Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

WO Steam Discussion

6 minutes ago, Finnn said:

There will always be somebody with better skills than you or having several characters being able to do what you alone can do. Normal in mmos, in wurm it just takes alts to compensate the time and fatigue limits.

All you need is the knowledge how to grind.. rest is.. doing it on your own or account sharing, not sure if steam allows that.. but it will be still done.. by some merchants to reach the goals of being 1st to sell 'decent high ql items'.

All in all in 2-3 months none of that will matter and you can be on/near top on your own, if not.. well you missed some hype wagon and knowledge or.. RL have that rope tight around your hands unable to play that much.

Steam blah.. idea there is to get new players not to ***** the existing cluster/s and build a new kingdom at Gaben's platform. Hopefully Gaben land is a good lifeboat for fresh income, and actual initial idea eventually goes as planned.. wtf happens.. will happen anyway.. pointless to speculate.. time will tell the one story.

Well..  thanks Finn.  You just shat all over my fairy-tale version of me telling myself it will all be ok and I'll still amount to something in Wurm's Steam version.  Sighhh....

27 minutes ago, Actuarius said:

Well..  thanks Finn.  You just shat all over my fairy-tale version of me telling myself it will all be ok and I'll still amount to something in Wurm's Steam version.  Sighhh....

You absolutely can still amount to something. Here's the trick:

Don't be a person who needs to be THE best at something.

Be cool, don't be the kind of person who fearmongers alt use or some doomsayer of every possible thing that's done to the game.

Do things at your own pace and own leasure. If you hit the game too hard, you'll fizzle out.

My account isn't special at all. It's not even impressive in the slighest. Yet people still think I'm some high skill player or some people know who I am.

If you can be a good person, if you can help others when you can, no matter how big or small the task, you'll get far in the game. Be part of the playerbase that helps others and doesn't just talk utter trash, and you will go far.

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 7

26 minutes ago, Madnath said:

You absolutely can still amount to something. Here's the trick:

Don't be a person who needs to be THE best at something.

Be cool, don't be the kind of person who fearmongers alt use or some doomsayer of every possible thing that's done to the game.

Do things at your own pace and own leasure. If you hit the game too hard, you'll fizzle out.

My account isn't special at all. It's not even impressive in the slighest. Yet people still think I'm some high skill player or some people know who I am.

If you can be a good person, if you can help others when you can, no matter how big or small the task, you'll get far in the game. Be part of the playerbase that helps others and doesn't just talk utter trash, and you will go far.

lol.  thanks mate.  Didnt really expect a reply - just grumbling over the Steam announcement.  Have friends on the edge of joining the game but are hesitant due to the Steam release possibly pulling the pop from existing servers.  Its a bit frustrating.  

No better time to start than now.. if it fails or succeeds you'll still have the same amount of fun before whatever happens.

If you had carebear friends.. could just WU it.. if you want to do the mmo version.. start here now.. see how much you can get in a month.. toss a few coins for a deed and hybernate characters if steam is of interest for you.. but nothing stops you to world dominate the market on both versions of the game if that is your goal.

..Well it's an mmo after all.. fight all the small demons that come with it.

2 minutes ago, Finnn said:

No better time to start than now.. if it fails or succeeds you'll still have the same amount of fun before whatever happens.

If you had carebear friends.. could just WU it.. if you want to do the mmo version.. start here now.. see how much you can get in a month.. toss a few coins for a deed and hybernate characters if steam is of interest for you.. but nothing stops you to world dominate the market on both versions of the game if that is your goal.

..Well it's an mmo after all.. fight all the small demons that come with it.

Id say..  they are more PVP-light oriented.  i.e. fear of full loot loss gets the ticker going.  Will the Steam WO release be multi-island where kvk or pvp exists?  I wish Wurm had more integration between the PVP and PVE clusters where certain resources existed in the PVP lands and vice-versa.  Lure over PVE Wurmians for get rich plunder in a dangerous land.   Of course it never works out that way you just end up dying, but trying is half the fun.  Wait..  If one dies on Chaos kingdom-less, what happens?  How the hell do you get back to the other Freedom Isles?  Do you spawn somewhere on Chaos and just get spawn-killed over and over?  I never really thought this through but not sure of the game mechanics.  No need to answer here, needs a different thread for a different forum.   We can keep this the place where tears fall over the Steam release.

