Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

WO Steam Discussion

While I understand the reasoning having a new server for Steam to attract new players, some things need to be thought through v.carefully, such as:

1.  While the retention rate of new players on WO currently is v.poor, there are some who stay, which means that there are some additions to the player-base, to replace some of those who drop out of the game.

2.  The new Steam server could have areas of both pvp and pve on it to suit both types of players.

3.  It could be sensible to keep the free to play Steam server similar to the current WO experience and once a player starts reaching the 20 caps, to give them the option to move over to a WO server of their choice (freedom or Epic/Chaos) and subscribe if they wish to pass the 20 caps - or to remain on the Steam server at the 20 cap (or maybe it should be a 30 cap?). This would mean the WO player-base would increase from this new venture, without needing mergers.

4.  This new Steam server, free to play, could then be like an "apprenticeship" for WO, which is the core of Code Club business (surely?).

The full effects of the Jackal launch are still to be felt, but it would seem that this new server has thinned out the player population considerably, which is not a healthy sign for WO.  So the effect of having newbies only joining the Steam server and not having the option to come into WO servers needs to be considered v. carefully.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Shmeric said:

What about making the Steam cluster a sort of new Golden Valley with some skill and content limitations?

Remove premium from there completely. Their only expence would be deed and trader dinglins, if they so choose.

Not too big limitations, they should still get about 80% of the real deal. Maybe skills capped at 80, no moon metals and uniques, maybe something else.

But if they want to go full wurmian, if they want to enter the "old world", they need to buy the one way ticket to our cluster, where they can go premium. They can choose to remain free players here as well, but then there's still the skill cap.

Although, some analyst can probably estimate the number of "wtf I quit" threads when a player from the world of 1000 joins the world of 200 and can hear their own echo for half a day in all chats.

This seems a pretty good idea! Steam WO as a precursor to the main game with a buy-in into it with the players current skills. Players starting there can then see an option to advance into the main game with everyone else. Much better I think than the idea that they will always remain isolated from the other servers until maybe, perhaps it might be decided to merge their server into them. Yes, this is like Golden Valley in the old times when you had to pay Premium to get out of it into the broader world of more players and opportunities to interact with them.

But if they want to go full wurmian

Best part of your post! Gharrrr!!

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
+

That means it's just a "demo" or "trial".  No one wants to pick up a "demo" that they have to sink hundreds of hours into just to get shuffled over to "the real game". Not very exciting and few people will respond.  They already had scores of chances at a "demo" version of wurm. Plus, we are right back to the issue of -- new players will NEVER EVER EVER catch up to veteran players.

If you turn this into, "ok your "free trial" is over so now come "compete" against  veterans playing for a decade  who will kick your butt,  ha",  well you have just killed any point to a Steam version.

We already did all that 10 years ago and nothing exists to stop them from just coming to Wurm now, so why sign up for a "steamlite" version that they will almost immediately outgrow? 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Cat 1

I think a separate Steam cluster is a good move, for the reasons stated.  Yes, some veteran players will move to it, or at least try it out - that's the nature of new maps.  

What I'm curious about is, how will the new Steam WO/cluster differentiate itself from Wurm Unlimited servers - aside from being more persistent/less susceptible to vanishing overnight?

15 minutes ago, Baloo said:

2.  The new Steam server could have areas of both pvp and pve on it to suit both types of players.

This

I think a pvp server needs to launch alongside the steam servers, if all you have is pve then people are gonna get bored real fast. Not to mention steam players are more pvp inclined than the folks over here. Basically if u dont launch with pvp people are gonna think wurm is just a building game with no stakes and are gonna leave. If you have the opportunity to get more players through a pvp server then why not do it.

• Like 2

Just now, Olloch said:

This

no, needs to be its own server otherwise people will just run and hide into the pve side whenever they grab the smallest bit of loot

Just now, Brash_Endeavors said:

new players will NEVER EVER EVER catch up to veteran players.

