Sign in to follow this  
Wildelf

Help with sealing up a mine/entrance

Looking for someone willing to help me to seal this mine entrance, just right next to my cottage. Its look unsafe and unprofessional whoever did it. My cottage is located in Haven and don't really have much coins, but I do have some gems. Was hoping someone help me seal this mine entrance, that go down 4 tiles steep angle of 45 degree. It been brothering me all week and very much like to seal this off, so I can fill it with dirt.

Anyone willing to help? Was told a priest can do it, but unfort I just started almost two weeks ago and not even close to be doing something like that atm.

As i'm stopping by to visit you anyway as we discussed i'll bring a nahjo priest to collapse and fix your mine as well.  I have some  welcome to wurm prezzies as well.  Plus your spear to accompany your archer druid warrior wood elf self.

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 3

That Bloodscythe is a good one, always out there to help out fellow Wurmians :)

• Like 1

Bloodscythe, thanks that was really nice of you helping me with the mine here. We had a good day doing things and couple of rares and a supreme dirt I found. Now I need to work on that new mine on the other side of the road, this would make up for the mine I wanted shutdown.

It was a long day, but we manage :)

@Nomadikhan, yeah he does help people and that is good for new players.

Edited by Wildelf

23 hours ago, Bloodscythe said:

As i'm stopping by to visit you anyway as we discussed i'll bring a nahjo priest to collapse and fix your mine as well.

So you destroyed a Public Mine in the Haven perimeter because this person did not like it next to the spot they settled at there? I would think that you would realize that the rock level is very deep there so a paved 20 slope path of about 10-12 tiles long was necessary to reach the level to mine the opening. Then you would note that a stone mine door was on it set for all to access and that a sign was next to it marked Public Rock-Iron Mine. Then when you entered the mine to look around you would have noted that all the floor tiles were level and paved with stone slabs. You would have seen 2 50-60 QL forges in there with a bulk bin next to 1 of them filled with fuel logs marked as such, as well as the forges marked Public Forge. You would have seen all the side walls were reinforced maybe 10 tiles into the mine 2 tiles wide where at the end players could continue to mine rock. You would have seen a Vynora altar in there with a trash bin next to it for mine clean up. Also a oil barrel there filled with water for all to use.

Why do I know all these things? Because one of my alts built that mine for everyone to use. As I described it you would have noted that it was all well constructed for that purpose with the entry ramp leading down to it set at the standard 20 slope for easy access. I have to say that I am very disappointed in your decision to assist in destroying this mine based upon the lack of knowledge of a newer player who my alt guy even spoke to about it when he complained to him about this mine next to his spot, which by the way my same guy had also leveled out that whole area so anyone could build there. Why should this mine be destroyed just because this 1 person did not like being next to it? Maybe better they should move elsewhere and leave the mine alone so that every other player who would be in the area might have a chance to use it? How did this whole situation I described not occur to you in your good intentions to "help" this player?

If I destroyed a Public Mine in the Haven perimeter I don't think I could justify any reason for doing so. So yeah, I wouldn't do it for any reason really, especially one that was so obviously set up for everyone to use with a path down into it designed correctly. I was very disappointed to read this and then go to see the destruction that was done with the mine now sealed up and dirt started to be filled in on top of it. You should have known better than to do this when you arrived there and examined this clearly labeled Public Rock-Iron Mine. Maybe you thought you were back on the pvp server? I am very disappointed in your lack of judgement here. Wow! Kind of amazed that you did this really...

=Ayes=

I'm not sure if you are addressing that to me ayes or the new player.  If to me i'd preferred a pm and i could explain what unfolded for me.   It was described as a mine near their place abandoned they wanted to move and could i help.  Upon arrival I saw sign said public mine , nice mine door, forges, reinforced walls.  Told player this doesn't look right and i'd advise not closing it.  I don't want to point a finger at the new player for being new don't always understand all the ramifications of things or what significance something may have.  As such i inquired more, player got no answer in ca help, I then asked a cm, the cm could not answer the question and advised i put in a support ticket.  The support ticket wasn't answered at first but rerouted to ca help where no answer given so i asked that they first examine the situation before responding to a ticket not inquired about in more detail for there were nuances and details of that mine I had concern about.  I had a thought perhaps this was a public resource and perhaps made by someone stewarding haven's landing and thus left alone.  I was chastised and moderately berrated for putting in a ticket to ask for clarification.  The GM was rather curt to a point of rudeness and made clear this is in public domain it's not under any protection.