You have the special rare/special resources @pvp lands with moon metal veins/events for lumps on chaos. What happens on epic stays on epic(nobody ever talks about it.. it's like vegas.. it's either a killer party or everybody's dead, we'll never know, forum's silent about events over there)

Rather not comment on rich plunders and pvp in general.. not my thing at least not in wurm. (I DO NOT mind pvp at all, just the way it's in wurm.)

No steam tears, lets just tickle gaben's belly with some wurm money, well I'll pass on that.. but wagon of willing to try the steam release seems big enough to have good amount of people trying the new servers.

About.. pvp/pve.. not sure if devs said anything about crossing, almost sure I've only read that there will be both pvp and pve server, BUT not sure if there will be crossing between the two, small details but.. you know, it's all in the details..(could be me forgetting that part)

see it this way actuarius get your friends to join now they have about a bit more then half a year to get the hang of the game make the mistakes learn wurm the slow way and if they are still around in half a year and enjoy the game a lot and want to "do things the right way" there is the steam wo release with a possibility of a bigger userbase(doubt it will be that much though) and then they can pick either stay where they started or go to steam or do both(like im gonna do)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Actuarius said:

Id say..  they are more PVP-light oriented.  i.e. fear of full loot loss gets the ticker going.

Send them to Epic, it's fast skillgain and we need more players :D

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 9:36 PM, Mowglia said:

Send them to Epic, it's fast skillgain and we need more players :D

Mowglia - Whos on Epic?  As far as I can tell, its you, Lowborn, and..  a few sheep?  At least your not lonely..  who else is on Epic?  sound off yeah?

But yes, Epic DOES sound fun.  I should really head over there.  But know this, I'm a bit of a Wind-up merchant and enjoy a little drama and inter conflict with a bunch of needling.  Its my way of showing love. Probably just the echoes from institutional brainwashing and hazing from my time as one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. Not everyone's cup of tea.  And the problem.. On epic you can just spawn-whack me over and over once your tired of me..  And that just sounds like fun in and of itself - I'm definitely coming over!!

I expect a warm welcome with red carpets rolled out upon my arrival.  

• Like 1

don't know about this. I have always been for a new fresh server but a total wipe of all character on that server I dont know about that. Tbh as an existing WO player I feel kinda left out since i'd have to start all over again if I wanted to play on this new server. I put far to much time and effort in this char to start over again but I still want to play on the new server. I hope they get merged in a couple of weeks so we can also check it out with our existing chars.

Edited by shamflam

2 hours ago, shamflam said:

don't know about this. I have always been for a new fresh server but a total wipe of all character on that server I dont know about that. Tbh as an existing WO player I feel kinda left out since i'd have to start all over again if I wanted to play on this new server. I put far to much time and effort in this char to start over again but I still want to play on the new server. I hope they get merged in a couple of weeks so we can also check it out with our existing chars.

The point behind a fresh cluster is to have new characters along with it. If they allowed transfers of characters even in the first year or two, it'd completely negate the point in doing this. Give new players a chance to experience a fresh world without having year old accounts flooding the server with high end items immediately. You always have the option of making an alt account to try it on, which I'm sure is what a lot of people are planning on doing. 

• Like 1

Well ok, but any experienced player starting a new toon will be able to produce high end products within months.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Cecci said:

Well ok, but any experienced player starting a new toon will be able to produce high end products within months.

Sure, those who put the effort in may do so, but it will be nowhere near as problematic than allowing all current players to just swing over for the land and economy rush then leave after the damage is irreparably done. If you haven't noticed in recent years, re-releases of MMOs especially go a long way at reviving an otherwise dying game. OSRS, WoW Classic, etc. Not saying Wurm is anywhere close to their caliber, but it is the same idea. If they allow account transfers they defeat the entire purpose and the game will be undoubtedly doomed to die. Especially the PvP side of the steam cluster... 

