Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

WO Steam Discussion

Fact is WO Steam wont affect WU players, Unlimited players will not play steam version just like they don't play online now.

Edited by Jeston

21 hours ago, MightySheep said:

That feels weird to you? I've always thought it makes no sense that the better your tool is, the less XP you get. I'm not really a fan of the epic curve tbh, the less confusing it is the better imo. The only change I'd like to see from default Wurm is removal of priest restrictions. There is a reason why most of the WU servers went that route, I think almost everyone prefers it. Having priest restrictions not only restricts the priests but it restricts everyone else from ever becoming priests. The restrictions are way too harsh, priests can barely play the game. It objectively makes the game less fun for players.

I could see both sides of it, maybe its because im used to the WO system rather then the WU system that I think it fits better. 
Atleast in some situations the harder you struggle the more you learn, if you are given a handicap from superior tools or equipment then technically it should make things easier for you and you wont have learned as much in the end.
But thats just my view of it and probably the view of the devs when they made the original skilling system. 

Its a good system though:
High ql tools = more mats/shorter timer,higher ql items harvested/made

Lower ql tools = more skills/longer timer, lower ql items harvested/made

On WU you start with horrible tools and horrible skills, but you can easily be boosted by a older player giving you high ql tools making your timers near non existent and your early farming way faster then a new player who didnt get the same aid.
But on WO the tool you start with is technically already the best tool for you to gain skills with, there is no way another player can boost you other then give you enchanted items but this goes for both clients (although on WU the speed enchant also increases the skill gain even futher). Its kind of a loophole where the futher into the game you are the easier you can gain skill on WU (aside from the ticks getting lower) while its supposed to be the opposite, making it harder for you the futher you go.

Thats how you make sure that when someone is training their skills they arent able to farm for the market at the sametime, its 1 or the other not both at once.

Edited by Nocturnes
  • Like 3

I’ve seen a lot of people complaining about premium prices. While I don’t necessarily agree, I do think it would be a good idea to let people link their Wurm Account to the Steam Account so that people aren’t paying double the premium that they want or whatever. It might also help if a merge was to happen. This might not fit the guidelines, but it seems to me like something that should be considered.

Edited by MinorArchitect
Elaborated

On 23.09.2019 at 16:22, Retrograde said:

Вурм в настоящее время бесплатно играть. Сервер Steam будет иметь те же ограничения или около того. 

Под бесплатной игрой подразумевается бесплатная загрузка и установка.

Это нацелено на дальнейшее продвижение ММО в паре, а не на смещение игроков отсюда

that is, it will still be possible to move from the Steam server to the main servers, just as now to march between the Iluni islands?

6 hours ago, dyadyadi said:

that is, it will still be possible to move from the Steam server to the main servers, just as now to march between the Iluni islands

At first, they will be separate and you cannot move back and forth.

Later, it is possible you might be able to sail back and forth. But unknown at this time when they will open the way. They will decide that later.

I can understand the whole "new server for new players" thing but honestly I think it would be better to just put the existing servers on Steam and let the population help the new players. You will always have games where some people have been playing longer than others and still get new players all the time (i.e. Final Fantasy). What you need is to add stuff like dungeons and such to entice people since a lot of people not playing Wurm right now are the types that like exploration and finding/killing stuff. Also if you slow down skill gain it just becomes more of a grind than it is now and that will assuredly lose people. Also fixing things in the game would help a lot (i.e. make concrete work underwater at same slopes as they work on land). I would say again just add the existing servers to Steam and see how it goes from there, maybe this way when I log on to Exodus I will have more than 3 people to talk to. Also if you are trying to make it to where people do not become daunted by the skills and such of the old players, you may be surprised to find that some look at that as a challenge and will play just for that challenge. Also Wurms economy is pretty much non-existent anyways unless you are doing the trade channel or forums, so a new server and more players isn't going to help this. What would help would be something like an auction house or something. A place to take your materials and list them so others can buy them and have them shipped through the auction house to the player. This is actually an integral part of just about any MMO game you see out there in the market today. Also to those who say that this would help with those who play Wurm now to make $$, I think you will find that since they know how to skill efficiently and this is a way to make $$ for them that you will probably see them on the new server even more since they can level faster and ask any price they want because those on the new server will not actually know any different, that they could potentially be making more money there than they do now on the existing servers. At least if everyone (old and new players) are on the existing servers, than new players have more people to ask if the prices they are being quoted are reasonable or not.