Every skill has a hard 100 cap and theoretically, in the end of the world, all players could be exactly equal ;)

We also need to ask the question - should the new players really be able to catch up with those who have spent 10 years in the game already?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hawkyn said:

What I'm curious about is, how will the new Steam WO/cluster differentiate itself from Wurm Unlimited servers - aside from being more persistent/less susceptible to vanishing overnight?

Because this one is going to get updated, forever!

(Yes yes, just as they once promised WU was, but this time they mean it!)

1 hour ago, Rolf said:

Yeah worth considering for sure.

Or maybe potentially some way for the skills to still raise past 20 but the effectiveness of them to be capped at 20 to entice players to purchase premium.

Also I think linking them to epic would be a smart move as then that would provide the opportunity for pvp without the opening of a second server right off the bat.

I think wurm pvp has some draws and would be a silly thing not to include with this in some form for sure.

Edited by necroe

4 minutes ago, Haseroths said:

no, needs to be its own server otherwise people will just run and hide into the pve side whenever they grab the smallest bit of loot

Just two two linked island like Independence and Chaos

3 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

No one wants to pick up a "demo" that they have to sink hundreds of hours into just to get shuffled over to "the real game".

Not really a demo since players could have the *option* (paid) to transfer over with all their skills and carried items. Let them pay premium and have all the benefits and remain on their Steam WO server forever then if they wish. Just have the option to transfer over to the main servers as some might prefer to do that after some time.

8 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Plus, we are right back to the issue of, new players will NEVER EVER EVER catch up to veteran players.

Isolating each Steam WO server is the only solution then because after a while new players will be added who will never catch up to the others on these servers either. You would need many independent servers with no travel between them. Or wipe the servers after some time like Jackel but few want to loose all they have accomplished. Maybe people really don't want "equality" after all.

=Ayes=

6 minutes ago, Olloch said:

Just two two linked island like Independence and Chaos

yes thats what im asking for, but i think the other comment asked for a hybrid like some of those wu servers have where the server has like a 200x200 tiles of pvp in the middle or w/e. that stuff is really boring because the minute u go in people see you and they just cross over to pve. or they hit then run just to be annoying. its really just carebear pvp

I think it a good idea to start a new steam server.

I think it a bad idea to keep current servers.

I think it a bad idea to make wurm pay to win with cash items shops.

Actually I thought about we needed to merge all servers into one to have wurm survive, to many half empty servers and only way in my mind, is everyone in same boat so all server closes and none survive. Splitting wurm up further that WU already did, I think it a bad idea.

I hope an eventual new pvp server will be only epic style portals, was a big mistake to connect wild to freedom and only caused a lot of pvp issues that would not have happen if thiefs could not sail away to safety with loot.

• Like 5
  • Cat 2

13 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

(Yes yes, just as they once promised WU was, but this time they mean it!)

You are giving me some good laughs these days with some of your comments. :)

=Ayes=

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ayes said:

Not really a demo since players could have the *option* (paid) to transfer over with all their skills and carried items. Let them pay premium and have all the benefits and remain on their Steam WO server forever then if they wish. Just have the option to transfer over to the main servers as some might prefer to do that after some time.

Isolating each Steam WO server is the only solution then because after a while new players will be added who will never catch up to the others on these servers either. You would need many independent servers with no travel between them. Or wipe the servers after some time like Jackel but few want to loose all they have accomplished. Maybe people really don't want "equality" after all.

=Ayes=

how much time took to the first 90 archeology/restauration when the skill was added?

I've thought about this a little and here's what I'm thinking currently.

There's no real reason to think that new players will go to this new launch. Wurm Unlimited has been offered so many times for dirt cheap, just about everyone interested already has it. And even then, you'll still have the issue of people wondering why the hell they'd pay a sub fee when they can pay once and get the game for a lifetime, since players wont know unless they ask someone within the team or community.

