Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

Pelts!!!

There seems to be a serious lack of feline creatures and dogs on this server from which to obtain pelts by butchering them. Most players in chat are selling their poor souls just to borrow one for a while much less have one for themselves. My guy took a long journey into the corrupted wilderness with not a one sighted amongst the plentiful horses, buffalo, sheep and other regular aggros, as well as the ever present rift dogs that will chase after you for miles in their fury. The problem is as everyone knows, that further progress in various skills is stopped without them available for improving items.

I propose 3 solutions or options for this issue:

1. Simplest one is just to have the Traders at the starter camp sell them as they do Steel & Flints.

2. Significantly increase the spawns of feline creatures and dogs. Then at least players can go out to fight and butcher these creatures for pelts.

3. Put pelts on the butchering list of these rift dogs since well, they are dogs. Even then they are tough fights which currently need Tower Guard tanks and a few players to kill them after a fairly long fight.

The current situation is really unacceptable and somehow no one has brought it to the attention to the Devs through these forums. We have worked through the crude tools to create regular iron tools situation but with no pelt butchering creatures available further progress is stopped in these aspects.

=Ayes=

• Like 3

A couple years ago I was really getting into playing on GV (starter server from long ago) and the critters there have long since all been hunted out.  No pelts at all.  Trick was to just spam new tools and weapons and hope one of them would not require a pelt for a long time.  Royal pain, but it worked for quite some time.  Eventually after a few months, another GV player logged in and offered me an old pelt.  I still have that pelt :)

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 1

We have a few pelts in our village and it's only been what, a few days since Jackal opened?

They're rare, but give it time and there will be more.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

We have a few pelts in our village and it's only been what, a few days since Jackal opened?

They're rare, but give it time and there will be more.

Time it is, namely the problem. We are running a race against time indeed, as jackal wont stay forever. And with our progress halted, all subsequent fun and thrill is halted too.

• Like 3

Yes we need more pelts and more low level monsters will help get fighting skill gains faster

Just drop a few rat spawners near starter area like 5. or sell on trader

• Like 3

They need to add a recipe for "Crude Pelt"  which could be made from foraged items and have a QL of 1/3 the ingredients QL.

• Like 3

go out and hunt for a rat spawner?

its like a dangerous server and stuff you gotta leave deed sometime

As long as animals with pelts continue to spawn, I don't see the problem.

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

As long as animals with pelts continue to spawn, I don't see the problem.

Well, the problem is to have all tools, weapon, and armor stuck between ql5 and ql18, few around 20, and to be unable to skill up by imping. Jackal was much fun when starting all from scratch, but this blockade is a showstopper and funkiller. Sure, you and villagers, as someone who started bit earlier, and killed most of the pelt bearing creatures around the camp, the problem does not exist for you.

I shall stay tuned whether the situation changes.

• Like 4

To add that: I already experienced a "pelt crisis" when I was a fresh player mid december '17 to new year 18. That crisis was, in a way, self made, as I had stubbornly decided not to accept outside help (many offered to mail a pelt) but to develop the character on my own - except the generous newbie equipment on Freedom.

Soon I ran into the pelt issues. When you are low on skill levels, your butchering knife if you have any low ql too, practically every butchering will produce anything but a pelt: "You fail to produce a pelt", every time. I killed all dogs between F/G12-14 and H14 I could find, and a couple of cats (no rats there). Finally, after nearly 2 weeks, a mountain lion did the trick, my first pelt.

In fact, it did not so much harm me, then. The tools I got up to ql10-15, rarely 20, sufficed all my needs as a basic account player, and there was so much to do and to learn until I finally premmed after 40 days (I was certain to prem after the first week anyway). But imagine I widely had the whole Vrock Landing area for myself, and grace to guard towers and starter city templars, the risk was moderate and death infrequent.

Now 120 people with newbie skills and improvised weapons (no ql50 longsword) and armour are hunting the last few rats while themselves prey to the tireless rift beasts. And the key to my success was butchering and filletting endless streams of meat, from dogs, cats, farm animals, wolves, and bears, spiders, and trolls even, mostly killed by tower guards and templars. So my butchering experience had chances to rise. Compare that to Jackal where every player preys on the corpse of a fallen beast. even 20x or 100x skill gain won't help so much.

Having practically all my tools, cart, weapon, and armor requiring pelt for imping, I decided to give up.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum

Ekcin i am in the same situation just spam stuff and imp hoping one will not require a pelt for a long time... throwing the pelt needers into the altar for sac and just grinding body control to 21 to get to be able to ride get some ql21 chainmail and hope to go roaming around untill i get one.

So don't quit just grind body control into mount into being able to wear heavy armor into roaming for a pelt or sit and dig/mine/woodcut for body stats and mats while waiting for someone to sell you one.

