Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Switched my Shares

On 9/17/2019 at 4:05 PM, Rolf said:

Game Chest has a hands-off attitude

Apparently they are so hands off that they now decide which graphical updates WU will or won't be getting

pPkPIUm.png

WnrG1O8.png

• Like 5
  • Cat 1

That decision was made before this. My references were referring to the future of Wu and our approach 

Well if we look back at history, doesn't take much to recall that Rolf said all changes to Wurm would go to both WU and WO. While people may decide to try to change history, that was the reality he stated back when WU came out.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Nappy said:

Well if we look back at history, doesn't take much to recall that Rolf said all changes to Wurm would go to both WU and WO. While people may decide to try to change history, that was the reality he stated back when WU came out.

It's been stated time and again that that is not the case, while it is the ideal and most of wo has gone to Wu many features have been held back as wo only content, this is simply another of those features. 

8 hours ago, Cecci said:

The official registry still has him as CEO of Code Club AB.

Will be intresting to see what names will be listed when that gets updated.

And the launcher still credits Notch, even after MS started to distance themselves away from him.

Your point?

1 hour ago, Nomadikhan said:

So, when's this new game streaming/selling/humblebundle wanna be company going public?  I've got a couple grand but don't need a new rifle, I wanna buy stock too.

#MinorityShareholdermeplease

https://markets.businessinsider.com/stocks/game_chest_group_registered-stock

I'd like in before the next jump in value :P

that says was from 2015, shares get expensive when rolf "bought" (maybe the only one doing it) and falling after that, at this rate we can buy part of wurm in some years

• Like 1

11 hours ago, atazs said:

And the launcher still credits Notch, even after MS started to distance themselves away from him.

Your point?

My point has nothing to do with the game launcher,

it has to do with official records in Sweden regarding who owns and who is in charge of a company.

Ofc there are companies that dont update this but any serious company will do it as soon as they can.

Also, I have been reading up on a day trader forum about the parent company.

Very intresting and yep we can now buy parts of the parent company that owns Code Club AB.

GCG is located at the posh Stureplan in Stockholm, but the main owners/founders seem to live in another part of Sweden.

12 hours ago, Retrograde said:

It's been stated time and again that that is not the case, while it is the ideal and most of wo has gone to Wu many features have been held back as wo only content, this is simply another of those features. 

I believe this is called revisionist history. I saw the original video when he made the statement, heard it with my own ears and unfortunately believed it.

Of course companies can change direction, admit mistakes and move forward differently, I get that. It would be just nice to have more honesty, transparency and trust enabling behaviors. It's those kind of behaviors that change people into net promoters (you know - would you recommend this company? Score of 9 or 10 out of 10 is a promoter).

~Nappy

• Like 1

I have two fantastic "foot and mouth stew" recipes in WO.

How many % of the new company shares can I trade them for?

9 hours ago, Cecci said:

Not sure if foreigners can buy shares via the link but swedes sure can.

Yes, USA citizens can buy shares if they have a trading account that enables this option, purchasing foreign shares on their stock markets.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/stocks/game_chest_group_registered-stock

Here is a US charting site that offers information on this stock in English. As you can see it trades like a "penny stock" would be noted due to it's price range which fluctuates within the 40 cent range. Various statistics are then provided about this stock/company such as:

" Game Chest Group AB engages in the development and distribution of computer games from game studios, producers, and developers. It operates through the GameThrill.io and uCrate.io brands. The company was founded in 2017 and is headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden."

From this website information (as well as other stock charting websites) people can draw their own conclusions on speculating on this stock and its future.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 5:38 PM, Retrograde said:

Content maybe, but withholding graphical updates is sending the message that you (plural, as a company... or it's owners) want this version of the product to be intentionally inferior.

And when that is positioned as a "business decision made by the owners" that conflicts a bit with the statement that they are "hands off"

Edited by bdew
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, bdew said:

Content maybe, but withholding graphical updates is sending the message that you (plural, as a company... or it's owners) want this version of the product to be intentionally inferior.

How is that different from content features? Both exclusive content and exclusive client features are additions to the game that are meant to make Wurm Online more appealing compared to WU. It's not a secret that we benefit more from WO being successful than WU right now, as in the end WO is the game that pays our contracts and keeps it all running.

1 hour ago, bdew said:

And when that is positioned as a "business decision made by the owners" that conflicts a bit with the statement that they are "hands off"

This decision really was taken weeks before the new owners situation (as Retrograde mentioned), they are hands off. 

1 hour ago, Samool said:

Both exclusive content and exclusive client features are additions to the game that are meant to make Wurm Online more appealing compared to WU.

That's all well and good on paper. But I'm sorry to say that in reality, unless WO starts incorporating some of the QoL niceties we've grown accustomed to in WU, and that WO keeps rejecting out of hand, WO will never be more appealing.  I don't mean this as a criticism.  I'm just voicing an ongoing concern I have that if you try to make WU too much less appealing while not making WO *truly* more appealing, eventually we'll end up having to make a choice between two versions that are both inferior, each in their own way.  One has inferior graphics and one has inferior QoL.  Personally though, I'll take the QoL over graphics any day of the week. :)

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Samool said:

How is that different from content features? Both exclusive content and exclusive client features are additions to the game that are meant to make Wurm Online more appealing compared to WU. It's not a secret that we benefit more from WO being successful than WU right now, as in the end WO is the game that pays our contracts and keeps it all running.

