Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Wurm Navigation QoL

This suggestion i inspired by the following two topics taken into conjunction:

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/171743-quality-of-life-changes-to-keep-new-players/

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/171742-long-term-player-count-observation/

At the moment, wurm's ingame map is pretty useless for navigation. However, one of the essential charms of wurm is the feeling of not knowing your exact location.  So I propose the following modifications.

1.  Allow a player to use a compass on themselves to mark their location on the ingame map (put a long timer on it to discourage constant use)

2.  Allow players to share pins with each other (right click, share, paste into chat)

3.  Let us enchant compasses to add extra markers on them - for example, lurker in the dark pointing to owned land vehicles, lurker in the deep pointing to owned boats, lurker in the woods pointing to a player's  branded animals, and locate soul pointing to a player's own corpses.  These locator runes could be range limited by cast, and show up much slower than the compass settles.

4.  Let us pay a small feet (5c) at a deed token to have an owned vehicle marked on the ingame map (chosen from a dropdown menu).  Losing a boat/wagon is devestating at any point in the game.  (edit)

Obligatory Anti-This-Will-Break-Pvp note - Just entirely disable all of the above on PvP servers to avoid balance issues.

The changes above offer us all useful features, but do not enforce their use and subtract from the charm of wurm.

Edited by Etherdrifter
  • Like 1

i enjoy myself for being able to locate myself without this features, so i dont like the idea.

not going to put -1 here, neither the +1

On 9/21/2019 at 8:48 AM, Etherdrifter said:

1.  Allow a player to use a compass on themselves to mark their location on the ingame map (put a long timer on it to discourage constant use)

2.  Allow players to share pins with each other (right click, share, paste into chat)

3.  Let us enchant compasses to add extra markers on them - for example, lurker in the dark pointing to owned land vehicles, lurker in the deep pointing to owned boats, lurker in the woods pointing to a player's  branded animals, and locate soul pointing to a player's own corpses.  These locator runes could be range limited by cast, and show up much slower than the compass settles.

4.  Let us pay a small feet (5c) at a deed token to have an owned vehicle marked on the ingame map (chosen from a dropdown menu).  Losing a boat/wagon is devestating at any point in the game.  (edit)

Interesting but i say let us pay a large toe, i like small feet and i don't want to sell any from amongst my collection
+1

I also prefer small feet but pride myself on my ability to utilize terrain association and situational awareness to know where i am even when exploring new locations. Having the game tell you where you stand takes away from the risk and ultimately from the reward of exploring. It would speed up corpse recovery but so does the other skills I mentioned.

• Cat 1