Sign in to follow this  
phennexion

Thank you for Jackal!

It's great, really. Breathed life into an old game I stopped playing a couple years ago. Great to play with people who i used to play with 10 years ago, 5 years ago, all from random villages into this one now.

One suggestion though, do like Path of Exile and great a new map/goal every 6 months, don't repeat jackal for atleast a year or two. Problem with challenge servers was that it basically repeated itself and didnt give anything "new". Path of Exile is ridiculously successful creating new servers every few months with a new content patch, please create a new objective map at the end of Jackal, and wurm will be alot more successful and engaging! Freedom will become the new "standard" league.

Edited by phennexion
  • Like 4
  • Cat 2

without the copy stuff.. I agree that the model have potential

honestly, i quit like 5 days in lol. It just felt like regular freedom grind but with just a bit extra. Hoping the epic rework will hook me in

This is kinda how I feel too, although I agree with Haseroths too, after a while  it just feels like standard freedom grind. 

I like path of exile... a lot

HoCL0VT.png

And I'd love to see more of these features implemented, right now it just feels like regrinding your freedom skills is the only modifier in Jackal. But it was enough to suck me back into wurm as a whole honestly... but it might of just been the awesome folks I missed playing the game with too! 

Jackal is 'Epic' reskinned with a few new mobs, no PvP, and a few super generic skins to spend points on; it really isn't anything different than what we had prior to its release.

• Like 2

Hey, don't knock it. It's not my kind of thing, but it seems popular and if players like it and are having fun then good luck to them I say.

If it's good for Wurm then it's good for all of us?

• Like 6

The problem isn't necessarily what is, but what could have been. Instead of this, we could've gotten something that was actually interesting and that could have turned the game on its head. The disappointment is that this will probably be the best we get, when there's so much more potential.

3 minutes ago, Agatino said:

The problem isn't necessarily what is, but what could have been. Instead of this, we could've gotten something that was actually interesting and that could have turned the game on its head. The disappointment is that this will probably be the best we get, when there's so much more potential.

Not at all! Please remember this is week 3 of 24, and we have this planned as a repeating cycle server that offers various differences each round *cough PoE leagues cough* So feedback on this round for improvements this round, and also ideas for future things are also welcome. 

Ideas for textures and skins as well, especially since our plan is to release one a week for the forseeable future (in the sheet as "until saroman gets bored") so please feel free to suggest what you would like to see too! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Not at all! Please remember this is week 3 of 24, and we have this planned as a repeating cycle server that offers various differences each round *cough PoE leagues cough* So feedback on this round for improvements this round, and also ideas for future things are also welcome. 

Ideas for textures and skins as well, especially since our plan is to release one a week for the forseeable future (in the sheet as "until saroman gets bored") so please feel free to suggest what you would like to see too! 

This makes me beyond excited for Wurm. No one can argue with PoE's success and it constantly keeps players engaged atleast every 4 months. The best part is the people who don't like the new server challenges every 6 months can stay on their deeds!

This is just an idea, but I used to play "A Tale in the Desert" yearrssss ago, and it was epic for player cooperating in achieving global objectives. People would all have to contribute resources between factions to unlock new research technologies, the faction deciding on what technology is more important,  and create big monuments which gave bonuses. Maybe a server like that would be cool, maybe a heavy crafting objective because as a village crafter on jackal i know im not earning jackal points unless i go smash beacons, which im okay with for now but in the future that'd be cool for some crafter love.

Also, little cosmetic pets are always awesome.

• Like 1

Any thoughts on closing down some of the existing PvE servers, if you want to keep them more desolate than normal with a reoccuring event server?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wulfgar said:

Any thoughts on closing down some of the existing PvE servers, if you want to keep them more desolate than normal with a reoccuring event server?

While jackal is temporary joy of heavens.. most have invested a lot of time(read: years) in deeds on smaller servers where they share history, friends, and all they basically know in the game.

Even if devs offered a deed export and move to a new server with all your creatures and contents of containers etc ondeed... you'll be moved to a new place, expecting not all to be that welcoming the idea.

After or during the 6 months.. you can go to your freedom deed if you have such, closing small servers to move players to temporary world makes no sense, you'll be left home-less at some point...

Hey, It's honestly nice to see that there are people who are enjoying this! Even if It's not to my taste.

• Like 2

It would be nice to see an aspect of Jackal more targetted at the crafters, beyond 'supply the fighters'.  Not sure what that could be, but there do seem to be some avid builders when I wander around the red landscape, and it would be good for them to be able to contribute more directly.

• Like 2

I have a simple solution for this 6 month session before a better crafting style goal gets implemented in a future server...

Let players have a command to /appreciate PlayerName .... that player., they want to grant jackal points to when they complete a jackal beacon as a thank you.... upon jackal beacon finish,  crafter would get a few points, nothing huge but with enough combatants it could add up. If people want to sub 30 alts and all attack a beacon and get 60 pts from a jackal beacon, well thats good for wurm becuase it'll have made a ton of Sub money lol

A simple fix to crafters not being useful - Don't destroy the altars, instead convert them.  To convert them, you need crafters to craft specific things, which might require a lot of resources.  

This would mean crafters and fighters would both be needed to take down rift beacons.  

The other solution is to use the current system of building beacons, and give points for imping, and building beacons.

For scaling difficulty, make the beacons require more resources the further they are away from another beacon.  Essentially once the beacon is placed, you then have to feed it something to get it to activate, and this resource would be based on distance from nearest beacon.

A couple things I'd like to see for next version:

Skill dumps of everyone.  I want to see how i'm doing/compare to others and leaderboards!  How many jackal points they have, skill leaderboards, etc.

Faster skill gains on some of the totally boring skills - rope making, cloth, boat making...  These three skills are crucial for allowing everyone to enjoy the new maps more easily.  Right now only the elite few have access to boats and it kind of creates a barrier for people to be able to get involved.  Plus no one wants to grind out boats on a temp server...

My first week was literally just waiting for the cotton/wemp to grow as the travel times were long, and tedious on foot.

Edited by jonsnow

1 hour ago, jonsnow said:

I want to see how i'm doing/compare to others and leaderboards!

Yeah. A lot of WU servers have Leaderboards that you can view my clicking on your little human figure in the bottom left of the Character window. For a server such as Jackal this would be some fun information to be able to view in this way. Just keep it off the regular WO servers where players don't want everyone else to know their business and all is well.

=Ayes=