Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

WO Steam Discussion

13 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

One of the risks we assessed was players leaving wurm online due to launching a new cluster for steam and the steam cluster failing. This would mean an overall loss, so we decided to speak with the existing playerbase to ensure that when we launch it it will be done with them feeling included and also addressing any issues raised. 

I know many have ideas for what could be different with this wurm edition but we are aiming at keeping the same core experience, qol changes would be to all servers, we aren't planning a ogwo server codebase and a steam wo server code base, they will simply use different clients to connect 

I would be delighted to try the new steam server, especially if someday down the line it would be joined with the old servers. 

Either way I believe I would be playing on both though. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, darthryan said:

Sure, but eventually new clusters become old ones. Either you merge them eventually or you end up with two separate ancient clusters for no real purpose. 

Of course, however just because one person has had the opportunity to do something, doesn't mean you should keep others from experiencing it in the future. Also, clusters take a long time to become "old" in Wurms case as there's a lot to do, and those things take a lot of time. There's room for the devs to improve upon the longevity of the game as well, however they aim to do that. 

What about letting us transfer to steam wo:

only characters, maybe with some kind of epic portal thingy. also other way around.

limiting our effective skill for limited time ( we still have high skills but really cant use it ) to not overwhelm new players.

even if clusters merge it will probably few years before that happens.

• Like 4

I think it will hurt the game's reputation if a large number of Steam players agree to give this "new" server a try, and log in only to find out there are people who have literally been skilling up their characters for fifteen years ahead of them. It's not the same as a set number of OGWO players just jumping in as rerolls, while already knowing how to skill grind fast.

I don't think there should be any character transfers between the two until and if a merger occurs, and I think that should be a minimum of a year down the road. New characters only, for at least one year, then they can move over.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

One of the risks we assessed was players leaving wurm online due to launching a new cluster for steam and the steam cluster failing. This would mean an overall loss, so we decided to speak with the existing playerbase to ensure that when we launch it it will be done with them feeling included and also addressing any issues raised. 

I know many have ideas for what could be different with this wurm edition but we are aiming at keeping the same core experience, qol changes would be to all servers, we aren't planning a ogwo server codebase and a steam wo server code base, they will simply use different clients to connect 

If you make it a disconnected cluster then people will move over from WO to the steam version, just like they moved over from WO to WU. Only this time there's no reason for WO steam people to check out the current WO like there was when WU was launched. So it's going to be a one way player drain. Why take that risk?

If the qol changes, etc, will be added to all servers then just add a few new servers to the existing cluster, put the same client on Steam as we have here and advice new players to move to those new servers in the tutorial. The only risk with that move is that we end up with a few more servers and slightly less players per server, but not less players on the cluster overall.

So, keep it simple and low risk, the existing playerbase isn't exactly high on the current cluster to begin with, which also means that there's plenty of room for new players on it.

All the existing wonders/player creations in game will also help inspire new players and should give them a much better first impression. Just like how back in the day GV was taken out of the picture so new players could see Independence instead. The first few days are often critical, so why not use everything we've got?

Edited by Ecrir

1 hour ago, Ecrir said:

If you make it a disconnected cluster then people will move over from WO to the steam version, just like they moved over from WO to WU. Only this time there's no reason for WO steam people to check out the current WO like there was when WU was launched. So it's going to be a one way player drain. Why take that risk?

The move only makes sense if there is a disconnected cluster, so I doubt that there is any chance that existing servers will be connected to the Steam WO at all. At some point when it comes to business decisions they can't consider what existing players want and need to focus on new players.

• Like 2

Well I don't think that Steam will make any differences, already have WU on the list and for those who bought it will see WO as well. I know there are some users doesn't like Steam and others just don't seem to be care about it.

All Steam does, can see your friends on the list, that who is playing and offline. Also show how many hours you been playing it. Other than that its just a gamble.

So not sure if you are willing to move this WO to Steam, but don't move the entire servers there. Keep the servers as it is, then if you want to invest it another spot in Steam go ahead. Probably going to cost you twice as much running all these servers. Half of the population probably split in between these servers.

You also need to find a way to make profits to keep these servers running, otherwise you going over the cliff here sooner than you think.

+1 will play chaos if it exists on release

Edited by Eggplant
  • Like 1

Generally I am not much in favor of exaggerated board or forum moderation. But stop to call it censorship, it is not. Censorship is what state agencies, or monopolists like Google, Facebook, and Twitter do, often on behalf of state censorship. In all politeness, I often had the impression that you were constantly sailing on the edge of forum rule violation, either for fun and provocation, or out of frustration, or both. So deletion of posts here and then is not too astonishing.

As to you and your friends I doubt a bit whether you belong to the problem or the solution side of the dwindling player base.

• Like 1

+1

I can't see a downside to this!

People need to take a step back, remove their ego's, completely ridiculous negative opinions and actually thing about whats good for the future of this game!

New PvP server please @Rolf

Edited by Moonpoppy
  • Like 3
  • Cat 1

Can you confirm if releasing freedom cluster on launch includes a freshly wiped Chaos server?

I know a lot of WU groups of people who would jump at the chance to sub to a new PvP server if WO released on steam. Please don't wait till way after launch hype dies down to release a PvP server though.

