Sign in to follow this  
Kohle

Having fun, but someone check the server?

There's this whine that's just getting louder and louder. It makes it hard to play. I've turned off kingdom chat (again). That seems to help a lot, but then it gets louder again when I have the forums open. Keenan, you're not sharing hardware between Jackal and the forums, are you?

Kudos to the devs for an interesting, non-PvP challenge. I'm looking forward to possible tweaks here and there as you see how things pan out.

I'm also looking forward to when "constructive criticism" comes with a much larger emphasis on the former instead of the latter.

• Like 1

Didn't you hear, it's all just a money grab.  CC should be providing the whole thing free of charge, otherways it's just literally unplayable.

How is this a money grab when CC are investing at lot of effort to move us to AWS?

• Like 1

It would be even more fun if everyone wasn't just plopping down deeds and hiding in their towns/being anti-social... If there was some sort of conflict to unite all of us to have to group consistently and help each other out... Right now it's being played exactly like Freedom.  You even have people complaining about overcrowding, and moving their deeds far away so they can be "solo".    People are seriously decorating their deeds and working on stuff like wine.   I thought this was supposed to be an invasion?  Are we inviting the Jackal hordes over for tea and wine?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

Are we inviting the Jackal hordes over for tea and wine?

From what I read here, tea and whine... :P   I don't think anyone had any illusions that the server would be reset in six months, it was a fact.  For that reason I knew I would struggle since I am such a packrat.  Following butterflies seem to be my funtime, so I would become easy bait for a rift jackal or ogre.  However, I also know most of my friends are on Jackal and report having a lot of fun over there.  Wetas seem popular.   Luckily people can have the best of both worlds here:  Go to Jackal and fight the beasties,  then come back to Freedom to check on the new foals and get some sleep bonus.

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 2

It really is the best new server they've ever released.  It's got a unique set of rules to itself, making it a great "break" from the tedium of the normal Freedom servers.   Some of us will be full time jackal players for sure... I will definitely be back for the next reset and will still play for a month or two on the current Jackal until most of the map is completed.

• Like 2

In reality, People complain, people complain about people complaining, developers listen to complaints, people complaining about people complaining become the complainers. So you can't really please anybody but not expecting people to voice their opinions is pretty dumb.

3 hours ago, Legios said:

...but not expecting people to voice their opinions is pretty dumb.

How about expecting adults to voice their opinions like adults?

Hoping for adults to ...?

Oh well. More proof that you can graduate college and still be dumb, I guess.

On 9/10/2019 at 5:25 PM, Kohle said:

How about expecting adults to voice their opinions like adults?

Hoping for adults to ...?

Oh well. More proof that you can graduate college and still be dumb, I guess.

I guess we all have our own opinions and expectations. I'd probably lower the bar a bit more it's the internet after all or expect to be disappointed often.

At least wurm is not an epic store exclusive  ;]

Edited by Legios
  • Cat 1

9 hours ago, Legios said:

At least wurm is not an epic store exclusive  ;]

Don't even joke!

• Like 1

And here we go again with the Tea and Noisy Transmission of WURM. Well Jackal sounded cool till I read this, and thought we were not going to be able to Deed on Jackal. Sounds like Deeds are killing the main goal there. Work Together to get to the Jackal Fortress. Solo play is going to ruin Jackal.

On 9/12/2019 at 11:13 AM, ArthurHawkwing said:

Solo play is going to ruin Jackal.

The server needs to attract a broad spectrum of the playerbase in order to be successful. "Solo" self directed players contribute to this as well in many ways not so obvious as grouping together to be a follower of others. Deeds too are beneficial as survival points in an environment too hostile and otherwise unenjoyable to all but the most extreme of the boisterous survivalists. Making the server restrictive in these respects then attracts a dwindling remnant of what otherwise could be a multiple mix of players. We can even see the Devs attempting to offer some benefit skill wise to players when they return to their home servers to counteract their thoughts that they are just wasting their time here for 6 months when within the main game they would have been able to progress their characters substantially in comparison.

Playing on this server reminds me of starting on one of the WU low/medium rate progress servers and even without some of the benefits that they would offer in terms of starting skills and tools. The main difference here being that Jackal is attached to the main game of WO and you must pay the same rate to play on it. I see it as having about as little benefit to my main character as playing WU, so I just play there with an alt to enjoy the different evolvement of the server, strange environment and creatures. Even then the 6 month wipe time of everything accomplished is worse than playing on a WU server because this is stated from the beginning whereas in WU the goal of most servers is to last for years as a number of them have already done. So this 6 month point will be in the back of everyone's mind from the start. A hard dilemma point for the Devs to deal with I would imagine, as to me it automatically diminishes the value of anything I accomplish there other than passing time in a for now novel environment.

=Ayes=

• Like 2