In reality I think you'd get a lot of players coming on from vanilla Online, trying to offer help and newbie deeds to actual new players in hopes of poaching them for their deeds on vanilla servers, assuming the merge does happen.

I really do think that a merge is vital at some point during the lifespan of the proposal made. Adding another (hopefully smaller) server isn't a totally horrible idea but only IF player numbers are where they need to be to support a merge. But if player numbers are low after a certain point of time, I think the devs need to be ready to never merge it. Thinning out players even more than they already are on current servers will be a death sentence and another nail in the hypothetical coffin.

I don't think this idea will work. This either needs to be done as a totally seperate entity, with different mechanics to test out how to make the new player experience newer and more tolerable that will not merge or live forever. Or, done as part of the way new accounts are handled with a higher skill cap and slower skillgain past something like twenty. I think a skillcap still needs to exist, otherwise why would very high level accounts pay for premium?

• Cat 1

28 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

That means it's just a "demo" or "trial".  No one wants to pick up a "demo" that they have to sink hundreds of hours into just to get shuffled over to "the real game". Not very exciting and few people will respond.  They already had scores of chances at a "demo" version of wurm. Plus, we are right back to the issue of -- new players will NEVER EVER EVER catch up to veteran players.

The boogieman of veteran players strikes again. What is the issue with veteran players having high skills? On PvE clusters, what is the actual negative effect of people with high skills playing? It's a seriously overblown "issue"

Side note can the forum evolve past 2004 and merge two posts from the same person?

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 2

Yeah this whole new versus old player is just something that bothers people that compare themselves to other players

and not to where they were themselves like a week before in skill.

In reality the game is set so that they can imp their tools to optimal level themselves for maximum skilllgain.

Specially when under 20 skill, then you can imp most things to 30 except items from the harder skills.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shmeric said:

Every skill has a hard 100 cap and theoretically, in the end of the world, all players could be exactly equal

We also need to ask the question - should the new players really be able to catch up with those who have spent 10 years in the game already?

No they shouldn't,i always hated this in every game.. why would they..if everyone should be equal than just start with all skill to 100 and be done with it

whats the point in being a 10 year vet if some few months in players already is as good as you in skills.

• Like 2

Subscriptions, subscriptions...to me this all sounds lazy

Ever heard of content? Monetized as DLCs or via cash shop? I'm a new WU player, never heard of this game before I started and I was shocked by the amount of content or rather lack of. In 12 years old game you sure would expect more. I would gladly buy a DLC with new walls and whatever but you seem to not want money.

• Cat 2

"Well, we would want the client to feel really polished."

Going from how rudimentary WU was for server options, having to shut down your own local server before you can restart your player client, and a GM spawning tool that can't actually find things by name because it seems to search by keyword not literal string comparisons, I guess we'll be waiting a very long time?

Honestly Wurm doesn't even have UI that supports anything past 1080p yet since there's no doubled-up UI mode to help alleviate the lack of scaling, there's no way it's going to feel really polished without some meaningful TLC. (and just to point out, windowed fullscreen still doesn't even scale to the window resolution yet)

And people from WU are going to remember how the wurm dev team wanted them to just roll back drivers and not update their GPU drivers when driver crashes got fixed in WO asap but took 6 months to get a fix for in WU, it shows the kind of support players can expect and just going to steam isn't going to stop that being the reality of Wurm.

Edited by paterso
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

To those asking for a pvp server in support of the pvp community. I am about to deliver a hot take here:

There is no pvp community. Don't waste your time. Freedom is the thing people play on the most and enjoy the most.

• Like 4
  • Cat 1

I can see myself creating a new toon for which the purpose will be to deed some prime land for use when the clusters merge.  Hunting is always hard to find good ground for these days.

Ive always believed using steam would be great for wurm. This is probably the best way to go about it. Im also all for the change in the premium mechanics to be more inline with other mmos and such.

Thanks for including the community in this. Cant wait to see what you guys decide on =D