@Dranana1even with balancer.. to spread the load of new players around all servers.. you'll have friends trying the game... that pop on different ones... creating some mess for them from the start...

Even if groups weren't a thing... we'd have the issue of masses of noobs running around and cutting all oak forests, walnut plantations, etc stuff that usually matter for some people.. managed offdeed forests/fields/lanscapes .... possibly quickly.. gone.. as they are most likely terraformed.. and PERFECT spot for new nooby crawlings to settle. As fun as that might sound... it will stress out the current players or rub them the wrong way, more than 1 way... it's much safer to give them a new map to explore and experience the game.. create some mess and learn from it. Typical current wurm online/unlimited player is just 'odd' with many reservations for the actions they could do in a sandbox game, some are ToS banned practices, other are just inpolite to do and possibly open to create a ticket about...

All I mean is.. you can't expect new people to start acting 'normal' in a game with such long history, there's some culture that goes with it. Add the part that world itself do not heal or recover on it's own.. terraforming at least... anything else that could spread.. eventually does recover.

I hope for a quick fill up of the steam server and also a quick merge, that will be the best case, than new players with some experience now... will be able to move around the old cluster, or.. even quit the testing new grounds and straight up join WO skipping steam(just learning about wo's existence from steam).

Old players starting over at steam release to steal all possible sales... is going to be a thing.... several of current long timers.... will move 50:50 or 80:20 to steam and operate from there... as long business is better, whoever breathes on that... it's a common sense to use the opportunity.

• Like 3

The last time noobs crawled all over my area they cut down all of the fruit trees I'd meticulously planted for public use. 'Public use' however does not include cutting all of them down to get their woodcutting skill from 1 to 10. I was more than a bit hacked off. Especially since said noobs didn't even stick around. They usually just would come in, decimate an area, then log off, never to be seen again. The only thing that remained was their destruction.

A new server is perfect for that special kind of destructive learn as you go experience Wurm noobs need.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dranana1 said:

I can understand the whole "new server for new players" thing but honestly I think it would be better to just put the existing servers on Steam and let the population help the new players. 

One reason i chose to switch to Wurm Unlimited was because it is a lot more enjoyable to play on a server where everyone is starting out on the same level. I enjoy being able to make money doing things I enjoy, and if I were to play on a server where most people have already leveled their skills, then I would be stuck grinding bricks or something to make a living, and that would take away from the roleplay for me personally and the whole reason I play Wurm, which is to just live a natural life caring for my farm and animals, cooking, hunting a bit, etc..

• Cat 1

I'd disagree but if that makes it simpler for you, you've solved your money problem already.

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

@Dranana1even with balancer.. to spread the load of new players around all servers.. you'll have friends trying the game... that pop on different ones... creating some mess for them from the start...

Even if groups weren't a thing... we'd have the issue of masses of noobs running around and cutting all oak forests, walnut plantations, etc stuff that usually matter for some people.. managed offdeed forests/fields/lanscapes .... possibly quickly.. gone.. as they are most likely terraformed.. and PERFECT spot for new nooby crawlings to settle. As fun as that might sound... it will stress out the current players or rub them the wrong way, more than 1 way... it's much safer to give them a new map to explore and experience the game.. create some mess and learn from it. Typical current wurm online/unlimited player is just 'odd' with many reservations for the actions they could do in a sandbox game, some are ToS banned practices, other are just inpolite to do and possibly open to create a ticket about...

All I mean is.. you can't expect new people to start acting 'normal' in a game with such long history, there's some culture that goes with it. Add the part that world itself do not heal or recover on it's own.. terraforming at least... anything else that could spread.. eventually does recover.

