Sign in to follow this  
Hawkyn

Regional Portals & Portals between Starter Towns

I've played WO a while - 8 years I believe.  I like the epic scale of it, but at the same time... since having been introduced to some QoL features in WU, I've began to feel there can be a balance between epic scale and convenience.  I'm suggesting we consider adding 4 regional portals at every starter town, to the 4 quadrants of each server (NE, NW, SE, SW), as well as portals between the starter towns on Xanadu.  This allows new players exploring a server to more easily reach a desired area at the far end of a server - but it doesn't eliminate risk entirely.  The region they teleport to isn't guaranteed to be safe and will have the same dangers - just without the trek from the start deed to the "region" they're heading to.  It also is added convenience for the existing player base. 

I realize some hardcore folks won't like this, and that's just fine.  Don't use the portals then.  The simple truth is - the game isn't just supported economically by hardcore people.  If the game is going to last long term and we hope to add additional players, there has to be a balance between hardcore and convenience, like many of the other improvements/conveniences that have been added over the years.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

portals from town to town and like you said each quadrant has been suggested before and is to me a good idea .

You still need to get to places from there .

But from server to server is another thing , that would reduce use of  ships in some way if they permitted that ....

Its better then the recall and gate book options some games have like Ultima online , that would just destroy exploration ..plus you priest can summon anyways .

So +1

I don't want to fully disagree for the sake of disagree, but as someone who explores a lot I'd personally feel cheated out of what the game has to offer if the option was there to just fly over 50+% of the map. Of course I also know that If it's not for me I don't need to take it or use it or whatever, and that is true. But knowing that this game has a real world economy I know it would be abused in a matter of seconds.

On the other hand I'd be okay with something like this if you were only allowed to travel without anything but starter tools on your self and only for the first 24 hours kinda like the food buff you get at the start.  Although you can do this by simply doing /suicide as a new player and you can continue to change spawn towns.

WU is built on QoL, it's main attraction is things that are not going to happen in WO or things that will take a long time to become available in WO and the zero sub fees of course. I've experienced a lot of these QoL in WU myself but WU does not effer the same risk/reward that WO does nor the community. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, armyskin said:

+1 to random teleports from starter towns

I know you're trying to talk smack but that's actually a decent idea for new players. My first time I tried WO I gave up (sometime around 2010? Before the graphic update, for sure), because we had to get out of the massively overcrowded spawn area first, which is no fun with no gear, and the endless expanses of civilised land were just demotivating.

Let (new) players be semi-random teleported to a place without deeds using a starter town token or NPC, chosen in a similar, but more lax way as the Rift locations are. Should obviously come with a significant warning that you won't know where you are, and consequently unable to retrieve your stuff when you die, but it should be fun for the more adventurous souls.

• Like 1

Also allows old players with alts to do sketchy things around the map.

Had this in rust... it was the most OP ***** feature of them all... able to teleport around naked.. and recon the areas.. even if you didn't know there exactly you were.. you were able to see things you can not unsee.. slightest clue about the direction where you were gives you the way to get back there to do w/e.. you've seen and now after...

alts... sketchy things crawling around, it might not be what it's designed for.. but it's what could be used

New players aren't meant to cover large distances in the game without a mount etc... HELL.. even scale armored person could have a challenge moving from 1 corner of the map to the other... without a mount..

It's not that kind of a game where your skill or gear gives you much vs rng spawns around you and the aggro etc... 

Who says new players can do that? Grab a mount, or get a friend or taxi.. to move you safely from a to b.. ez / well that's the current solution..

If this feature goes to epic, I personally do not care.

If we talk about freedom.. I'd much more like to have player-made teleports linking deeds/alliances around the map than random new cluster**** locations where all nubs and alts will start from.

Oh I wasn't talking smack. Random teleports have been some of the most memorable times I have had in wurm.

i believe every starter town should have a portal to all the other starter towns..
I believe there's one such portal at Haven's Landing but when i offered advice to a newbie at a different starter town, said portal did not exist.
+1

• Like 1

Inter server portals were discussed, but with the rites offering 5 hours sb by praying 24 hours after it becomes a bit easily cheesed

• Cat 1