Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Jackal - Status Update

wait btw @Retrogradeis the jackal server actually 3x skill? Because yesterday i spent almost 2 hours doing carpentry stuff and only got to 5.6 carpentry. I was wondering about this and apparently im not the only one who has noticed this. Someone also said you guys set it as 1x skill until everyone had access to the server. Is this true?

• Like 1

Thank you for continuing to update us on this keenan. Little sad I cant do more on jackal atm, BUT Im very happy for the transparency you are giving us!

• Like 1

One thing that I've noticed and dislike is how quickly people have deeded over important scarce resources like clay, preventing other people from having access to such things.  I dunno.  It certainly makes the hardest part of Jackal not the terrain or the monsters, but other people and general greediness.  That might just be me.   I don't really like how silver runs things in a server that wipes every six months. 

I'm in a group that deeded over the clay near the starter deed. You cant deed everywhere on the server because you cant deed over the corrupted lands, so the spots for the deeds are limited for now. Is it really that suprising that people want to have strategic resources on their deed? Nobody deeded these spots becuse of 'greediness' or to ' prevent other people from having access to such things '. Besides, any player who came by our deed and asked for it, got as much clay as they could carry. If you need some, come to Ankh-morpork and I'll dig you as much as you want.

Not sure what do you mean about the silver, do you really think we're profiting from a  few clay tiles? Rofl. There's clay all around, you just have to look, or maybe raise a tile from the water.

That's a lot of negativity my dude, just chill out and enjoy the new server. Join a village or just roam around and have fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vomusu said:

I'm in a group that deeded over the clay near the starter deed. You cant deed everywhere on the server because you cant deed over the corrupted lands, so the spots for the deeds are limited for now. Is it really that suprising that people want to have strategic resources on their deed? Nobody deeded these spots becuse of 'greediness' or to ' prevent other people from having access to such things '. Besides, any player who came by our deed and asked for it, got as much clay as they could carry. If you need some, come to Ankh-morpork and I'll dig you as much as you want.

Not sure what do you mean about the silver, do you really think we're profiting from a  few clay tiles? Rofl. There's clay all around, you just have to look, or maybe raise a tile from the water.

That's a lot of negativity my dude, just chill out and enjoy the new server. Join a village or just roam around and have fun.

Just a little tough : u can set permission to dig clay to anyone so it would make it accessible for all

7 minutes ago, cybaru said:

Just a little tough : u can set permission to dig clay to anyone so it would make it accessible for all

Yes, but sadly I've had a few unpleasant interactions with griefers in the past, and that would allow everyone to dig out our farms, or destroy the ramps. I'm happy to dig some clay for people in need :) Maybe i'll set up a bsb with some free clay, we'll see after the server restart.

Edited by Vomusu

No that will allow only dig resources so (clay/tar/peat/moss) and nothing else check permissions

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cybaru said:

No that will allow only dig resources so (clay/tar/peat/moss) and nothing else check permissions

Really? Well I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

Thank you very much for the details and the fix @Keenan ! Awesome job, no lag since! 

Not to derail the topic but

Non-Citizens can dig clay in Ankh-Morpork. 

Please bring your own dirt to raise the clay tiles, if i keep falling in to a hole, it will be annoying and the permission will be revoked. We have spare clay so people who ask for it, get it. 

It's the same scenario that happens on Exodus. I blocked off a piece of my own land to stop a handful (5 or 6) people annoying me on purpose and basically griefing. BOTH of players who have asked to be able to pass the gates were added to the permissions. 

It's not that hard to speak to someone. 

In the last 2 years, only 2 people actually asked if i can open the gate for them and they have permanent access. It's not rocket surgery, people, just ask.

As Vomusu said, people who asked for clay, got it. Now everyone can dig it, as long as it doesn't become a chore to fix the tiles. 

We will make them flat sooner rather than later but for now, some digging skill is required to dig them due to the slope. We will put up signs ( @Pingpong) to make sure people know where it is and they will be open to public as long as we don't start falling in to trenches because of people who care less than others.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Keenan said:

In an amazing turn of events, Hetzner was able to replace the RAM of the server. I've been running a tester on it and all checks out! We'll be taking all servers down for a hot fix and then Jackal will return with all the other servers right after. This should resolve the lag!

*huzzah for Hetzer and happenstance*

There is a large clay patch on the hill on the perimeter of Camp Freedom. Above that other group deed (forget name) that faces the lake. Not near water as clay normally is so I guess players don't expect to find it there. Convenient access for all that start there. Along the side of a slate paved road that leads down to that deed.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
add
  • Like 2