Sign in to follow this  
jonsnow

Quality of Life changes to keep new players!

First off, you should ask yourself... does this add anything meaningful to the game experience, or is it just a complete and utter frustrating experience?

1.  Boats aren't spawn points.  On PVP I get it... on PVE, it's just going to mean you spend all this time making a boat, and if you're like me (you have crappy optimum for internet provider) you will lag spike occasionally, and die.  To a new player, who doesn't know about tents they'd sail off die and then probably quit the game!  Imagine sailing for an hour or two not knowing where you died, the map doesn't show you where you are, and you can't find the damn body to save yourself.  I already witnessed this on jackal without a boat, someone died and their stuff was too hard to find so he said the game was crap and quit.  It seems to me that we've already put enough effort into making our boat that if you land the boat it should act as a spawn point.   Quality of Life improvement #1.

2.  Why do we have to go get our stuff after death?  I can understand on PVP, once again... where it makes sense.  On Freedom servers?  What the heck?  It doesn't get more carebear than freedom servers, so why do we have to spend hours trying to find our body when we may have died as of no fault of our own? (Both times I've died, it took me 2-3 hours to find the body and I died because I dc'd while moving about in the wilderness).

3. Just show us on the map already.  It's Absolutely infuriating trying to find a friend.  Hey I'm over here... where the water... meets the trees.  The mountains all look the same, yeah... good luck.  Or hey you want to join my town?  You've already used up your free teleport?  Well it's 6 hours away, by this landmark.  Good luck.

4.  Why is there no create group chat function?  Having to private message 4-5 different people, as you're starting out on jackal and trying to decide where to place your city just seems silly.  Allow us to create new chat tabs for conversations with multiple people.

Edited by jonsnow
  • Cat 1

1) You start with a tent at the start of a new account. In jackal, if you can build a boat you can probably build a tent... if you have the tutorial enabled as a new player you'd probably learn about this also although I doubt as a new player you'd jump right into jackal since it's not really accessible to everyone right as soon as they begin playing the game, at least it's hella unlikely.

2) The game has a real world economy so there has to be some weight behind the decisions you make, rather good or bad you're gonna spend hours if not days trying to find your body as consequence of your decisions and risk.

3) This is a skill you eventually developed by exploring, but a map can be helpful although I'm guessing you're talking about Jackal, the unknown world we have all traveled to. Having a map would honestly destroy any kind of mystery behind the whole update.

4) There is a team system which creates a group chat.

I still don't fully believe there are new players in jackal but returning players, multiple of which are running multiple accounts but that is just my opinion. JONSMOW!

Edited by Legios
  • Like 5

-1 to all of it.

If those are QoL changes, then why not suggest automated crafting, helper NPCs and removal of skill system?

QoL suggestion! give us cheat codes so we dont have to play the game without mindless grinding and exploring. 

Boat spawn i could somehow understand althought there is tents, but not the others.

The game itself is meant to be an adventure that takes time and with a risk involved that you might not see your stuff anymore. Map sometimes would be nice where you can see yourself moving.. but then again it kills few other crucial parts of the game.

This has nothing to do with the economy, or adding anything to the game.  All these features serve to only waste your time.

To you that responded, you probably have a billion hours in your moms house to play all day without a job.  For us with kids, family, and a job that works us 50-60 hours a week...  We'd like to enjoy wurm, not be frustrated by it.  That means making things convenient and easy when they add no tangible benefit to the experience of playing Wurm.  Having played Wurm since it launched, I can tell you that the map one especially has left me frustrated and when I decide whether I want to invest the little time my child gives me to play a video game (usually during naps and evenings) trying to find my corpse for hours, or watching a movie I'm going to choose to watch a movie.  Especially since I might not find it, then have to stay up late in order to find it because if I Don't find it I'm losing hours on hours of gear.  Karma only works if you're an experienced player, to a brand new player it's just pure frustration. 

I could understand all these on Jackal, and Epic but on Freedom it doesn't make any sense at all that you have a carebear pve server where everyone spends their time crafting and building up their cities to have frustrating game mechanics like this especially since Freedom is where every new player starts.