I hope for a quick fill up of the steam server and also a quick merge, that will be the best case, than new players with some experience now... will be able to move around the old cluster, or.. even quit the testing new grounds and straight up join WO skipping steam(just learning about wo's existence from steam).

Old players starting over at steam release to steal all possible sales... is going to be a thing.... several of current long timers.... will move 50:50 or 80:20 to steam and operate from there... as long business is better, whoever breathes on that... it's a common sense to use the opportunity.

honestly i had more problems with old players than new ones, they deeded over my mines and half of my house...
also the deed it or lose it that hey use counts for all offdeed farms, trees, fields, mines, etc

10 hours ago, Liya said:

One reason i chose to switch to Wurm Unlimited was because it is a lot more enjoyable to play on a server where everyone is starting out on the same level. I enjoy being able to make money doing things I enjoy, and if I were to play on a server where most people have already leveled their skills, then I would be stuck grinding bricks or something to make a living, and that would take away from the roleplay for me personally and the whole reason I play Wurm, which is to just live a natural life caring for my farm and animals, cooking, hunting a bit, etc..

I agree, lots of super leveled vet accounts that should have died off when the original owner left the game but no... they were sold and now there are too many over-leveled accounts and their current owners are the ones opposing this steam thing now.

• Like 7
  • Cat 1

As Finnn and Belrindor mentioned, having these new Steam WO servers isolated for some time will restrict all the newbie chaos and naive destruction to them. So for that I am happy to have all the newbies toddling along there until they learn that their actions have consequences on others enjoyment of the game too. The broadness of the Steam younger audience will have a lot to do with this I would imagine.

=Ayes=

• Like 3

On 10/14/2019 at 12:47 PM, Ayes said:

As Finnn and Belrindor mentioned, having these new Steam WO servers isolated for some time will restrict all the newbie chaos and naive destruction to them. So for that I am happy to have all the newbies toddling along there until they learn that their actions have consequences on others enjoyment of the game too. The broadness of the Steam younger audience will have a lot to do with this I would imagine.

=Ayes=

Actions in Wurm take too long for Newbies with malicious intent to stick around long anyway.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jeston said:

Actions in Wurm take too long for Newbies with malicious intent to stick around long anyway.

[citation needed]

22 hours ago, Jeston said:

All it takes is one post to facepunch/4chan/reddit and one afternoon...

Seen it happen here before... multiple times.

I see a pattern.. if we could only use that somehow.. for good.. offer a statue of certain wildling for achieving something in such 'raid', given .. if there's no destruction and stress on servers.. a bit more life forms could be good, no?

On 10/18/2019 at 11:52 AM, As_I_Decay said:

All it takes is one post to facepunch/4chan/reddit and one afternoon...

Seen it happen here before... multiple times.

Well good thing you plan to stay on the main server?

Hello there! I thought i would give my 2 cents on this idea/my experience as i have played wurm for a long time on and off now. 

BACK STORY

I started playing WO way back in 2008/2009 after searching google for some new games that were free. I found wurm and started playing when there were no animations on characters and everyone just slid around the map. I played for about a month or two constantly when a few of my skills inevitably hit level 20. I purchased the premium a few times and slowly leveled up more and more. I slowly lost interest in wurm and started to play it less and less until i stopped all together. I came back to the game a few times after that but not properly until the new animations/models and building floors came in. I was hooked! I played again for a few months but slowly again stopped playing due to mainly the level caps.

Fast forward to 2013/2014 and Wurm Unlimited has appeared on steam. I pestered all my friends to play it but i could only persuade two. Alec and Iwadn. We played on the mythmoor server every day without fail for about 3 months when the server reset their map. Feeling defeated we stopped playing. Everything in wurm takes time an we just couldn't really be bothered starting all over again.

Here i am in 2019 playing wurm again with my friends alec and iwadn. Now we are slowly clocking up hours on the sklotopolis server and loving it! I can see myself playing for a rather long time now.

MY OPINIONS

I will try word this the best i can. Thought my opinion might be a good insight as a regular person and not a die hard fan.

