Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Switched my Shares

When people have no clue about how business or actual journalism works they should not be posting guesses which turns into FUD.

-edited for ranting-

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 2

The last thing I want to do is be negative about a game I love... but we don't know anything, and from the simple search of the company that bought codeclub out... you can tell that money is #1. But they don't own anything else that's even remotely like wurm to even say... well lets go play w/e else they own and see how they have monetized that etc etc. I know a lot of people have a lot of coin and time invested into wurm... and their whole hedge fund just got wacked out of proportion so I don't blame those that actually play wurm to be a little scared.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 2:12 AM, Madrocks said:

How does actual journalism work?

`To maintain objectivity in journalism, journalists should present the facts whether or not they like or agree with those facts. Objective reporting is meant to portray issues and events in a neutral and unbiased manner, regardless of the writers opinion or personal beliefs.` (a quote)

and imho..
`But they don't own anything else that's even remotely like wurm` - Objective

`acting more like a journalist than anything else. Defending the Wurm community` - Subjective, even if we're represented properly, we are being, represented, as subjects.. this is not journalism, it's politics and the questions posed by said `journalist` are engineered by our collective, subjective, fears. Journalists don't defend they report.

`What interest do you have in the gaming industry or the communities that support it?` is an objective question
` Are u removing all the cheap ass keys from the market to sell at a higher price thereby benefiting the game?` is a supposition but still objective because it's strategy that relates to an.. objective.

`Do you intend to milk us for all we're worth till we die a sad death?` is a subjective question

` My guess is that the keys come from the humble bundle and reselling humble bundle keys is clearly forbidden`  i don't want to patronize anyone by explaining that one.
even when the answers are subjective, the questions need to be objective.

Journalism is a discipline, you can't be objective then eloquently apply subjective suggestions into it.
unless you work for FOX or CNN, obviously.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 4

Well, I am not quite sure what to make of this. Having worked in IT for as long as I have I have seen a lot of vulture capitalists... errr, venture capitalists... scoop up companies and really screw them up. I have also seen them grab struggling companies promising them the sun, moon, and stars, and then not even delivering a worm (see what I did there??). RARELY, if ever, have I seen them be a positive. Yet I know Wurm is in a major decline. The simple truth is, Rolf appears burned out. It happens. I 100% understand him taking what he can, and leaving the headache on someone else's doorstep.

In trying to be objective, I looked up the financials. ONE employee. ONE. It *appears*  to be not much more than a shell company. The second quarter financials aren't even listed. However, a quick glance at the stock chart isn't too bad. I didn't go into extensive charting (is it overbought/oversold? What about the moving average convergence/divergence?) I am really curious as to the huge spike and drop in July... that is a bit of a red flag from what is essentially a penny stock..

I'll hold my breath and hope that there is a lot more than what I can find from a quick Google. And if it is the demise of Wurm, well... we've been preparing for that for quite awhile anyway. I'll still play and enjoy my time, no matter how long that is (but only pay for 2 months sub at a time.. )

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Flubb said:

Are we the toppings then?

Can I be onions?

If you're onions, I wanna be bell peppers.

22 hours ago, Wonka said:

Yes, because why shouldn't they keep pushing out new content paid for by wo subscribers to the wu lot, who paid once for the game? wu should get bugfixes and nothing more.

I would *love* a strictly bugfix update for WU.  There are plenty, some of them (like rendering issues causing invisible creatures, etc.) are game breaking.  Nothing related to Jackal is needed in WU.

I would be willing to bet that the income from selling WU was greater than silver sales over the last four years.  I could be wrong, but WU is not a freeloader by any means.

In before Wurm Online launches on all distribution platforms.  Steam here we come.

So I woke up a few hours ago, dragging myself to my computer, eyes squinting.

I open Discord and have people sending me private messages: "Is it true Kats?" after which I see is Drongo's Overlord VOD.

At this point I had to go make some stiff coffee to make sure I'm not in some surreal dream.  

Come back to the computer and see THIS thread that explains what the hell is going on. "Holy hell" I think to myself.

Read through all the comments to see how people are feeling.

So here are my thoughts on this: 

A company willing to pay around $350K for Wurm:

• Sees value and potentialdespite the game being so old, outdated and with such a teensy weensy player base
  • Doesn't want to flush their money down the toilet, so they absolutely have the motivation to make their investment work for them and will put things into place that will make Wurm thrive and flourish
  • If whatever changes they put into place (for instance a cash shop) starts to generate revenue, this means more funds for expanding the team, improving the game, marketing etc

I see these as very good things for Wurm - it makes me think that this game might actually have a chance now!