At some point Wurm Online needs to recreate the new player experience, they can't continue to just rely on the 50 vets with 20 alts paying for the servers.  

Edited by jonsnow

I lost my corpse the first years one or two times, it was annoying, I agree, but most of all I was mad at myself for putting myself into situations where I got killed..

I am no fan of WOW, but I remember they have something of a ''spirit phase'' after you are killed. You run towards your corpse when you are killed and cannot interact with the environment, you also dont have Climbing or swimming restrictions. Perhaps this is something that can be added as (cheaper) karma option as ONE corpse of you exists on the server. The expensive karma option remaining retrieve corpse or so. 

The location of your corpse is marked like a rift zone is marked, with a colored pillar. 

When  you reach your corpse, you examine the situation, is it safe to enter it again, or are the mobs still around….. hmm how to decide now…..

1 nobody wants a ton of new boats to be placed all over the maps and to be dumped when players go afk or quit, these things take a while to be-gone...

2 sure.. this sucks.. but also teaches you to value your sh.., my 1st death.. made me to lose all my sh.. backpack, bowl, some tools or w/e I have gathered.. sh.. luck.. but gives you a lesson to use your tent's inventory or to make a shed and to not just explore aimlessly without a clue where you are on the map, something .. that's kind of useful.. to find your way around in the game.

3 too ez, no need if you are on small server

4 game forces gl/freedom chat on you.. oh hell how bad that could be...
I'll admit that you could use a 'group chat' with 10-30 of your closer friends... but than.. you are dead in the game.. you'll never use the global chat as you have your comfy corner to hide from other social talks with randoms.

Given some GL-alts are trash.. and half have ignored you, what do you lose to just join in the big scythe/pong fights, warr's tales and tamat's opinions about fishing.. learn to make new friends, they are all around the corner... creeping.....

46 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

This has nothing to do with the economy, or adding anything to the game.  All these features serve to only waste your time.

To you that responded, you probably have a billion hours in your moms house to play all day without a job.  For us with kids, family, and a job that works us 50-60 hours a week...  We'd like to enjoy wurm, not be frustrated by it.  That means making things convenient and easy when they add no tangible benefit to the experience of playing Wurm.  Having played Wurm since it launched, I can tell you that the map one especially has left me frustrated and when I decide whether I want to invest the little time my child gives me to play a video game (usually during naps and evenings) trying to find my corpse for hours, or watching a movie I'm going to choose to watch a movie.  Especially since I might not find it, then have to stay up late in order to find it because if I Don't find it I'm losing hours on hours of gear.  Karma only works if you're an experienced player, to a brand new player it's just pure frustration. 

I could understand all these on Jackal, and Epic but on Freedom it doesn't make any sense at all that you have a carebear pve server where everyone spends their time crafting and building up their cities to have frustrating game mechanics like this especially since Freedom is where every new player starts.

At some point Wurm Online needs to recreate the new player experience, they can't continue to just rely on the 50 vets with 20 alts paying for the servers.  

Sounds like Wurm Unlimited is better for you. All those choices you made like a family and a job and moving out of your mom's basement are yours to live with not to burden others with. Wurm Online has always been a life style, not an arcade game you can sit down for 2 hours and play and get much done. This would fall under my Number 2 answer, there was a risk and a reward. At this point this whole thing just feels like a suggestion by someone who had a shitty first day in Jackal. 

New players should stay close to their main base/camp/homestead while they learn the game. The starting area around Haven's Landing is designed very well for this purpose. Then they could gradually explore the area further away from it and move onward when they feel more confident to do so, with a new place to settle perhaps scouted out ahead of time. A reckless exploration into the wilderness will lead to the results you mentioned, whether it be from mobs or just occasional lag within the game.

The new player experience is pretty good now with even recent improvements made to it. New players could play for months in Haven's Landing perimeter or staying close to the starter Villages on various servers in relative safety. Beyond that one must accept the risks.

