Sign in to follow this  
Arindor

"The jnlp launcher will be removed soon"

Playing the game today and this came up:

[23:06:26] WSA: The jnlp launcher will be removed soon, please download the native launcher for your computer here https://www.wurmonline.com/wurm-online-downloads/ If you encounter any bugs please report them on the forums so they can be fixed before the jnlp goes!

I do not understand why you would want to remove a platform-independent launcher and replace it with a native, platform-specific launcher.  This is the exact type of problem Java solves.  I cannot run the "Linux" launcher on my Linux because the developer has made assumptions about my Linux:

./WurmLauncher
./WurmLauncher: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.9.4/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./WurmLauncher)
./WurmLauncher: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.9.4/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by ./WurmLauncher)

If you plan to distribute a binary as a launcher, then it needs to be statically compiled (and thus huge) to remove such assumptions.  The above binary is NOT statically compiled, and includes linkage (and version assumptions) for over 60 system libraries.

Why? Why? Why remove JNLP...  If you do this, I will be locked out of the game because I do not run the same Linux as the developer.

• Like 3

Also mentioned in another thread that all of the new Laptops and Desktops come with Windows 10 S mode.   This does not allow any program to be installed unless it is downloadable from the Microsoft Store.  Please either put the JNLP back or certify your install and make it downloadable from the Microsoft store so I can continue to play.  Otherwise I will have to request my pre-paid subscription back as I will no longer be able to play the game I paid for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kraegar said:

Also mentioned in another thread that all of the new Laptops and Desktops come with Windows 10 S mode.   This does not allow any program to be installed unless it is downloadable from the Microsoft Store.  Please either put the JNLP back or certify your install and make it downloadable from the Microsoft store so I can continue to play.  Otherwise I will have to request my pre-paid subscription back as I will no longer be able to play the game I paid for.

All of the new laptops and desktops? I have only heard of Microsoft Surface products enabling this S mode, which is the dumbest thing ever, but it can be disabled.

4 hours ago, Arindor said:

I do not understand why you would want to remove a platform-independent launcher and replace it with a native, platform-specific launcher.  This is the exact type of problem Java solves.  I cannot run the "Linux" launcher on my Linux because the developer has made assumptions about my Linux:

./WurmLauncher
./WurmLauncher: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.9.4/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./WurmLauncher)
./WurmLauncher: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.9.4/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by ./WurmLauncher)

If you plan to distribute a binary as a launcher, then it needs to be statically compiled (and thus huge) to remove such assumptions.  The above binary is NOT statically compiled, and includes linkage (and version assumptions) for over 60 system libraries.

Why? Why? Why remove JNLP...  If you do this, I will be locked out of the game because I do not run the same Linux as the developer.

This is a result of Oracle depreciating the java web start launcher and removing it in future java updates.  This means we needed to work on swapping to native launchers as the jnlp would not work. 

I can speak with our client dev to see if the linux version can support your system and work on improving it for future users.

4 hours ago, Kraegar said:

I haven't seen this said anywhere beyond microsoft surface profucts as wulfgar said. You can remove windows 10 S mode as well, I don't believe it's "all new laptops and desktops" though. 

As for hosting through microsoft store, that's not possible unfortunately, they require payment API's to go through them too and take a cut of all of it 

5 hours ago, Arindor said:

./WurmLauncher

Remove JNLP has been overdue for many years. Every game comes with it's own installer nowadays, it is just something you can't do anymore in 2019.

So deal with it, every modern PC can handle the new launcher format. There is no reason to keep the JNLP.

5 hours ago, Kraegar said:

Ad Windows S mode: The windows S mode is a hopeless attempt to get the monopoly back to the microsoft store and make sure all the software is purchased via microsoft. If you buy a notebook or PC with a preinstalled Windows, the first step you should do is to completly wipe this PC. Install a fresh Windows 10, best to use the Pro N version of Windows 10, because that one has more features and less unneeded apps (ads). Usually the ads coming preinstalled with a new notebook have big security vulnerabilities, this is why you never should use the preinstalled Windows version you get when buying the PC or notebook. If you don't always wipe your PC after buying it not even god himself can help you.

The most prominent and ground breaking security vulnerability is Lenovo Superfish, a completly unneeded program which has caused one of the biggest security issues in the last 10 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfish#Lenovo_security_incident 

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 2

Can you even install a JRE in Windows S mode? Assuming you can - you could just replicate the JNLP functionality with a shell script that downloads the right jars and passes the right parameters to run them (that's all JNLP does).

We have plenty reasons to remove JNLPs, it being deprecated and meant to be removed from JREs soon, jnlp not working at all with the new client on Macs, limited support for per-platform solutions being just a few. 

