Rolf

Switched my Shares

Recommended Posts

I know there's going to be a lot of questions and concerns about a company that's not as sentimentally invested in Wurm, but I just want to say that we aren't going anywhere,  the people on the team aren't the kind of people to just sit idly and do any changes we think are a terrible idea for the game.

 

So far nothing has come from them in any direction or plans, everything we have done and currently plan to do was discussed and put into action long before any of this occurred, including the premise of Jackal, and a cash shop (remember golden mirrors?) 

 

This just means another company sees a future for Wurm and wishes to work on pursuing it with us. Many games run with different parent companies and I know there's all horror stories such as EA's behaviour but that isn't the case here, they're willing to spend time and money to ensure that Wurm gets the best support it can (The move to AWS is being funded by them).

 

We were informed of this around late August/early September, after the Swedish summer holidays, so please remember that before jumping to conclusions about what X or Y change was, Jackal was already out! 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaahh, to me, this explains a lot... BUT, before that, it's funny to see people undecided to say that either "it's good to have a good company in because Rolf finally stops tampering with the game" or "it's bad to have a new company becasue we don't know where the hell the game will ends up". Also, as some of the players, including me, were saying, the game is loosing playerbase and money, thou now we know the value of this game and can indirectly see that the people saying that they were having a hard time paying for hosting (lol) were wrong: there's probably still a LOT of money to milk from here and the jackal operation may be intended as another rake to show the new investors the potential of this game.

Well, Rolf just swapped his position in this company for beign the "investor" in the other one, who apparently works in putting cash shops in the game and managing it, and making promotions for not-online games, sorta steam. We can think that wurm online will soon have a vanity items cash shop (wich is a good thing and i cannot understand why this was made before), and Wurm Unlimited will appear in their "games crate" in the future, but i really doubt the investors will put even a single penny in it.

 

Btw... telling your playerbase that the game shows less profit for you, enough to leave everything in the hands of a new company, is not exactly a smart thing to do, you're just saying them the Titanic is sinking and you, the captain, will be the first to get the better boat to save your ass: thou it's indeed "transparent" as most people said, it's still not smart, i think.

I may think at selling everything right now, maybe..

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silly retro, when the boss sells his shares to another party that party becomes your boss.  You do what he boss says, lets just hope its not angel wings and cash shops...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally don't think there's anything to worry about in this thing besides the 

"omg it's over"
attitude, that is based over guesses, assumptions and basically nothing else.
And might be, above anything else, the main reason that will cause a decreasement in active players.

If people start to believe the the game is closing, they will try to sell out, market will get even worse, the game less appealing, and more people will quit in a endless loop of panic.

You keep getting reassured that "nothing will happen to the game" over and over from years, and still you go on with your apocalypse-speculations that are getting people to quit more than anything else.

You should seriously consider stop doing this, or you will actually be right in the end, lol.

Edited by Davih
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a WU player like myself this I guess means...nothing? It's not like we're getting updates anyway

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, it could go two ways.

 

This company could spearhead a brave initiative and catapult wurm up from dying mmorpg to a successful one.

 

Or they could milk it till it dies, put it's corpse up on display, milk that, and then kill the game.

 

In the first case I get to enjoy wurm for a long time, in the second case I end up with enough data to write a paper on how a sandbox mmorpg dies.  Win-win for me I guess?

  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the worst part is that retro had to tell the founder to be transparent... But I am looking forward to changes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Legios said:

I think the worst part is that retro had to tell the founder to be transparent... But I am looking forward to changes.

Hahaha this isn't about being transparent really, nothing changes on the consumer front, I just felt players may appreciate knowing as well as shareholders who were informed at the start of September. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As if lol

In Retro’s eyes Wurm unlimited is getting plenty of updates, especially for a game that is 4 years old. (His words, not mine)

Edited by nitram20
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, because why shouldn't they keep pushing out new content paid for by wo subscribers to the wu lot, who paid once for the game? wu should get bugfixes and nothing more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the replies. Just oof.

 

*goes back to doing what he does anyway* 😊

 

And I'm still the server overlord at the moment. :D THE HAMSTERS ARE MINE TO COMMAND.

  • Like 7
  • Cat 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I know there's going to be a lot of questions and concerns about a company that's not as sentimentally invested in Wurm, but I just want to say that we aren't going anywhere,  the people on the team aren't the kind of people to just sit idly and do any changes we think are a terrible idea for the game.

 

So far nothing has come from them in any direction or plans, everything we have done and currently plan to do was discussed and put into action long before any of this occurred, including the premise of Jackal, and a cash shop (remember golden mirrors?) 

 

This just means another company sees a future for Wurm and wishes to work on pursuing it with us. Many games run with different parent companies and I know there's all horror stories such as EA's behaviour but that isn't the case here, they're willing to spend time and money to ensure that Wurm gets the best support it can (The move to AWS is being funded by them).

 

We were informed of this around late August/early September, after the Swedish summer holidays, so please remember that before jumping to conclusions about what X or Y change was, Jackal was already out! 

 

I personally don't like the appearance of this new company. They own a platform called gamethrill, which is selling Steam keys, which is as far as I know (correct me if I am wrong) against the steam EULA. You are not allowed to sell steam keys in general, so this platform is doing something against the steam EULA while they own a game on steam right now. It is just a matter of time until Steam will punish this.

