Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

WO Steam Discussion

15 hours ago, Retrograde said:

One of the risks we assessed was players leaving wurm online due to launching a new cluster for steam and the steam cluster failing. This would mean an overall loss, so we decided to speak with the existing playerbase to ensure that when we launch it it will be done with them feeling included and also addressing any issues raised. 

I know many have ideas for what could be different with this wurm edition but we are aiming at keeping the same core experience, qol changes would be to all servers, we aren't planning a ogwo server codebase and a steam wo server code base, they will simply use different clients to connect 

This why i'm not sure servers should be disconected. I overall agree with Rolfs reasoning and support move to Steam. But opening new servers for it is huge risk. Like people before me said playing with veterans around as new player is not without it's merrits. You think this game is not attractive enough well it might be even less atractive for half of new potential population without people to guide them, or sell/gift them better gear, gather them in their setlements etc. Both scenarios has pros and cons, not quite sure that in current state fresh server pros tips scale in it's favour. Not clustering players and not opening new server might be safer and wiser option. If existing population is higher, i would go with new server no problem but curently it's a huge risk, excpecially with Jackal on right now. After reading this post i even think that this was not right time for Jackal lol.

Most recently my gf wanted to try Wurm to be quite honest i don't think she would logged of forever after few minutes if i hadn't hold her hand through Heavens landing. And i'm glad that this will not go before ui update. I do hope we should be able to do things like equip hatchet and just click on tree to chop it as she was constantly expecting that she can do that :) 

Another things that concerns me about Steam is posibility to sell silvers, toons, other things for real money, if thats off the table that might be reason for more people to quit, and a lot of potential new players not to stick around for long.. We have to be totaly clear whats steams policy with that and if players would be banned for selling silvers to other players or won't...

If new server with fresh skill is inevitable maybe some compromis towards your loyal player base might be exactly Jackal scenario with allowing as to play as newbs on new servers with existing characters and then adding earned skills there by some formula back to old servers after merge? That way you might ensure that if steam server fails atleast your old players will still be there...

But overall i agree with moving to steam because of atracting new people and polishing UI one way or another.

What I am concern is, if they do move to Steam, is there gonna be a wipe or still as it is?

Just now, Wildelf said:

What I am concern is, if they do move to Steam, is there gonna be a wipe or still as it is?

It wouldn't move to Steam; it would also be on Steam, with the Steam servers being separate from the ones we have now, possibly merged in the future. The current servers would stay put.

• Like 1

@Rolf There are two things that need to be addressed before a steam release, 

1- Cannot have some massive island, sure a 8x8 could fill up possibly and its better to start small. If another does have to be put online, have 2-3 8x8 islands share the same map space in a triangle configuration and avoid server crossing all together.

2- Spirit houses that can mail anything need to go, they have ruined player interaction and world exploration through commerce and trade. Now people just sit on their deed waiting for mail.

Edited by Jeston

it's almost 2020 jeston.. everything takes time.. it's a game... just let them use the remote to change the channel(have mailing system..)

Let us transfer WO characters with full skill but put cap on usable skill level for appropiate amount of time. For example: 95 blacksmithing you might be able to use 50 levels at start and increase limit later and finally removing limiter (probably at which point merge should happen). This way current wo players will be able to experience new steam server(s) without regrinding skills and making too much impact on new server skillwise.

Players who transfer won't have to regrind it twice, and new players won't be overwhelmed by highly skilled players joining them on new server as they won't have full potential of their earned skill.

This leaves new players from steam able to choose where they want using steam client, and not lefting out current wo players ( esp who want to try out wo steam server ) besides not being able to transfer items.

TLDR:

1. Portal back and forth wo and wo steam

2. Full skill transfer but with cap effective skill level limited time ( this cap will increase over time until player can fully use high level skills if has them)

3. Both wo and wo steam players will be able to choose where to play

3 hours ago, Eyesgood said:

A Steam gamer browsing Steam games:  - Oh, what's this, Wurm Online?  Wait, didn't I see another game similar to this?..... <searches for Wurm>  Huh?  Wurm Unlimited?  What's the difference? <Spends 5 minutes comparing>  Oh, Wurm Unlimited is Free to Play with no skill restrictions, allows multiple toons, has tons of mods, and several servers to choose from.  Wurm Online is free to download, skill-capped, a single server and costs $8 a month per toon.

Which one do you think the gamer will try?  Unfortunately, WU will be WOS' (Wurm Online Steam) biggest competition.

Think about it.

I truly doubt people will have this thought process. WU requires purchase of the game, while WO would show as free to play. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ecrir said:

That doesn't make any sense, though perhaps because you don't actually give any reasons to support your first statement with.

