Sign in to follow this  
Zahnweh

Domestication for Animals on Wurm?

Domestication has always been around in real life, a step from mere taming where an animal is actually loyal and more than just a step away from going to kill you.  In the case of dogs and cats, it's what defines and shaped our histories together, so it'd make sense to include some form of that in Wurm.  It'd be nice to have a trait for animals if you're a certain level in husbandry that you can domesticate them, particularly through breeding submissive and docile animals together.  Maybe creating normal cats instead of wildcats and...  dogs.   Yeah, I'm still thinking of what a step up from our normal Wurmian dog would be.  Just a thought.  Not really anything game changing, and to keep it from being too abusive, you can make it so that only certain animals are able to be domesticated.

• Like 1

the whole animal taming/husbandry line of skills needs to be reworked.  It's such an untapped area of potential especially in a world where pet-based games are super popular around the world.  

So much potential here.  Training pets for fighting to take with you hunting, teaching them skills (animations/emotes?) having races all sorts of stuff.

Not to mention the current trait system is so archaic.  It could be revamped to be more refined/tweaked depending on the creature being born and the original parents genes.

12 hours ago, jonsnow said:

the whole animal taming/husbandry line of skills needs to be reworked.  It's such an untapped area of potential especially in a world where pet-based games are super popular around the world.  

So much potential here.  Training pets for fighting to take with you hunting, teaching them skills (animations/emotes?) having races all sorts of stuff.

Not to mention the current trait system is so archaic.  It could be revamped to be more refined/tweaked depending on the creature being born and the original parents genes.

I know what you mean, it can be so vastly improved, but at the same time we need to remember that there's limitations with the current medium that Wurm Online is built on.  I'm also still trying to think of what details that this idea could have, genetic traits have always been there, but certain ones in Wurm seem less like traits and more like developments that are acquired through a creature's natural lifespan (which would be awesome as well, building up a horse's stamina and speed and breeding horses that are naturally going to be more faster) but the risk of these things is that for selective breeding is that you might need to interbreed or selectively breed your animals with each other.  In real life, some animals like certain breeds of dogs have a naturally greater susceptibility to disease, defects, and just general problems due to their lineage history of inbreeding.  There can also be cases for mutations where a trait that wasn't possible or available can appear out of nowhere in an offspring, either detrimental or beneficial and it's up to you on whether you want to pass that on or cull the animal.

Training pets fits well with early English sports of hunting, especially for sport, and using dogs to help hunt for animals like foxes.   I, just personally love the idea of coming home to a cat, feeding it out of a pottery bowl on the ground and just interacting with it for taming.  People like little things like this.  Small things where you can feel more attached to the world, pets have always been around since antiquity, and they've been beneficial in being either companions or just helping keep out pests.   :)  Not to mention, I am imagining coat options for dogs and cats that you can breed in, novelty chickens, pet rats, and the like.   Really, you can imagine that there's probably an animal out there that someone might enjoy having for a pet.   Can't imagine keeping a snake until we have the method of creating terrariums (doubt that since we can't make glass, and that's pretty important for keeping them from escaping and trying to make friends with you in the middle of the night).   XD  Pet spider that is kept in a cage, fed rats and small animals?   Really, you can think of a lot of options, and it works depends on how difficult you wanna make it.   Imagine how you would capture that animal safely, how would you drag it back home, you'd need to prepare a lot of things in advance for its arrival and expect a lot of work and effort to be put in acclimating it.   There's the risk of it dying from stress, or escaping depending on your level. 

Even if you manage to keep it alive and happy, you'll need to worry about feeding it, and depending on its age and species, you might be able to tame it.   Certain ones just can't be tamed, and even after taming, it's not domesticated.  Breeding it, hand-rearing those offspring, and acclimating them to people will help speed up the process of taming.   Not to mention, if you're a good enough tamer, you might get a docile one.   Two docile parents will guarantee a few domesticated offspring which will never go wild.   Of course, if they lose their owner, they become feral animals.  Feral pets aren't like wild ones, they will always have the potential of producing domesticated children, but they still have the mindset and condition of a wild animal themselves.   High enough tamers/breeders can domesticate feral pets. 

I think the reason they never revamped this system is because of engine limitations.  The game already is taxed by everyone breeding 20+ animals on their deeds...

It's also why we don't see much variation in domesticated animals colors, and why keeping them domesticated has never been very easy (chickens eat too much, and sometimes starve even when on a tile with food).

Well, even something as simple as making it so that wildcats don't go aggressive on you if they untame would be nice.  I never understood them doing that.  Mountain Lions are more understandable, wolves too, but wildcats?  And it hurts me to see my guards kill one, or accidentally murder one myself.  I love cats, and that just kills me inside.

• Like 1