I was trying to avoid the very thing you are upset about ayes.  This is where somehow helping someone goes wrong and makes me not want to or question why do I.

I suggested to the player they not and explained why, of things you mentioned.  as it is next to their plot i guess they are free to do as the please and i did add just cause you can't dont mean you should.  I also know they mean the best and didnt' want to annoy anyone yet they seem steadfast to move it and are creating another entrance nearby not right next to their plot.  This turned out to be a crappy situation and somehow after gm ticket you come next day has me wonder as well about something.  At any rate you have a right to be upset, i'm sorry your disappointed in my judgment but perhaps you could have talked to me first before judging for yourself my actions.  This was not My decision, yet one i followed through on agreeing to help with.  Judge that i guess.  I pm to discuss it could have been more courteous and you'd have known more than you knew before making that casting opinion.    It can also be dug down easily enough and reopened and thus corrected.  Happy wurming all, I got sound advice all the way around from bad advice on submitting a ticket to get thrashed by a gm for doing so to no suggestion to do otherwise, to fullfilling players wish.   I'm just bad and ty for pointing that out.

I certainly won't be returning to assist further and this may very well reshape offering help in the future

Either way i'm sorry for i've obviously either done wrong should have known better , in the moment i took all measures i could and thought to do.  Sorry to all affected by this.   On the good side it can easily be fixed as well.  Namaste.

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bloodscythe said:

Either way i'm sorry for i've obviously either done wrong should have known better , in the moment i took all measures i could and thought to do.  Sorry to all affected by this.   On the good side it can easily be fixed as well.  Namaste.

I agree, you should have known better to do this as you stated that you had noted all the things that I mentioned and went ahead sealed up the mine enabling whoever to start to fill up the ramp down to it with dirt. I also agree that you could go and "easily" fix it as well and return this Public Rock-Iron Mine to its former state of well constructed usefulness to everyone.

I am sure you did not do this with malicious intent but were mainly focused upon "helping" a new player but all the same this does not mean doing anything they ask you to do. All the while you even state here that you were questioning the reasonableness and fairness of what you were doing. You should have just trusted your own judgement and explained politely that this was a Public Mine as indicated by the sign and it should not be destroyed within Haven's Landing perimeter which was a public access area created for the benefit of *all* players. Actually my alt guy already explained this to Wildelf when he met him once over there casually talking and the guy even said at that time that he didn't like this slope that was dug down next to where he had fenced in fearing it would fill up with water or was just too deep into the ground to be safe. I calmly explained the water table and the depth that must be dug to reach rock in this area to make a mine and that it should be left as is for everyone to use. Then he turns around anyway and convinces someone to destroy it a week or two later.

Yes, my former post was address to you as I see no value in contacting or explaining anything to this person after what he in effect did with no thought of anyone but himself. You admit you made a mistake in judgement here and there was no need for me to sweep it all under the rug within a PM. Actually you could have sent me one if you wished to discuss it further. I think this other person who convinced you to do this needed to have the situation put forth out in the open as well, so there it is. A very selfish individual who was the instigator of this whole mess. Now my alt guy should have to go "fix" this and perhaps this instigator will then just find someone else to destroy it all again or maybe reach the point in skills where he could do it himself later? Not gonna happen...

=Ayes=

22 minutes ago, Ayes said:

I agree, you should have known better to do this as you stated that you had noted all the things that I mentioned and went ahead sealed up the mine enabling whoever to start to fill up the ramp down to it with dirt. I also agree that you could go and "easily" fix it as well and return this Public Rock-Iron Mine to its former state of well constructed usefulness to everyone.

I am sure you did not do this with malicious intent but were mainly focused upon "helping" a new player but all the same this does not mean doing anything they ask you to do. All the while you even state here that you were questioning the reasonableness and fairness of what you were doing. You should have just trusted your own judgement and explained politely that this was a Public Mine as indicated by the sign and it should not be destroyed within Haven's Landing perimeter which was a public access area created for the benefit of *all* players. Actually my alt guy already explained this to Wildelf when he met him once over there casually talking and the guy even said at that time that he didn't like this slope that was dug down next to where he had fenced in fearing it would fill up with water or was just too deep into the ground to be safe. I calmly explained the water table and the depth that must be dug to reach rock in this area to make a mine and that it should be left as is for everyone to use. Then he turns around anyway and convinces someone to destroy it a week or two later.

