Sign in to follow this  
Sunrayn

GM Character dying for no reason

My GM character has died twice tonight, in the exact same spot.  No warning, just dead, respawn screen.  Went back for my corpse, stepped on the same tile to retrieve my stuff, boom, dead again.  No messages, full water and food, invis, so nothing hostile and no mobs around anyway.  Not going to chance trying to retrieve my casket again because I don't want to waste a night playing and all I get done is corpse runs.  This also happened one other time about a year ago, different location, same unexplained death.  This is on a creative LAN server.

as GM you could summon the corpse to you easy enough without stepping on tile.

It is an unusual thing, what comes to mind is a mission rule trigger set to deliberately kill anyone/anything that steps on that tile.

If it was lava you could see it visually.

I don't recall anything in default Wurm that would do this, so yeah I am thinking mission ruler or possibly a mod but what kind of mod would insta kill stuff for stepping on a tile?

You can glitch between layers if you fly over a mine, sometimes. The only time I died as a GM was due to map issues or glitching "between" layers. 

• Like 1

Also happens sometimes if you used GM powers to raise or lower the ground level, or turned it to (or from) rock.  

No mods installed.  Was GM building a road and had been walking the area sizing up grades and such.  Stepped on a dirt tile at the edge of the water and spun around to look back over the line where I wanted the road.  Just about that time, the respawn screen popped up.  Flew back to the area to retrieve my corpse and continue scoping out the area.  Landed a few tiles away from my casket and walked up to it, soon as I stepped on that tile, respawn screen popped up again.  Baffled by what happened, no apparent reason for it.  Hadn't even begun to level or pack the ground.

Can we have a screen shot of the tile in question? Anything in the server logs around the time it happened?

Server log from deaths.

Spoiler

INFO: Gmsun intrateleport to 1809.8912,3791.93, 0.06184388, layer -1 currentTile:null=false reason=blocked by Cave wall hasVisionArea=true, initialized=true vehicle=-10
java.lang.Exception
    at com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Creature.intraTeleport(Creature.java:18667)
    at com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Communicator.movePlayer(Communicator.java:753)
    at com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Communicator.pollNextMove(Communicator.java:1063)
    at com.wurmonline.server.Server.pollComms(Server.java:2664)
    at com.wurmonline.server.Server.run(Server.java:2542)
    at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:555)
    at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:505)

Sep 07, 2019 8:57:29 PM com.wurmonline.server.zones.VolaTile addItem
INFO: adding corpse of Gmsun in rock at 452, 947
Sep 07, 2019 8:57:29 PM com.wurmonline.server.players.Player calculateSpawnPoints
INFO: Calculating spawn points for Gmsun took 0ms
Sep 07, 2019 8:57:29 PM com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Communicator logWarn
WARNING: Gmsun number of speedmods sent:12
Sep 07, 2019 8:58:11 PM com.wurmonline.server.Server run
INFO: VisionArea null for Gmsun, creating one.
Sep 07, 2019 9:00:09 PM com.wurmonline.server.statistics.Statistics run
INFO: current mem in use: 888M free mem: 597M Max mem: 2010M
player count: 1
bytes in: 79998 bytes out: 2170153 total in: 79998 total out: 2170153
Server uptime: 300 seconds. Unanswered questions:0
Sep 07, 2019 9:05:09 PM com.wurmonline.server.statistics.Statistics run
INFO: current mem in use: 903M free mem: 516M Max mem: 2010M
player count: 1
bytes in: 148454 bytes out: 2131094 total in: 228452 total out: 4301247
Server uptime: 600 seconds. Unanswered questions:0
Sep 07, 2019 9:09:53 PM com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Creature intraTeleport
INFO: Gmsun intrateleport to 1809.3766,3787.9775, 0.028856434, layer -1 currentTile:null=false reason=blocked by Cave wall hasVisionArea=true, initialized=true vehicle=-10
java.lang.Exception
    at com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Creature.intraTeleport(Creature.java:18667)
    at com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Communicator.movePlayer(Communicator.java:753)
    at com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Communicator.pollNextMove(Communicator.java:1063)
    at com.wurmonline.server.Server.pollComms(Server.java:2664)
    at com.wurmonline.server.Server.run(Server.java:2542)
    at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:555)
    at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:505)

Sep 07, 2019 9:09:53 PM com.wurmonline.server.zones.VolaTile addItem
INFO: adding corpse of Gmsun in rock at 452, 946

Except I wasn't in a cave, I was standing on a beach about 20 tiles directly south of the mine corridor at the coords where it deposited my casket both times.  However, I did fly over the mountain where the mine is as I am planning on converting it to a tunnel to connect roads.

Edited by Sunrayn

I think Jerone hit this 1 on the head.

Seems like your client says you didn't go inside the mine but the server is saying you did do inside the mine as you flew over entrance but the odds on flying over exact same spot in the same way after respawning would have to be pretty slim. Maybe try avoiding the mine entrance and see if you still die, or as GM teleport to the tile instead.

Yep, Jerone figured it out.  Only question I have now is why.  Can't be due to ping as my ping is in the single digits consistently.  I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often as it did happen twice in a row to me and google searches came up empty except for one thread on this board, which was never responded to.  Guess this can now be a PSA about how GMs flying can be deadly in Wurm.  Keep your feet on the ground folks, the flying won't kill ya but cave glitches can.

Many thanks everyone.

yeah when you fly over a mine entrance you always lose flying and it generally drops you to the ground, I guess if you are to high up then you don't drop on your screen but the server thinks you did since the server only knows numbers and it set you to -1 which is under ground. I have never died because of it personally but it seems others have.

I guess because there is no 'ground' where the mine entrance is then the server says you can't possibly be above ground on that tile because it simply doesn't exist.

• Like 1

I vary rarely have the event tab open.  The only time it is open is if I need to see an event, like 'analyze' for mining, 'examine', stuff like that.  I play on a private LAN server with my wife, and 99% of the time we are together so I try to avoid the event spam that gets generated.  That's probably the number one reason those deaths were a total mystery to me.

I am a GM on an WU server and it was because of lag and a relog. LOL happened twice.. the only thing that can kill a GM is the server itself LOL it happens.

Same here, if fly above a cave entrance fast, i sometimes die, reason is prob entering a wall-tile, and server decides its death.
I just try and avoid cave-entrances now :)