Personally, I have absolutely no problem with a cash shop (as long as it's just cosmetic stuff) and like someone else here said, it's something they should have done years ago. I don't know if they have something like that planned, but I hope they do. Although the "Wurmian" in me would like to stubbornly stick to the core values of "everything in the game is player made", the realist in me knows that those values are of little use if the game dies. Besides, the trader NPCs have already been selling items that players couldn't create themselves for years and no-one complained.  Let's not forget that Ultima Online (released in 1997) is still up and running thanks to a cash shop.

So yeah, I'm feeling good about this actually!

• Like 15
  • Cat 2

3 hours ago, Malena said:

• Sees value and potentialdespite the game being so old, outdated and with such a teensy weensy player base
  • Doesn't want to flush their money down the toilet, so they absolutely have the motivation to make their investment work for them and will put things into place that will make Wurm thrive and flourish
  • If whatever changes they put into place (for instance a cash shop) starts to generate revenue, this means more funds for expanding the team, improving the game, marketing etc

Thank you for posting this. When I first read about the sale, I thought it was a good change. Then I started reading some other things and started bouncing back and forth between doubt and optimism. With this post, I am feeling much more confident that this will be a good thing in the long run :)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Nicrolis said:

Thank you for posting this. When I first read about the sale, I thought it was a good change. Then I started reading some other things and started bouncing back and forth between doubt and optimism. With this post, I am feeling much more confident that this will be a good thing in the long run :)

If this company tries to actively get involved. It could go either way. They could make it better or worse if they understand the niche want to keep the spirit of the game or try to radically mess with it to milk it for cash which would alienate the core group of players.

(note a recent buyout of another Nordic mmo where the shift triggered aggressive changes in the game and pissed off a huge portion of the veteran playerbase)

For now I'll just keep playing and see which way things go (hopefully for the better). 

• Like 2

*raises eyebrow*  hm.. ok. Good luck new people hope you bring some cool things on board *goes back to mining*

• Like 1
  • Cat 2

18 hours ago, Retrograde said:

"Frontier will also be a precursor for big changes that will come to Epic in the future, and feedback from how everything goes later in the year will inform us on how we implement the current plans that we have. These changes to Epic won’t be anytime in the next few months, but when they do come they will involve a large overhaul to the cluster in an attempt to bring it closer to the original design for Epic years ago. We will be addressing the larger complaints of the Epic community in that update - but some smaller changes will be heading to live in the coming months as well."

My apologies as this is off-topic (although it sure beats the demented turn this thread has taken), but what specifically was "the original design for Epic"? Any information at all would be greatly appreciated. We are building and making long-term plans here, so any information about what is to come for Epic, even if it is just a vague outline, would be very useful indeed. Obviously we do not want our efforts to be for nothing, but it would be better to know that now than later 😕

What we are most worried about is deeds being deleted on home servers, and not being able to go raid enemy home-servers like we used to. Not too fussed about Elevation itself to be honest.

Like Malena said, the company that bought the shares is just trying to make more money. Their motivation is to make the game better and thereby increase the subscribers/revenue. 

Maybe it will be better, maybe not, we don't know. We do know is that the way it was before wasn't working, so there isn't a whole lot more to lose.

There's really nothing more to be said about this, because we know so little about this company and how it operates, except Rolf's word about them having a hands off attitude. Everything else is just pointless speculation.

• Like 4

I was searching in reddit for "MMO's with depth" to find something to play since I havent played a game for over a year. After not finding anything decent out there, I thought to myself, hey why not go back to wurm. Pay some euros, get some new toon. go to Chaos and build my old fortress. Fast forward ten minutes, I'm reading this topic. 

Imo this is much better than a slow death that wurm (I assume) is going through the last couple of years. Regardless of the effort put, it was clear that the game was not up to date with the mentallity of the modern gamer nor it could steer itself towards a viable direction. That's life. There's no way to know what's good or bad for a game. We tend to think that sucessful games are made by great people and sometimes we forget that most of the time it's all about luck and coincidentally picking what will attract the masses. 

Now if the public information is right, the way I translate it at least is that Rolf sees no future in the game, but someone else does. That's why he bothered settling for an evaluation that most indie games would never be able to achieve. Clearly the new daddy sees something in the game and will try to make profit out of it. There are many cases of games that after leadership change, managed to change route and find a path towards stability and maintenability. Hope is always better than the certainty of failure I suppose.

