Agatino

Suggestions for a better 'alternative' server akin to Jackal and Epic

Recommended Posts

This is by no means comprehensive, but pieces of a puzzle that would lead to a far more interesting server with a different ruleset from Freedom (bold for emphasis--this is meant to be a departure)

 

Fresh start with a form of "permadeath" where you revert to a fresh set of skills on death (very important to the premise, keep reading)

Harder mobs with actual rewards. Make these strong enough to challenge so-called 'God' accounts, and to require grouping by everyone else. Give skill on death commiserate to the effort involved. Add to this RNG skill tics similar to what you get by saccing supreme (and for harder mobs, fantastic) items. Emphasis on this being danger that contributes to a threatening overworld beyond PvP. This combined with the "permadeath" should contribute to a need to be careful every time you leave your deed, regardless of server population.

 

Logic: The above means that the issue of skill creep will be mitigated through the constant cycling of high and low skilled characters, which the below will also assist with

 

Remove death tabs (contributes to a mindgame aspect: you're faced with a couple of enemies and you're known for having this super strong account, but you've recently died--do you hope they flee, or do you run and risk them realizing that you've lost your skills?)

Remove mid-battle repairing of structures and adjust numbers as needed. (This should've never been a thing, ditto for gate-hopping. If you're under siege, you need to deal with the problem or die, not turtle and hope they give up.)

 

The impact of skills with regards to smithing, casting, etc. should be magnified, but the difficulty of skilling should go through the absolute roof. Do you want to try and dedicate resources to your weapon smith to try and get something more than 20 quality weapons? Or perhaps to your armorsmith for more defense? This should be a choice that needs to be made by the entire group. Tweak numbers so you can only imp to your current skill, even at low levels, and triple the effectiveness of gear.

 

Priests: this should be a massive undertaking that could provide a big risk, but also a big payoff. Gear enchants should have a minimum 50% shatter rate (or higher!), and the effectiveness should be several times over what it is now. Make channeling incredibly difficult to grind, and nerf favor rates (both natural and otherwise) into the ground. Make a 10 power cast equal to a 100 cast now. (The idea of this is that a weak cast is well worth using, but it gets exponentially more powerful the more risk you put into it. It should also take a massive investment to do so. Casts other than nimbleness/wind of ages should have numbers tweaked as needed. Damage/healing casts should be balanced in an entirely different way, perhaps with something like Life Transfer actually removing a portion of your weapon's damage for the healing--this should make 'tanking' a thing, especially if skills like Taunt and Shield Bash are adjusted. Damage enchants could be changed to do something like removing a part of your own health with every attack, necessitating dedicated healers, or with your own maximum health being reduced by a fraction proportional to the extra damage you deal.)

 

To re-emphasize, skills should be far harder to come by and rates should be a fraction of what they are now. All of these together would breathe new life into a game with a solid foundation, especially coupled with other tweaks not mentioned.

 

Thanks for reading!

 

TL;DR: read the entire thing.

 

 

Edited by Agatino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the bit about remove death tabs so the other team doesn't know you died, as if discord doesn't provide voice comms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reached "permadeath", color me amused, this is dead idea already, been wondering what drugs you're on after reading the title.. if you could just share that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, armyskin said:

I love the bit about remove death tabs so the other team doesn't know you died, as if discord doesn't provide voice comms.

 

This is referring to when you die in PvE. Because it's actually intended to be threatening now.

 

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

I reached "permadeath", color me amused, this is dead idea already, been wondering what drugs you're on after reading the title.. if you could just share that?

 

Your Freedom skills are safe, carebear. That means to peel off the dunce cap, buckle up, and read the rest of the thread so you can actually contribute. Thanks!

Edited by Agatino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely think that a permadeath server would be fun. Instead of a true permadeath server, you could also set it up so that yes, your skills all reset to starting, but you get x3 until you get to your highest in that skill. That way you don't lose everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zethreal said:

I definitely think that a permadeath server would be fun. Instead of a true permadeath server, you could also set it up so that yes, your skills all reset to starting, but you get x3 until you get to your highest in that skill. That way you don't lose everything. 

