LordLouis

Throw me a frikkin bone here

This will likely give some hot shot nerds some ammo of neeeh you're dumb look how clever I am etc,  however can someone shed me some light as to the purpose of this excursion?

So far its rather different to what I thought it would be. There is corruption, to push it back you need to build a beacon, great idea except you can build it anywhere in the corruption? I am seeing random deeds in random places everywhere, I thought you would have to build them on the outskirts to push it back. 

I assumed that at the borders of the corruption there would be rift like things, lots of mobs, penalties, idk. Things to work at and battle together with as many people as possible helping, front line war. 

Is there any penalty for going in the corruption? Seems like you can just wander in and hunt and do what ever you like with no penalty.

Is it just - you cannot deed and its a different colour? Is there no gradually increasing difficulty as you get closer to the centre of the corruption? 

The starting out again part with friends is fun, just wondering what the long term goal is really. 

Thanks. 

• Like 8
  • Like Copy 1

Starting at zero skill.

Server going byebye in 6 months.

Seems like a waste of time to me.

• Like 3

its just regrinding disguised as content, being in greyland does nothing doesn't effect mob spawns or anything as far as i can see, if you can build a fence around your deed its 100% safe so theres not even a reason to need to group up with others or anything for defense.

losing my horse to rift traps is more threatening than this server currently, walking from one end of the map to the other the only danger i found was a raging crocodile spawner

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Starting at zero skill.

Server going byebye in 6 months.

Seems like a waste of time to me.

Some skill will transfer back.. afaik

Maybe some rewards for participating?

Maybe new gear/furniture/recipes of all kinds.. possibly spells.. could be learned and by chance transfered back, making you from jack-nobody.. to the only person able to make something unique in the old cluster?

Who knows..

I still haven't seen if your skill resets with next map wipe, certainly makes no sense to make too pretty deeds there as it wont be there in 6months.. but knowledge you work for.. and if that also resets.. could probably be gained a bit faster to make it irrelevant when it's lost as it's easy and fast to regain from 1 the next reset..

What actually could transfer after the wipe?

Also .. if difficulty is supposed to increase.. shouldn't there be more 'beacons' made in some focused area.. if you are deep onto the lands of the jackal, should the beaons/towers decay fast/er and require maintenance more often?

What about jackal attacks toward the beacons rng or scripted events.. maybe even events where the corrupted locals kidnap a player and requires saving from some specific location or steal supplies.. requiring some player attack back to restore them? idk.. if you run out of things to do.. certain new 'missions'/events could spice your everyday.

If there's not enough difficulty, what could be improved?

Would have been different if no Templars were permitted .

As is , feels like a new server launch with some harder mobs and only newbs  , you know the same thing they did for Release and Pristine .

Who ever designed the terrain is a sadistic jerk , nice going   its like ridding in a speed bump area with potholes  added in for fun .

Its a change if anything , Devs don't even know what skill transfer will be or anything else , sounds like a wing and a prayer setup ..

For now its just a time killer ...   having some fun .....

'some affinities' with already much faster action times.. seems a bit op.... maybe a % ratio.. and idk how fair it will be if you have 3-4 WS affinities on freedom to get a 5th passively transfer freely from jackal.. imo seems a bit OP.. with some rng and lowering the pinch.. seems more balanced.

Randomly wondered...... if devs had any plans to share their view about the new cluster, what they expected, number of player/creature deaths or w/e.. of that sort statistics they could be HOLD'ing for themselves to entertain with, could be an interesting devlog stream or keenan post(actually we've had at least 1 or 2 from budda also.. but atm cant remember if other dev/staff have written a "dev-blog post" in the forums)

well you could make it based on direct involvement.  Jackal Points.  Maybe affinities could be purchased in the shop with those points, and obviously... a LOT of points involved.  May require two play throughs?

31 minutes ago, Haseroths said:

>Frontline war
>pve server
pick one lol

Why not both? Player versus Environment and a frontline war against the environment are not mutually exclusive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ecrir said:

Why not both? Player versus Environment and a frontline war against the environment are not mutually exclusive.