Yes, my former post was address to you as I see no value in contacting or explaining anything to this person after what he in effect did with no thought of anyone but himself. You admit you made a mistake in judgement here and there was no need for me to sweep it all under the rug within a PM. Actually you could have sent me one if you wished to discuss it further. I think this other person who convinced you to do this needed to have the situation put forth out in the open as well, so there it is. A very selfish individual who was the instigator of this whole mess. Now my alt guy should have to go "fix" this and perhaps this instigator will then just find someone else to destroy it all again or maybe reach the point in skills where he could do it himself later? Not gonna happen...

=Ayes=

If the new player replaces the entrance to the mine on a location more suitable to his liking (since he’s settled there also) is it really a big deal?

it sounds like bloodscythe put a lot of effort into making sure it wasn’t a safeguarded area and if I had a rude interaction with any staff about it I’d probably say f%#* it too. 

It has been a long-standing rule on wurm.. deed it or lose it. 

Perimeters are not deeded tiles

The player could have easily done this on their own anyway, it would have just been more expensive so why is bloodscythe getting the blame here?

Sounds like you have an issue with a neighbor maybe, but not bloodscythe... and an issue that may be perfectly reasonable to resolve by changing the location of the entrance 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xor said:

If the new player replaces the entrance to the mine on a location more suitable to his liking (since he’s settled there also) is it really a big deal?

Yes, it is a big deal. Your response is nonsense. Everything that is needed to be known about this situation is within my posts. If you can't figure out that a mine created within the Haven's Landing perimeter for public use labeled as such with the interior 2 iron veins exposed, facilities provided for smelting the ore and excavated as described should not be sealed up just because one individual wants that for some peculiar self centered reasons without consideration of anyone else then any further explanation of the obvious will be rejected by you as well so is both time and wasted words.

In addition, this new player has not the capability, skills, nor knowledge to make a new mine anywhere near the standards of the one that they strangely were able to convince someone else to destroy. Beyond this it is even pointless to do so. This is not some remote location with a pit dug into the ground awkwardly as a new player would attempt to do. It was designed for all new players to use, even old ones too if they wished, within Haven's Landing perimeter. The sign next to the stone mine door was even labeled "Public Rock-Iron Mine".

But you have read all this and are capable of comprehending the situation and continue to attempt to justify it defying the common courtesy of not destroying a Public Mine created for others that did not interfere at all with this person Wildelf residing next to it. So I call your response nonsense made for other motivations that I can not comprehend nor even have any interest in since yeah, it's nonsense (to put it politely). You are just looking for an argument I guess with nothing better to do. Enough said to you then.

=Ayes=

1 hour ago, Ayes said:

Yes, it is a big deal. Your response is nonsense. Everything that is needed to be known about this situation is within my posts. If you can't figure out that a mine created within the Haven's Landing perimeter for public use labeled as such with the interior 2 iron veins exposed, facilities provided for smelting the ore and excavated as described should not be sealed up just because one individual wants that for some peculiar self centered reasons without consideration of anyone else then any further explanation of the obvious will be rejected by you as well so is both time and wasted words.

In addition, this new player has not the capability, skills, nor knowledge to make a new mine anywhere near the standards of the one that they strangely were able to convince someone else to destroy. Beyond this it is even pointless to do so. This is not some remote location with a pit dug into the ground awkwardly as a new player would attempt to do. It was designed for all new players to use, even old ones too if they wished, within Haven's Landing perimeter. The sign next to the stone mine door was even labeled "Public Rock-Iron Mine".

But you have read all this and are capable of comprehending the situation and continue to attempt to justify it defying the common courtesy of not destroying a Public Mine created for others that did not interfere at all with this person Wildelf residing next to it. So I call your response nonsense made for other motivations that I can not comprehend nor even have any interest in since yeah, it's nonsense (to put it politely). You are just looking for an argument I guess with nothing better to do. Enough said to you then.

=Ayes=

You misinterpreted my post entirely, as I understood Bloodscythe’s post the new player intends to create a new entrance to that same mine, and my point was if that is the case what is the big deal? 