 

That could definitely be an interesting tweak on it. While discussing this with friends, I'd realized that it could mean trouble if there's only two kingdoms and one actually manages to completely wipe the other. This suggestion helps, and I feel like having 'seasons' (like certain ARPGs such as Diablo) would assist as well--have a season of, say 3 months, and once that season is over with, you wipe the server and refund upkeep silver to kingdom coffers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still curious about the drugs..... 😕 

 

Yet.. I see only potential in the priest 10/100 cast etc.. but........ that kills the skill grind a bit... while.. you can basically.. still grind on hundreds of gear pieces as making and improving gear is passive time killer in wurm for the skill grinders.... priests just get to keep trying to create a legendary by reaching 100 or as close as they could... doesn't change the current 104 goal, just slightly shifts things around, no?

 

Yea.. carebear stuff.. for pve the idea is absolute bore world where nobody wants to login... pvp.. idk how wurm pvpers work or think or .. I do not understand the folks.. even they have given up trying to understand or play with other pvpers... 

Else we'd have a post or section in forums where people want to start pvp-ing.... it just seems that whole pvp thing was big groups vs smaller groups vs new players.. once new ones stopped playing.. bigger ones ate the others than starved the group and server and whole thing died.... well.. besides a small detail around that story.. seems to be quite the story.

 

Your new world is a slight rng here and there around existing things, not much changed.. other than .. rng rng rng.. cool but.. that alone is just boredom with a ribbon, come up with an actual purpose to fight there.. What is going to keep people to rng their rng in a week, month, year, 5+ ?

Current model have survived for 10-15~ There must be a reason... well a few... build around them or start a new

 

That is why jackal have potential..../new world, separated from it all, you can get all sorts of new things there and 'break the game' without breaking the game.. as it resets, how much we do not have confirmation on that one... so far.. but all that have been scratched as possible is now on the board as an option to be seen there..
...open new portals from jackal to depths of jackal, hearth of hate or w/e.. come up with a catchy name that will hook you/if that's a thing/.. throw all cool things in there.. than laugh at them.. moon metals, dragon bits, rarity, etc.. just make them look like low ql cloth armor.. introduce a brand new crazy set of gear you can get by slaying creatures there.

You want death? Introduce strong opponents and means to survive against them.. as you get more confident about your powers.. you're bound to underestimate your opponent or overestimate your powers, whichever the case.. leading to your death..

oh.. yea.. make that pvp lands or portion of it.. where there's something more valuable to gain.. so people have something to fight about.. could be crystals to drain source and power up their gear, or new metals.. 

Ganking local creatures? sure.. do that.. "the more people you stack on them, the less they get to dodge right", how about enraging them with the higher number of you around them.. making their attacks more fierce instead? Than you have to get gud to kill such.. rather than debuff to gank them for the resource they hold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Still curious about the drugs..... 😕 

 

Yet.. I see only potential in the priest 10/100 cast etc.. but........ that kills the skill grind a bit... while.. you can basically.. still grind on hundreds of gear pieces as making and improving gear is passive time killer in wurm for the skill grinders.... priests just get to keep trying to create a legendary by reaching 100 or as close as they could... doesn't change the current 104 goal, just slightly shifts things around, no?

 

Yea.. carebear stuff.. for pve the idea is absolute bore world where nobody wants to login... pvp.. idk how wurm pvpers work or think or .. I do not understand the folks.. even they have given up trying to understand or play with other pvpers... 

Else we'd have a post or section in forums where people want to start pvp-ing.... it just seems that whole pvp thing was big groups vs smaller groups vs new players.. once new ones stopped playing.. bigger ones ate the others than starved the group and server and whole thing died.... well.. besides a small detail around that story.. seems to be quite the story.

 

Your new world is a slight rng here and there around existing things, not much changed.. other than .. rng rng rng.. cool but.. that alone is just boredom with a ribbon, come up with an actual purpose to fight there.. What is going to keep people to rng their rng in a week, month, year, 5+ ?

Current model have survived for 10-15~ There must be a reason... well a few... build around them or start a new

 

That is why jackal have potential..../new world, separated from it all, you can get all sorts of new things there and 'break the game' without breaking the game.. as it resets, how much we do not have confirmation on that one... so far.. but all that have been scratched as possible is now on the board as an option to be seen there..
...open new portals from jackal to depths of jackal, hearth of hate or w/e.. come up with a catchy name that will hook you/if that's a thing/.. throw all cool things in there.. than laugh at them.. moon metals, dragon bits, rarity, etc.. just make them look like low ql cloth armor.. introduce a brand new crazy set of gear you can get by slaying creatures there.