I like this too.  Rifts were always about fighting against some sort of army, they weren't wandering around aimlessly, they were actively trying to invade Wurm.  It'd make sense to have us invading Jackal, building strongholds, villages and just trying to build a strong group up to assault them where they live.  All the while, they're trying to counter-attack, we have moments of calm, but they will attempt to stage assaults and siege our settlements.   Encouraging us to stand together instead of just spreading out and working on our own, fighting as a coordinated group and supporting each other. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zahnweh said:

I like this too.  Rifts were always about fighting against some sort of army, they weren't wandering around aimlessly, they were actively trying to invade Wurm.  It'd make sense to have us invading Jackal, building strongholds, villages and just trying to build a strong group up to assault them where they live.  All the while, they're trying to counter-attack, we have moments of calm, but they will attempt to stage assaults and siege our settlements.   Encouraging us to stand together instead of just spreading out and working on our own, fighting as a coordinated group and supporting each other. 

I don't think you can have an AI in this game that's so organized and plans things like that.. The only way i see this happen is if there is somebody that can control them.. so a sort of hybrid soft pvp..

Other option would be to fill the map with tethered mobs that respawn at intervals and gradually get stronger as you go to the middle of the corrupted area, and even add some sort of penalty for fighting there, getting random poison wounds, cr nerfs (not really necessary now), have the mobs attack your mount sometimes, make the mobs run faster so they can catch up, etc.

Yet with everything i've said above it would make the map even more sadistic than it is.. you would have to grind exclusively on deed and in the green areas, so it's all revolved around grind grind grind.. and I'm not sure how many people want to try that newbie experience every 6 months from scratch.. it's fun now since it's new for a lot of people.. it won't be so much on the second iteration. I haven't seen the main stronghold from the map to see what is waiting for us there.

Btw, can i get a confirmation that the advertised x4 skillgain is actually the epic gain (so no 1-39) which doubles the range of ticks you get, and x2 timers on actions which in theory doubles the skill you get in the same amount of time ? I'm asking this because some skills feel like freedom (fighting, shields, weapon, faith grind, etc)

3 minutes ago, faty said:

Btw, can i get a confirmation that the advertised x4 skillgain is actually the epic gain (so no 1-39) which doubles the range of ticks you get, and x2 timers on actions which in theory doubles the skill you get in the same amount of time ? I'm asking this because some skills feel like freedom (fighting, shields, weapon, faith grind, etc)

Uses the 1-100 system like epic does, skill tick size is based on timer size so increased action speed doesn't increase skillgain. fighting and faith aren't effected by it, weapon skillgain is based on how much damage you do which means low ql weapons and low body str are tanking your gains, shield skillgain is based on damage blocked so not afk killing trolls and similar mobs without dying is also tanking your gains. you're also most likely not using high coc like you would on freedom.

5 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Uses the 1-100 system like epic does, skill tick size is based on timer size so increased action speed doesn't increase skillgain. fighting and faith aren't effected by it, weapon skillgain is based on how much damage you do which means low ql weapons and low body str are tanking your gains, shield skillgain is based on damage blocked so not afk killing trolls and similar mobs without dying is also tanking your gains. you're also most likely not using high coc like you would on freedom.

Yep, that's what i figured.. most people i think were expecting ticks 4 times bigger rather than what we have now.

17 hours ago, LordLouis said:

I assumed that at the borders of the corruption there would be rift like things, lots of mobs

Far away into the corrupted area my guy recently needed to go to find a horse as where I saw them much closer several days ago they had all been killed off (bison, bulls, cows too) by I would suppose leather workers for their hides. Since that time the area has been barren of these creatures as the respawning there isn't happening so I had to make a much longer journey into another direction.

Up into the woods some way from the coast in that area I saw a couple of horses. Just as I led one I saw a smaller version of those red rift beacons and a few seconds later several of those rift foxey guys started to chase him so I had to run for my life in what seemed to be the direction of the coast since I had not even a poor compass to provide some direction. As he ran a few more mobs added onto the chase like a troll, spider and scorpion. Seemingly out of nowhere a rift beast added onto the pack until I finally lost them all except the ever pursuing rift beast drooling at the prospect of a tasty foreigner in his lands. Then off to the side glancing I noticed another rift beast had joined his friend in the chase.

