Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

WO Steam Discussion

That's not going to happen, let's focus on the core of whether you all as players would accept a launch on steam of a new disconnected cluster! The full details will need to be fleshed out by us at a later point, we want to know if spending our time preparing for such a launch is worthwhile, obviously how you all feel about it is very important in our considerations. 

• Like 7

So will it ever merge? Dont really want to be left out in empty cluster >.>

• Like 1

But who will the people on the non-steam cluster sell their stuff too?

The greatest danger is that during such a launch the game would be dumbed down to satisfy the expectations of the steam crowd. As several posters already emphasized, it would be crucial to make clear in advance that Wurm is a niche game for those who like or at least accept an "oldschool game", and a lot of hard grind, and that it is hopeless for those who expect a game to be "played through" within a few weeks or at most months. Without that, a steam launch will be as much a flop as the Elevation tragedy.

31 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

That's not going to happen, let's focus on the core of whether you all as players would accept a launch on steam of a new disconnected cluster! The full details will need to be fleshed out by us at a later point, we want to know if spending our time preparing for such a launch is worthwhile, obviously how you all feel about it is very important in our considerations. 

The answer is NO ... There other games coming out that can do the same as in Wurm and more with less restrictions .

You are looking at doing nothing more then repeating the same issues you have now for limited player base , if you can not see that them you may be in the wrong line of work ..

You have asked many a time before on ways to improve Wurm and player retention and you seem to ignore the basics ...

Leave skill grind as is  that is not the issue , issue at hand is limited contain and being forced to play multiple characters in a way .

Remove priest limits totally and you have a start of something to increase player base .

If you do not wish to listen to players in someway  who pay for this game , they will move on .

They are not asking for the world just a small piece ...QOL... quality of life added ...

37 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Yes!

Launch a completely new server on STEAM on a totally disconnected cluster!

Not sure if this is possible, but I would make the suggestion that we have a Golden Valley Tutorial server that resets every few days back to its original condition.  With the exception of the players inventories, skills etc.  This would allow them to learn to build, terraform and try out mining, and they dont have to worry about making some vet angry lol.  The reset will force them to move on when they are comfortable with their skills and knowledge of the game.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Remove priest limits totally and you have a start of something to increase player base .

Most of the people opposing this would be high end sellers on current WO servers.

But we're not talking about current WO servers in this thread. We're talking about a new STEAM server.

For that new STEAM server, definitely remove priest limitations. Most newbies will have no idea how to even be a priest in the first place, and once they DO figure it out they have to grind the skills, which is no small feat.

Playing on a WU server for over a year, and not just focusing on endlessly grinding it, I think my toon has 60 channeling and I can do some paltry enchants, but I STILL bought the 'good stuff' from the master crafters when it was available, because I sure as heck was not going to spend weeks of my life grinding the skills to make those higher enchants.

So there would still always be a market for both higher ql items for people who didn't want to grind it out, as well as a market for lower, cheaper items.

To sum: I don't have a dog in the race in current WO, but would like to see priest limitations removed for a STEAM WO server.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2019 at 1:19 AM, Rolf said:

We need to look into the stuff people have done right in WU with QoL improvements and newbie stuff such as the things I read Sklo did.

Music to my ears.  :)  I really do believe that this is one of the most important steps among steps in the right direction. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Amadee said:

Music to my ears.  :)  I really do believe that this is one of the most important steps among steps in the right direction. 

A permanent non fading compass and improve improve are about the greatest things ever that won't actually affect the economy any in a negative way, but are nice little QoLs.

Also whomever made that awesome crop mod where they never die. Bdew maybe?

This means that if you can't get back online for some reason all your work isn't magically wasted just because you couldn't log on at 4 AM to rake and harvest your frickin' digital crops. :D

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

*raises hand*  Big yes from me here!  I think it has a very good chance of being that shot in the arm Wurm has been needing.  And if it doesn't work out as it seems it will, then no harm done since the server will be disconnected initially.

p.s. Although I do still think that removing all priest restrictions would be a healthy thing for WO.  :)

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Damascus said:

The answer is NO ... There other games coming out that can do the same as in Wurm and more with less restrictions .

