe not "pay to win" because that's a much more loosely defined term.

For example, someone could label Wurm as "pay to win" because they PvP'd and died to 5 guys in scale.  Like many frredomers wrongfully assume that 5 people paid 300 euros each to win PVP, such is not the case...they probably killed someone for it.  Just like I killed someone for my Drake set (thanks again MR :)

Will the new Steam environment have an equivalent to Chaos along with the pve servers? Or will all pvp happen through Epic portals?

1 hour ago, Arimus said:

Will the new Steam environment have an equivalent to Chaos along with the pve servers? Or will all pvp happen through Epic portals?

afaik from what was released so far.. there will be only 2 servers..at start... pvp and pve... I'd guess both will be connected like freedom+chaos

But who knows..

Just a random opinion..

Spoiler

Although.... as it is.. it's pointless to have a split time for the servers... and all servers could be just merged at start... and just have training area and all that is now as starting spot on indy.. moved to the new server/s.. so new kids can just join the game and trash the newest "indy"/"xana" or w/e sized new server.. instead of spaghetty-ing indy's mines and digging/deforesting all over indy.. turning it to flat-earth..

Just imho it wont be any difference if things just merge together.. old cluster is just dead if it's left as it is... and new server could become new main cluster eventually forcing staff to close old servers if they aren't straight away linked.. the whatever difference there was.. is now gone, and good bit of population already packed their bags and left the game or prepare to leave old cluster and move to steam server/s once they open... 

Edited by Finnn

I for one think Steam will bring back a new player base if the game is properly advertised on Steam. There are many ways to feature a game on the Steam client and many tricks and tips that the Community Managers can use to spread the word and showcase our game. 

At the very least I expect there to be an initial rush as many new players try the game to see what it is about. If proper changes are made (Tutorial, UI, mechanic changes) and implemented before the Steam release, it may attract a playerbase. The biggest issue I feel Wurm has is no one knows about it. I mean, I found out about Wurm by word of mouth, and that is no way to run an mmo.

Once the initial rush dies down, who knows. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 9:51 PM, Angelklaine said:

I for one think Steam will bring back a new player base if the game is properly advertised on Steam. There are many ways to feature a game on the Steam client and many tricks and tips that the Community Managers can use to spread the word and showcase our game. 

At the very least I expect there to be an initial rush as many new players try the game to see what it is about. If proper changes are made (Tutorial, UI, mechanic changes) and implemented before the Steam release, it may attract a playerbase. The biggest issue I feel Wurm has is no one knows about it. I mean, I found out about Wurm by word of mouth, and that is no way to run an mmo.

Once the initial rush dies down, who knows. 

Willing to bet lots of old older players who were not happy with all the account trading sharing and selling will be back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeston said:

Willing to bet lots of old older players who were not happy with all the account trading sharing and selling will be back.

For one, yes. But those arent as many as you may think. Most people who have left wasnt for RMT. In fact, very few if any are because RMT has been in the game since its inception, so people knew what they were getting into when they joined. 

I think the reason others will join is more to ease of access and availability than anything else. Steam has a huge following and many people will see "mmo" and give Wurm a try. We will get a lot of tourists, sure, but some will come to enjoy it. We'll see.

I honestly dont know where to begin.

You keep using the phrase "if thousands of players"

I dont think thousands of players are gonna join a game that has an over priced subscription fee even if the game is addictive. I mean why join this when there are multiple other "cheaper games" out there.

You talk about fracturing the player base yet all ur "expansions" evolve around this - releasing new maps.

Your not paying staff and you 'hope' if steam goes well other older staff might see this.

To me, this is another cash grab since WU dwindled.

What ever happened to the Rolf that said on JK home - Don't worry I'll be back soon.

Since then all we got is meditation, Home server raiding, multiple server releases, Epic which was later a merge to existing cluster.

I mean what even happened to the Rolf that sat in Eve online and spoke with Notch about - hey lets create a game were passionate about, Does this guy even exist anymore or is this a purely economic move?

Please please bring back the Rolf that loved wurm cause it seems like this guy posting aint him.

I'm still waiting for Mojang presents: Wurmonline....that game.

57 minutes ago, Deth said:

I honestly dont know where to begin.

You keep using the phrase "if thousands of players"

I dont think thousands of players are gonna join a game that has an over priced subscription fee even if the game is addictive.

Did you miss the news from earlier these year where they slashed those prices? Premium prices are now as low as 5.60 euro a month.

16 minutes ago, Ecrir said:

Did you miss the news from earlier these year where they slashed those prices? Premium prices are now as low as 5.60 euro a month.

Which is still horrible overpriced though... Considering you still need to pay for your deed and to get good tools if you don't want to spend most of your time grinding and failing. I am sceptical that the price decrease is attracting players, if we are also considering that nowadays most online games are free unless you want some fancy skins or other fancy optional items. In Wurm the problem is you still need to pay monthly for having basic things like deeds and skills above 20.

Edited by Sklo:D

You don't really need to deed a place. If you build a house in the middle of nowhere, a player cannot deed over your house if he doesn't own it.

GMS can always be called upon to investigate cases of "deed griefing" where a player purposely deeds an area just to mess with another player. The cost of a deed is an optional one. Yes it does provide benefits, but in no way is it a requirement to enjoy the game.

You could always build a small mine fortress in a mountain without deeding it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, elentari said:

You don't really need to deed a place. If you build a house in the middle of nowhere, a player cannot deed over your house if he doesn't own it.

GMS can always be called upon to investigate cases of "deed griefing" where a player purposely deeds an area just to mess with another player. The cost of a deed is an optional one. Yes it does provide benefits, but in no way is it a requirement to enjoy the game.

You could always build a small mine fortress in a mountain without deeding it.

With the wording "deed it or loose it" often mentioned by various GMs and DEVs I heavily doubt that they will help you if someone puts a deed into your garden.

1 hour ago, Sklo:D said:

Which is still horrible overpriced though... Considering you still need to pay for your deed and to get good tools if you don't want to spend most of your time grinding and failing. I am sceptical that the price decrease is attracting players, if we are also considering that nowadays most online games are free unless you want some fancy skins or other fancy optional items. In Wurm the problem is you still need to pay monthly for having basic things like deeds and skills above 20.

It is ridiculous to call overpriced even the previous pricing of 80€/yr. And honestly, I never paid a cent of real money for maintaining my deeds (btw., upkeep has dropped too as it is for 30 days now instead of 28). For a basic sized deed of up to 1s daily upkeep was 3.6c and is 3.3c now. Even a casual player can "earn" more ingame money in less than half an hour, and even spending 12€/yr for a basic upkeep deed is not overpriced or pressing.

And yes, I know that now the litany comes that you need at least a 100x100 deed,  better two of them, 3 permanently premmed priests in addition to your main character, enchanted scale set and weapons ql95, and tools of the same quality and boosts, "basic things", so to say. 

And as to "deed it or lose it", as far as it means keeping your belongings safe, it is reasonable. As an excuse for stealing and harrassment, it is not, and is widely frowned upon.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1