=Ayes=

The whole waaa-my-corpse thing is just plain wrong.  You choose to go exploring in the dangerous places, or you choose to stay home.  If you go exploring, you choose whether to take all your valuables with you, or whether to just take the bare minimum.  If you've only got an hour or so to play, heading off into the wild hinterland with everything you own in your back pocket is your own stupid decision, why should you not suffer the risk and consequences of that?  Dropping a deed (or a newbie shack if you don't want to spend silver) is trivial, and every (pve) server includes a safer zone around the spawn.

Also, you can create a team, which includes its own chat.  Or use something like discord, if you prefer.

There are player-made maps of Jackal emerging (I've seen 2 completely different ones so far, and I'm sure there are others).  It's also entirely possible to navigate without a map.  Y'know, by actually looking at what's around you.  Jackal has had an olive season, so you should have some sort of compass by now as well, being the super-experienced player that you are.

Perhaps, instead of bitching and whining about how hard the game is, try learning how to use the facilities that are already provided to you.

Wonka this is exactly the reason players like you are ruining wurm!  That attitude exists here, because everyone who felt otherwise already left from their poor experience!

A game shouldn't be catering to the small majority of players who remain because they like a crappy feature.  They should be looking at how to keep players around, and corpse retrieval in it's current form is junk.

show it on the map, and let us see where it is, or have a beacon highlight the location or something.  Anything is better than the current form.  The forests aren't exactly easy to navigate as is.   Sometimes we die due to faults not our own, we get lag stuck or whatever.

I'm not particularly affected by this.  I just lost a friend I was playing with because he couldn't find his corpse, he was new to the game and spent 3 hours trying to find it.  He hasn't logged on since.  His voice is my voice now.  He was a regular player every day logging in until this experience.  

The community is killing this game.  It's completely unwilling to adapt to the times, and change to attract a new player base.  Hopefully the new company doesn't cater to the few remaining players and looks to the potential players it could have.

I got this craze for myself, whenever I go out I take a tent, when I see that I am going to die, put the tent down when the monster is attacking. the game allows it, then you wonder, but I'll be born in the tent and the monsters will be there, yes you, drop the items on your body and take the monsters with your empty inventory away, and after you die you will have time to Pick up all the items. The game is actually quite complex, but it does teach you how to survive.

You're trying to attract people that nearly always won't ever want to play a slow paced game like wurm. If they can't figure out how to find a corpse, or ask for help finding a corpse from a priest that can locate it with a spell, or navigate a map, or look for landmarks, or use the highway that gives directions to most deeds on a server and very easily find where you are comparing deed names/distances to the maps on the forums, then pretty much everything about this game isn't going to appeal to them.

tell me about how i'm the kind of player ruining wurm, tears sustain me

• Like 4

You just insulted people who disagree with you, on a personal level making assumptions about their lives or alleged lack of... then complain about bad attitudes

👌

• Like 9
  • Cat 1

I have noticed some people lean all the way right  and others left  , there is space between ...

Having summon corps using karma reduced to 1000 karma or 1500 be better option ?

As for corps runs , a lot of games had it and still do , other wise why bother playing you can just die and reappear at home ...

The ship as a spawn point ?? if it was a large ship and can only to your ship and only one , you are given a ticket to bless that ship and that is it , so that way you can not  flood the server with them .

As for a marker , I have had times were I died and could not see body it was partially under ground , so a small beam of light may be handy ..

Why is it an insult to live with your parents?  I wish I could still do that!  Lol...

I'm just jealous of their free time.  When I started jackal there are people who were doubling my skill every day.  Was amazed and jealous :P

Still, this community makes me so angry!  They are so rigged and stuck in their views.  No room for improvement or change.

Exactly Damascus, it's not like I'm not willing to consider other versions of the idea.  It's the fact that some just shoot down immediately new ideas because "this is wurm, get gud".  Or this attitude that "They're just not people who would enjoy wurm".

I've ran a business before, and I can tell you that if they came in the door they wanted to spend money.  That's the case with players.  They came in the door, they wanted to play the game.  Something in the game prevented them from playing it and seeing it as a worthwhile investment.  