 

Maybe I am wrong, but this bothers me. @Retrogrademaybe you can put some light in the dark for us?

 

They even sell Wurm Unlimited for 5.99E instead of 27.99E on Steam. I mean what a business idea is that....

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I know there's going to be a lot of questions and concerns about a company that's not as sentimentally invested in Wurm, but I just want to say that we aren't going anywhere,  the people on the team aren't the kind of people to just sit idly and do any changes we think are a terrible idea for the game.

 

So far nothing has come from them in any direction or plans, everything we have done and currently plan to do was discussed and put into action long before any of this occurred, including the premise of Jackal, and a cash shop (remember golden mirrors?) 

 

This just means another company sees a future for Wurm and wishes to work on pursuing it with us. Many games run with different parent companies and I know there's all horror stories such as EA's behaviour but that isn't the case here, they're willing to spend time and money to ensure that Wurm gets the best support it can (The move to AWS is being funded by them).

 

We were informed of this around late August/early September, after the Swedish summer holidays, so please remember that before jumping to conclusions about what X or Y change was, Jackal was already out! 


No this means that, now they can fire any of the wurm staff and put random people that not even play wurm (like rolf but less involved)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets Hope this new company dos'nt screw all of us over. I love Wurm ,and hope it stays a long..long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great...  I'm gonna just sit here in the corner.  Breathing into this paper bag.  Trying not to have a panic attack.  Tell me when this is over. 

 

*curls into a fetal position in the corner of the room*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sklo:D said:

 

I personally don't like the appearance of this new company. They own a platform called gamethrill, which is selling Steam keys, which is as far as I know (correct me if I am wrong) against the steam EULA. You are not allowed to sell steam keys in general, so this platform is doing something against the steam EULA while they own a game on steam right now. It is just a matter of time until Steam will punish this.

 

Maybe I am wrong, but this bothers me. @Retrogrademaybe you can put some light in the dark for us?

 

They even sell Wurm Unlimited for 5.99E instead of 27.99E on Steam. I mean what a business idea is that....

 

Quick search finds an article that says Valve allows this practice.

 

You have a terrible habit of posting false information and putting Wurm down for your own personal gain (your WU server) and I'd appreciate it if you cease both practices.

 

Thanks.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Keenan said:

 

Quick search finds an article that says Valve allows this practice.

 

You have a terrible habit of posting false information and putting Wurm down for your own personal gain (your WU server) and I'd appreciate it if you cease both practices.

 

Thanks.

But is it a certified third party seller or just another G2A platform for selling "shadily obtained keys"? (stolen credit cards etc etc) Because that is what it looks like to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Legios said:

But is it a certified third party seller or just another G2A platform for selling "shadily obtained keys"? (stolen credit cards etc etc) Because that is what it looks like to me.

 

Keys are usually obtained in bulk by the publisher of the game. The "shadily obtained" bit is either few and far between on some sites or a misconception because the keys sell for so low. The way these sites usually work is they buy quantity for less than retail and start off selling for a percentage of retail price. As time lags on and they have more inventory to move, they drop the price lower and lower.

 

I don't know internals of Game Chest or Gamethrill but I do know the practice of bulk selling keys and the misconceptions consumers have about them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, some clarification because people really love to read between the lines...

 

First line of this: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/keys

 

Common practice for publishers to bulk-sell keys.

 

Nothing that says I know Gamethrill's internal workings as a developer for Wurm. I don't even own shares in that company. :)

 

That is all. Thank you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Keenan said:

 

Keys are usually obtained in bulk by the publisher of the game. The "shadily obtained" bit is either few and far between on some sites or a misconception because the keys sell for so low. The way these sites usually work is they buy quantity for less than retail and start off selling for a percentage of retail price. As time lags on and they have more inventory to move, they drop the price lower and lower.

 

I don't know internals of Game Chest or Gamethrill but I do know the practice of bulk selling keys and the misconceptions consumers have about them.

 

I'd like to note that some popular sites, including G2A, do engage in sketchy acquisition and sale of keys, including purchasing them from individual players, which is against Steam policy. They've developed a bad reputation among indie game developers in particular, with good reason.

 

But this doesn't extend to all similar-looking marketplaces, like Gamethrill.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Keenan said:

 

Quick search finds an article that says Valve allows this practice.

 

You have a terrible habit of posting false information and putting Wurm down for your own personal gain (your WU server) and I'd appreciate it if you cease both practices.

 

Thanks.

 

You have no prove that the keys sold there are legit but tell me that I provide false information. As a WU server would be my personal gain, I am here to enlighten the people and to ask unpleasant questions and acting more like a journalist than anything else. Defending the Wurm community, giving something back, that is my mission.

 

My guess is that the keys come from the humble bundle and reselling humble bundle keys is clearly forbidden, while you are right selling steam keys is not supported by steam but also not clearly forbidden, since they wouldn't have much of a chance to prohibit that anyways. Still a company having a game on Steam should not work against steam in any way, no matter if it is grey area like in this case or clearly forbidden. It is a really bad business decision if you hurt the hand which is feeding you.

 

The only thing that is sure that such sites never purchase keys from developers, which is as@Ostentatiostated forbidden. I mean look at the game amounts they are selling hundreds of games there, do you really want to tell me they bought them all on the legal way and got in touch with every publisher?

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.