• Like 1

I can see your point, grinding from scratch still wont halt the experienced players more than a month or two.

Even total newbies know to team up and grind a few skills each really.

I'm not saying I think we should be able to come over, at least not directly.

But it is no question of years for the experienced players to be dominating market, hunts etc.

Edited by Cecci

19 minutes ago, Jore said:

Sure, those who put the effort in may do so, but it will be nowhere near as problematic than allowing all current players to just swing over for the land and economy rush then leave after the damage is irreparably done. If you haven't noticed in recent years, re-releases of MMOs especially go a long way at reviving an otherwise dying game. OSRS, WoW Classic, etc. Not saying Wurm is anywhere close to their caliber, but it is the same idea. If they allow account transfers they defeat the entire purpose and the game will be undoubtedly doomed to die. Especially the PvP side of the steam cluster... 

Did you also see how stupidly easy those remakes was for people who have been playing the game since its original release? New player experience is only for new players. :) 

Also it is not so easy to merge them as the RMT issue stands in the room.

If the current WO servers remain to allow RMT, then they can't merge them with the Steam ones.

The entire Steam Server thing is just their means / hope / idea to get more people on board to play Wurm, if those people remain on the Steam Servers or eventually go to the current WO ones where RMT is allowed is also a thing to consider.

But eventually they said they would only consider to merge them if the Steam "experiment" fails, I assume the conditions here being not enough players who play there and so on.

(and THEN they still have to think over the RMT issue)

It is an attempt to get more people to play the game, merging servers is like admitting that this attempt failed and Wurm will fall back to where it is stuck at now - just with more empty land than it already has now.

This is not meant to be a new landrush for existing players - sure they can take part in it, but the prime goal here is to have the game on Steam and see how well it does there and how many people it can attract and eventually keep playing.

• Like 3

The goal is obviously to get more people to discover the game. And i have to say that im all for it, and will most definitely play the Steam version no matter what.

Whats disturbing with the no-merge mentality is that i know that i one day will not have access to my toon on WO, that ive spent countless of hours and coin on.

Because, lets face it. If Wurm is succeeding on Steam - why keep old WO? And if Wurm is failing on Steam - why keep old WO? Either way, the Steam version is bound to atleast generate some income when new players buy it.

Unless old WO is something to be satisfied with. Which i guess its not, since they're gonna release a non-mergable version on Steam.

I really hope they merge the two, maybe after some time, dont matter for me how long. Because then i can safely invest in my toon right now. With the loyalty system coming up i really want to use the shop and invest in my toon, using real life cash and buy a year of premium etc. But if its maybe going to the graveyard i would much rather invest in my new toon on the Steam version.

If this topic already have been cleared on one of the 25 pages of this thread, im sorry for repeating it. 

47 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

The goal is obviously to get more people to discover the game. And i have to say that im all for it, and will most definitely play the Steam version no matter what.

Whats disturbing with the no-merge mentality is that i know that i one day will not have access to my toon on WO, that ive spent countless of hours and coin on.

Because, lets face it. If Wurm is succeeding on Steam - why keep old WO? And if Wurm is failing on Steam - why keep old WO? Either way, the Steam version is bound to atleast generate some income when new players buy it.

Unless old WO is something to be satisfied with. Which i guess its not, since they're gonna release a non-mergable version on Steam.

I really hope they merge the two, maybe after some time, dont matter for me how long. Because then i can safely invest in my toon right now. With the loyalty system coming up i really want to use the shop and invest in my toon, using real life cash and buy a year of premium etc. But if its maybe going to the graveyard i would much rather invest in my new toon on the Steam version.

If this topic already have been cleared on one of the 25 pages of this thread, im sorry for repeating it. 

Definitely see where you're coming from there. I do think a merge eventually would be great, it's just it needs to be at the right time. Obviously I'm in no position to really know what that time is, but a few weeks or even months after steam launch seems too soon. I have faith that freedom, epic, etc. won't just be tossed aside forever as that would show both old and new players that their investments of time and money in either game mean nothing to devs if it means making more off of other people. 