I have not seen one that doesn't just let you drag & drop building materials for instant gratification (I mean construction). If there is one, please let me know.

Yes, there are plenty of games out there that do parts of what Wurm does a million times better, but I don't see any with the same overall capabilities.

As for Retro's actual question: I would probably at least make an appearance on a Steam version. It might be fun even though I'd miss you guys in GL and on Cele.

Edited by zethreal

Whether or not ogwo players support steamwo, logically people finding wo on steam will play wo through steam and not go looking for the non steam version.  So what are the plans to help ogwo?  Relying on trickle down from steamwo is a bit silly.  Jackal came and yet, here we are ogwo is under 2000 premiums now which is pretty significant...  What's going to happen to help ogwo directly?  We hear all these magical plans of an updated ui and better new player retention but its already been years since promises and how much longer can ogwo sustain just in suspense waiting to stop hemorrhaging?

Ultimately, if steamwo strikes off and has thousands of premium players, and ogwo keeps dwindling down especially faster if people move over to steamwo, what will happen to ogwo since it's implied that if steamwo is a success a merge won't happen anytime soon?  If theres 500 premiums left, will servers be shut down?  Will ogwo be merged into steam?  I feel that isn't very clear how whatever merge there will be will go whether wo is fully on steam or the steamwo experiment could be shut down, though I may have missed an explanation somewhere in the 12 pages.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Bro you are addressing the wrong group of people. If your expectation is the 50-60 veterans that haunt this forum and not the millions of unrelated gamers of Steam, you are doing something wrong. Obviously the people here will be dissatisfied by making WO Steam the flagship as it will deprive them of most of fresh new players and dev attention. What you must be asking yourself young blood, is if you'll get enough Steam gamers to worth this sacrifice.

If WO Stream becomes a sensational success with four digit numbers in player count, the value of the accounts of a dozen veterans is barelly your worry.  It's a risk though but that's how life works. But you can't half-ass this. You can't let the opinion of "wasted material" slow you down. Either commit to it or don't start it at all.

"Whether you all as players would accept a launch on steam" ... T

hat's the dumbest thing any fool has said ... ever :P

Edited by Lordbeerus
  • Like 4

^ I agree with that.. partially....

It doesn't matter what we think.. as it's separated world.. as long rules are relatively the same... shouldn't be an issue to merge later into existing cluster;

Only thing to lose is the cost for a new server and as it's separated from existing clusters.. it's possible to satisfy all steam requirements.. even if that's not possible for the other clusters.... which later could be a problem to merge, but lets hope it doesn't come to any of that.. so things remain flexible if needed to be.

It shouldn't matter what we think... this is both advertisement and pull for fresh blood into the game...

Some might leave WO to play on steam version/server/,  some of the steam players might want to check the original identical clusters with xx years history to get the real feel, neither of us can predict these numbers.

Edited by Finnn

Addressing a couple of points here:

Re priest restrictions:  Everyone can cast on Sklotopolis, yet very few of us will even reach 70 channeling as it's one of the few grinds that's still very WO-esque.  Hell, mine hit 70 and I buy my enchants so no, they didn't hit "irons".  Another option for WO/WOSteam to be more fun is give some but not all spells to non-priests.  Heals and Refresh for Fo, don't ask me about the other gods, never really played them but that's the gist.

Re advertising:

-  Actually go ahead and advertise it for what it is.  ADVERTISE IT AS AN OLDSCHOOL GAME.   There are people who actually look for specifically that.

-  Other games let you terraform, but otherwise are some form of Minecraft where once you got 100 "woods", you click "make 100 wood 'blocks'" and instant materials.  ADVERTISE THE DEEP CLASSLESS SKILLING SYSTEM.