For a new player to stumble on wurm means they were specifically looking for a game like this, as there's absolutely no advertising.  You have to dig to find it.

Addressing the OP- The one thing I would comment on as a suggestion that could use some thought is the idea of a boat serving as a spawn point.  The problem the op was addressing with this is that often a player can be disconnected while sailing and possibly die. I've not experienced that, but if I did die through no fault of my own while sailing, it would suck if I died and could not get back to my body and the ship I'd set sail in.  If that is truly an issue, it makes sense to request that you get the option to respawn in your boat.  Not sure how much of an issue that really is though.

The second and third suggestions would be a -1 from me. PvE is not supposed to be easy. Have care when deciding to roam about, and plan accordingly. Drop a tent when in danger of death so that you can respawn at your corpse, and learn the map and terrain. Most major roads are clearly marked on the community maps, and enough player deeds are marked that you can figure out where you are with minimal effort when walking or riding about. Also, the elevation feature on the online community maps show mountains and valleys and such- very useful when sailing, you just need to learn how to read them and compare to your surroundings.

On the issue of ships though, I've often thought it might be nice to be able to actually live out of a large ship, as in having a wandering deed of sorts where the vessel itself was deeded.  Of course that would mean bringing a lot of new stuff to ships- being able to walk around on them and even "go below deck" (which takes the player inside the ship to walk about and work in a small area) and place forges of some type and such so one could have work space on board.  Space would be very limited by necessity, but that would only add to the charm of living off of a ship.  Sort of a 1s/month mini wandering ship deed sort of thing.  Maybe only the largest ship would have this option, and only with this ship could one respawn "at deed" (on board) upon death. Decay of items and resources on such a ship would be zero as well, of course, which would be a big deal.

Just a random thought I have had that I thought to throw out there that the OP reminded me of.

You’re preaching to the wrong crowd brother.  I actually would love to see some minor QoL improvements in WO - much like I’ve seen in WU.  I’m talking minor but impactful changes that would make the game more real life friendly but no less grindy and still challenging.  

However I gave up a while ago.  Most of the folks here see suggestions like this as “easy mode” or a watered down version of the WO they’ve played for years.  They don’t want it more convenient.  

There’s no right or wrong but I feel you’re wasting your time.

A lot of people don't want the afford they put into there characters over the years feel wasted .

They did that to Ultima Online with making becoming a smith or tinker take 1 week , at one time it was 6 months .

Players felt cheated ..

Just wait and see what happens with new owners and the road map they have planned and go from that .

I renewed my account and ill ride it out.

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

A lot of people don't want the afford they put into there characters over the years feel wasted .

They did that to Ultima Online with making becoming a smith or tinker take 1 week , at one time it was 6 months .

Players felt cheated ..

Just wait and see what happens with new owners and the road map they have planned and go from that .

I renewed my account and ill ride it out.

Yeah I can appreciate that.  I’m going to continue playing both WO and WU and hopefully positive things will come.

17 hours ago, Vomusu said:

1. Tent

2. Karma "summon corpse"

3. Summon Soul

4. Team chat

new players dont have enough karma to summon corpses (3000) and most dont even considere do mission because skill, also they will die a lot so maybe reduce karma cost is good for everybody.
not using external things when playing wurm is good idea, also we can use a the built in IRC for groups too

• Like 1

yea some aspects were pretty frustrating at the start.  something would have helped me is go through a mandatory tutorial at the beginning where you have turn climb on and climb a hill, where you have to fight a wild cat, where you have to create a raft or edit the rowboat recipe to where it is even easier to make, like 25 materials each, where you show the player how to activate a tool, how to heal your wounds.  this game seem to be a learn yourself or ask kind of game, but new player NEED to know how to play before stepping into real game.

• Like 1

Google "Doctrines of Wurm".... it'll save you some frustration dealing with the "elites" when making future suggestions.

On 9/19/2019 at 10:53 AM, SmeJack said:

You just insulted people who disagree with you, on a personal level making assumptions about their lives or alleged lack of... then complain about bad attitudes

👌

Wonka was a bit of a ######, to be honest.