This topic has been talked to death, but it's still good for players to be able to voice concerns and maybe hear new information as time goes on and we get closer to steam launch haha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nordlys said:

More or less, it was said that they will run both - WO and WO Steam and neither will be shut down for the one or other, as both are the same codebase and thats easy for them to maintain. They said if a patch happens for WO then it will also happen for WO Steam at the same time.

And in case WO Steam fails they will somehow merge those into current WO, but as that has yet to be seen they probably not wasting time on brooding over a possibility that may not even become reality.

Now as for if WO Steam is a success - what we only can hope for tbh - then WO will still go on from what I understood, it could even have a influx of players who want to give the RMT world a try.

Also open for them to decide on is if we can even multibox on WO Steam in one way or another, that is also an incentive for some people who prefer that playstyle to remain on current WO Servers.

There is way to many unknown variables right now to draw a conclusion, we can only wait and see what happens.

I can't denie that with the news that hit last year I lost my drive to play, usually Wurm is my "Winter Game", but I hardly loged on or did anything noteworthy, simply because I am waiting for things to become more clear to make a final decision where my home will be in the end.

But anything else is just panicing for no reason right now my friend, just join the lot who sits back, waits and observes - it's not easy I know. 😕

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Milkdrop said:

More or less, it was said that they will run both - WO and WO Steam and neither will be shut down for the one or other, as both are the same codebase and thats easy for them to maintain.

Please, can you give me the link where it's said ? I'm a returning player and i would like to keep playing on old WO servers. I will probably make a toon on the Steam PvP server but i really want to keep all my memories i have on Independence.

If Independence closes one day i won't continue on WO Steam PvP server and my problem is i would like to invest more in Independence but i'm afraid for example to buy a Trader and then in few weeks / months they shut down the server. It would be really nice if you can tell me the source of the clear statement they won't close the old cluster. Thanks in advance.

16 minutes ago, Syhl said:

Please, can you give me the link where it's said ? I'm a returning player and i would like to keep playing on old WO servers. I will probably make a toon on the Steam PvP server but i really want to keep all my memories i have on Independence.

If Independence closes one day i won't continue on WO Steam PvP server and my problem is i would like to invest more in Independence but i'm afraid for example to buy a Trader and then in few weeks / months they shut down the server. It would be really nice if you can tell me the source of the clear statement they won't close the old cluster. Thanks in advance.

It's been stated multiple times throughout this thread if I'm not mistaken, and here as well

"Whatever happens, the original Wurm Online servers will get the same attention and features the Steam ones will." quote from there as well

Here Retro states that WO and WO Steam will both go down at the same time to get updates, so maintenance and such would be no reason to ditch one or the other.

About not shutting down WO in favor of WO Steam - I haven't looked for that part tbh, but I recall it being a concern of people specially in the light of them cuting new content updates to WU.

But it has been said, that they won't ditch current WO.

Took me nearly half an hour to find the one post... if you really need to read it from a official source, use the forum search as I did, sorry I really need my time off work to relax these days. ;)

But also as has been said that they can't promise to much looking that deep into the future and their decisions will always be in the interest of the game, which is understandable - we lack a time machine. ^_^

But that is pretty much why I sit back and wait, I made my mind up to wait for their calls with WO Steam and depending on how they will answer to open questions about it I will make my choice between the two "worlds" (or deployments, if I got Keenan right ;) ).

1 hour ago, Jore said:

"Whatever happens, the original Wurm Online servers will get the same attention and features the Steam ones will." quote from there as well

"Whatever happens, Wurm Unlimited will get the same attention and features as Wurm Online." indirect quotation from 2015

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

"Whatever happens, Wurm Unlimited will get the same attention and features as Wurm Online." indirect quotation from 2015

From my understanding WU required separate development from WO, which is why updates would come out after they released on WO. WO and SteamWO will be using the same database so it will be very little, if any added burden to the development of new content.

In regards to the frustration of WU being "abandoned", WU remains a completely playable, standalone game that offers players freedoms not present in WO. I paid full price for it back in the day and don't feel cheated myself, 'cause there's no reason to. I've gotten more than my moneys worth in hours of gameplay, and most people who own it got it for what, 2 bucks off of humble bundle? 

• Like 3