Almost out of stamina now with a few wounds slowing him further I was at the coastline where in passing there before I had noticed a cave entrance with a fence surround and a gate set for all to enter. With the last fading of stamina he reached the gate and the safety inside. The poor horse still led behind terrified followed inside quickly enough. As I moved further inside calming both my new friend and myself we both seemed to share a victorious shake of the head and a sigh of relief at our narrow escape.

Not so easy for the lone foreigner in these lands with no deed, compatriots, fine armor, weapon and the skill of a mount to ride, I would say. At least now he has gone out and captured 2 horses to pull the cart around...

=Ayes=

I was very much expecting that the Freedom beacons would have to form a chain... Just being able to go deep into the corruption a make one doesn't seem quite right. But, if that is how it is this time around....

• Like 3
  • Like Copy 1

23 hours ago, LordLouis said:

This will likely give some hot shot nerds some ammo of neeeh you're dumb look how clever I am etc,  however can someone shed me some light as to the purpose of this excursion?

So far its rather different to what I thought it would be. There is corruption, to push it back you need to build a beacon, great idea except you can build it anywhere in the corruption? I am seeing random deeds in random places everywhere, I thought you would have to build them on the outskirts to push it back. 

I assumed that at the borders of the corruption there would be rift like things, lots of mobs, penalties, idk. Things to work at and battle together with as many people as possible helping, front line war. 

Is there any penalty for going in the corruption? Seems like you can just wander in and hunt and do what ever you like with no penalty.

Is it just - you cannot deed and its a different colour? Is there no gradually increasing difficulty as you get closer to the centre of the corruption? 

The starting out again part with friends is fun, just wondering what the long term goal is really. 

Thanks. 

Yeah same here. I was expecting some sort of on going war, while we pushed in, they would try to take over controlled territory etc. Turns out we just have freedom with grayscale in some parts of the map until you turn on the colors...

• Like 1

It's best to look at this as a beta.  They will improve it with time, but I like the direction it's going.   Maybe stay out this round if you don't like it and see what changes they make to next round.  I don't think Jackal is going away anytime soon, as it's quite popular (100-150 people at any given time).

rather... if you can - get in.. and see what you do not like.. and provide feedback instead?? How else do you expect to change something?(not that you have to change anything, but if you'd like to see something different.. you have some voice that could have some weight.. maybe)

• Like 3

Well I have noticed there is a journal task for Jackal, something to work towards at least. I can see how it would be tough to implement Ai for sieges etc, I think Freedom beacons should have a minimum distance apart for chaining etc and perhaps a server layout that could allow this sort of mechanic, but Ill take it how it is and try get these tasks done. Maybe some feedback will be taken on for the next round. 

• Like 1

What they could do is just have players volunteer to be part of the siege (I.E. play as rift dogs, trolls, or jackals).   That would be fun for both sides as long as it was balanced correctly and the rewards were interesting.  Maybe disable town guards and then siege and turn them back on after the siege?  Saturday and Sunday are siege days?

So much time and effort put into this and yet... 
Nobody asked for this.
I haven't even gone to Jackal yet because of how little it interests me. I would've loved to see something like a meditation rework or fixing the priest overhaul to not be super unbalanced/broken in many ways. (Not speaking from a PvP perspective btw) It's just... Boring. And I don't care for it.

I'm going to make a post as of why I believe the Priest Overhaul is broken btw.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 8:09 AM, Ecrir said:

Conceptually no.

But the developers have proven again how incompetent they are in designing a satisfying PvE experience, because as has been noted previously, there is no frontline. If beacons had to be chained, it wouldn't completely defeat the idea of "pushing a frontier".

If spawns were more substantial in the corruption, there would be less of a bottleneck in certain resources and opportunities that are crucial to develop both your skills and your gear.

If people had been spawned randomly with some way to return easily to Freedom, or at least spread out in different starter towns, there wouldn't be so much bottlenecking with animal spawns and deed and project spaces.