Mostly I was just defending bloodscythe since you seem quite heated about this and are taking it out on him. I’ve never seen him be anything but polite and courteous and your public attack on him bothers me. 

This could have and likely would have happened without his involvement too. 5s, or any priest looking to make some coin. 

I’ll exit the conversation if you like, but my involvement here is only because you made this all public instead of sending a pm in the first place. 

This is an aweful way to resolve what simply could be resolved and one in a more courteous manner.  Given that there is a mine on deed for players and three other public mines off deed, as well as the player creating a relocated mine to replace the one he wanted closed next to him , it then seems the only problem is someone created something and angry that their work is personally altered.  The player next to the mine and the other settling there are ok with this.  I did this without charge and gave freely of my time and only because this new player seemed eager in wurm, loved the game, i saw them industriously working about quietly as i was helping another try to learn the game of wurm at haven's landing. @Ayes Not that it matters in material to the issue but how would i know to contact you as you suggest i could have?  Am I to know the signature of zen is a character of yours?  It was actually asked around about to try to find who zen was just as side note.  No one in ca help, no one in the area could tell the local players for they didn't know.

Lets not lose sight of the forest for the trees here.  Intent is to help a new player in hopes they feel encouraged and stay and play.  What is not good is to have forum rant postings over things that can be resolved, done so amicably as we are friends yes ayes?, instead of having a public complaint without first trying to discuss via pm, instead making wurm look like an uninviting place.  no one was hurt in this process or inconvenienced to my knowing other than the person who made the mine that is not living there.  I understand and can empathize with your feelings.  I took all reasonable precautions and more so in due diligence.  There is no net loss of public mines nor is this an official public mine but is replaced non the less merely having it's entrance moved some 15 or so tiles i believe is what the player is doing.

Wurm has long had a great community, lets keep it that way and continue to be constructively supportive of one another..  Part of a sandbox game is that many play in it with their own dreams and goals.  Despite advising otherwise, the player had other ideas and has a right to those.  This is not our best work by far.  certainly not mine yet to receive what amounts to a shame post about a good deed attempt is quite something to think about going forward.  I'm sure the area community of players there will use the land as they see fit and adjust and work out problems in their own way, i entrust that to them.  This does curtail enthusiasm to offer help again, for even due diligence could not appease one.  Truly be well all, though imperfect I try to leave wurm each day a better place than I arrived.  People have been good to me I'd like to continue paying it forward.  I won't comment any further on this, for me i have nothing more i can offer or add.

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 2

Ayes, if you really care and want to help, then help me build another mining shaft on the other side the road. I may not be skilled enough, but I will be someday :) The reasons I did this, I wasn't happy with it next to my plot, infact players been leaving junks around my gate and roads I have to clean up after them. Secondly, shouldn't have cut off the road on the other side and there was no fences around that four tiles, that someone could fall down there and that would be fatal.

Ayes, if you going to be rude and disrespectful, then I will simply pack up my stuffs and leave. Seem to be some horrible players hanging out in Haven, that aren't helpful at all. I asked several times to some players been around in that area and got a feeling that is your alts. I wont say who they are, but I know now.

Third, was also trying to add some forests in that area to make it look like a tree park, like a national park. Took me awhile to clean up the mess in the whole NE section of Haven, if you been around that long, doesn't look like you care anyway, except that mining shaft going down so steep. Imagine if there were lava fiends or hellhounds down there, that new players wont stand a chance to escape going up that hill to get out in time.

If this get no where and cant get along, then I will pack my stuffs and leave.

I will just interject with the fact there is an existing public mine. Havens Landing itself has a mine all players can use and are encouraged to do so. 

As it is the perimeter of this zone no one has any say in what can and cannot be done there, I commend bloodscythe for taking the time to check out to make sure he is not stepping on anyones toes or against the rules. 

In the end one of the many mines around Havens landing was closed, this is no big loss as there are many more. 

• Like 4

Retro, I gonna reopen the public mine, since there are like four or more mines in that areas plus a starter mine as well. Sorry I was uncomfortable where that mine was next to my plot and wanted to see if I could make another one on the other side to replace it. When I made this topic, noticed someone is willing to help. We did however ask for permission to do so, as long we replace that mine nearby. But I don't understand why (whoever did this) would destroy the roads on the other side, its like cutting off from outside of Haven. So this mine was way too steep and unsafe, really hard to get outta there, if something nasty in that mine. Plus no fences or barriers on the upper, help keep from someone falling down that four tiles, that would be fatal and unsafe.