The move to Steam makes sense as well if it connects to the current Freedom cluster. The main reason it makes sense is that steam offers a lot of extra exposure, add in some advertisement (which can also be done on steam) and you can attracts a lot of new players. You don't need a new cluster for any of that. Using the existing servers has a lot of advantages as well, you've got a lot of infrastructure in place so the launch should be smooth, no early stability and load issues should occur. There's a lot of interesting construction and landscaping work to draw in new players with and to show them what can be done in game (this was once a reason for removing GV from the equation for new players), etc.

So it makes perfect sense.

I can assure you that an additional cluster not connected to previous WO servers is 100% needed, otherwhise it doesn't make any sense at all. The reason for this is not just the RMT policy but also the new players which should be attracted, nobody wants to play on a server where so many players are already at 100 skill, with tons of tools for sale and pretty much no challenge at all. I have been at this point and running a disconnected cluster in my projects was a very good decision, it was the only realisitc one if we are honest. So as you can see I am one of very few people who can give an realisitc assumption as I already did this step once.

Personally I don't think that a WO steam release without a different cluster is an option, we will see what the DEV team decides and what this new company is up to. Things will be different and for the beginning we have to expect even less players on the current server cluster, but in general it could pay out very well over the long term.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Martynas5 said:

Let us transfer WO characters with full skill but put cap on usable skill level for appropiate amount of time. For example: 95 blacksmithing you might be able to use 50 levels at start and increase limit later and finally removing limiter (probably at which point merge should happen). This way current wo players will be able to experience new steam server(s) without regrinding skills and making too much impact on new server skillwise.

Players who transfer won't have to regrind it twice, and new players won't be overwhelmed by highly skilled players joining them on new server as they won't have full potential of their earned skill.

This leaves new players from steam able to choose where they want using steam client, and not lefting out current wo players ( esp who want to try out wo steam server ) besides not being able to transfer items.

TLDR:

2. Full skill transfer but with cap effective skill level limited time ( this cap will increase over time until player can fully use high level skills if has them)

Horrible Idea, how to kill the steam idea 101 right here folks.

Edited by Jeston
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Martynas5 said:

TLDR:

IMO: no.. that will kill existing cluster(bringing existing online numbers lower) and "poison" new world with current.. 'vets' how some call them

sorry but terrible idea to let foxes into the chicken coop(steam world), old players from this world could in times outlevel any new player there starting from 1 anyway..

37 minutes ago, Jeston said:

Horrible Idea, how to kill the steam idea 101 right here folks.

Agreed. Asking for feedback on these forums you are naturally only going to hear the voices of current active Wurm Online players but you probably won't hear the opinions of potential returning players or potential new players who I assume are the primary targets of this idea. So its expected that you will hear people making suggestions that favor themselves but aren't necessarily whats best for the game. Many will be upset about potential eventual RMT value loss of their characters or not being able to use their titan characters straight away etc.

I speak for myself and many people I know when I say the biggest deterrent for WO for me has been the fact you will never conceivably "catch up" in any meaningful sense (especially on PvP) to the current top players. There have been way too many historical or temporary huge bonuses to skill gain which if you put into context of a 10+ year history and an extremely high skill cap (or non-existent cap in the case of body skills etc) then you get a situation which for lack of a better word is simply unfair. You can't compete.

I've been hoping for some kind of fresh wipe on a WO PvP server for a very long time. Nothing beats the hype of a fresh MMO wipe. The stat race, gear race, unique kills race, artifacts race, the exploring of map and finding best places to settle etc. Although I assume they are going to use the same maps? Idk the information is really vague. Imagine if everyone just transferred their titan chars on day 1 lmao I'd be hard pressed to think of more of a buzzkill idea.

Edited by MightySheep

@kochinacalternative to opening a new separated server is to configure a balancer.. and randomly spawn new players on different existing servers.... which is not ideal to say the least... or.. just drop a nuke over indy and spawn every new steam account there... you can imagine the changes over the map and amount of new 1 tile sheds all over the place in a period of a month/+.

I thought new server is split for the reason to evade griefing all over the map, there's some WO/WU culture... but new players wont be playing by that rules.. at first.. gms shouldn't at all be able to handle the amount of tickets for random things that will be happening... new server could burn and boil for what's it worth.. nobody will care if they terraform it, deforest, build all kinds of constructions everywhere, etc...

MAYBE I'm wrong.. maybe... that's one reason to keep it aside from existing worlds..

For what's it worth.. steam server being separated allows a lot bigger flexibility and the chance to start it today/tomorrow without taking wild precautions and overthinking everything possible that could go wrong with existing cluster/s.

7 hours ago, Damascus said:

Just go read WU reviews now on steam , says a lot .

Actually, they are currently pretty good:

ALL REVIEWS:
Mostly Positive (1,370)

But it changes very often :D It can drop pretty fast at time

1 hour ago, MightySheep said:

Imagine if everyone just transferred their titan chars on day 1 lmao I'd be hard pressed to think of more of a buzzkill idea.

