Sign in to follow this  
Wiolo

Question about shattering

Is the information provided by the wiki accurate? And if not so, what level of failure in a cast power do I need to shatter an item relative to tool QL?

It's on the right track but not fully accurate.

The successful casts have a value of 0 or higher, and the unsuccessful a negative value. If the absolute value of the unsuccessful cast is lower than a third of the QL of the item then nothing happens. If the cast falls between one third of the QL and the QL then the item takes damage. If the absolute value of the unsuccessful cast is higher than the QL of the item it is shattered. Higher QL items are therefore less likely to shatter than low QL ones.

Some examples of how it works:

• A 30QL item will shatter if the power of the cast is worse than -30 and take damage if the power is worse than -10
  • A 30QL item will remain unharmed if the power of the cast is -9 or higher
  • A 90QL item will shatter only if the cast is worse than -90 and take damage starting at a power of -30
  • A 90QL item will remain unharmed if the power of the cast is -29 or higher

All of this is correct.

The absolute range of power generated is not actually known, but from observations it is seen to range from at least -250 to + 103. At low skill levels on harder spells it is quite easy to get higher negative casts and unless you use higher quality items you can shatter a significant portion of the items being cast on. As you raise your skills and attributes you will be able to see the median moving.

The range of power is exactly -100 to 100. Otherwise, this is all correct.

An important note is that the system is such that it is impossible to guarantee that an item being cast on will not shatter. At higher skills with higher quality items it will be very unlikely but it cannot be ruled out even then.

Mostly correct. There's a 1% chance to shatter an item. It is modified by shatter resistance (rune for example) so having 10% shatter resistance rune brings the chance down to 0.9% chance to shatter on every cast. This is an outdated statement in a way since metallic liquid does in fact guarantee the item will not shatter.

Additional Information: What this is also misinterpreting is 101 and higher casts. All casts of 101 and higher are done on items that have a lower power enchant on the item. For each 20 power you improve the cast on an item, you gain an additional power. For example, if you're casting Circle of Cunning and land a 20 power cast, it will have a power of 20 on the resulting enchant. If you then cast a 60 power Circle of Cunning, you get a "bonus" 2 power from the improvement process, resulting in a Circle of Cunning 62. 104 casts previously were the result of casting a ~100 on an item with ~0-19 power already on it. In theory a 104.99 could be cast, but it would always be rounded down to 104 in display since it always removes the decimal points.

However, as of the addition of the priest journal reward, cast power can go to 105 naturally. With that in place, you can now obtain an item with a power slightly over 110 (and it will display as 110) by casting a 105 power cast on an item which already has a 1-4 power cast on it.

Edited by Sindusk
Minor correction with the cast power to obtain 104's.
  • Like 1

@SinduskNice! I knew there was a little more to it than I knew! Thank you so much. The 1% shatter chance thing is new to me.

This thread may be closed.

Edited by Wiolo

It's actually less than 1% chance - it's 1% ONLY if the cast is under 0 power, and this is checked AFTER the metal resistance check. 

4 hours ago, darthryan said:

It's actually less than 1% chance - it's 1% ONLY if the cast is under 0 power, and this is checked AFTER the metal resistance check. 

I think that goes without saying.

On 9/19/2019 at 2:17 AM, Wiolo said:

I think that goes without saying.

I actually didn't know that. But it makes much more sense now and the chance is way more coherent with my experience in casting, with it being spelled out.

On 9/18/2019 at 12:51 PM, Sindusk said:

Additional Information: What this is also misinterpreting is 101 and higher casts. All casts of 101 and higher are done on items that have a lower power enchant on the item. For each 20 power you improve the cast on an item, you gain an additional power. For example, if you're casting Circle of Cunning and land a 20 power cast, it will have a power of 20 on the resulting enchant. If you then cast a 60 power Circle of Cunning, you get a "bonus" 2 power from the improvement process, resulting in a Circle of Cunning 62. 104 casts previously were the result of casting a ~100 on an item with ~0-19 power already on it. In theory a 104.99 could be cast, but it would always be rounded down to 104 in display since it always removes the decimal points.

However, as of the addition of the priest journal reward, cast power can go to 105 naturally. With that in place, you can now obtain an item with a power slightly over 110 (and it will display as 110) by casting a 105 power cast on an item which already has a 1-4 power cast on it.

That's an odd mechanism. So I can only get a "natural" 105 cast (without journal bonus) when doing a 100 cast on a 0 power existing cast? (Conversely for your example, which has a bit more slack)

And if I improve a cast by less than 20 points, I diminish and possibly squander my chance to get an extra point because it's unlikely I get an even higher cast to exceed the 20 threshold from a now elevated baseline?

Just wondering what this is supposed to do except introduce even more RNG dependent success into enchanting.

• Like 1