-  FOCUS ON "HOUSES ARE NOT TEMPLATES" aspect, many attempted "wurm killers" are pretty good on paper until you try to build.

-  Make a very clear point about PERSISTENT WORLD.

-  Get your streamers from those games.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Pallas said:

But who will the people on the non-steam cluster sell their stuff too?

Do you play games to sell or buy things from other or to enjoy the game and what it offers as main reason? 🤔

It's new people's world.. they'll figure it out. 🤠

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mordraug said:

Addressing a couple of points here:

Re priest restrictions:  Everyone can cast on Sklotopolis, yet very few of us will even reach 70 channeling as it's one of the few grinds that's still very WO-esque.  Hell, mine hit 70 and I buy my enchants so no, they didn't hit "irons".  Another option for WO/WOSteam to be more fun is give some but not all spells to non-priests.  Heals and Refresh for Fo, don't ask me about the other gods, never really played them but that's the gist.

Sklotopolis is a vastely different server, it is not a fair or accurate representation on what wurm would turn into if X or Y limits were removed.

Whatever you do, please do not add buyable traders to the steam version

Thank you.

Edited by nitram20
  • Cat 1

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

This is exactly why the game is failing and you need to launch on steam.

It really worries me that you care so much about the people on the freedom server think about people playing on another brand new server.

This is a business, think like a business.  These aren't your friends they're your customers.  They're already happy, and continue to play... so you should keep them happy so they continue to pay.  That's where it should stop.

You should now be looking at how to make the most money possible, because frankly that's what the conversation is going to be about in a couple months after your shareholders don't see gains.

With more capital means more game improvements, new content, and additional infrastructure.  So in the end reaching for capital helps both parties.

• Like 1

A business decision would take into account not only having current priest alts not be premed any longer, It would also weigh the added burden of steams cut. Your argument is that the increase in revenue would drastically outweigh those two points. Enough so to make it worth the inherent risk in greatly changing a game mechanic.

Rather than risk existing revenue streams, and alienating loyal customers, why not argue for things that ADD additional revenue to serve as capital for investment?

Beyond that, are we still going to pretend like a separate steam server segregated from WO's current universe will not greatly depress current freedom populations and potentially throw it into a death spiral?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Personally I feel the best idea is to launch a new cluster, and keep them separate. Wurm is an incredible game to play from a fresh beginning; being there as newbies form the first towns, farms, and roads is an awesome thing to be a part of and it's something i sorely miss from way back when i first played. You just can't get that in the current game anymore and it would be a shame to keep a new wave of players from steam from experiencing it by merging the clusters at any point.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jore said:

Personally I feel the best idea is to launch a new cluster, and keep them separate. Wurm is an incredible game to play from a fresh beginning; being there as newbies form the first towns, farms, and roads is an awesome thing to be a part of and it's something i sorely miss from way back when i first played. You just can't get that in the current game anymore and it would be a shame to keep a new wave of players from steam from experiencing it by merging the clusters at any point.

Sure, but eventually new clusters become old ones. Either you merge them eventually or you end up with two separate ancient clusters for no real purpose. 

One of the risks we assessed was players leaving wurm online due to launching a new cluster for steam and the steam cluster failing. This would mean an overall loss, so we decided to speak with the existing playerbase to ensure that when we launch it it will be done with them feeling included and also addressing any issues raised. 

I know many have ideas for what could be different with this wurm edition but we are aiming at keeping the same core experience, qol changes would be to all servers, we aren't planning a ogwo server codebase and a steam wo server code base, they will simply use different clients to connect 

• Like 7

My concern is that people like me will leave WO for Steam WO. I know I will. (I think you saw this effect with jackal)

At that point what is the breaking point, lowest server population for our existing servers that is feasible going forward? When do you decide to combine or shutter the existing OG servers as they become a financial burden?