You want death? Introduce strong opponents and means to survive against them.. as you get more confident about your powers.. you're bound to underestimate your opponent or overestimate your powers, whichever the case.. leading to your death..

oh.. yea.. make that pvp lands or portion of it.. where there's something more valuable to gain.. so people have something to fight about.. could be crystals to drain source and power up their gear, or new metals.. 

Ganking local creatures? sure.. do that.. "the more people you stack on them, the less they get to dodge right", how about enraging them with the higher number of you around them.. making their attacks more fierce instead? Than you have to get gud to kill such.. rather than debuff to gank them for the resource they hold.

 

TLDR please I don't have all day to read this drivel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

TLDR please I don't have all day to read this drivel. 

 

I think the tl;dr of Finnn's post is "PvP bad, Freedom good"

Edited by Agatino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The jackal server is and will remain pve, as we want it to be a continuing thing. 

 

Feel free to suggest ideas for epic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

The jackal server is and will remain pve, as we want it to be a continuing thing. 

 

Feel free to suggest ideas for epic 

 

I thought the suggestion was for an alternative to Jackal and Epic, where'd changing it come from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May as well make the new server all islands with nothing but thorn bushes and few trees.

And no horses only Epic mobs and champs .

Only weapons and armour are crude and tree leafs .

 

Name the server ... For Sadist only ....

 

Lets wait and see how Jackal goes first....    at the moment it just feels like any other server but on a different planet/world with mini rifts ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The jackal server is and will remain pve, as we want it to be a continuing thing. 

 

Feel free to suggest ideas for epic 

how about pvp expansion to jackal? ...into another map or..... something like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove priests from epic they're too op!  Lets do this medieval style without magic getting involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2019 at 7:28 PM, Retrograde said:

The jackal server is and will remain pve, as we want it to be a continuing thing. 

 

Feel free to suggest ideas for epic 

 

I'm not quite sure where this is coming from. You are aware that this suggestion was meant for something completely separate from Jackal, hence Jackal not being mentioned beyond "hey, this is a different experience like this other server!" right @Retrograde? I thought that I'd made that point abundantly clear.

 

On 9/17/2019 at 8:46 PM, Delacroix said:

 

I thought the suggestion was for an alternative to Jackal and Epic, where'd changing it come from?

 

In other words, this.

 

22 hours ago, Damascus said:

May as well make the new server all islands with nothing but thorn bushes and few trees.

And no horses only Epic mobs and champs .

Only weapons and armour are crude and tree leafs .

 

Name the server ... For Sadist only ....

 

Lets wait and see how Jackal goes first....    at the moment it just feels like any other server but on a different planet/world with mini rifts ...

 

Another Freedomer who couldn't be bothered to read the entire post, I see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was more referring to those talking about a PvP offshoot, but yeah, it stands for everything. 

 

Before lumping people into being "freedomers" (which doesn't help your cause) why not suggest ideas for the elevation rework rather than a third server? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going with the idea of six month server thing, I like the idea of permadeath, but have that it boots people off that die more than a certain number of times.  Or that certain enemies like Rift monsters will have the ability to permanently kill you, kicking you out of Jackal for the remainder of the match.  Dunno, just to make it more challenging, more risky, but also give it an element of danger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Was more referring to those talking about a PvP offshoot, but yeah, it stands for everything. 

 

Before lumping people into being "freedomers" (which doesn't help your cause) why not suggest ideas for the elevation rework rather than a third server? 

 

Because people who are currently playing Epic won't exactly be thrilled with someone requesting major changes to their server. What I'm asking for is a drastic overhaul to how more or less the entire game works, and that doesn't exactly jive with how players who are established (and who have existing skills that would need to be reset) would feel about something like that. You can already see the pushback on the very first suggestion of this thread by people who have nothing to do with PvP and are absolutely not the intended demographic for this suggestion; adding "we're gon' take your skills, Epic players!" to the equation might help with removing non-PvP players from the mix, but it kicks a very different hornet's nest.

Edited by Agatino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What would be a better system is if you die, you can't login for 24 hours instead of skill loss.

 

This would prevent people from respawning over and over and going over and trolling the other town.

 

Premium is required.

 

What players on Epic?  Last I logged into ELevation there were zero players... zero online.

 

Epic already got their skill transfers, reboot the whole thing into one server (population will be too small you know this already).  

 

Edited by jonsnow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.