Personally i would never go back to playing Wurm online. The reason for this is down to the level 20 cap for online and the grind. I play unlimited because i don't have to pay a monthly subscription just to make higher QL things, i have bought the game and i can now do as much as i want. I hate to say it but, in my opinion as someone who loves wurm but not as an avid player. Online looks like it is dying. There is just no reason for me to play online when i can login to unlimited and level faster with no caps.

Releasing a wurm online steam only version would be pointless. This would divide the communities more and more. I would say release wurm online on steam and allow anyone to join the servers that are already there. Don't make new servers but If people like the game they are inevitably going to buy unlimited rather than premium.

There is a game studio in my local town called Hunted Cow Games and they released a game called Eldevin. Its runescape ripoff that has pretty much 0 players. They have since released this game on steam and they do get a few people playing it yes but  most people stop playing as Cosmetics are thrown in your face and leveling skills is extremely hard unless you pay for boosters.

I believe that wurm needs a combat and animations overhaul the most as its just boring. Its all text based with very little excitement. If wurm had a combat system like Morhau i would never stop playing it.

I think if wurm was to have a membership system it would need something like runescape. Some skills ore items should only be available to players who pay for premium. 

Overall i love playing Unlimited and will continue to play for some considerable time.

Edit: I forgot to mention mods. Mods really appeal to me and a lot of others. Mods tend to be the reason people play on private servers of games. Look  at habbo retros, runescape private servers, wow private servers etc

Edited by Yldrania
Moderation Edit
  • Cat 1

8 minutes ago, Dobby said:

Fast forward to 2013/2014 and Wurm Unlimited has appeared on steam. I pestered all my friends to play it 

I think buried in your life story is the reason why this is actually a good idea. New releases of any kind, even re-release of old content on new servers give players the excuse they need to come back to a game or to create hype to encourage new people to try it. I can think of countless examples where this is the case.

If you weren't already invested in your WU thing you would probably feel the same way.

Edited by MightySheep
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MightySheep said:

I think buried in your life story is the reason why this is actually a good idea. New releases of any kind, even re-release of old content on new servers give players the excuse they need to come back to a game or to create hype to encourage new people to try it. I can think of countless examples where this is the case.

If you weren't already invested in your WU thing you would probably feel the same way.

A model/animaton/combat overhaul would get me interested. I remember how amazed i was with the new models when they were released. I remember getting so angry because the servers were offline all day due to some hiccups with the launch.

Its easy to become invested in WU when you can get it for close to nothing.

Sure thing Wurm is a very cool game, but it doesn't reveal it's potential to most new players. 

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

Sure thing Wurm is a very cool game, but it doesn't reveal it's potential to most new players. 

So true. I know many are turned off by the graphics alone which is so sad. They have no clue what they're missing. The depth of this game is amazing. I've barely even scratched the surface and have been playing for over 1200 hours

• Like 1

There are few names that stick out when it comes to building and decorating in WO... at much crazier level.. compared to the other.. why didn't staff ever try to lure these people to design starter towns?

Why nobody ever writes articles about wurm.. anywhere.. never..it's really really rare to find a page online that mentions wurm online or shows recent screenshots.

How does anybody think that the game is possible to find without the right presentation and good amount of links pointing to wurm's website.. etc..

If anything the game's free to try and play forever at 20.00 if that's all you want and need...

As for the webshop or sub model.. if 1st one eventually starts to be used.. and finally provides a good amount of things.. people are craving all kinds of skins and decorations, easy money if such were offered, plenty of other non sub-model games make decent amount from shop items alone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Finnn said:

There are few names that stick out when it comes to building and decorating in WO... at much crazier level.. compared to the other.. why didn't staff ever try to lure these people to design starter towns?

I was thinking just today how uninspiring Sloping Sands is a place to land, now. No one coming through that portal and looking at the bleak emptiness around them is going tp feel inspired to stay. When I first joined the server back in 2014 there were at least some good looking player-made deeds within sight of the starter town that showed me what was possible and inspired me to go and start my own little deed. I think there's a lot of seasoned players im WO who still love their server homes and would put in time and resources to improving their starter towns if they were allowed to.

• Like 1