So now we're crystal clear, you got our money already and need us no longer so no reason to keep your promises. 

Quoting what rolf posted:

On 9/25/2015 at 1:11 PM, Rolf said:

When it comes to the client, the code is also very much shared and improvements of for instance settings or rendering will be available for both within a fairly short time frame.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, bdew said:

On 9/25/2015 at 6:11 AM, Rolf said:

When it comes to the client, the code is also very much shared and improvements of for instance settings or rendering will be available for both within a fairly short time frame.

Thank-you Bdew, I appreciate the confirmation of what I and many others have said for a long time.

19 hours ago, Amadee said:

That's all well and good on paper. But I'm sorry to say that in reality, unless WO starts incorporating some of the QoL niceties we've grown accustomed to in WU, and that WO keeps rejecting out of hand, WO will never be more appealing.  I don't mean this as a criticism.  I'm just voicing an ongoing concern I have that if you try to make WU too much less appealing while not making WO *truly* more appealing, eventually we'll end up having to make a choice between two versions that are both inferior, each in their own way.  One has inferior graphics and one has inferior QoL.  Personally though, I'll take the QoL over graphics any day of the week. :)

This a billion times this

Simple things like a compass that always shows or improved improve or always a 10 slot toolbelt simple client mods that WU gives that would be amazing to have for WO which just wont be added as "OH NO WOULD YOU THINK OF THE MARKET/BALANCE" there are so many small QoL changes that WU has via its mods that if implemented properly into normal wurm it could make it so much better

Imagine friya's cinematic mod but enhanced with a short intro upon first starting up of a brand new account a bit of backstory a short run down as it flies over a premade piece of land where scripted npcs do their daily thing before it cuts to and teleports the character to the starting point that would be a nice wow factor for the game as well

• Like 2

to be honest, i think it's shocking to me the missing of a LOT of small improvements, both about small elements, bugs, lore and other stuff that in years none bothered to fix in wurm. Now we have mostly all the icons for inventory items, but heh, we still have the broken quantity in bsb items wish shows an item you cannot remove from the bsb until you empty all of it, parapets needs more mats that a normal wall and still cannot shoot through them despite beign made exactly for that, fence porticullis needs a lot of hard materials while house ones needs just mortar and bricks, and a crapload of such weird or stupid things wich makes really no sense at all.
Wurm feels exactly like if the devs were not premium in coding and had their skill at 20.00 max, so they need multiple times to imp wurm to 20ql: they may get the item to maybe 30ql, but it won't ever reach even 50ql, while they tried so hard: i won't be too harsh in this critic, they also work for free mostly, so it's exactly what they could do with a "not premium account".

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 7:23 PM, Samool said:

This decision really was taken weeks before the new owners situation (as Retrograde mentioned), they are hands off. 

You could've added tons of new things to WO like new structures, furnitures and so on and monetize it in WU as DLCs. I'm finding it kinda cheeky but at least I won't cry when it will all go bankrupt.

On 9/24/2019 at 4:54 PM, wipeout said:

Imagine friya's cinematic mod but enhanced with a short intro upon first starting up of a brand new account a bit of backstory a short run down as it flies over a premade piece of land where scripted npcs do their daily thing before it cuts to and teleports the character to the starting point that would be a nice wow factor for the game as well

Oh my god... that would be amazing!

On 9/24/2019 at 3:54 PM, wipeout said:

Wow, that's such an appealing idea! I would like to see that!

I hope some good comes of this change of hands and WO has a brighter future.

But if I'm to be honest I'm more than a bit hacked that things like distant trees won't be coming to WU. More than a few broken promises in the mix here.

I get that WO is the cash cow and is what is paying the bills, but it's still possible to do that, just delay the updates to WU by a few months, even if it's 6 months. But to not update WU at all with the major changes.

Well, that just sucks.

WU was a mistake. Great short-term move but harmful for WO long term. A lot of us have said it since back then. WU servers combined have about 200 people online a considerable amount that if not for WU would be playing (and paying) in WO. It was obvious that if the server files were released, there would be talented individuals who would outperform the core WO devs in certain aspects of creativity regarding the game. People like Skloo and others who develop for their own personal servers, harm WO because they set the bar higher than it was previously required to be by taking the WO feature updates for free and applyig their own improvements alltogether. 

In startup world there's a critical mass of customers a company needs to reach in order to snowball and compound on it's customer base. But in gaming there's what I call also the reverse critical mass, which is that there's a critical mass of players bellow which, certain game features can't work. Trading, pvp, economy are ones that come to mind. WU player absorbsion tends to push WO towards that direction. Regardless of who's CEO and what current and ex-CEO's have said, I believe the WO teams is starting to realise this and wont continue supporting WU freeloaders with new features, which is what it should have done from beggining. Hell if you look at the majority of games, feature bundles are released as paid expansions, not given free of charge to competotors. Hosting a game server, supported feature-wise by a company for free so as you can make money through donations is ridiculous. 

Enough with "people's servers".

Enough with "paid once, supported forever".

Edited by Lordbeerus
  • Like 2