Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Website overhaul

Hi Everyone!

Over the coming weeks I'll be working on a full overhaul of most of the content of the website, starting with the new mainpage.

I'll be working on the content pages as well as a few alternate landing pages for ongoing advertising so please feel free to share your thoughts, feedback and ideas! 

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

please feel free to share your thoughts

how can our feet smell when they don't have a nose

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

please feel free to share your thoughts

how can my nose run even though it doesn't have any legs

• Like 2

Good luck.

Ongoing advertising, first thing I ever heard about it, but we could use more of it.

• Like 3

Definitely need to get some screenshots up showcasing how amazing wurm can be. Battles, landscape, buildings, decorating and of course some highlights from the fun we have when we all get together :D 

• Like 4

YES......... most screenshots are morally.. dated... could use some of the epic creations from the screenshot thread, definitely... more new screens to show the modern renderer/shadows... even tho I'm not a fan of the performance drop 2nd adds.. good looks...

News section used to have odd multiplication, I'm a bit lazy to check and show... but there are/were threads with title/image/and link to actual longer news forum thread.. where players usually comment... making the short version odd to exist... almost could swear that.. webside links used to not always but mostly link to the short version.. making it a journey to get from news on website to news thread on forum(I'm lazy.. made impression for me..🙄)

Social media links are(were? nvm.. can see them on the main page, at mid' of the page) a bit hard to find, maybe it's worth to add instagram profile for the game.. and to share the monthly picks that are posted with news there, or pics from events, HQ new screens that pop around the forums and such...

Have you all even checked out the main page and media page?

• Like 2

Please fix the year in the footer.

Edit: Thanks 🙂

Edited by Wulfgar
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 10:07 PM, Retrograde said:

Hi Everyone!

Over the coming weeks I'll be working on a full overhaul of most of the content of the website, starting with the new mainpage.

I'll be working on the content pages as well as a few alternate landing pages for ongoing advertising so please feel free to share your thoughts, feedback and ideas! 

I'm trying to think of something, but my biggest suggestions is that you need to really catch attention with the front page.   I'm not really much of a web designer so I have no idea what would work for that, I didn't even get drawn in through the front page.  It was from word of mouth that I found Wurm Online.  Highlighting some community made things, particularly showcasing the different servers and how they are different from each other.   Just something to think of.   I'm always the sort of person who loves highlighting aspects of the community, especially the one that Wurm has and the accomplishments that have been done.  It takes a lot of work to make a place look thriving, and look like people live there. 

don't forget, everyone has the option to film their deed and add it to the thread in the Showtime Theatre, hell i'd do it for you if you asked me.
there is no minimum standard, all are welcome.

Edited by Steveleeb

Images load direct img link instead of some preview or gallery or w/e modern method, is that intended? (talking about images on https://www.wurmonline.com/)

Video below social and news is a bit dated I believe.. lots of the scenes show old graphics, if a new potential player sees that.. could skip the game with the wrong impression, video's GOOD but.. maybe not the best 1st impression when it comes to show current graphics

To me it's a bit odd to have social links 'randomly' places in mid of all content, but that's just me I guess.. I'm used to all being at top or bottom of pages, that's all

Widescreens, which is probably what's a lot more common.. have a lot of dead space on left/right of the website, a ton more useful information could be shown there instead of scrolling to find content.

Further more, what do actual users of the website use the most and what content should be focused to show to make the website more useful, rather than just showing stuff, are there plans to show forum events, new dev b/vlog, news, etc.. or that remains moderated only on the forums?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Images load direct img link instead of some preview or gallery or w/e modern method, is that intended? (talking about images on https://www.wurmonline.com/)

Video below social and news is a bit dated I believe.. lots of the scenes show old graphics, if a new potential player sees that.. could skip the game with the wrong impression, video's GOOD but.. maybe not the best 1st impression when it comes to show current graphics

To me it's a bit odd to have social links 'randomly' places in mid of all content, but that's just me I guess.. I'm used to all being at top or bottom of pages, that's all

Widescreens, which is probably what's a lot more common.. have a lot of dead space on left/right of the website, a ton more useful information could be shown there instead of scrolling to find content.

Further more, what do actual users of the website use the most and what content should be focused to show to make the website more useful, rather than just showing stuff, are there plans to show forum events, new dev b/vlog, news, etc.. or that remains moderated only on the forums?

We do have a media gallery but the layout looked quite silly

and the trailer is dated, a new one is in the works but I chose this one over the voiced one because I feel this one gave a better sense of a grand scale of wurm, it's better than no video at the moment. 

Social links are nested with news, I kind of imagined the ordering as:

1. Intro
  2. Call to action
  3. News and updates
  4. Media

So I hope that makes sense, especially since embedding a feed wasn't looking so great

not much I can do about widescreen formats, widescreens still aren't the most common, and it gets way more bogged down trying to cater to it all. 

The news is next to the social media links, so it's all in there. 

• Like 1

Hmm. this is how the menu bar looks for me now (laptop, 1366x768)

j7vpto8.png

18 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Hmm. this is how the menu bar looks for me now (laptop, 1366x768)

j7vpto8.png

Yeah, I've got the same problem and I've got a 1980x1080 laptop. 

Fixed, turns out the menu bar was taking whatever the title was. 

Thinking I'm going to remove game info as the wiki is already under community and replace it with something, maybe

1 hour ago, Wiolo said:

Please work on the shop.

Unrelated to this I'm afraid. 

The shop pages are hosted outside of wordpress, on the login server (thus the jenn001 stuff)

If you mean cash shop, I'm not the guy you want working on a secure webshop.

• Like 1

I'm just glad that damned "Wurm Unlimited" overlay disappeared since there was no way to dismiss it.

• Like 1

Looks fine here 24" @1920x1200 / Chrome Version 76.0.3809.132 (Official Build) (64-bit)

d9667652de5a71490de5736ea8edc0ee.jpg

Images from the guides explore/build/survive are kind of old, that's 1 thing.. the other is.. no matter how much the front page and all pages on the website improve, eventually something have to lead people to these pages to turn into new players, seo pros unite and "flood the webs" with info about wurm :)

Mobile version looks good, could use an actual mobile configuration, not needed but wouldn't hurt to have.

Screenshot_20190909-174639_Chrome.jpg 

On 9/9/2019 at 1:06 PM, Retrograde said:

If you mean cash shop, I'm not the guy you want working on a secure webshop.

is this a thing anymore even?