Which Linux distro is that? I can look into it and see how possible linking that stuff statically is, but you should be able to just install the dependencies yourself if that doesn't work out.

Windows S mode is a lost cause I'm afraid, there's just no way for us to support that - it doesn't let you install anything from anywhere else than the Windows Store and that isn't possible for us due to reasons Retrograde mentioned.

40 minutes ago, bdew said:

Can you even install a JRE in Windows S mode? Assuming you can - you could just replicate the JNLP functionality with a shell script that downloads the right jars and passes the right parameters to run them (that's all JNLP does).

You can't download WO's jars and use them yourself, we only support launching the game from either the jnlp (for now) or the new launcher. I figured though that if the new launcher can't be installed there, JRE couldn't either.

Usually these are backwards compatible.. meaning, you're probably running some ancient linux build than?

On 9/16/2019 at 4:38 AM, Sklo:D said:

Remove JNLP has been overdue for many years. Every game comes with it's own installer nowadays, it is just something you can't do anymore in 2019.

So deal with it, every modern PC can handle the new launcher format. There is no reason to keep the JNLP.

Ad Windows S mode: The windows S mode is a hopeless attempt to get the monopoly back to the microsoft store and make sure all the software is purchased via microsoft. If you buy a notebook or PC with a preinstalled Windows, the first step you should do is to completly wipe this PC. Install a fresh Windows 10, best to use the Pro N version of Windows 10, because that one has more features and less unneeded apps (ads). Usually the ads coming preinstalled with a new notebook have big security vulnerabilities, this is why you never should use the preinstalled Windows version you get when buying the PC or notebook. If you don't always wipe your PC after buying it not even god himself can help you.

The most prominent and ground breaking security vulnerability is Lenovo Superfish, a completly unneeded program which has caused one of the biggest security issues in the last 10 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfish#Lenovo_security_incident 

I will try to be a little more specific.  I purchased the laptop knowing it was in Windows 10 S mode because my significant other cant or wont stop clicking on things that caused me to fix the machine over and over.  Secondly this really is the wave of the future so developers need to start dealing with it.  Thirdly I should not have to wipe any new machine.  Even though I can and re-install only the components I want installed why should I have to go through all of those hoops to play a game?  I have a pristine laptop that does not allow me to play a game I have pre-paid because of this change.  So if I cannot play it due to changes in the way the game is launched am I going to get my money back?

6 hours ago, Kraegar said:

I will try to be a little more specific.  I purchased the laptop knowing it was in Windows 10 S mode because my significant other cant or wont stop clicking on things that caused me to fix the machine over and over.  Secondly this really is the wave of the future so developers need to start dealing with it.  Thirdly I should not have to wipe any new machine.  Even though I can and re-install only the components I want installed why should I have to go through all of those hoops to play a game?  I have a pristine laptop that does not allow me to play a game I have pre-paid because of this change.  So if I cannot play it due to changes in the way the game is launched am I going to get my money back?

It's not going through hoops, it's pressing a single button "Switch out of S mode". There's plenty of ways to protect your Windows install other than S mode, a decent antivirus plus a good browser setup should be more than enough even for a person without a clue on computer security, and it would let you actually install the game. 

I am now seeing a similar message on the current launcher.  However, I just re-downloaded the Linux client (tar.gz) and still having the same issue.  Myself and my wife (active users) and son and daughter (occasional users) affected.

Anything wrong with just using a shell-script (.sh) to launch the game like many other online games do?  That's how I start my own java (and java LWJGL) applications.  For example:

#!/bin/sh

CLIENT_JAR=/path/to/jar/file.jar
exec java -jar "$CLIENT_JAR" $*

Obviously it needs to be a little more complex to figure out where to install and run from, but that's about it.  A shell script removes the binary incompatibility issues and avoids having to statically link.

I cannot find the reference on the forum (although I remember it was mentioned by Samool at some point): how do I start the launcher for the test server or low mem client using the Linux tar?

3 hours ago, Arindor said:

Anything wrong with just using a shell-script (.sh) to launch the game like many other online games do?  That's how I start my own java (and java LWJGL) applications.

Yes, other than being an autoupdater, the launcher has some custom functionality that couples native code to the client code, which just allows us to do a bit more.

I think though that with the issue you've posted, all that it needs is to be build for lower gcc versions, though it wouldn't hurt if you updated yours.

1 hour ago, Jaz said:

I cannot find the reference on the forum (although I remember it was mentioned by Samool at some point): how do I start the launcher for the test server or low mem client using the Linux tar?

-lowmem and -test arguments will run the respective default clients, -c will open a client selection window.

Use like this:

./WurmLauncher -lowmem
./WurmLauncher -test

• Like 2