Anyway I am going to reopen the mine somehow and pack up my stuffs and leave Haven. There are several players hang out in that area for sometime, doesn't seem to be friendly. And I was trying to make Haven look nice on the NE side, to add some tree parks, etc. But look like this going no where here.

I was really start to enjoy playing Wurm for the first time, then something came up that didn't like what I did, really ruins everything :( and feel unwelcome in Haven, esp for those who have alts or characters. Maybe cause I am an elf? Cause I planted all those trees over next to safehouse??

Edited by Wildelf

There is no damage when you fall into a mine, either from outside or inside the mine, into a dropshaft.

A 20 slope entrance cannot be classified as steep; 20 is the standard slope everyone uses for roads, highways, mine entrances and tunnels leading up or down in caves and whatnot.

@WildelfI do not believe anyone has anything against your race, gender, creed, hair colour or length of the nose. Communication between players goes two ways, perhaps you could also listen what others around you have to say, see if your personal plans are matching their plans and visions for a certain area?

As far as I understand, you are living in the perimeter of the tutorial area, on Independence, which is a public area, heavily shared with people owning deeds there and with all other new'ish players temporarily using the place or just joining the game.

Have you considered finding a place of your own, a little further away, where you can modify the surroundings the way you like it, without the risk of interfering with other people's plans?

Before saying you are a new player, without money to put into the game, let me tell you it doesn't necessarily have to be a deeded area, although deeding helps immensely with a lot of things; living on wild is also possible, doable and happening here and there. Independence is a large server, has a lot of undeeded land, anyone can find his own place that suits him (or her, so nobody feels discriminated).

As for @Ayes's work, before some people getting upset at him and saying he did something potentially endangering new or seasoned players, I can say, without seeing that mine, that nothing can be less true!!!

For many years Ayes was around, and not only on Independence, but on other servers as well, creating beautiful safe spaces around starter deeds (starting back in a time when life in Wurm was MUCH more harsh than it is now), maintaining public mines, crafting areas, offering supplies to passers by, putting his time, efforts and personal money in the service of a community which - as it can be seen here - is not always the most grateful. Unfortunately, older players, who should recognize such services done for the benefit of many, are enjoying being "helpful" and ruining what was done, sometimes only for the sake of being called helpful.

Perhaps many of you have no idea what Ayes did for others over the years. That's understandable: he did it using alts, characters nobody knew they belonged to him. He never bragged on forums or in chats about what he did and, when one or another found out "x" character was Ayes, his identity wasn't made public, in respect for his humble anonimity in which he did his work.

Edited by nusuth
  • Like 3

I do appreciate your post here Nusuth. True enough I try to do things that will help new players such as creating this Public Mine in Haven's Landing perimeter without feeling the need to advertise that I had done them; thus using alts who are capable to do various projects while at the same time benefiting their own skills. Even in this case I would never had let on that I had anything to do with it until I read that it had been destroyed. I don't see any malicious intent in what Bloodscythe did here. No doubt before he arrived the person asking for "help" did not describe the situation accurately to him as he stated that when he did arrive there he questioned whether this was a good idea for him to do.

Now somehow I am being made out the bad guy for reacting with disappointment that Bloodscythe did this. To state that this was justifiable because there are some other Public Mines available in the perimeter (only 1 that I know of) makes no sense as a justification for the reason that this new player wanted it destroyed. There are vast areas around where he settled that could be used so needing the land was not the issue. Neither was there any danger of falling into a steeper part of the ramp down as there was no path around the top of it to encourage anyone to run around it and fall down to get damaged fatally. This situation just shows a lack of knowledge on this new players part and no concern for the work put forth by someone else to create this Public Mine with the interior facilities as described for all to use that played within that area or even passed by. People should actually view the situation so that they know what they are talking about and have some experience spending time in that area to see how players are interacting with it.

Another reason I don't use my character Ayes for these types of public works is that since I am outspoken on these forums if *certain* people find out that I had anything to do with them they might take steps to mess them up with actual malicious intent, which as I stated was not the intent of Bloodscythe but in the end the destruction was the same. As I see Retrograde condones this as acceptable I am sure also that it has more to do with the fact that I was behind the creation of this Public Mine than anything else.