I mean if you get a pelt but have 30mining would still need to stop imping and get some better lumps so just grind the mining and such now i bet in 1-2 weeks the pelts will start to be sold out by the ppl that have one now and can imp and you could trade them high ql mats if you get the chance.

L.E. Even tho i do agree the current situation is a bummer. We all spawn in same spot then start with nothing and i get the ideea love the challenge but then why sell steel and flint? Just remove it or add 10-20ql pelts to the merchant too.

A group of players is fine beacuse they can have 1-2 tend to the base camp while 1-2 go out and hunt.

As a solo player is alot harder and it should be (strenght in numbers) but there should be more  spawns i have not seen a dog or a rat on jackal yet and just a butchered cat corpse.

Edited by Cipacadrinho

Id say the spawn in general needs a tweak, for a 'dangerous' server there isn't a lot about. 

A pelt can be acquired with venturing into the corruption quite easily, you may need to head a little further than just the edges though, so do expect danger. Play it simple and smart, many have boats that they use to travel around and find untouched areas 

• Like 2

The problem is no one is killing the hounds and they are taking up most of the spawns. You guys need to lead them to a tower and kill them off in order to make room for different spawns. I've noticed barely any animals on jackal, the water filled with hounds.

22 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Well, the problem is to have all tools, weapon, and armor stuck between ql5 and ql18, few around 20, and to be unable to skill up by imping. Jackal was much fun when starting all from scratch, but this blockade is a showstopper and funkiller. Sure, you and villagers, as someone who started bit earlier, and killed most of the pelt bearing creatures around the camp, the problem does not exist for you.

I shall stay tuned whether the situation changes.

I started a day or two after everyone else and most of the starting area was already deeded and void of wildlife bar rift dogs, and was able to find a rat spawner within a 10 minute walk of the starting town. It's right beside a freedom beacon on the lake so it's easy to locate. Alas without good butchering Xallo managed to screw up 9 rats/lions/wildcats before we got a pelt, but they certainly are out and about. Of course they're all dead right at the starting point, you have to go out a bit and find them.

The server is huge but everyone is clustered in a 10 minute radius right now, this is going to change from "pelts" to "hides" to "furs for beds" soon enough

• Like 1

On 9/3/2019 at 1:03 PM, Killroth said:

Just drop a few rat spawners near starter area like 5. or sell on trader

There's a rat spawner at a Freedom Beacon just a quick hike from the starter deed. I think it's just out of local.

For what it's worth, I failed a ton of rats/lions/cats near where I set up, but ventured out South and eventually butchered a couple.

Now, I moved out to the outskirts of the server up North, and there's tons of pelt mobs around...... (I also learned the server is HUGE)

There is clearly a market opportunity here.

Someone eager to earn some silver will sooner or later put a merchant up at Camp Freedom and sell pelts, sheets and furs.

I’ve been walking around about 1-2 hours a day looking for a pelt. I’ve found a dog once, but failed to butcher it. As annoying as it is to not being able to grind important skills without a pelt, there is a charm to it. Also a market.

Go out there and feel the satisfaction of hard work dear wurmians!😉😂😂

Edited by Sharkin

Well my guy was able to buy a pelt from another player, so now I can adapt the attitude of some other players and show no further concern for the issue.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

okay i've changed my opinion on the subject, when i went out hunting on 2nd day was lots of mobs and got a few pelts, i went out for a walk today and there's literally 0 mobs in this game not named rift beast or wild boar, they must have broken the spawns since then lol, it's eerie walking around a dead server with a grey filter

spawn deh mobs

I have roamed around the countryside a couple of times equipped with nothing else than a 10ql huge axe and a 10ql butchering knife. I also havent seen anything else than boars and rift beasts.

Many people seem to have found wetas and horses early on, but those mobs are all long gone now.

In fact, the countryside and forests are so deserted that it is a bit boring. Vast parts are just empty.

The boars have been culled, rift beast spawns should be lower too 

I get weta's and pelts for sale everyday so they does spawn tho that server spawns are so small as indie one

We have  a wild cat den in the corruption near our deed.  It's not spawned a single wild cat that we've seen as yet.  The steppe by us is completely uninhabited as has been for days.

I've had zero problems finding pelts. 
I don't know what game you guys have been playing but I've never seen these creatures just hanging out near populated areas... even in xanadu I've always had to run at least 15-30 minutes into the wilderness to find such creatures. My advice is build a boat and get out there. I've been working my ass off dodging creatures and searching for these, even if my motives are strictly monetary I can safely say if you go out you will find some.
RnO7cgH.jpg

Edited by Legios
  • Like 3
  • Cat 1