If lodestones were easy to build (or at least possible to build at all in the earlier stages), we wouldn't have to travel half of our playtime to get anywhere to begin with.

Right now all I can do is bumming around, stressing over how I can't get anything done here without dedicating all my free time to Jackal only, which is just not even an option physically for me. Because you have to travel miles and hours to find mobs, either to get some fighting done or get important resources that may bottleneck your characters development severely. I tried to join up with a larger deed, but it seems people are constantly unavailable and if they do something, they do it while I'm offline. And I can't be arsed to spend what little playtime I have sailing half an hour anywhere from the lodestone, and I hate the idea to give up on playing on Freedom completely, but that's the only viable option.

All the time ever since this launched, I remember @Angelklaine's words about this...can't find the quote but it was along the lines of "You'll better blow our minds with this or it'll be dead in the water."

Well, consider me unblown. I really wanted to this to succeed despite how much it flies in the face of what has been wished for over years, but when you get into it...it's even worse. I completely and utterly resent the notion that I basically have to give up on Freedom to participate in Jackal in a way that doesn't make me feel like I'm wasting my playtime completely with rowing a boat up and down a lake that has no spawns safe for an isopod for 3 hours looking for anything at all.

I still see so much potential in this if they stuck more true to the original codename in what kind of experience they're trying to go for with this, but none of it is being tapped into. I'm watching the further development. From Freedom though. This juice ain't worth the squeeze yet. Not by any stretch. If this was supposed to appeal to the established players* in any way, shape or form, I can't think of a way it could have missed the mark harder.

*this doesn't mean there are no established players that don't enjoy Jackal. But they're enjoying it because they are willing to give up on Freedom during this time, so imho they aren't viewing this as "established players" but as a chance to start out fresh. Which is fine. But not everyone is both established and willing to go back to square 0, and that's my point.

On 9/8/2019 at 8:05 PM, Legios said:

Yeah same here. I was expecting some sort of on going war, while we pushed in, they would try to take over controlled territory etc. Turns out we just have freedom with grayscale in some parts of the map until you turn on the colors...

And there it is, my whole gripe in a single sentence.

Jackal is not substantially different enough from Freedom to justify giving up your entire existence there unless you want to punish yourself with regrinding everything. And for some, that's fine. Gwyn, who had taken me in while I dabbled about, told me he lieks the landrush scenario, while I detest it. That's fine. There are different tastes. But it gives me the impression that the people who enjoy it, enjoy it for reasons different to what the devs had conceptualized.

Unless it's really just regrinding packaged as "content", as Oblivionnreaver aptly pointed out.

Edited by Flubb

Templars should be removed after 1 month , people had enough time to build guard tower if needed .

All I see now are dead mobs and no players .

The portals back should have been able to be made by resources you find on freedom , so you would need clean area for that .

I have traveled the entire east section north to south its ok but rinse and repeat for décor and mobs .

been heading deeper west but the terrain is crappy as hell even for weta .

So far this feels no different then a new server with only new players permitted .... pristine release setup  .........

I have not heard or seen in chat anyone going to do the corruption pillars  , all I see is people hacking there wares for coin ..

Guess a new cash venue opened up Instead of a war /siege   ....

Lol, it's so easy to make a feel like an army trying to push freedomers out of jackal that me, wich have waaaay low programming skills, can at least have a glimpse of what to do: event wich periodically spawn x monsters wich, in AI, checks for the most near freedom beacon and move to there.

Like this, it will be pretty hard to live outside the area where most freedomers are and can help togheter, but i can also say that in the actual state, a single o two big alliances just takes all the game and server operations for themselves and you have no other choice than get into one of them or have no chance at doing something interesting before the server closes, wich may even happen waaaay before 6 months, as 2 weeks in we already have ppl with skills at 50 and, i think, at least 50-60 fs.

Overall, i think this is one of the best additions the devs made in these last years, but it feels very poorly evaluated and programmed, and that the players will endure another time in wich they will be flailed at in an attemp to understand really what to do with the game in his whole (anyone thought that in 6 months by 6 months either i live on jackal or cannot even see one of the fabled skins we are on jackal for, and who none have even saw a glimpse?)

• Like 2