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I commend bloodscythe for taking the time to check out to make sure he is not stepping on anyones toes or against the rules. 

In the end one of the many mines around Havens landing was closed, this is no big loss as there are many more.

Yeah sure, "no big loss". I will continue to do things/projects that are beneficial to other players because well, I enjoy doing them. The satisfaction comes from knowing that a few will enjoy and appreciate them while wondering who created this mysterious project. With some detective work they could many times figure it out anyway. Sometimes obvious, sometimes not. If they are destroyed as this one was I may pop out of the woodwork and say something about it. Maybe, maybe not. Who knows...

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Well Ayes I did ask and nothing good coming out of this, already mention if you are willing to help out by either repairing the mine or relocate it. Unfort this isn't going well for me, like don't care and Bloodscythe did help and even ask for permission. I know that he help others as well, giving some few items to help out with without even asking for something in return. That is why I never see you around until this started. I bumped into few players (possible your alts) that are strange and doesn't like others. That doesn't want to talk, get involved or anything. I been poking around in Haven for about two weeks, I didn't see anything good going on and infact I did ask few times in general chat, nothing. Except for new players, that they know nothing or even know how to play.

Anyway this isn't going where I was hoping for, so I am stop playing this elf and try to start a new character as new life. Sadly this had to go down the drain cause I didn't up setup a deed, infact it was alittle too close to Haven and the others didn't like what I was trying to do around my plot. They didn't have a deed over it, so I could do whatever I wanted, well I tried to do the right things here and nothing good in return.

Bloodscythe is a good player and does help when he can, on the other hands I don't see anything good on your parts or even by reputation. You can go ahead and destroy my plot if you like, I am done with it!

Wildelf RIP!

Edited by Wildelf

1 hour ago, Wildelf said:

Well Ayes I did ask and nothing good coming out of this, already mention if you are willing to help out by either repairing the mine or relocate it. Unfort this isn't going well for me, like don't care and Bloodscythe did help and even ask for permission. I know that he help others as well, giving some few items to help out with without even asking for something in return. That is why I never see you around until this started. I bumped into few players (possible your alts) that are strange and doesn't like others. That doesn't want to talk, get involved or anything. I been poking around in Haven for about two weeks, I didn't see anything good going on and infact I did ask few times in general chat, nothing. Except for new players, that they know nothing or even know how to play.

Anyway this isn't going where I was hoping for, so I am stop playing this elf and try to start a new character as new life. Sadly this had to go down the drain cause I didn't up setup a deed, infact it was alittle too close to Haven and the others didn't like what I was trying to do around my plot. They didn't have a deed over it, so I could do whatever I wanted, well I tried to do the right things here and nothing good in return.

Bloodscythe is a good player and does help when he can, on the other hands I don't see anything good on your parts or even by reputation.

Wildelf RIP!

Wildelf, yes Bloodscythe is a good person and likes to help others. There are many in Wurm who like to help others. (and unfortunately some who just like to cause trouble), and some like to do good deeds anonymously, as Ayes does.  Ayes is one of those people, who has over the years always anonymously helped others, and has put in many, many hours (and in some cases his own money) making nice areas around starter deeds for public use. To state that you don't see anything good on his part, even by reputation, just shows that you're new & unaware. (and understandably dismayed and a little hurt by this unfortunate situation).

Unfortunately, due to the nature of Wurm, these types of situations have come up more than once over the years and you shouldn't stop playing your character because of it.  Just understand that it's Wurm.  Land disputes over how undeeded land should be used are frequent , even land that someone has claimed as their own without deeding it (which is allowed), hence the saying "deed it or lose it" which is supposed to settle it & make everyone feel better about it but never does.  Another saying in Wurm is "just because you can, doesn't mean you should."  As a sandbox, many things are allowed that shouldn't necessarily be done out of common courtesy.  In general, messing up the work of others where it has clearly not been abandoned, is not a good idea.

In this situation though it's not exactly undeeded land, it's the perimeter of the starter deed, and Ayes made that mine as a convenience to be used by all. And from the sounds of it there was a whole lot of work involved, not to mention signs set out, etc., stating that it was for the public. So on this point I feel Retro is out of line & very inconsiderate to just brush it off with a "no big deal." Just my opinion. 