As for income I am a big fan of microtransactions and cosmetics because it allows people to support the game without ruining it. For example similar game called haven and hearth releases a silly cosmetic hat with every update and some of the more hardcore players will buy every single one of them because they get come out of the shop after some time and become rare cosmetics. I also think it would be a good tactic to introduce a pre-order package for steam which includes a few months game time and some other benefits like a special forum badge or something inane like that which people dribble over.

Edited by MightySheep
  • Like 3

You guys need to have a plan in place for the future and communicate it to your players. Nobody really wants to commit to anything if it will be pointless in the end.

Like I want to build a deed on this server, but what is the future of that server? Is it going to be reset? Is epic going to be removed in general? What are the plans?

On 9/23/2019 at 10:23 PM, Cecci said:

They will still have to pay prem to get above 20 in skill. ( I presume)

30?

45 minutes ago, Wimblonian said:

30?

No keep it as it is, skill limit 20 is fine. Until they pay the premium.

This is all going to come down to the first week of gameplay.

If the server is stable, well populated and premium does not feel too much of a wall; wurm on steam will succeed and get good reviews which lead to more success.

Otherwise....

Well....

Yeah, it will be review bombed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

If the server is stable, well populated and premium does not feel too much of a wall; wurm on steam will succeed and get good reviews which lead to more success.

Otherwise....

Well....

I bet it will be review bombed  either way, unless it is made clear from beginning that Wurm is not a game for those expecting endgame abilities and content within a week or a month. It must be clear that Wurm is a niche game for good reason, and that is part of its uniqueness and its appeal. If that is sacrificed to whining kiddies, goodbye Wurm.

42 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Otherwise....

Well....

Just go read WU reviews now on steam , says a lot .

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

You really should rethink this.  This is a chance to make a few significant changes, such as no class restrictions and no multiboxing.  I multibox because I can as do most players here now.  If I didn't, I'd be crippled in capability, compared to my fellow Wurmians.  Just remove it from the equation and remove the need for it.  Removing restrictions removes the player need for it.  Removing account subscriptions removes your (Game Chest) need for it.  Back fill the revenue with other methods that other successful games are using today.

Death to subscriptions.  In fact, to show how much I think subscriptions are wrong, from this point forward, I will never pay another subscription for Wurm again.  I've had as many as 48 (I believe) subs active at one time and regularly do 6-8 when active.

#nomoresubs

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Just go read WU reviews now on steam , says a lot .

PfQhmK7.png

Mostly positive is a lot better than I expected for a game with such a high barrier to entry.

8 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

The move only makes sense if there is a disconnected cluster, so I doubt that there is any chance that existing servers will be connected to the Steam WO at all. At some point when it comes to business decisions they can't consider what existing players want and need to focus on new players.

That doesn't make any sense, though perhaps because you don't actually give any reasons to support your first statement with.

The move to Steam makes sense as well if it connects to the current Freedom cluster. The main reason it makes sense is that steam offers a lot of extra exposure, add in some advertisement (which can also be done on steam) and you can attracts a lot of new players. You don't need a new cluster for any of that. Using the existing servers has a lot of advantages as well, you've got a lot of infrastructure in place so the launch should be smooth, no early stability and load issues should occur. There's a lot of interesting construction and landscaping work to draw in new players with and to show them what can be done in game (this was once a reason for removing GV from the equation for new players), etc.

So it makes perfect sense.

1 hour ago, Ecrir said:

The move to Steam makes sense as well if it connects to the current Freedom cluster. The main reason it makes sense is that steam offers a lot of extra exposure, add in some advertisement (which can also be done on steam) and you can attracts a lot of new players. You don't need a new cluster for any of that. Using the existing servers has a lot of advantages as well, you've got a lot of infrastructure in place so the launch should be smooth, no early stability and load issues should occur. There's a lot of interesting construction and landscaping work to draw in new players with and to show them what can be done in game (this was once a reason for removing GV from the equation for new players), etc.

So it makes perfect sense.

There would need to be a disconnect due to WO's current RMT policies and the RMT policies of Steam. That or they would need to completely rewrite their policies, which would probably not make many current players happy.

"No early stability or load issues." - They already know how to launch a server so that shouldn't be an issue. 

A Steam gamer browsing Steam games:  - Oh, what's this, Wurm Online?  Wait, didn't I see another game similar to this?..... <searches for Wurm>  Huh?  Wurm Unlimited?  What's the difference? <Spends 5 minutes comparing>  Oh, Wurm Unlimited is Free to Play with no skill restrictions, allows multiple toons, has tons of mods, and several servers to choose from.  Wurm Online is free to download, skill-capped, a single server and costs $8 a month per toon.

Which one do you think the gamer will try?  Unfortunately, WU will be WOS' (Wurm Online Steam) biggest competition.

Think about it.

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 1

Putting a new pve and pvp server cluster on steam sounds like a great way to bring back in new, old and current players.

I'm all for this and will be back with a group of people if this happens, but i think we would only be interested in pvp.

I like the idea to remove priest restrictions... all WU servers do this now and allows people to feel more content without having to constantly ask friends to help them with wiping their own asses...

good luck.

• Like 2