Sign in to follow this  
jonsnow

Quality of Life changes to keep new players!

It would be a simple thing to make it so if a tent is in the hold of a ship then it acts as a spawn point.  Also, Why do things decay so fast on a boat!  I put my armor on there and regretted it -_-

On 9/21/2019 at 5:20 AM, Mordraug said:

Wonka was a bit of a ######, to be honest.

...says the guy who is a bit of a ###### ###### ###### ### ###.  But we digress.

Jonsnow, I'm not suggesting that there shouldn't be more options for finding a corpse, I'm saying that there are already multiple ways to avoid the lost corpse issue.  They're not all easy for a brand new player to achieve, but then, they shouldn't be.  Was your brand-new-to-wurm friend playing on Jackal, which clearly isn't intended for new players?  If so, that probably didn't help - the problem is substantially less acute on the main servers.  And I say that having had to bid farewell to several corpses on Jackal myself (pelt 1, you will not be forgotten!) it's never nice, but it's not supposed to be.  This isn't a git gud comment, I'm saying that ending up in the situation of lost corpse with all my stuff is the end result of a series of decisions, with multiple ways to avoid that conclusion.  Better tutorials or documentation might be helpful here, although I guess there's plenty who will get into this mess having not read any of the documentation anyway, and having skipped the tutorial anyway.

I can see some arguments for tweaking the options slightly (karma costs, make corpses more visible up close, etc), but you're proposing a complete rip and replace overhaul of the system, because in your opinion, "... corpse retrieval in it's current form is junk"; I disagree with that conclusion, and not because I don't lose my own corpses from time to time.

and what i'm saying is that's called a bad game experience.  Something typically you want to avoid if you want to keep your player base.

It doesn't add to the experience of wurm, that's that.  It's just... tedious, annoying, and not even implemented well (not being able to find it easily, grass covering/clipping it, etc).

I could see in the future having a hardcore server with a hardcore ruleset, but if we're trying to appeal to as many players as possible this current system IS junk.

Edited by jonsnow

On 9/19/2019 at 3:13 PM, jonsnow said:

This has nothing to do with the economy, or adding anything to the game.  All these features serve to only waste your time.

To you that responded, you probably have a billion hours in your moms house to play all day without a job.  For us with kids, family, and a job that works us 50-60 hours a week...  We'd like to enjoy wurm, not be frustrated by it.  That means making things convenient and easy when they add no tangible benefit to the experience of playing Wurm.  Having played Wurm since it launched, I can tell you that the map one especially has left me frustrated and when I decide whether I want to invest the little time my child gives me to play a video game (usually during naps and evenings) trying to find my corpse for hours, or watching a movie I'm going to choose to watch a movie.  Especially since I might not find it, then have to stay up late in order to find it because if I Don't find it I'm losing hours on hours of gear.  Karma only works if you're an experienced player, to a brand new player it's just pure frustration. 

I could understand all these on Jackal, and Epic but on Freedom it doesn't make any sense at all that you have a carebear pve server where everyone spends their time crafting and building up their cities to have frustrating game mechanics like this especially since Freedom is where every new player starts.

At some point Wurm Online needs to recreate the new player experience, they can't continue to just rely on the 50 vets with 20 alts paying for the servers.  

Perhaps try WU then? It was created for people like yourself.

Also, i can't take you seriously when you ask for a feature (teamchat) that is already in the game and has been since... forever.

And if for some reason it's not good enough for you, there is a built in IRC chat. 

Edited by atazs

On 9/19/2019 at 10:04 AM, Legios said:

All those choices you made like a family and a job and moving out of your mom's basement are yours to live with not to burden others with.

This cut me deep. Why did I do this to myself! Job, house, wife, children! ######. Lol