That is a quick way to make this all a wasted endeavor

2 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

I can assure you that an additional cluster not connected to previous WO servers is 100% needed, otherwhise it doesn't make any sense at all. The reason for this is not just the RMT policy but also the new players which should be attracted, nobody wants to play on a server where so many players are already at 100 skill, with tons of tools for sale and pretty much no challenge at all. I have been at this point and running a disconnected cluster in my projects was a very good decision, it was the only realisitc one if we are honest. So as you can see I am one of very few people who can give an realisitc assumption as I already did this step once.

Personally I don't think that a WO steam release without a different cluster is an option, we will see what the DEV team decides and what this new company is up to. Things will be different and for the beginning we have to expect even less players on the current server cluster, but in general it could pay out very well over the long term.

^^ 100 percent this

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jore said:

I truly doubt people will have this thought process. WU requires purchase of the game, while WO would show as free to play. 

I get your point, but I think exactly the opposite.  I think people will not mind paying a one-time fee as opposed to purchasing a subscription on a game that is free to download.  Don't get me wrong, I want WOS to succeed.  But I do not believe it can be successful without a serious look at the business model.  They will have ONE chance to get this right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eyesgood said:

I get your point, but I think exactly the opposite.  I think people will not mind paying a one-time fee as opposed to purchasing a subscription on a game that is free to download.  Don't get me wrong, I want WOS to succeed.  But I do not believe it can be successful without a serious look at the business model.  They will have ONE chance to get this right.

'Eh, people are happy to pay subscriptions as long as they enjoy the game. Simple as that. I do agree that they ought to rethink some of the benefits of premium, but as is WO shouldn't struggle to gather a new audience on steam even with how niche it is.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 6:00 PM, Finnn said:

Do you play games to sell or buy things from other or to enjoy the game and what it offers as main reason? 🤔

It's new people's world.. they'll figure it out. 🤠

lol I wasn't talking about me man, I was talking about yall

The number one complaint ur gonna get from reviews will be that the grind is way too much, i guarantee you this is gonna be what encompasses all the bad reviews, the thing is that you cannot compare wu reviews to potential wo ones because in wu u can make the grind practically non existant whilst in wo you have to play in already pre-set servers that have 1x skill or 2x at most. 

• Cat 1

Why not just start Wurm Online 2 game that's not made in Java?
Why not try pushing for a Nintendo Switch version?

• Like 1

How do you imagine switch kids playing wurm on tv for 10 hours, parents will bring some priests home to save the kid..

Directx and some normal shaders/shadows could be nice.. but there could be more than preference and knowledge... about the rendering of massive amounts of random tiny pieces.. together forming the deeds/towns/markets that even now with relatively low detail stress out your cpu/gpu.

• Cat 1

7 hours ago, Kswords said:

Why not just start Wurm Online 2 game that's not made in Java?

As far as I know there's no engine out there that allows you to do what the current engine in Wurm allows. So they'd have to either make one from scratch, or heavily modify an existing engine (assuming they can find one that can somewhat support what the game needs). Stuff like that takes years, with a small team you can easily be looking at 5+ years, assuming they stop all work on the current version of Wurm. The game will be dead and buried before they'd finish.

1 hour ago, Spy said:

@Rolf 1 pve and 1 pvp server like good old Wurm?

I'd love this alongside everyone else asking for it, but 1 of each may not be enough for how many people may end up joining the game the first couple days following launch on steam. Starter towns will be a mess of people competing for resources and while that itself isn't a problem, if there's too many people it can definitely turn into one.

Problem is, if you make the grind easier, make skillgains higher, etc... you will realize that the game becomes extremely boring as you have everything and have done everything. It is a core part of the game. The journey to the endgame if you will.

This is apparent on many WU servers where there is an insane power creep as people can solo uniques and are basically gods. Even here on WO it has become apparent over the decades even with the 1x skillgain. Putting skillgains higher will just make this even quicker. Unless of course you plan on wiping the servers every now and then, which is also not a good idea.

Removing priest restrictions won't solve much. I think the restrictions should be remade instead in new forms that aren't so restrictive, something akin to what Awakening does on WU where you need to have certain skills at certain levels to be able to become a priest, and they vary depending on the god.

What needs to be improved upon is the MMO aspect, and giving us more to do. Dungeons, bosses, stronger enemies, dynamic events happening across the servers, quests (nothing like rifts) more customization for players, collectibles, unlockables, more RPG elements and the encouragement of roleplaying and roleplaying elements, and more. 

As for the subscription prices, i'm sorry but nobody is forcing you to use alts.

I'd go as far as to create an account system that every normal MMO game has, where you are restricted to a certain number of characters that you can make, and cannot log them on at the same time.

People using dozens of alts is what is killing this game.

Nobody knows how many people online are alts, it ruins the economy when people can just log on a bunch of characters and do different work on each, eliminating the MMO aspect and social aspect of the game and the need to buy from others or hire others, use them to grief people, use them in sermons, and so on. 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 4