It's also good that they keep Rolf around too. Steering a car towards a great destination always requires someone that knows it inside out, to teach you how to drive first ;)

Edited by Lordbeerus
  • Cat 1

4 hours ago, Malena said:

Thank you so much for posting this.  Seriously, this really helps with easing some of my anxiety.  A cash shop wouldn't be bad as long as it's purely for cosmetics and people know what they're paying for.  Nothing that gives people an advantage over others, or something that incentivizes spending lots of money to stay ahead.  That just makes the game less fun overall and damages the overall community of the game.  We do need more people coming in, we need new blood, but that is the hard part.  What will draw new people into our game, and bring all of that sweet green with them.  It's one thing to bring people in, but we need to have it so that they acclimate nicely into it so that they're not crushed by the difficulty and just end up leaving over it.  Getting money is one thing, but we still need numbers.  Either getting old players back, or finding a new way to draw people in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zahnweh said:

Thank you so much for posting this.  Seriously, this really helps with easing some of my anxiety.  A cash shop wouldn't be bad as long as it's purely for cosmetics and people know what they're paying for.  Nothing that gives people an advantage over others, or something that incentivizes spending lots of money to stay ahead.  That just makes the game less fun overall and damages the overall community of the game.  We do need more people coming in, we need new blood, but that is the hard part.  What will draw new people into our game, and bring all of that sweet green with them.  It's one thing to bring people in, but we need to have it so that they acclimate nicely into it so that they're not crushed by the difficulty and just end up leaving over it.  Getting money is one thing, but we still need numbers.  Either getting old players back, or finding a new way to draw people in.

"As long as it's purely cosmetics" hahahahaha.. since when have companies ever kept that promise.

You could have always bought a character, gear, or anything player made or skilled, etc.... does it change anything if you get the same option from the shop? If anything you'll get the option to support the game.

And nobody have said that the shop is going to be changed or offer alternatives to anything sold by players.. pointless to speculate and go nuts about it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lordbeerus said:

Now if the public information is right, the way I translate it at least is that Rolf sees no future in the game, but someone else does.

I do not believe that this is what he meant. "Dwindling subscriber base" means less income. A company that relies on 1 source of income, that is shrinking, cannot do everything they want/need to do to survive & thrive. Selling his shares to a larger parent company means that there is a new funding source that does not only rely on the one game. That means they can spend money from other sources to improve, expand and advertise a game that has a smaller base.

Edit: I am hoping that this is a good thing for Wurm. It will, however, bring change, so be ready for it.

Edited by zethreal
  • Cat 1

When can we get dance emotes. I want be able twerk on a horse as I charge into battle.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 12:32 PM, Oblivionnreaver said:

where does the 5 silver that i dropped into a wishing well go to now

To the bottom of the well.

Thorin :)

Best case:   They bring some new energy into the game

Worst case:   DLC Hell

Edited by griper

12 hours ago, Haseroths said:

"As long as it's purely cosmetics" hahahahaha.. since when have companies ever kept that promise.

Sadly, I've seen that happen time and time again.  That's the part that scares me too.  When a gaming company gets the leash to start making a cash shop and selling things to their player base, they'll just start with cosmetics, and then they'll slowly edge in towards things like exp. boosters and money boosters and things like that.  Eventually, you'll have special items you can't get outside of the cash shop, items that require keys that you must buy from the cash shop that contain weapons or healing items that are better than what you can make normally, and the like.   It's a slippery slope.  It's happened with Guild Wars 2, RuneScape, and Fallout 76 (I know the last one isn't technically an MMO, but it had the good old we'll only have the cash shop selling cosmetics, and then they started going back on that a few months afterwards). 

I can understand your worry, and I feel the same way.  :<  I'm afraid too. 

• Like 1

Legit question, not intended to be inflammatory.  Just looking for more info.

Here's what I glean from this situation:

- Rolf has traded his shares to someone else, who will now be majority shareholder ("MS")

- Rolf and the other Admins we're used to are not going anywhere, so the new "owner" (MS) will be added in, not replacing anyone

- This trade of shares represents an investment by the new MS

I'm not aware of any other hard facts that we've learned yet, unless I missed something in the posts.  

I'm not looking for any more probabilities, possibilities, opinions, or fears.  

Just wondering if I've missed any of the facts that were stated by our ADMINS.

Because what I'm reading from the facts is that there is very little changing, and no indication of actual facts supporting a doomsday conclusion.

Unless I'm missing some facts posted by Admins.  Obviously, not interested in any alternate news "facts" from people with an agenda.

Edited by Batta
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1