Sign in to follow this  
lowborn

link to skill gain thread

Can you please link me to a thread that shows the finer points of skill gains. I read some complicated things. Its related to item quality, time spent, chance at success. I would like to read what an expert has posted on this subject. I have looked for the thread but no luck. Any help would be appreciated,  Thank you.

Edited by lowborn
added content

I think I figured out a few pointers. 

Turn on skill gain readout to frequent or always. This helps judge changes.

Lower ql iron in crafting helps raise skill as it takes longer to finish the crafting.

Crafting harder items takes longer thus gives more skill as it does take longer.

Changes are slight so as to make little difference.

When chopping wood or mining a lower quality tool takes longer to finish so more skill but less collected.

In short does not matter much what you do. 

It depends on if you are completing an action to gain resources or craft an item or if you are out for skill gain.

I could be wrong on some of these things. 

Here's an old thread with skill gain tips. Some of it may be out of date especially the cooking but still some useful information.

Yeah a lot of that is outdated, and most of it was sourced from "common knowledge" floating around at the time, which may or may not have been accurate even then. 

Essentially, to get skillgain(on Freedom servers after 20 skill), you need the skillcheck roll to fall between 0 and 40. This roll is influenced by your skill, the difficulty of the action (for mining it's the ore type, for imping it's the ql of the item being imped, etc), in most cases the quality of the tool you're using, and often by a parent/related skill roll.

In most cases, none of the above affects the size of the skillgain you receive, just the frequency. The only exception I can think of is when imping: imping at/above the soft cap for your skill level (roughly skill*.77+23) doubles the size of ticks you receive. Tick size is determined by length of the action (capped at 30 for benefit here I think), and relevant enchants. Keep in mind that faster timers do not reduce your skillgain over time, just the skillgain for each individual action. 

Also note: creation actions give 1/3 the skillgain, so if a skill allows non-creation actions, those are likely the ones to use. 

Edited by darthryan

10 hours ago, darthryan said:

ou need the skillcheck roll to fall between 0 and 40. This roll is influenced by your skill, the difficulty of the action (for mining it's the ore type, for imping it's the ql of the item being imped, etc), in most cases the quality of the tool you're using, and often by a parent/related skill roll.

This is still pretty cryptic to me, as I don't know any way of seeing those skillcheck rolls. Is there a general rule or formula to optimise these odds by? Your skillcheck roll is between 0 and 100 afaik, but it's not like just going for the most difficult action will will be more likely to result in a skill gain because the roll was low - there's also the "50% rule", at least in creation, that implies the best odds to grind with is 50:50, so it can't just be "make it more difficult"? Or is the "50% rule" only viable because successful skill rolls on failed actions give substantially less skill gain, so it's just a compromise between "as much difficulty as possible without constantly failing and getting just a fraction of skill"?

1 minute ago, Flubb said:

This is still pretty cryptic to me, as I don't know any way of seeing those skillcheck rolls. Is there a general rule or formula to optimise these odds by? Your skillcheck roll is between 0 and 100 afaik, but it's not like just going for the most difficult action will will be more likely to result in a skill gain because the roll was low - there's also the "50% rule", at least in creation, that implies the best odds to grind with is 50:50, so it can't just be "make it more difficult"? Or is the "50% rule" only viable because successful skill rolls on failed actions give substantially less skill gain, so it's just a compromise between "as much difficulty as possible without constantly failing and getting just a fraction of skill"?

https://www.dreamsleeve.org/wurm/grinder/ is your best bet for optimizing skillgain if you don't like doing maths

Best skillgain for creation is 75% actually, you want a mean of around 20-25ql/result. 50% create chance would be 42% skillgain instead of the max effective which is 53%.
The skillgain roll and the actual action roll aren't always linked, but they nearly always share the same formula/chance for success. generally doing actions hundreds of times and checking success chance in logs, then moving ql of tools or diff of actions up or down is the classic way of finding best skillgain.

• Like 2

Thank you for the link. I used it and a link contained within the thread linked. This helped me get to my goal faster than I thought possible with less resources and less waste. Thank you for the link

• Like 1