My understanding is that Haven, which is a fairly new thing in Wurm, is allowing people to settle in the perimeter(?),  but in general I thought it was supposed to be public lands with resources and facilities intended to be used by all and not claimed or blocked off in such a way as to prevent others from using them.  A place where new players could have a safe haven to familiarize themselves with the game before venturing out to either join a village or start their own, not to set up permanent housekeeping.

I know Haven is different from private deeds, but as a general rule, doing anything in perimeters that aren't yours is bad form and buildings can't even be built, (and if building can be done in Haven perimeter then that's definitely different from private perimeters). Since you're new you can't be expected to know any of this right off so don't take this wrong, I'm not criticizing. It's just that it can potentially lead to hard feelings, as it has in this case and you should just be aware of it. And with building/settling allowed, I doubt this will be the last time Haven perimeter land is disputed just as undeeded lands elsewhere are hotly disputed at times. It's a Wurm thing, no reason to think that's ever going to change so it's just something to be aware of and gotten used to. 

As you venture out and learn more about Wurm, it's a good idea to keep in mind that settling in an area and making changes to the work of others, like public roads & tunnels for instance (another hot issue of debate sometimes), can often lead to bad feelings for all involved. And if you mess with someone's perimeter, you're likely to start a real firestorm. There is so much open land that it's not difficult at all to find areas where you won't impact anyone else's game, even on Independence. 

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 6

oh this thread was a good read

havens landing has infinitely spawning iron veins in it with forges and stuff too, just fyi

I thank you for your kind words directed at me @Amadeeand your attempt to explain to this newer player some of the co-operation and courtesies extended to others within it. As I think I have said all that I wanted to about this situation I won't drag it out further with my comments. As always, people will draw their own conclusions on this situation and others, so I leave it to them.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Wow.  I am just surprised at how this turned out.  I've never been to Haven's Landing, but I'm curious...  are there no preallocated lots for newbies?

This is what I love about Wurm! Mistakes accidents even intentional destruction or just ones will above another.

Edited by lowborn
punctuation

Alright I manage to find a suitable place for an elf to hang out and enjoy, at the meantime still trying to setup the place and transporting stuffs and that is not easy task. So while I am in Haven, gonna continue to try to reopen the mineshaft before I leave this place for good. Been digging time to time when I get a chance, even a new player want to help me. That was nice, he almost felled in that hole and told me that wasn't the first time he died from a deep steep hole. That what I was afraid of, so I told him don't stand too close on the edge while digging or you will slide down there in the pit.

So it look like it going to take me longer than I expected to reopen the mineshaft for the public. I wont abandoned it until I am done, then I will move out of Haven.

Btw he asked me who did this "who put those trees there behind the fences?" i wasn't sure what he mean, until i realize he was talking about the one I planted over a week ago. He said "wow" and like it. So we had alittle chat, told him what happen and wondering why i am digging here, etc. So also told him what happen and feel bad for doing this and want to clean up my mess i made. He still want to help, that was the interesting parts. Also told him, i am going to pack up and leave, once i am done reopening the mineshaft. He was upset and didn't want me to leave. He manage to make a little cube hut or shed right next to my plot. So i told him you can have my big cottage i made once i am finish. But he was sad and still didn't want me to leave. Also he wanted to make his own cabin there next to me.

Anyway he been asked a lot of questions, like how to plants those trees i did, etc. I told him you can continue to do what i started if you want, after i leave and keep that place clean and nice and neat. As long don't mess with someone mine lol. Hard to tell if this actually a new player or just messing with me. He been around since tried to shut down the mine that very day.

Edited by Wildelf
  • Like 4

Sounds like you found a potential villager to take away from Haven with you. You might save them from the same harsh lesson about densely populated areas in the process.

Flubb, its a small settlement of two players that are close to each others and I found this place I liked like three weeks ago and didn't take up on it. Infact I wasn't an experience player back then, just started. While learning new things and get a hang of it, that is why I decided to stick with Haven to see what kinda people are there and how friendly, but didn't turn out good as I though it would.

Anyway this cozy place I found, really suit an elf, that is connected to the big lake, having a little Elven Bungalow under a lot of trees and good overlook into the lake. I am happy there, made a deed and now going to take time for me setup the place. I named it Shady Hollow :)

Edited by Wildelf
  • Like 4